The Voice's Unpopular Opinions Thread V2

istersay

12 hours ago, indii said:

For some reason I was pretty much indifferent to OK3's audition when it initially aired (I'm 99% sure it was because people here were saying they were better than Sorelle & I let my instinct to defend Sorelle cloud my opinion on them lol) but the more I've relistened to it the more I've grown to love them, I honestly feel they were really underrated & I would probably rather had them in the competition than like half of the current top 20

Dare I say my favorite audition of the season? :stealth: At least top 3

glad you changed your mind. i loved Sorelle’s blind one of my faves of their season. however OK3’s was ridiculous vocally. i think it was slightly less interesting but by sheer power and range they place near the top of the season for me

On 4/24/2024 at 8:10 PM, Gustavo527 said:

My unpopular opinion is that i don't think Mafe was that great in her Playoff performance and she deserved to be eliminated. I really don't get the hype.

oprah winfrey GIF

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

oprah winfrey GIF

If it makes you feel better, after some re-watches, i changed my mind. I was just very close minded since it's a song by Adele and my standards for Adele's songs are high, but Mafe actually did a solid job.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

If it makes you feel better, after some re-watches, i changed my mind. I was just very close minded since it's a song by Adele and my standards for Adele's songs are high, but Mafe actually did a solid job.

no i totally get it. i really liked it but now that i’ve had some time to heal i’m willing to admit that it does kind of sound like there’s either a little bit of strain or tuning that’s occurring in some of her high notes. it doesn’t affect my enjoyment of the performance but i don’t feel as if she was massively robbed a la Kala.

and also yeah Adele is incredible and covering her songs is hard (see One and Only), so i get the high standards. i’m a big Adele fan, but for me i just appreciate that the song was done well and it’s also a very emotional song so hearing it done more leaning into that was nice (compared to the Sorelle / Manasseh battle which was killer vocally but not very emotionally charged to me)

• Like 3

Nadége had one of my favorite performances from last night. I loved the song choice and I actually really liked the melodic changes she made to it. Her tone is really pretty and it sounded really magical at times.

Was it perfect vocally? No, but very few people were last night. It’s not like she was super pitchy or anything, so it didn’t take away from the performance.

Edited by MusicBuff101
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, MusicBuff101 said:

Nadége had one of my favorite performances from last night. I loved the song choice and I actually really liked the melodic changes she made to it. Her tone is really pretty and it sounded really magical at time.

Was it perfect vocally? No, but very few people were last night. It’s not like she was super pitchy or anything, so it didn’t take away from the performance.

My only real problem was that there wasn't a lot of actual singing.  Her voice and tone were gorgeous.  But I feel like there weren't a whole lot of lyrics for her to actually sing.

But in the end, her going on meant that RLETTO didn't, so all in all, I'm happy.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MusicBuff101 said:

Nadége had one of my favorite performances from last night. I loved the song choice and I actually really liked the melodic changes she made to it. Her tone is really pretty and it sounded really magical at times.

I get that she started to lose stream from the bridge part, but at least it's not shaky. The opening is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. I liked the melodical choices and the  arrangement too, wish she could make it perfect from beginning to end though.

Edited by allistr

5 hours ago, MusicBuff101 said:

I found it super cool how she made the song her own. She started off really solid and by the book, and in the second half, she let loose and floated in the stratosphere which is what she does best. I get that she's not everybody's cup of tea, but I think that her tone and her artistry really sell me. She's easily my favorite to watch this season.

• Like 1

Unpopular playoff opinions..

- preferred Mafe's version of someone like you to  Sorelle/Manasseh. The latter is one of the most unique, perfect battles in recent memory. But i don't "feel" their rendition, at least on Sorelle's side of things. Felt like they were singing two different versions of the song. I connected with Mafe from start to finish.

- L. Rodgers had the best performance of the PO Pass Contestants.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Unpopular playoff opinions..

- preferred Mafe's version of someone like you to  Sorelle/Manasseh. The latter is one of the most unique, perfect battles in recent memory. But i don't "feel" their rendition, at least on Sorelle's side of things. Felt like they were singing two different versions of the song. I connected with Mafe from start to finish.

- L. Rodgers had the best performance of the PO Pass Contestants.

That's interesting cuz the #1 reason I love the battle so much is because of the emotional connection they all had, sorelle in particular.

• Like 1

Chance picking Nadege over Kyle was the worst and most ridiculous decision he's made all season, even worse than picking RLETTO over Val and Alyssa. Nadege is the type of singer I usually love, and I do like her tone, but the vocals just aren't there. "Clocks" was the weakest playoffs performance of the last two seasons imo

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, BrokenHearted said:

Chance picking Nadege over Kyle was the worst and most ridiculous decision he's made all season, even worse than picking RLETTO over Val and Alyssa. Nadege is the type of singer I usually love, and I do like her tone, but the vocals just aren't there. "Clocks" was the weakest playoffs performance of the last two seasons imo

I also thought Nadege had easily the weakest Playoff performance out of the Top 20 :ph34rwave: She sounded the best on the verses but even those had some shaky lines too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BrokenHearted said:

I don't think Nadege's performance was particularly strong & I think on any other team I wouldn't have agreed with her making the top 3 but both Kyle and RLetto were just incredibly boring to me. Kyle never even stuck out to me enough for me to feel strongly about him being eliminated

• Like 1

Also after rewatching the performance, Josh's PO was excellent. Might even be in my Top 3 of the round honestly. Still would much rather have someone else win this season but that was by far my favorite performance from him.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

Also after rewatching the performance, Josh's PO was excellent. Might even be in my Top 3 of the round honestly. Still would much rather have someone else win this season but that was by far my favorite performance from him.

I gave him a surprisingly high score on the rating thread because of it. His genre is not my cup of tea but his capability to sing well should be recognized.

Edited by allistr

Posted (edited)

A few more before we get into live shows.

- I honestly don't think Nathan Chester's version of Oh! Darling is so outclassed by Sasha and Juliet. 

Yeah, they are more powerful no denying that. But I think Nathan's vocal had a bit more nuance and suaveness that the other 2 lacked. I'd rank Sasha first, but Nathan and Juliet is a coin flip for me.

- ok, y'all know I'm a big Kala fan (arguably her biggest fan on here..) and not so much with Zoe. But I do think her version of Iris is just as good, In fact I slightly prefer Zoe's. Kala had the better first half but I prefer Zoe's 2nd half. Her decision to use her chest belting and sustain those notes near the end rather than Kala'a mix/headvoice approach made the performance more impactful imo.

Edited by Hsamid