The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

14 hours ago, FloorWax said:

I wasn't around for Season 4 but I saw the coaching sessions between Michelle and Usher on Youtube and boy oh boy, did things seem different. I don't think I've ever seen in recent Voice history a relationship that strong between Coach and Contestant. 

Back in S13, I remember Adam's genuine appreciation for Addison. That's the closest thing I guess.

They spent far more time together, I think. I mean, Michelle had 14 performances that I can think of, where he would have been involved in coaching her. Now contestants get half that amount. 

Michelle and Usher also just connected, and that connection happened to be tv gold, so we got a lot of it. 

I think Coaches still bond with their contestants. It was obvious that Adam has been connected to Christina, Chris, Matt, and Addison - for example. It's just not shown because the coaches and other celebrities became the shows focus. 

• Like 1

Blake has helped a lot of his contestants. but the show has definitely changed. The first few seasons, they'd have parties with the coaches and contestants, Blake has also spoken about spending more money on his contestants then he made on the show the first season (obvs a joke, but he's bought dresses, cars etc). As time passed though, the coaches got older, Adam got married and had kids, Blake now has three step-kids, Christina had kids, Carson had kids etc. The coaches now have other lives outside of the show. Blake has also talked about as you keep doing the show, you sort of have to detach a little, because it's now contestants so often. 

When you get newer (and especially younger) coaches though, Miley hung out with her contestants, bought them things etc. And Kelly and Blake have still taken contestants out on tours, and helped get them gigs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, antikid said:

Just curious, not trying to bash Adam but did he help any of his contestants post-show?

He tried. He wanted to sign Grimmie (and payed for her memorial services), he was involved in Chris and Matt's music - and I believe lost interest in the show completely after Republic's mismanagement of those two. Same thing with Xtina and most other coaches. I think they are involved in some of their lives (every once in a while, it seems like Xtina has a girl's night with Jacquie and Alisan), but probably can't do much. The music industry is just weird now. 

One key difference is that Blake (and Kelly) have more pull. Blake has a lot of pull in the much smaller country community, and Kelly is married to a high status manager. 

Pharrell and Usher ran into problems because both of their contestants didn't want the type of music/musical journey that they could help them on. (No way Michelle or Josh would want to be associated with Scooter, and Sawyer is much more about being an organic indepdent musical artist, rather than a "write a song in five minutes" pop star). 

24 minutes ago, antikid said:

Just curious, not trying to bash Adam but did he help any of his contestants post-show?

Addison Agen had a Kickstarter for her album a few months ago. Adam could have funded it with what would be pocket change for him. I don’t believe he contributed a penny.

• Like 1

Blake definitely has helped his contestants, and he still tries to be involved with them after the show, obviously not as much as the first seasons, but he has had countless of his contestants play at his bars, and has hung out with them after the show. I believe he got Andrew Sevener a gig in Ol Red the weekend after the finale. It was mentioned on the Kelly Clarkson Show that he also bought houses for some of them, so even after being 18 seasons, it´s incredible what he has done for a lot of his contestants. 

Kelly obviously has more power now because of her show, she does a lot for her contestants as well, inviting them on her show, to sing with them, and we know that she has helped Brynn inmensly. 

Xtina has invited several contestants to sing with her if I´m correct.

Alicia helped Chris Blue with his first single, and tried to help Britton, but she couldn´t manage him by himself, since she had to focus on her own career.

Adam had several contestants performed with him after the show, especially in the earlier seasons, but the sh***y record deal that the contestants got after winning did seem to wager his enthusiasm a lot. Both he and Blake have openly criticized it.

Apart from Kelly, whose husband is a manager, the only coach that has actual pull in the music industry as far as record labels go is Pharrell, being an A&R representative and all. He also has gotten in the studio with some contestants I believe, but that´s pretty much it.

It is well known that Miley spent a lot of time with her contestants, seemed to really care for them, and she bought Janice Freeman (RIP) an apartment as well.

As for Usher, Shakira, Gwen, JHud, and Ceelo, I don´t think they have done anything. Usher definitely connected with Michelle, but I don´t think he has done something with her outside the show if I´m correct.

5 minutes ago, joe14 said:

American Idol's at home format has me nervous for The Voice. I do thing The Voice's contestants are more talented but it's rough on Idol.

