The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

25 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

They want a good product, they want their people to sound good and to make them look even better, they take the tuning out of the eliminated losers in the pre taped rounds.

That doesn’t make it right though. If you’re going to tune some, tune them all. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I noticed Rachel Mac is the last new member and that was over a week ago. I wonder if they had to halt new registrations, due to a certain someone making more accounts. LOL. Also, there were several new ones myself and others were suspicious of who haven’t been seen or heard from in a while. 🤔

I think istersay has been removing a lot of the spam/promotion accounts that pop up every once in a while, but maybe.

5 minutes ago, Torres said:

I've been wanting to ask.

What does TPTB and TCOs mean?

TPTB = The Power That Be (referred to the Voice producers - the ones in charge)

TCO = The Chosen One (S16’s TCO was Maelyn because they clearly wanted her to win)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Daillon said:

TPTB = The Power That Be (referred to the Voice producers - the ones in charge)

TCO = The Chosen One (S16’s TCO was Maelyn because they clearly wanted her to win)

Thanks🤗 I couldn't have guessed. 

Just found this video. Rick Beato talks about American Idol and The Voice. Mentions sob stories, bad earphone mixes, terrible record deals and so forth. Adam Wakefield is one of the names they bring up.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Vinyl said:

Just found this video. Rick Beato talks about American Idol and The Voice. Mentions sob stories, bad earphone mixes, terrible record deals and so forth. Adam Wakefield is one of the names they bring up.

Love Rick and Palmisano, and I`ve seen this before. I agree with them on several aspects, I know a lot of people go for huge vocal firecrackers and vocal gymnastics, and singers like Dylan and Neil Young wouldn`t make it on this show. Several artists do tend to get the wrong idea that if they can`t do runs or hit high notes their artistry is worthless. 

They also bring up a good point that many contestants feel like on top of the world, and post-show experiences don`t end up comparing to that, which in the end cause several of them to even quit music. And of course the countless contestants that couldn`t keep the momentum they had on TV (On both American Idol and the Voice).

As for bad mixing and sob stories, we already know that this is a tv show, and they need to sell it to the point of exaggeration, it is what it is.

Despite the criticisms, Palmisano brings another solid point mentioning Adam Wakefield: The show is good for exposure, and many people wouldn`t know who he is without the show, that`s why I continue watching it ,to discover new artists.

6 hours ago, Misirlou said:

I mean, we all already knew this show (and every other singing show) uses autotune in a big way, yet we still watch it and enjoy it. I don`t think it`s neccesary that we continue to discuss it again and again. 

If peeps wouldn't gush so much over performances that are not real we could discuss not discussing autotune.   Delusions are not healthy.  It's kinda like fact checking a Trump tweet.  🙂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Happy Birthday Amanda Brown! 🥳 Keep slaying in this next year of your life. ☺️

I accidentally read this as "Keep slaying 'till your next life" 👻

Happy birthday to (Queen) Amanda!! Dream On performance will forever be one of the bestt

• Like 1

Random fun fact about my favorites: my favorites for the last three seasons (Allegra/Cami/Gihanna) are all young pop/pop-adjacent contestants who made it to the T9, then lost to a Team Blake contestant in getting the Instant Save (Toneisha/Ian/Jordan).

I remember watching the Season 20 T9 IS and hoping that Gihanna would break the curse, especially since she got a good song and closed, but, alas, the pattern continues. Hopefully, my Season 21 favorite will make it to the finale.

4 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

Not me hoping our favorites don’t align next season because of this curse. 💀 

Looking at your signature though, our favorites have pretty much been the same (I can’t really speak for S20 yet) for every season since S13, except S17. 😮

10 hours ago, QueenCami said:

Random fun fact about my favorites: my favorites for the last three seasons (Allegra/Cami/Gihanna) are all young pop/pop-adjacent contestants who made it to the T9, then lost to a Team Blake contestant in getting the Instant Save (Toneisha/Ian/Jordan).

