The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

5 hours ago, Misirlou said:

Instagram is mad at John for dropping Thunderstorm, check the comments

and Facebook is mad that Kelly dropped Tayler

Well, I don't know about Kelly, but John is just asking for a pre-finale wipeout this season, isn't he?

5 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Almost all of the youtube comments under the Thunderstorm-Mandi KO are variations of WTF, John. 

TPTB sacrificed John in order to save this season's script lol. Even the coaches are mere pawns on this show. 

5 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

That said, editing T-storm’s  mistake out of his performance destroys the credibility of the show more than  anything they’ve done to date. Even with that mistake, I probably would have said he destroyed Mandi, because he clearly did. 

Yeah, the knockout result is irrelevant. The thing is that this was everyone else's chance to catch up with Thunderstorm, now he's going unharmed into the live shows.

This is completely TPTB's fault but as far as I am concerned, I'm gonna put an asterisk next to Thunderstorm's name if he ends up winning the season. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thevoiceisthetop said:

Team Nick

Roderick Chambers

Arei Moon

Allegra Miles

Thunderstorm Artis

Holy crap!  Nick still kept Roderick?!  He really was dumb enough to think that he beat Joanna in the Battles!  I just . . . I don't know what to say.  I thought he loved Tate.

6 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Almost all of the youtube comments under the Thunderstorm-Mandi KO are variations of WTF, John. 

That said, editing T-storm’s  mistake out of his performance destroys the credibility of the show more than  anything they’ve done to date. Even with that mistake, I probably would have said he destroyed Mandi, because he clearly did. 

I do not see how it is any different from auto tuning. They have been editing pre-live performances for almost a decade now. I am sure they have edited out plenty of mistakes before. This is just the first one we are hearing about. Although, I definitely agree that it leaves a bad taste when other contestants do not get the same luxury. I just feel like they have been doing it for years.

Not related: Honestly, I doubt it would have mattered. People seem behind him either way. We know he is talented so someone "putting an asterisk" next to his name like a 2 second mistake takes away from it is very over the top lmao. It kind of reminds me of another comment on here that said the winner of this season would get an asterisk next to their name because we won't know if they can sing live.  Kind of in poor taste to be faulting the contestants over a pandemic. 

Edited by joe14
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, joe14 said:

I do not see how it is any different from auto tuning. They have been editing pre-live performances for almost a decade now. I am sure they have edited out plenty of mistakes before. This is just the first one we are hearing about. Although, I definitely agree that it leaves a bad taste when other contestants do not get the same luxury. I just feel like they have been doing it for years.

Not related: Honestly, I doubt it would have mattered. People seem behind him either way. We know he is talented so someone "putting an asterisk" next to his name like a 2 second mistake takes away from it is very over the top lmao. It kind of reminds me of another comment on here that said the winner of this season would get an asterisk next to their name because we won't know if they can sing live.  Kind of in poor taste to be faulting the contestants over a pandemic. 

You can downplay it all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that he got  huge help from TPTB last night. And it doesn't matter how talented he is, this is supposed to be a competition so, if he made a mistake, he had to take the consequences. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, echoap said:

You can downplay it all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that he got  huge help from TPTB last night. And it doesn't matter how talented he is, this is supposed to be a competition so, if he made a mistake, he had to take the consequences. 

100% agree. Fixing the pitch is a much lesser evil than editing out seconds of silence. I think if someone like Roderick for example messed up the beginning, they wouldn't edit it out.

• Like 1

Serious question: how is editing Thunderstorm's "flub" out of his KO any worse than the show selectively montaging certain battle performances to mask bad/awkward performances by certain artists? Jeffery Austin's supposedly terrible battle round comes to mind. 

Bottom line: The show has done worst things than editing out mistakes. Remember that clause in the Voice contract that says they can throw out votes as they see fit? This is a reality show first and foremost, and TPTB will do everything in their power to follow the agenda they set for the season, which for this season apparently is: Thunderstorm is TCO, and he must be protected at all costs. 

Edited by mjdolorico
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, mjdolorico said:

Serious question: how is editing Thunderstorm's "flub" out of his KO any worst than the show selectively montaging certain battle performances to mask bad/awkward performances by certain artists? Jeffery Austin's supposedly terrible battle round comes to mind. Another one that comes to mind is Chevel's uncomfortable battle pairing with a man twice her age. 

Bottom line: The show has done worst things than editing out mistakes. Remember that clause in the Voice contract that says they can throw out votes as they see fit? This is a reality show first and foremost, and TPTB will do everything in their power to follow the agenda they set for the season, which for this season apparently is: Thunderstorm is TCO, and he must be protected at all costs. 

So, they montaged that battle to protect Chevel?  You even know the reason. Damn, you’re good.  Or, are you just making things up to support your argument? Do you have any tea as to why they montaged Kirk’s and Kennedy’s battles? I’m sure it was to protect TCOs, right?

Editing 3 seconds of silence is not comparable to autotuning. I completely agree with the asterisk 

Edited by TeamAudra

3 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

So, they montaged that battle to protect Chevel? When did that leak out? You even know the reason. Damn, you’re good.  Or, are you just making things up to support your argument? Do you have any tea as to why they montaged Kirk’s and Kennedy’s battles? I’m sure it was to protect TCOs, right?

Editing 3 seconds of silence is not comparable to autotuning. I completely agree with the asterisk 

The Chevel theory may have been something that I read into. You got me there. I apologize and you may put down your pitchfork.

