The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

7 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

If you're referring to what happened with Thunderstorm:

During the actual knockouts taping, Thunderstorm screwed up in his performance (not subtly... everyone that I talked to from the taping noticed it). 

When the knockouts aired, obviously they edited that out (listen 10 or so seconds into his KO). Ultimately he lost and had to be stolen. Apparently it wasn't really addressed by the coaches at the taping.

Now after his blind aired and everyone declared him a frontrunner, people looked back at the spoiler and because they weren't really impressed with Mandi, they called it an absolute robbery, etc. But to the millions of viewers who don't look at spoilers, if they thought Thunderstorm did better and Mandi just did okay - they have a right to be confused/outraged as a result.

While we can't know for sure if Thunderstorm screwing up had everything to do with John's decision to pick Mandi over him - it's unfair that they removed his mistake and made him look good, while Mandi has had to face (minimal, thankfully) backlash because people can't control themselves on the Internet. And now, people don't know about the incident and they don't have that very significant piece of his track record on the show to judge him off of. Him screwing up and recovering could've boosted his image or lowered it - but we'll never know because NBC edited it to protect their frontrunner.

Not saying it's Thunderstorm's fault at all that he got edited/protected, not saying he didn't deserve the steal or that he would've been the rightful winner without the screwup - it's just very shady that the editing removed something so big.

Very well stated! 

It’s pretty shocking that none of the coaches mentioned it. It makes me suspicious that they were instructed not to. 

• Like 2

Thank you very much.  I was seeing everything being said and couldn't determine the origin.  Appreciate making sense of it (all) for me with the above explanation.  Very nice of you to spell it out in such detail.  And, now, I'm not in the dark or scratching my head whilst reading all about I didn't know what 😊 😂

14 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Very well stated! 

It’s pretty shocking that none of the coaches mentioned it. It makes me suspicious that they were instructed not to. 

John briefly acknowledged it saying that he made a mistake, but recovered well from it. I don't remember if any of the others said anything about it, it happened 3 months ago. The coaches always go right into their comments right after the performances so there's no way the coaches could be told to do or not do anything. 

34 minutes ago, rhapsody99 said:

John briefly acknowledged it saying that he made a mistake, but recovered well from it. I don't remember if any of the others said anything about it, it happened 3 months ago. The coaches always go right into their comments right after the performances so there's no way the coaches could be told to do or not do anything. 

I don't think those comments the coaches make to the camera after a battle or KO are done right after the performance. I think they go back and film them when the episodes are being cut together so that there's a segue or a narrative to play, because a coach will say he or she passed on so-and-so because they're saving a steal for such-and-such, even though for that battle/KO there were no steals or saves left. One season they played the exact same Blake comment twice.

40 minutes ago, rhapsody99 said:

I had wondered if there was a way for them to communicate non verbally to the coaches. I’ve always wondered if the have a digital screen on their chairs that feeds them information about who’s performing, or whatever. Perhaps not. 

1 hour ago, rhapsody99 said:

Even if they didn´t acknowledged it, it did seemed like something had happened with his performance based on their reactions. 3 out of 4 chose Mandi as the winner, despite having raved over Thunderstorm in the last two rounds, and overall didn´t seem enthusiastic about him as a whole.

1 hour ago, Vinyl said:

I don't think those comments the coaches make to the camera after a battle or KO are done right after the performance. I think they go back and film them when the episodes are being cut together so that there's a segue or a narrative to play, because a coach will say he or she passed on so-and-so because they're saving a steal for such-and-such, even though for that battle/KO there were no steals or saves left. One season they played the exact same Blake comment twice.

I was referring to the coaches feedback while they are sitting in their chairs, that's all filmed immediately after the performance obviously because the audience is all there. It's very obvious the coaches are given the order the performances are going to be shown in on TV for the comments you're referring to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Even if they didn´t acknowledged it, it did seemed like something had happened with his performance based on their reactions. 3 out of 4 chose Mandi as the winner, despite having raved over Thunderstorm in the last two rounds, and overall didn´t seem enthusiastic about him as a whole.

2 minutes ago, rhapsody99 said:

I was referring to the coaches feedback while they are sitting in their chairs, that's all filmed immediately after the performance obviously because the audience is all there. It's very obvious the coaches are given the order the performances are going to be shown in on TV for the comments you're referring to.

