AI 18 Spoiler Discussion Thread

istersay

On 4/23/2020 at 7:03 PM, m1key said:

Kimmy is singing All I Ask 

omg no kimmy! 😧 why did you do this to yourself. 

there's 0 chance she stands out at all with that song, and maybe she could eke by if it was a Top 14 cut, but with half of singers going, she's definitely out with that song choice ;-;

Edited by redwood79

1 hour ago, redwood79 said:

omg no kimmy! 😧 why did you do this to yourself. 

there's 0 chance she stands out at all with that song, and maybe she could eke by if it was a Top 14 cut, but with half of singers going, she's definitely out with that song choice ;-;

Agreed, sadly enough.  That’s why I said that her chances of being cannon fodder are very good.

AI18 Top 20 Performance Order:

1. Kimmy

2. Jovin

3. Franklin

4. Olivia

5. Louis

6. Makayla

7. Aliana

8. Faith

9. Nick

10. Lauren

11. Cyniah

12. Francisco

13. Sophia

14. DeWayne

15. Dillon

16. Arthur

17. Julia

18. Grace

19. Sam

20. Jonny

13 minutes ago, Elliott said:

AI18 Top 20 Performance Order:

1. Kimmy

2. Jovin

3. Franklin

4. Olivia

5. Louis

6. Makayla

7. Aliana

8. Faith

9. Nick

10. Lauren

11. Cyniah

12. Francisco

13. Sophia

14. DeWayne

15. Dillon

16. Arthur

17. Julia

18. Grace

19. Sam

20. Jonny

If this is true, even more of an oof for Kimmy, she might even get the least votes out of all 20 lol. 

Very sad. Kimmy is my favorite contestant. 

Edited by redwood79

3 hours ago, redwood79 said:

If this is true, even more of an oof for Kimmy, she might even get the least votes out of all 20 lol. 

Very sad. Kimmy is my favorite contestant. 

Despite what people think, going first isn’t the worst spot. There’s a very real psychological phenomenon known as primacy and recency. In plain English, people tend to remember the first and last things they saw. 

The true death spot is 2nd in a short list. In a long list of 20, it’s probably about 4th or 5th.

27 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

Despite what people think, going first isn’t the worst spot. There’s a very real psychological phenomenon known as primacy and recency. In plain English, people tend to remember the first and last things they saw. 

The true death spot is 2nd in a short list. In a long list of 20, it’s probably about 4th or 5th.

That’s pretty true for Idol. In the first semifinal round in their respective seasons, Gil Sinuet, Kristin Holt, Patrick Fortson, Candace Coleman, Jordan Segundo, Marque Lynch, Briana Ramirez, Eric Yoder, Amy Krebs, Joanne Borgella, Ricky Braddy, Matt Giraud (WC), Taylor Vaifanua, Ashley Rodriguez, John Park, Jovany Barreto, Naima Adedapo (WC), Adam Brock, Erika Van Pelt (WC), Breanna Steer, Cortez Shaw, Kristen O’ Connor (WC), CJ Harris (WC), and Michael Simeon all performed 2nd in their group and failed to be voted through. Some only made the finals because they were selected as a judge wildcard pick. Seasons 15-17 didn’t feature public voting during the semifinals, so I didn’t include them. 

2 hours ago, MargoK said:

Surprised they didn’t give their beloved Arthur the pimp spot. He is another horrible singer who will win Idol.

Huh. Define horrible... Cause I can name quite a few bland diva belter types that NO ONE will remember come this time next year.

You don't have to like Arthur. He's very Phillip Phillips esque and you either like that or you don't. But yeah. :/ 

Edited by KelseyW
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AngelaKD said:

I agree 2nd is the death spot, they almost always put their weakest competitors in the 2nd,3rd,4th slots. But 1st isn't great either on an overnight voting episode, especially when Kimmy's chances aren't looking great in the first place. I know the primacy effect, but idk how much that will translate into votes.  

1 hour ago, redwood79 said:

I agree 2nd is the death spot, they almost always put their weakest competitors in the 2nd,3rd,4th slots. But 1st isn't great either on an overnight voting episode, especially when Kimmy's chances aren't looking great in the first place. I know the primacy effect, but idk how much that will translate into votes.  

They must not really like Jovin then, since he got the second spot!  At least they didn’t give it to Sam, Cyniah, Sophia or even Olivia though fourth isn’t much better for Olivia than second.

I did not know Kimmy was so popular on here. She has a great voice but it is really forgettable. I never thought she had much of a chance so this won't make a difference. 

Cynthia slot seems like the beginning of the second hour which makes sense given she is a producer favorite. That slot seems to be a good one. 

Other than that no real surprises. I do think the producers are pushing for the last 10 performers to be the top 10. 

For the first time ever, I haven’t watched a single episode of Idol this year.  I’ll tune in tonight because I want to see how this whole “at home” thing goes.

The thing I am most curious about is the winners single.  I don’t think we will be getting one.  The contestants won’t be able to go record it in a studio or anything.  Maybe we will but my guess is a no on the winner’s single this year.  We’ll probably be waiting until the first single from their actual album.  Unless there’s any news regarding that that I’ve missed since like I said, I haven’t watched it at all this year.

The talent is so good but I hate how the show is edited now. I want Nigel Lythgoe back so bad. He and Ken Warwick knew how to put on a good show. I think the current producers are great at casting talent but they put way too much focus on stories and the judges babbling than they do the singing. 

6 hours ago, MargoK said:

I honestly could do without the back stories but a lot of people seem to like them. I want the old, longer format back!!!

I agree.  IMO what was exciting about Idol was it's spontaneity and honesty - and finding real diamonds in the rough.  I'll never forget Adam Lambert's performance of BORN TO BE WILD  or Kelly Clarkson's STUFF LIKE THAT THERE.  Comparing those performances to any other Idol contestants talent from any season or nation is silly - they are incomparable.  Simon Cowell was as close to honest as he could be within the confines of a television competition show.  I think the world simply ran out of great singers - and American Idol did all it could do: compensate by lowering the bar.  Maybe one day another great singer will appear from the heavens somewhere on some singing show and the excitement Idol stirred long ago will return.