As for the Jeffery one, he mentioned how awful that battle was multiple times, and mentioned Adam being very critical of them. 

All I'm saying is if you're going to "put an asterisk" on Thunderstorm for something that is not even in his control, you better be prepared to "put an asterisk" on so many finalists on this show. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjdolorico said:

The Chevel theory may have been something that I read into. You got me there. I apologize and you may put down your pitchfork.

As for the Jeffery one, he mentioned how awful that battle was multiple times, and mentioned Adam being very critical of them. 

All I'm saying is if you're going to "put an asterisk" on Thunderstorm for something that is not even in his control, you better be prepared to "put an asterisk" on so many finalists on this show. 

They may have montaged Jeffrey’s battle because it wasn’t good, but he wasn’t TCO. The motives are not remotely similar.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, mjdolorico said:

Serious question: how is editing Thunderstorm's "flub" out of his KO any worse than the show selectively montaging certain battle performances to mask bad/awkward performances by certain artists? Jeffery Austin's supposedly terrible battle round comes to mind. 

I only agree with the bottom line :haha:

Edited by echoap

13 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

They may have montaged Jeffrey’s battle because it wasn’t good, but he wasn’t TCO. The motives are not remotely similar.

It's not about exclusively protecting TCO's, it's about promoting the agenda that TPTB has planned for the season. We all know coaches are the end-all be-all on this show, so it is reasonable to assume that they wanted Gwen to perform better during S9 after her terrible performance in S7, meaning they had to prop up Gwen anyway they can. That may have included editing out her terrible battle pairings. Did you know Gwen had 3 of battle pairings montaged during that season? That's half of her entire team.

Find this comment in the Micah vs Tayler KO on youtube. I think it's pretty accurate and it's really how I think too. "To me Kelly made the best Decision , if Micah deliver well even in not his comfort zone, this guy can get to the finals, on the other hand, tayler is good and sing in her comfortable zone, if Micah had had this opportunity, he's gonna turn on the stage ."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, mjdolorico said:

It's not about exclusively protecting TCO's, it's about promoting the agenda that TPTB has planned for the season. We all know coaches are the end-all be-all on this show, so it is reasonable to assume that they wanted Gwen to perform better during S9 after her terrible performance in S7, meaning they had to prop up Gwen anyway they can. That may have included editing out her terrible battle pairings. Did you know Gwen had 3 of battle pairings montaged during that season? That's half of her entire team.

Yeah, but I think they broke new ground here. 

I wonder how T-Storm feels about it? I’ll bet he doesn’t like it. 

Edited by TeamAudra

11 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Yeah, but I think they broke new ground here. 

I wonder how T-Storm feels about it? I’ll bet he doesn’t like it. 

Agree to disagree. Editing down footage to serve their story is part and parcel of reality TV. Who's to say it hasn't happened before on this show?

Edited by mjdolorico
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjdolorico said:

Agree to disagree. Editing down footage to serve their story is part and parcel of reality TV. Who's to say it hasn't happened before on this show?

Sure, we can disagree as to what’s fair in a “competition” with a $100k grand prize. It’s up to the individual to decide what’s right and wrong. 

12 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Sure, we can disagree as to what’s fair in a “competition” with a $100k grand prize. It’s up to the individual to decide what’s right and wrong. 

Fairness went out the window the day the artists signed a contract that has a clause in it saying that the producers reserve the right to change the rules and invalidate votes for reasons they see fit.

Edited by mjdolorico
  • Like 1

I mean, I do love Tstorm, but this did kind of left a bad taste in my mouth knowing that he did mess up and the cut it out to protect him, I dont think it would have actually done him that much damage given his body of work so far,  but they still should have showed it in fairness.

That been said, I know the guy can sing, and I'll still be voting for him, because either way, this was out of his control.

Edited by Misirlou

Not to mention the fact that yes, at the end of the day, this is a reality show after all, and the producers pretty much can do whatever they want. I remember reading a source for the KOs in S15 of Claire DeJean´s knockout, in which it said that she killed it, and actually did better than Abby, but she lost and the only reason she went home was that there weren´t any steals left. 

Cue the episode, she sounded awful and pitchy all around, and the performance was cut on top of it, so, unless the source was actually tone deaf, TPTB had something to do with her sounding like that on the editing, probably to protect Kelly´s decision.

I think some of you all (& this might include tptb) are overestimating the impact a “3 second” pause would have had on the audience & future voting. 

I’m thinking a lot of people would have still been in the thunderstorm is better camp regardless. And while it might have made some more accepting of Jon’s choice, it wouldn’t have caused them to change how they feel over the artist. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I think some of you all (& this might include tptb) are overestimating the impact a “3 second” pause would have had on the audience & future voting. 

I’m thinking a lot of people would have still been in the thunderstorm is better camp regardless. And while it might have made some more accepting of Jon’s choice, it wouldn’t have caused them to change how they feel over the artist. 

That’s what I said last night. Even with the mistake, I would have said he destroyed Mandi. What the producers did doesn’t impact my opinion of Thunderstorm as an artist. It’s not his fault. They should have aired it. 

2 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

That’s what I said last night. Even with the mistake, I would have said he destroyed Mandi. What the producers did doesn’t impact my opinion of Thunderstorm as an artist. It’s not his fault. They should have aired it. 

I agree, it was 3 seconds, that wouldn´t have suddenly thrown him into the back of the pack, and yes, it was out of his control.