The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

21 minutes ago, colemanftw said:

This has to be his worst performance. He showcased every single trick there is. I actually like his other performances but this is just unbearable.

I see what you mean, but I don`t blame him for that. He was on the very last taping, and only Alicia could turn around. He had to show what he had in order to get a chair to turn at that point.

8 hours ago, Daillon said:

Yes :P I didn’t care for Lauren’s run as much as other people (mostly due to song choices) but I love that one.

This...but this Blind. Ugh. What a beautiful tone. It was just a boring unknown country song every week though..She deserved so much better. 

• Like 1

There are some things I’ll probably never understand about contestants who come on this show. 

a) We all know the poor track record of winners from this show. There may be success stories that develop later, but as of right now, nope. Danielle and Cassadee had marginal success, but they were on earlier seasons, when people still cared a little. That was a LONG time ago. Why does every winner think it’s going to be different for them? Do they do everything in their power to stack the odds in their favor, or do they just wait for things to come to them? Some are more aggressive than others at pursuing their dreams, but I think every single one of them could do more. 

b) Given that poor track record, why do they keep auditioning for the show? 

1 minute ago, TeamAudra said:

There are some things I’ll probably never understand about contestants who come on this show. 

a) We all know the poor track record of winners from this show. There may be success stories that develop later, but as of right now, nope. Danielle and Cassadee had marginal success, but they were on earlier seasons, when people still cared a little. That was a LONG time ago. Why does every winner think it’s going to be different for them? Do they do everything in their power to stack the odds in their favor, or do they just wait for things to come to them? Some are more aggressive than others at pursuing their dreams, but I think every single one of them could do more. 

Probably because 99% of them are all unaware of the things you mentioned :haha: or maybe they still want to go with it to see if they somehow get lucky.

To me it has always felt like The Voice is the “go big or go home” moment for most of them when it comes to whether they should pursue a musical career or not.

2 minutes ago, Daillon said:

Probably because 99% of them are all unaware of the things you mentioned :haha: or maybe they still want to go with it to see if they somehow get lucky.

To me it has always felt like The Voice is the “go big or go home” moment for most of them when it comes to whether they should pursue a musical career or not.

I could make a list of several who are “better off,” but I still think they had higher expectations coming off the show. I do believe they think stuff will just fall into their laps because they won a singing show. Maybe that’s true to an extent, for a while, but after 6-12 months, nobody gives a sh-t. They have to earn it, just like everyone else. 

39 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

There are three types of contestants who audition for this show:

1. The people who are genuinely hopeful this will completely change their life. These people are probably delusional about the show's track record for success stories.

2. The people who simply go for the exposure, and don't care where they end up. They get to be on TV, perform in front of millions, and whatever happens happens.

3. The people who want to be in the music industry more than anything, and have the drive to do so. These people are probably better for American Idol if they fall within the upper age limit, and likely ran out of other options.

Honestly, anyone who auditions to get on The Voice for ANYTHING besides exposure is fooling themselves. It's not even the winners nowadays who have a poor track record with success, it's EVERYONE. All the people from this show who have made a name in the music industry were from 10+ seasons ago. 

Speaking of that, if no one gets successful from this show anyway, why would you NOT want to win? Win or lose, the contestants need to have the drive. If a losing contestant has more success than a winner, it's probably because they distanced themselves from the show.

Edited by MatthewPalermo

21 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Putting aside the discussion above, this is also part of the problem. 

“Blake Shelton did it.”

xAp0p0N.png

I saw this in my feed earlier and thought "yikes".

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

I saw this in my feed earlier and thought "yikes".

Yeah, and I don’t see anyone disagreeing in the thread. 

It’s a reminder that people largely vote for the coach, which limits the size of the potential post-show fanbase of the contenders. If you’re a Kelly stan, you may have voted for Kenzie, even though you thought Cam was more deserving, and since you’re upset that Kelly didn’t win, you’re probably not going to support his career. If you’re a Blake stan, you may have voted for Cam, even though you’re a country fan, and probably won’t enjoy his post-show music much. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

It’s a reminder that people largely vote for the coach, which limits the size of the potential post-show fanbase of the contenders. If you’re a Kelly stan, you may have voted for Kenzie, even though you thought Cam was more deserving, and since you’re upset that Kelly didn’t win, you’re probably not going to support his career. If you’re a Blake stan, you may have voted for Cam, even though you’re a country fan, and probably won’t enjoy his post-show music much. 

This is going to be even worse next season.

• Like 2

Just an observation about all of the Voice Alumni on AGT

All four Voice alumni on AGT were four chair turns (Brooke Simpson, Sarah Potenza, Jej Vinson, Chris Weaver)

2 of them (Sarah and Chris) opened the premiere and the other 2 closed their episodes (Brooke closed the premiere that Chris opened)

On top of that, Brooke’s battle partner, Sophia got a “no” in auditions.

7 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I imagine they get paid a little and its still an oppurtunity to have a little vacation and sing on national tv. If you can afford to leave home for a few weeks, why not?

If you’re a teen, it’s something fun to do, and a potential foot in the door in the industry. If you’re a pro musician, it ups your profile a bit, and helps you get gigs. A number of people from the show have gone on to full time working musician or within the music industry careers. They may not be household names, but making a living doing music is nothing to sneeze at as an accomplishment.

Take someone like Lauren Duski, she was working as a home-aid, and now has a publishing deal. For her, that's probably a big win, even if she's not famous. 

Edited by seak05
  • Like 10

3 minutes ago, seak05 said:

If you’re a teen, it’s something fun to do, and a potential foot in the door in the industry. If you’re a pro musician, it ups your profile a bit, and helps you get gigs. A number of people from the show have gone on to full time working musician or within the music industry careers. They may not be household names, but making a living doing music is nothing to sneeze at as an accomplishment.

Take someone like Lauren Duski, she was working as a home-aid, and now has a publishing deal. For her, that's probably a big win, even if she's not famous. 

I think a good number of people that have auditioned consider themselves well served if they manage to make music for a living, even without the superstardom. Of course there are others who geniuenly believe that the show is a path to a Taylor Swift-like career (just to name an example), but at this point, that`s on them.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Lauren was probably making more money as a home-aid than she is from her publishing deal. She’s an example of someone I followed after the show who didn’t seem to have the drive to make it. She’s one of my all-time favorite contestants, but it is what it is. 

This is kind of off-topic, but if you guys have Instagram, it would be great if you could follow Matthew Schuler’s new IG account (@mattiemattschuler_) His previous account was hacked and now he basically has to start over with this new account. 😢 I’m sure he’d really appreciate the support! ^_^

https://instagram.com/mattiemattschuler_?utm_medium=copy_link

Edited by Bk1234
  • Like 7