That's not fun at all 🙃 Jk Toneisha deserved it but it still sucks 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 5:59 PM, Bk1234 said:

Looking at your signature though, our favorites have pretty much been the same (I can’t really speak for S20 yet) for every season since S13, except S17. 😮

Interesting, hopefully the curse breaks for both of us then! I wonder if the trend will continue in Season 20 👀

14 hours ago, AliXRose said:

That's not fun at all 🙃 Jk Toneisha deserved it but it still sucks 

That's how it be 😔 Allegra's IS was a bit messy (also I don't like that song), and the others did well. I thought Joanna had an excellent IS, Toneisha did great on Lovin' You, Megan was good, and Zan was great as well, so I get the results being what they were.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, QueenCami said:

Interesting, hopefully the curse breaks for both of us then! I wonder if the trend will continue in Season 20 👀

That's how it be 😔 Allegra's IS was a bit messy (also I don't like that song), and the others did well. I thought Joanna had an excellent IS, Toneisha did great on Lovin' You, Megan was good, and Zan was great as well, so I get the results being what they were.

Yeah. 🥺🤞

I thought Allegra did the best, closely followed by Toneisha. 😅

• Like 2

20 hours ago, QueenCami said:

By the way, someone in the past day posted Sharane Calister's KO on youtube! The username + the previous videos make it pretty clear they're from IDF too :haha:, so they may have even done it 'cause people here commented on it 👀

Wow, that's amazing, I can die peacefully now 😌 Wouldn't it be crazy if they also posted Luna Searles' (robbed queen) "Nutbush City Limits" performance, Adam Cunningham and Natalie Stovall's battle of "Boondocks", or Brittnee Camille and Melissa Jimenez's battle of "Give It To Me Right" hahaha.... 

Edited by ikwonic
  • Like 1

I’ve been rewatching all the Blinds lately, so:

My List for Best Auditions of Season 20 (not in any order): 

Cam Anthony (He’s one of the only 2 contestants whose fan thread I asked to join the same day of their audition. Period. His tone, delivery, belts, riffs, everything was on point. Plus, this audition is such a *replayable* one. It was exactly what an audition should be: powerful enough to warrant 4 chairs, but subdued enough that you KNOW it’s nowhere near the person’s best.) 

Raine Stern (Raine is an artist and a half and more. She brought such flavour to this performance that it was undeniable. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the guitar riff at the beginning.) 

Dana Monique (This was so enthralling and I just wanted to get up and dance. My favourite Dana performance. I don’t think we appreciate how well she did upbeat songs. The speed of ballads gives you LOTS of room to do complex riffs and to flip songs and emote. That’s another factor for why so many of the buses on this show come from upbeat songs. You have to navigate them before you can personalize them and most artists just don’t have that level of proficiency. That’s okay in the industry because you can write music that suit your strengths, but when you’re on this show, you only have so much creative freedom. :(  ) 

Avery Roberson (This audition is the only audition since S13 that has made me cry. I cry every time I rewatch it. Say what you will about his vocal delivery, but if he can make a perfectionist like me ignore missed notes, I’d argue that’s really special.) 

Carolina Rial (#toocoolforIDF) (Y’all complained about the runs and I kind of get that. But with this upbeat arrangement, her runs drove and conducted the performance forward. That’s why I would argue that they were all well-placed. It takes lots of proficiency to do that and her performance was exhilarating for me.) 

Lindsay Joan (I spent 1.5 hours one day trying to find a better cover of this song because I was hoping someone had a full version. Every single cover paled in comparison to Lindsay’s. Yes, I agree that the beginning and ending low notes weren’t perfect, but she was sick at the time. She said that when she’s sick, her lower register disappears. Despite that, I thought it was a brilliant and nuanced interpretation.) 

Halley Greg (This arrangement really spoke to me and I loved it. I thought the bridge was subdued in an impactful way. Her tone just shined and some of her riffs blew me away. The ending almost made me cry a few times. I believed her when she was singing and I really felt it.) 

Victor Solomon (He achieved it impossible. Gotta commend him for that + the beautiful vocal.) 

Deion Warren (His TONE, OMLLLL. His riffs are so creative and he really told the story of the song, ESPECIALLY the beginning.) 

Savanna Chestnut (Her TONE is magical. I agree with everything @Bk1234said in her S20 ranking.) 

Savanna Woods (Right away, I felt an abundance of personality + the IDGAF attitude that I love so much. Sometimes when artists are auditioning, I feel bad thinking about how they’ll feel if no one turns. The show pre much sets us up to feel that way by giving us backstory beforehand. But with her, even if she’d gotten no chairs, I genuinely don’t think she’d be phased and I don’t think I’d feel “sad” for her (I’d be enraged instead🤣.)The performance was just so confident.) 

Durell Anthony (The first note by itself was enough to warrant a spot on this spot. It RANGGGGG in such a piercing way and I was shook. He has so much control over his vocals and this performance really showed that.) 

• Like 7