I’ve been watching Idol this evening. I’m sure people will disagree but  I like the way the way the contestants have been staged and how Ryan has kept the show moving (20 acts in 2 hours - wow). Be interesting to see how the Voice pulls it off. Just my 2 cents ...

• Like 1

Just now, Cat5310 said:

I’ve been watching Idol this evening. I’m sure people will disagree but  I like the way the way the contestants have been staged and how Ryan has kept the show moving (20 acts in 2 hours - wow). Be interesting to see how the Voice pulls it off. Just my 2 cents ...

Oh I was talking about the actual performances. The formatting is fine given the circumstances.

13 minutes ago, joe14 said:

American Idol's at home format has me nervous for The Voice. I do thing The Voice's contestants are more talented but it's rough on Idol.

Yikes, I just turned it on and watched a performance. It was bad. Black girl in a red dress. 

1 minute ago, TeamAudra said:

Yikes, I just turned it on and watched a performance. It was bad. Black girl in a red dress. 

That was honestly one of the better ones, believe or not. You should have seen the first hour. Like every is just bad at singing. Like I can't see someone like Joanna just flat out being this terrible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joe14 said:

That was honestly one of the better ones, believe or not. You should have seen the first hour. Like every is just bad at singing. Like I can't see someone like Joanna just flat out being this terrible.

This is good! Joanna gonna SLAY while Todd and Toneisha flop lmao. PLZ JOANNA INCOMING PV.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, joe14 said:

It’s an advantage to certain types of artists for sure. IDF might want to rethink the chances of some of their snowflakes. 

Now I’m watching someone named Jonny West. He sounds terrible. They’re clearly not autotuning. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

It’s an advantage to certain types of artists for sure. IDF might want to rethink the chances of some of their snowflakes. 

Now I’m watching someone named Jonny West. He sounds terrible. They’re clearly not autotuning. 

Yeah will be interesting especially if they don't mess around with auto tuning cause right now we really have no idea how a lot of them sound "live." Plus, producer's song choices are also another key factor.

Edited by joe14

Idol was honestly better than I was expecting setup wise, they all had legit mics and solid sound. I felt like the gap between the best and the worst wasn't all that wide though, no one completely train wrecked and no one absolutely killed it. They were all like watching pre-recorded YouTube performances where everyone was a variation of mediocre. I think it made it hard to really have a moment and be memorable. So it will be interesting to see if  The Voice setup is the same.

14 minutes ago, joe14 said:

Yeah will be interesting especially if they don't mess around with auto tuning cause right now we really have no idea how a lot of them sound "live." Plus, producer's song choices are also another key factor.

I really hope The Voice skips the autotune too! 

And Toneisha won’t be able to have a big choir. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

For voice, they won’t have big production, but they will have the band. Also Kara was saying on Instagram that she was recording in her closet, but then videoing herself in her shower (white background). 

I know idol shot the show as if it was live 

Edited by seak05

1 hour ago, joe14 said:

lol TVLine's AI grader is even worse than Mason. His lowest grade tonight was a B+ and practically everyone was an A lol.

20 minutes ago, seak05 said:

For voice, they won’t have big production, but they will have the band. Also Kara was saying on Instagram that she was recording in her closet, but then videoing herself in her shower (white background). 

I know idol shot the show as if it was live 

Yuck. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, FloorWax said:

lol TVLine's AI grader is even worse than Mason. His lowest grade tonight was a B+ and practically everyone was an A lol.

Maybe he is grading within context of the situation. I have noticed that a lot of people seemed to have thought the show was good/okay so maybe I am in the minority. This is good for The Voice because I definitely think these contestants could do much better if all else is equal. We will see how it plays out though.

I tried to watch a couple of performances on AI but they sounded "off" (for lack of a better word). I saw Makayla, Aliana and Faith. They were all mediocre at best, with Makayla sounding a bit better than the other two.

Makayla had 3 or 4 background vocals who sounded better than her. Aliana's music is louder than her vocals. I stopped watching midway through Faith's performance because the singing was just not good, and her backup singers didn't help. 

I hope The Voice has better performances that the ones I saw from AI. SAOyO1H.gif