I heard that the post-performance discussion can last 10-20 minutes. They clearly cut most of it to get it down to 90-120 seconds for TV (and for their narrative).

Edited by Vinyl

2 hours ago, ohwait said:

this is going to be the most brutal demise to a great tv show.

i wonder what the next "big singing show" will be..

"The Next Vocalist"

Artists compete against each other and out of the 4 singers selected, USA will vote which one takes the win of 1000$ and a single released with a studio's help, guaranteed to boost their future for a singing career.

A new winner is announced every week, new singers every week with unique voices and all genres will be represented.

Edited by QueenMae16
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ohwait said:

this is going to be the most brutal demise to a great tv show.

i wonder what the next "big singing show" will be..

The next money-saving move by The Voice will be to eliminate the singing part. The contestant just talks about the song they want to sing and why they chose it (don't have to clear the rights for that), and you vote based on that. 😋

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, QueenMae16 said:

"The Next Vocalist"

Artists compete against each other and out of the 4 singers selected, USA will vote which one takes the win of 1000$ and a single released with a studio's help, guaranteed to boost their future for a singing career.

A new winner is announced every week, new singers every week with unique voices and all genres will be represented.

Like this ....but each week throw in one new celebrity/producer/coach/mentor to help them work up their performance....and to help ratings.  With a only a one week commitment they could get just about anyone to sign up.  There would def be some train wreck weeks and wow weeks. 

14 minutes ago, Vinyl said:

The next money-saving move by The Voice will be to eliminate the singing part. The contestant just talks about the song they want to sing and why they chose it (don't have to clear the rights for that), and you vote based on that. 😋

Ha...that's 85% of what we get now.  Brilliant.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, QueenMae16 said:

"The Next Vocalist"

Well there is the Launch that had 2 season (2018,2019) up here in Canada. I don't know how you can view it in the US. 

The premise is there is a new uncut song every week.You have a different guest celebrity coach every week. You have 5 new artist auditioning with their own material. They choose 2 for the finals to cut the new song and perform to a studio audience. And they choose the winner during the episode. Lead by Scott Borchetta. It's pretty good. You get more of the behind the scene when they cut the song and try different version in studio a bit like songland studio session. It's release to radio and available to purchase on the night of the episode and we hear them pretty often on radio after the show aired. It has boost a few Canadian artist career. 

All pre-recorded no vote.

14 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I had wondered if there was a way for them to communicate non verbally to the coaches. I’ve always wondered if the have a digital screen on their chairs that feeds them information about who’s performing, or whatever. Perhaps not. 

Yeah, that’s totally what I am thinking and was about to say. Do they not have any screens with them, on their chairs, (or even some kiddo off on the side with a sign saying Don’t say anything, joking). Of course they do. They might even be whatsapping/communicating during performances (e.g., if I choose X will you steal Y)

17 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

They wear earpieces & have a flip book with contestant pairings and information 

1 hour ago, seak05 said:

They wear earpieces & have a flip book with contestant pairings and information 

Yeah, that too. Many of those 4 chair standing ovations look staged. How do they know when to do it? I suppose they could discuss it before the taping/live show. 

I think one of the sad parts about The Voice..is like Idol..as the show has continued..Producers have tried to have more and more control. It's like they think they find a recipe for success, and they try to force it to recreate itself...but the thing was..it was successful because of how organic it was. And then it just becomes stale. 

Spurrious and I are always like ❤️❤️❤️ Season 4...but the other thing that made Season 4 so great was how the show actually fulfilled it's purpose...as in..part of the show was the relationship between the coaches and the contestants. We got to see them coaching..because they actually got to coach. (I always suspected that Usher never came back because they took that away from him. Bria Kelly's parents talked about producer control) 

And the show went from "We're about the contestants - but in a nice way. The humor is going to come from the coaches" to "We're about the coaches." 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Yeah, that too. Many of those 4 chair standing ovations look staged. How do they know when to do it? I suppose they could discuss it before the taping/live show. 

