The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

23 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I thought it would hurt him, but the response has been much bigger than I had anticipated. I certainly didn’t predict his label would suspend him indefinitely. The industry apparently doesn’t think it’s worth the risk to associate with him in any way right now. They may revisit it later, depending on how things go over a period of time. 

Agreed, I’m also surprised. I think it’s a combination of factors: 1) it’s been repeated instances in the last few months 2) blm this summer made racism a much bigger issue pr wise 3) it makes country look bad. They prefer the more subtle forms of racism and don’t want anyone looking to hard, or to have more easy ammunition. 4) it gives them cover. Now, the next time someone says country is racist, they can point to this response as evidence to the contrary, and not deal with systemic issues.

• Like 2

I wonder if his bad behaviour (drinking, losing gigs, etc) was starting to get in the way of his career and the label just took advantage of the situation, starting some sort of chain in the industry to get him out. 

Edited by SNI2

26 minutes ago, SNI2 said:

I wonder if his bad behaviour (drinking, losing gigs, etc) was starting to get in the way of his career and the label just took advantage of the situation, starting some sort of chain in the industry to get him out. 

No way. Take a look at the roster of Big Loud Records. He is their revenue stream. Jake Owen is way past his prime. The others are dead weight. 

15 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

No way. Take a look at the roster of Big Loud Records. He is their revenue stream. Jake Owen is way past his prime. The others are dead weight. 

Yeah he’s making them way too much for them to care about his recklessness. Even with that video surfacing it’s not like there’s going to be mountains of Morgan Wallen CD’s or merch burnt up in flames by his fans. He was literally on top of the world and could’ve gotten away with some more reckless behavior but the n-word is making that all fall down.

Too soon to say whether this means he’s done for or even “cancelled” but it does show that they are willing to hold even their strongest accountable for his actions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

Yeah he’s making them way too much for them to care about his recklessness. Even with that video surfacing it’s not like there’s going to be mountains of Morgan Wallen CD’s or merch burnt up in flames by his fans. He was literally on top of the world and could’ve gotten away with some more reckless behavior but the n-word is making that all fall down.

Too soon to say whether this means he’s done for or even “cancelled” but it does show that they are willing to hold even their strongest accountable for his actions.

I noticed Big Loud already scrubbed their website of any mention of Morgan. Ouch!

Anyway, I’m not hoping that he’s cancelled forever. I think that would be a little too hash, IF he can get his sh*t together. That’s a big if, though. Let’s see what happens. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I noticed Big Loud already scrubbed their website of any mention of Morgan. Ouch!

Anyway, I’m not hoping that he’s cancelled forever. I think that would be a little too hash, IF he can get his sh*t together. That’s a big if, though. Let’s see what happens. 

Yeah, but his album is still for sale, and to stream (it’s just not on preferred playlists), as long as that’s true they’re still pulling in money. 

will be interesting to see if the places he’s booked to headline this summer dump him. That would impact revenue. 

Edited by seak05
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, seak05 said:

will be interesting to see if the places he’s booked to headline this summer dump him. 

Wouldn´t be surprised if that happens.

Either way if he manages to come back from this, it will definitely stay a black mark on his record. I´m not a fan at all of cancel culture and I agree that people need the opportunity to mature and change. I´m not saying that will be the case of Morgan who clearly has a lot to learn still, but who knows. I´d say for now this might give him a scare and eventually help him wake up.

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Wouldn´t be surprised if that happens.

Either way if he manages to come back from this, it will definitely stay a black mark on his record. I´m not a fan at all of cancel culture and I agree that people need the opportunity to mature and change. I´m not saying that will be the case of Morgan who clearly has a lot to learn still, but who knows. I´d say for now this might give him a scare and eventually help him wake up.

For sure. It's definitely up to him to make that change, educate himself or make up for it (because the "I didn't realize how bad the word was" excuse never was and never will be acceptable), and use his platform to speak out against it. This fiasco can end up being the greatest thing for him if he handles it the right way by taking accountability and doing whatever he needs to fix his image in a genuine manner. No one really cares if he's this alcoholic womanizer (who clearly doesn't care about the pandemic). If he apologizes and tries to point any blame towards the liquor, then he's not taking accountability.

