The Voice's Unpopular Opinions Thread V2

istersay

1 hour ago, ikwonic said:

Also, not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I very much preferred Xavier to Jeremy? I think a lot of my criticism of Jeremy's performance comes from the arrangement. The soft piano/harp moments were pretty, but also made the performance feel sleepy and detracted from the power the song has. I was also a bit disappointed in some of the parts of the song they chose to cut at the beginning that would've helped create more of a build up (specifically: everything from "A girl who's scared sometimes..." to "I feel so all alone"). Jeremy was for the most part technically perfect, but his falsetto notes at the end just felt forced and didn't connect at all? Maybe I'm just biased, but Kymberli did so much in her 90 second performance while it felt like Jeremy went nowhere in the 2 minutes he had.

On the other hand, Xavier's performance was MESSY, but yet on a song like the one he chose, it's easy to disguise that as rawness and emotion. His strong moments were really powerful and if they had given Xavier the same pitch correction they give to all the winners of the KOs, it probably would've been a perfect performance and a total breakout moment. I much preferred Xavier's messier yet more emotional performance over Jeremy's. 

disagree, but it was close for me. In the end, the show is called "The Voice", however.

Bella is one of my favorites (well a couple of people have surpassed her after the KOs), but the issue is her high notes verge on grating and annoying and I think she kind of knows that because she seemed really scared to go high in that Chandelier cover. In the few moments she had to go high in the chorus, she seemed stiff and nervous so they high notes came out sounding even worse imo. It's like she knew she had to go high but never fully committed. Her normal singing voice and head voice are great so she should just stick to that imo. 

3 hours ago, ikwonic said:

Also, not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I very much preferred Xavier to Jeremy? I think a lot of my criticism of Jeremy's performance comes from the arrangement. The soft piano/harp moments were pretty, but also made the performance feel sleepy and detracted from the power the song has. I was also a bit disappointed in some of the parts of the song they chose to cut at the beginning that would've helped create more of a build up (specifically: everything from "A girl who's scared sometimes..." to "I feel so all alone"). Jeremy was for the most part technically perfect, but his falsetto notes at the end just felt forced and didn't connect at all? Maybe I'm just biased, but Kymberli did so much in her 90 second performance while it felt like Jeremy went nowhere in the 2 minutes he had.

On the other hand, Xavier's performance was MESSY, but yet on a song like the one he chose, it's easy to disguise that as rawness and emotion. His strong moments were really powerful and if they had given Xavier the same pitch correction they give to all the winners of the KOs, it probably would've been a perfect performance and a total breakout moment. I much preferred Xavier's messier yet more emotional performance over Jeremy's. 

agreed, jeremy was technically the better performer but i feel xavier could have gone far with getting rid of the pitchiness and right song choices like falling slowly and even california girls cause that was a good song choice

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Daillon said:

She has had a strong run so far, I just can’t get past her tone.

Her tone holds her back from becoming my personal fav, but it doesn't bother me to the extent that I can't enjoy her performances. 

I lowkey loved how her tone fit into that Kelsea Ballerini song though.

i don’t know how unpopular this is but i honestly LOVED Gymani’s KO!! as i’ve watched it more and more, it has become one of my favorite performances this season. i thought it was a really cool song choice and arrangement, and i’m excited to see what she does in the POs!

• Like 10

3 hours ago, KimberlyxKyla said:

i don’t know how unpopular this is but i honestly LOVED Gymani’s KO!! as i’ve watched it more and more, it has become one of my favorite performances this season. i thought it was a really cool song choice and arrangement, and i’m excited to see what she does in the POs!

I'm in love with the part where she's like:

"Y'all happy? Here we go!"

Edited by British Man
  • Like 5

50 minutes ago, TheVoiceFan2 said:

Lives in my head. rent. free........ 🎶heeere we go🎶

Also the 🎶we'll piss of the neighBOOOOOOOOOOOrs🎶 right after is golden

Thank God I don’t live in an apartment anymore bc I’d piss off my neighbors with how much I’ve looped that snippet 💀

My own semi-unpopular opinion: Jonathan’s KO wasn’t bad. It just wasn’t the right song choice for the setting and considering his opponent.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, VintageVoice said:

My own semi-unpopular opinion: Jonathan’s KO wasn’t bad. It just wasn’t the right song choice for the setting and considering his opponent.

That’s accurate. It wasn’t a bad performance, but he was against Wendy, and the steals this season were really good.

• Like 1

This season's Team Blake heading into the Playoffs is the weakest to date.  And no, before someone has a heart attack, a coronary, or a stroke, I don't mean in terms of singing.  Everyone but one seems to have strong voices in their own right.  I'm talking about in terms of audience support.  Just which of them are particularly catnip to the voting audience?

Lana is very good, but she's a female country artist.  We've seen the main voting audience doesn't necessarily support them unless they're young teenagers like Danielle or Chevel.

Peedy is just too polarizing.  Some enjoy his Elvis/showman schtick, while others are growing incredibly tired of it.  Polarizing doesn't really mean a win nowadays.

The voting audience just flat-out seems to dislike LiBianca.

Wendy's Knockout did well with the audience, but how do we exactly know that she is going to keep up that momentum when the Playoffs start?  How do we know that she only did well with the audience in the Knockouts because of her song choice (which really is a classic)?  How do we know she'll really keep their support and not just make it through the rounds because of her coach?

Paris is the only one I think could actually gain some ground, since he seems moldable into other genres the voting audience would like.

There.  I said it.

Edited by Rodney
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rodney said:

This season's Team Blake heading into the Playoffs is the weakest to date.  And no, before someone has a heart attack, a coronary, or a stroke, I don't mean in terms of singing.  Everyone but one seems to have string voices in their own right.  I'm talking about in terms of audience support.  Just which of them are particularly catnip to the voting audience?

Lana is very good, but she's a female country artist.  We've seen the main voting audience doesn't necessarily support them unless they're young teenagers like Danielle or Chevel.

Peedy is just too polarizing.  Some enjoy his Elvis/showman stick, while others are growing incredibly tired of it.  Polarizing doesn't necessarily mean a win nowadays.

The voting audience just flat-out seems to dislike LiBianca.

Wendy's Knockout did well with the audience, but how do we exactly know that she is going to keep up that momentum when the Playoffs start?  How do we know that she only did well with the audience in the Knockouts because of her song choice (which really is a classic)?  How do we know she'll really keep support and not just make it through the rounds because her coach?

Paris is the only one I think could actually gain some ground, since he seems moldable into other genres the voting audience would like.

Agree. I think this time there won't be more than 1 contestant in the finale from Team Blake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gustavo527 said:

All of Raquel's performances so far has been very good. Just because she hasn't filled the expectations you have about her doesn't mean she is bad or "underwhelming"

I don't have anything against Raquel, and her KO has actually grown on me, but isn't that what underwhelming means :dead:

Edited by FloorWax
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

All of Raquel's performances so far has been very good. Just because she hasn't filled the expectations you have about her doesn't mean she is bad or "underwhelming"

This! I actually don’t get the hate for her when she’s delivered with every performance?? Her only somewhat iffy performance was her battle, but she did the best she could given the meh song choice.

• Like 1