Christian Singer & Season 5 Contestant Mandisa Passes Away at 47

Someone648

OMG Noooo, not Mandisa. 😢 :broken: She was SO talented and one of my favorites on Season 5. I'm so shocked and sad by this. :broken: Some of my favorite performances from her.

I can't find "I Don't Hurt Anymore" but that was an amazing performance too. ❤️ I'm also glad she achieved a lot of success with her music career too. RIP Mandisa. 💔

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I am so sad. I LOVE Mandisa, and her music and her as a person. I didn't even really listen to CCM but Mandisa's music was just special and so positive and catchy. I miss her so much already. RIP Mandisa, your legacy lives on forever 💙

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I preferred Paris during her season, but I’m sad that Mandisa passed away as well.  May she rest in peace.

This really isn't the time. Mandisa has also gone on to have way more success and a Grammy so not sure why you're bringing that up.

Edited by frederick
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, frederick said:

This really isn't the time. Mandisa has also gone on to have way more success and a Grammy so not sure why you're bringing that up.

Guess that mentioning how I preferred Paris wasn’t such a good idea.  Sorry about that.

• Like 1

so sad to hear . it was good that she was able to have the success she did coming off Idol.

• Like 2

This one really hurts. :( Season 5 is my favorite season, and Mandisa was one of my favorites. She had some great performances like the ones Wally posted, plus she went on to have a great career in CCM which includes a couple of Grammy wins. However, the main thing I will remember is how she confronted Simon during the Top 24 selection show about that rude comment he made about her weight after her audition. The graceful way she handled it always stuck out to me.

May she rest in power and her music and legacy live on. :(

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Oh no this hurts a lot. I remember being a fan of her with how talented she is. Sad she passed away. Glad she had success after the show. I always dislike that people pass away because that always makes me sad. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Slightly weird memory/anecdote: So a couple years ago, a friend of mine invited me and my best friend to a music festival, no context. Didn’t realize it was a Christian event (me and my friend aren’t, but that’s beside the point). 

Anyways, it was this whole big lineup of acts that I’d heard of but never really cared to listen to since I don’t like the genre. Mandisa was one of the few acts up there that was REALLY good and felt good to hear, even though we knew none of the songs. I recognized her from the Idol days and she was still stunning and exciting. The day was kind of weird since we were kind of the odd ones out in a crowd of hundreds, but to this day me and my friend look back on the day in a positive/funny context and say “at least we got to see Mandisa (and TobyMac) and laugh about it. Like Mandisa was the highlight of the day and we still talk about her like she was Beyonce or something. We still do that almost a decade later. I texted him this morning about this and the response was “NO WAY.”

Definitely made an interesting  impact. You could tell how passionate she was on stage about Christ and it stirred excitement in even me watching her, so Mandisa was definitely doing her duty on Earth in sharing her gift. Rest in peace to a great vocalist!

Edited by Someone648
  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Her interaction with Simon during the Green Mile episode was one of the most gracious things ever. I think that did a lot for the show because I don’t remember Simon ever bringing up someone’s weight again on the show. 

• Like 5

RIP! 😢

Seasons 1-5 weren't on my TV radar. I know how many success stories came from season 5 2006 though. 

Her song "Overcomer" was a huge hit. 

I hope more than Music Choice and American Idol acknowledges her. Like the Recording Academy should say something soon. 

An artist who's made an impact and passes on is way more important than artist XYZ's new record...

Edited by KelseyW

5 hours ago, Carrie_On said:

Her interaction with Simon during the Green Mile episode was one of the most gracious things ever. I think that did a lot for the show because I don’t remember Simon ever bringing up someone’s weight again on the show. 

I, too, loved how she confronted Simon during that episode regarding the rude comment he made about her weight. And I still really appreciate what a great job she did covering Never to this day. May she RIP. And my thoughts and prayers are with her family and friends during this difficult time.

12 hours ago, KelseyW said:

I hope more than Music Choice and American Idol acknowledges her. Like the Recording Academy should say something soon. 

An artist who's made an impact and passes on is way more important than artist XYZ's new record...

This is part of Idol's "acknowledgement".  The hypocrisy considering they barely even mentioned Mandisa over the years.  Yet they had Lauren Daigel back multiple times.  Even though she had been cut early on and no one even remembers her from the show.

Mandisa was an adored icon on American Idol...... Her passing has left everyone on the show heartbroken......

• Sad 1