The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

3 hours ago, AngelaKD said:

Despite saying that the Voice benefits the coaches more than the contestants (no argument there), he doesn’t address the fact that the two biggest financial successes from Idol aren’t contestants either. They are Ryan Seacrest and Simon Cowell.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think those 2 became successful just off the fact that they were distinct parts of one of the biggest shows at the time. Idol didn't push Ryan Seacrest or Simon Cowell the same way that TV shoves its coaches in our faces.

Edited by FloorWax
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FloorWax said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think those 2 became successful just off the fact that they were distinct parts of one of the biggest shows at the time. Idol didn't push Ryan Seacrest or Simon Cowell the same way that TV shoves its coaches in our faces.

Within about 2 weeks, Fox grokked to the fact that many, many people were tuning in to see the “mean British guy” eviscerate the wannabes. They definitely pushed that! And there were a LOT of terrible singers on the early years of Idol. 

Edited by AngelaKD
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AngelaKD said:

Within about 2 weeks, Fox grokked to the fact that many, many people were tuning in to see the “mean British guy” eviscerate the wannabes. They definitely pushed that! And there were a LOT of terrible singers on the early years of Idol. 

Fair, I wasn't aware of it at the time, so I shouldn't have been the one to speak on it, and you do raise some other good points. However, the disparity between Idol's contestant focus and TV's contestant focus is still too great to be ignored.

17 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

But the viewers weren’t voting for the judges. That’s the problem with The Voice....

Minivan mom viewer: “I’ve always voted for Blake.” 

Anti-minivan viewer: “Anyone but Blake”

Regardless of who wins, they’re staring out at a huge disadvantage as compared to the average American Idol winner, because of teams. 

• Like 5

Not TV-related, but about IDF: A lot of people have been asking about the ranks. I am not 100% sure, but I think it's like the black dots that were around a person's profile before? People who messaged a lot on here or had been on here for a while had 10 black dots, and others had less. I think that the "Rank" rocketship is just a more explicit way of showing one's rank / the black circles. 

On 6/13/2021 at 7:45 AM, Angeles said:

Chevel had some amazing performances & was one of the most (if not the most) consistent contestants that season. Should Kennedy have placed higher? 💯 Was she robbed? Nope. 

I agree! Chevel was very consistent, especially through different songs. She was great on both upbeat and slower songs.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 11:48 AM, AngelaKD said:

The producers of Idol (and many other reality tv competitions) do this on purpose. They pick a few clowns through the audition process and build this person up and let them think they're awesome, just to have the judges shit on them later on. Made for great TV but horrible for those people.

4 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

Wasn't sure where to post this, but love your new pfp @sydneysam! Fitting for her entry into AGT this week 👀

gotta pay tribute 👻 thank you!!

it was my first really-detailed artwork though LMAO will practice more on it

watch out for Brooke on AGT this week everyonee 🤩

• Like 3

Just now, sydneysam said:

Yeah, I love that you're including facial features in some of your art now! I actually really like both styles of artwork, so I look forward to continuing to see your art 👀

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, sydneysam said:

The art looks great! 

I can’t wait to see her audition!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Cookie73 said:

Brooke’s audition looks really good. I’m very excited to see what happens with her.

Honestly, at first glance, I think some of her TV performances were better than the clip we got, but I think that could be for many reasons. First, I haven't listened to the whole clip; second, I haven't listened to her TV performances in a while; third, she chose a really difficult and vocally challenging song; fourth, maybe she wants to save some of other tricks for the future shows so it doesn't seem like she does the same thing over and over again.

I really hope she goes far! She's clearly an incredibly talented vocalist. 

2 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

Honestly, at first glance, I think some of her TV performances were better than the clip we got, but I think that could be for many reasons. First, I haven't listened to the whole clip; second, I haven't listened to her TV performances in a while; third, she chose a really difficult and vocally challenging song; fourth, maybe she wants to save some of other tricks for the future shows so it doesn't seem like she does the same thing over and over again.

I’m just curious if she will mention the voice in her package

7 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

Agreed. Her audition probably isn’t on the level of her Voice audition (that was something else), but it’s very good, and I will be surprised if she doesn’t make Live Shows

• Like 1