Christian Singer & Season 5 Contestant Mandisa Passes Away at 47

Someone648

I always hate hearing about Idol passings because as I’ve said before it’s like a peace of my childhood dies with them. :closedeyes:

It brings in to question our own mortality because the contestants we grew up with and voted for are dying and it’s just surreal.

RIP Mandisa. Fly high. 🕊️

• Sad 2

I haven't watched Idol or been on IDF in years, but I had to login and share some sort of tribute for Mandisa. 💔 She was my season 5 favorite and imo, the best singer on that season hands down. Performances like "I'm Every Woman" and "I Don't Hurt Anymore" absolutely rank up there as some of the best performances of all-time. She was eliminated way too early and similarly, was taken from us way too soon. She just seemed like such a joyous and positive person, a testimony that many of her fellow contestants have expressed on social media when sharing their tributes.

Some of my favorite Idol memories of Mandisa:

-Her "dog jaw" joke with Ryan Seacrest, which she did to alleviate a bit of tension during the final judgement, I believe.

-Admitting that she sucked her thumb until she was 24 years old. 😆 "God is good, honey, and I'm walking miracle, because my teeth should literally be protruding out of your television screen!"

-Complaining about how uncomfortable her high-heels were on top 12 night, and Ryan offering to take them off. 😄

-A post-show interview where she admitted that she couldn't stand the "Had a Bad Day" song!

-And last but not least, we all remember the moment at the final judgement, where she expressed pure poise and humility towards Simon by forgiving him for fat-shaming her, even though he never outright apologized.

See what I mean? Mandisa didn't take herself too seriously and as I've gotten older, I realized that's a life philosophy we should all follow. Even though I'm only a fan and didn't personally know her, this loss hurts, but we can at least take solace in the happy memories Mandisa provided us. Her post-Idol music is REALLY good too, I recommend checking it out if you never have, even if you don't care for Christian music. She deserved her success and grammy wins.

RIP, Mandiva.

Edited by Weedy_Speedy
  • Like 4

An absolutely brilliant performance and tribute, they tore the house down and Mandisa would've loved every second of it. It shouldn't have been these circumstances that brought Melinda back to the Idol stage, but I don't doubt that she knew better than anyone how to celebrate her friend of over 20 years.

• Like 1