Can't say I'm too surprised unfortunately, this is at least the third major incident I can think of in the past year (got arrested for intoxication, kicked off SNL) and every time he "apologized" and said he'd do better but clearly that hasn't happened. He's been given chances but keeps giving them away and it's not a good look for anyone. I hope that he can get the help that he needs (therapy, rehab, etc.), really learn from his mistakes, and get his life more together to become a better person. 

My more cynical self thinks that he'll be back in several months after he "takes some time off to work on himself" + some more PR statements, and it'll all kinda blow over. Because lets be real, many of his fans don't care so he could at least have a strong independent career even if the label won't pick him back up.

5 hours ago, teamjulia said:

He actually got better numbers on iTunes and Spotify over this, tragic..

There’s a very real chance that his album will be #1 for a 5th straight week. The 4th week officially ends tonight, but he’s all but certain to get that based on the numbers before the news hit.  If his fan base continues to support him, he could be setting records while being persona non grata at his own label. Awkward, to say the least.

ETA: I’m honestly not sure if this makes the situation better or worse, but Morgan did not direct the N-word at a Black person. He was yelling about one of his drunk, white friends who had been out partying with him. 

Edited by AngelaKD
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

There’s a very real chance that his album will be #1 for a 5th straight week. The 4th week officially ends tonight, but he’s all but certain to get that based on the numbers before the news hit.  If his fan base continues to support him, he could be setting records while being persona non grata at his own label. Awkward, to say the least.

ETA: I’m honestly not sure if this makes the situation better or worse, but Morgan did not direct the N-word at a Black person. He was yelling about one of his drunk, white friends who had been out partying with him. 

Regarded the bolded, it obviously would have been considerably worse if he had directed the N-word at a black person. There would definitely be no coming back from that. As it stands, I think he can come back and still have success. It will just take some time and effort on his part. 

This is from three weeks ago. His latest version of IAMOCS.

This is Q&A video. IAMOCS is the first song that he sang in this video at 2:11. I gotta say he's a hundred times better vocalist now. You can clearly see the difference between his Voice performance and this version. His voice has matured so much and growls are spot on.

Edited by Hamza Tufail
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

This is Q&A video. IAMOCS is the first song that he sang in this video at 2:11. I gotta da he's a hundred times better vocalist now. You can clearly see the difference between his Voice performance and this version. His voice has matured so much and growls are spot on.

If only he performed like that on the show.

8 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

This is Q&A video. IAMOCS is the first song that he sang in this video at 2:11. I gotta da he's a hundred times better vocalist now. You can clearly see the difference between his Voice performance and this version. His voice has matured so much and growls are spot on.

Fantastic.

• Like 2

This could be interesting.

Maren Morris, Luke Combs to Discuss Accountability in Country Music

Critic Ann Powers will moderate the Q&A session during Country Radio Seminar’s 2021 virtual edition

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/luke-combs-maren-morris-accountability-panel-1123900/

Ann Powers is the senior country/folk/Americana music writer for NPR.

4 minutes ago, WastedinMemphis said:

Critic Ann Powers will moderate the Q&A session during Country Radio Seminar’s 2021 virtual edition

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/luke-combs-maren-morris-accountability-panel-1123900/

Luke Combs is doing this?! :no: Ugh, the hypocrisy... 

Edited by Bk1234

10 minutes ago, WastedinMemphis said:

Will be interesting to see if Luke addresses the confederate flag stuff. Really do wish they had more diversity on the panel.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Will be interesting to see if Luke addresses the confederate flag stuff. Really do wish they had more diversity on the panel.

I doubt he will. :/ I agree. I personally think Mickey would have been a great choice. 

Edited by Bk1234

23 minutes ago, WastedinMemphis said:

Interesting. Luke Combs has also seen a bit of controversy this year so let´s see what he says.

• Like 1