They definitely talk about it ahead of time, and pre-plan steals etc. Coaches can, and sometimes do, go off script. Regina Love was not supposed to be a steal for instance (Jeffrey has talked about Gwen going off script)

40 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

I think one of the sad parts about The Voice..is like Idol..as the show has continued..Producers have tried to have more and more control. It's like they think they find a recipe for success, and they try to force it to recreate itself...but the thing was..it was successful because of how organic it was. And then it just becomes stale. 

Spurrious and I are always like ❤️❤️❤️ Season 4...but the other thing that made Season 4 so great was how the show actually fulfilled it's purpose...as in..part of the show was the relationship between the coaches and the contestants. We got to see them coaching..because they actually got to coach. (I always suspected that Usher never came back because they took that away from him. Bria Kelly's parents talked about producer control) 

And the show went from "We're about the contestants - but in a nice way. The humor is going to come from the coaches" to "We're about the coaches." 

I so much miss the genuine connections Usher and Blake made with their contestants.  Blake with his chopsticks and Usher with his push-ups.  That was some fine TV right there. 

I haven't had much to say about Danielle in a while....but talk about an organic run!!  She had never even been on a stage before the Voice...she sang to her hair brush in the mirror.  Yep...the prodigy had a lot to learn and sometimes the reaction of the crowd overwhelmed her and made her smile during the saddest of songs.  She was heavily criticized for that but it was a real life organic learning experience right before our eyes.  The video below is perhaps the best example of her failure in some peoples eyes and her dramatic success in most peoples eyes.  She can't stop smiling after the crowd reacts during "Please Remember Me" all the while vocally burning it down.  The audience reaction at the end though...they wouldn't STFU for the longest. 

• Like 3

If Danielle had been on a singing show in 2004..she'd be Carrie Underwood right now. Her lack of superstardom has everything to do with the state of country music and record labels refusals to invest in artists (and the stigma associated with coming from one of these shows). I'm hoping some day she'll get there. It'll be well deserved. 

Interestingly, as someone who liked Danielle, but had another favorite..I took a second look at her run after watching a few Carrie videos from Idol. Both have the same stage presence issues, but Danielle's  vocals were far superior. Impressive stuff. Also amazing she never had a "meltdown moment," like so many young contestants.  

Edited by mercfan3
  • Like 2

Of course, I noticed some talk about Danielle. Little needs be said about how I believe in Danielle & have ever since her Blind.  She was and is one hell of a voice, a singer & person. I never know what to say or think about all the alleged TPTB, politics, scheming, vote manipulating, et al with the show, but, I will always agree S4 was, comparatively, something special, fun, & memorable.

As for Danielle's status, now.  Many of us find it ridiculous, maddening, frustrating & wrong.  There's a heap of factors we all know contributing.  And, absolutely, she deserves more and when it does come will be overdue.  But she is not idle, she IS happy and there is a 3rd album coming. Sometimes it seems she has more love & impact across the pond.  Anyway, for myself, I will always feel (🤞) she WILL rise to her proper place because, YES, she sure does deserve it❗ 

Edited by Drew1903

I wasn't around for Season 4 but I saw the coaching sessions between Michelle and Usher on Youtube and boy oh boy, did things seem different. I don't think I've ever seen in recent Voice history a relationship that strong between Coach and Contestant. 

Back in S13, I remember Adam's genuine appreciation for Addison. That's the closest thing I guess.

18 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

I wasn't around for Season 4 but I saw the coaching sessions between Michelle and Usher on Youtube and boy oh boy, did things seem different. I don't think I've ever seen in recent Voice history a relationship that strong between Coach and Contestant. 

Back in S13, I remember Adam's genuine appreciation for Addison. That's the closest thing I guess.

Yea, also the relationship Blake had with Cassedee and Danielle was pretty genuine, and the fact that he continued to work  with them after the show speaks volumes. Adam and Christina Grimmie (RIP) definitely felt sincere as well.

As for recent seasons,yes, everything feels more robotic but I really enjoyed the Gwen and Rose dynamic from last season. I don´t think any contestant has moved Gwen like Rose did.

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 1

Ok, covered... I was, also, going to mention the rapport between Blake and Danielle & Cassedee that didn't stop when the Season stopped.  Actually, Blake had something special & on-going with Lauren, as well.  For all negative said about Blake sometimes he has a big heart & will extend a hand & stay a 'friend'