The Voice's Unpopular Opinions Thread V2

istersay

I honestly enjoyed last night's episode. I think there was a lot of great song choices for the contestants. Everyone did great. 

- I thought Serenity was the best performance after Madison, Nathan and Asher. No idea why she was getting flak in the live thread when she was one of the only contestants that managed a solid vocal start to finish. 

- after relistening, L. was much worse than I remember. A lot of bum notes in the most crucial moments. The high notes sounded sharp, the lows were shaky, the transitions were not smooth at all. Hurts to say but I think she was in my top 3 worst performances of the night. I still think her and Olesen can bounce back though, cause they clearly have the vocal ability.

- Tae was the best country vocal of the night. Id go as far to say he had the best belting last night. Ridiculously clear and precise, with some actual oomph too, it sound  better live tbh.

5 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

- I thought Serenity was the best performance after Madison, Nathan and Asher. No idea why she was getting flak in the live thread when she was one of the only contestants that managed a solid vocal start to finish. 

because you can still sound bad despite being on pitch 😭 it’s not just about % of notes hit. Tae, Karen, and Josh just sounded way better than her despite missing a little.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

because you can still sound bad despite being on pitch 😭 it’s not just about % of notes hit. Tae, Karen, and Josh just sounded way better than her despite missing a little.

Ok ok.. those high notes sounded a lot more strained than I remember hearing last night. Maybe I take back what I said.. I wouldn't say it was an awful performance though.

Edited by Hsamid

On 5/7/2024 at 5:05 PM, FloorWax said:

I talked positively about her on the spoilers thread; but yeah, i find her tone almost unlistenable. Watching her performances i have to convince myself constantly that she doesn't sound that bad. 

Maybe she is just not for me, but surely there is an audience for her that will enjoy her voice and her musiç.

14 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

Reba should have picked Jackie instead of L. 

I do think both L and Jackie did good in the Playoffs, but in hindsight, it would've been a better choice to pick Jackie because she probably could have made it to at least Top9, but then again the one vote rule might make her end up on the bottom,so idk 

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 7:05 AM, FloorWax said:

This is why pitch is not something I really value as much as tonal quality and clarity. You gotta sound pleasant to my ears first so I'd actually pay attention to your singing. Could care less about you being 100% technically perfect.

Edited by Teraginn

31 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

Reba should have picked Jackie instead of L. 

After seeing L.'s Top 12 and Instant Save performances, I now agree.

10 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

So tone is why people don't like Serenity?

Interesting, I always thought she had a pretty regular pop voice for the most part.

Her voice sounded a bit shrilly at times, there are some pitch issues but I don't think she was that bad.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Interesting, I always thought she had a pretty regular pop voice for the most part.

I think  it's the enunciation for me, a little cringy 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Olivia's tone, for example, is a lot smoother and "cleaner", in my opinion. 

Edited by Gustavo527
I need to rewatch Serenity's performance more before giving a full opinion
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Tmp 12 said:

I think  it's the enunciation for me, a little cringy 

YES it has been bothering me ever since her audition

So for SF..

- Asher is in my bottom 3 of the night. Moreso to do with everyone else doing very good and having much better song choices that showcase their strengths. Asher was very good, but with a limiting song choice.

- kept seeing "Paris is not shook" comments so I listened to them side by side.. honestly, Paris's version is not on some other level. He definitely has the edge in power but I think a lot of that has to do with voice type more than anything. Tae's belts were a bit off tonight, but paris's performance also goes  off a bit near the end. 

-i have Nathan's version last out of all the "try a little tenderness" covers.. and Rayshun first. They are all great and have different things going for them though. Chris has the powerful tone, Rayshun the vocal dynamics, and Nathan that classic feel. Just vocally though, Nathan isn't quite at their level on this song.

This is a debate I doubt a single person cares about anymore but I distinctly remember people being very upset that Ashley Levin won that KO against Lilli Passero in S12 & I will forever maintain she won that pairing pretty easily. Ashley's run in general was very underrated IMO

Edited by indii

- Out of the 3 country singers, I think Tae Lewis has the overall best run on the show so far. Finale may change my opinion depending how Josh and Karen do though, Since Tae's 2nd Instant save is undeniably the weakest performance from any of them.

- Tae had the best IS performance of the season

- That being said, I actually think Josh may be the best singer out of the 3.. he has some very good power and breath control to go along with the grit. I'd also rank Karen last based on what they've shown in the comp. She's very good obviously, but her strength so far is her tone and delivery imo, especially for slower songs.

Edited by Hsamid

Tae had a good, solid run, with his only really weak performance being his 2nd IS, which is understandable, given the circumstances. Him being given the pimp spot on semis was weird, but he still did good. (And had IDF sweating a little bit lol)

His KO and PO are fantastic.

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 2