The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

Just now, Bk1234 said:

the shade is real GIF by VH1

I actually liked WTW in their IG stuff from before we got to see them on the show. I think my problem with them on the show is that their inexperience really shows. Jacy isn't matured enough, Mama is shaky, and Mia isn't amazing enough (yet, she has lots of potential) to carry the group as a soloist.

1 minute ago, FloorWax said:

I actually liked WTW in their IG stuff from before we got to see them on the show. I think my problem with them on the show is that their inexperience really shows. Jacy isn't matured enough, Mama is shaky, and Mia isn't amazing enough (yet, she has lots of potential) to carry the group as a soloist.

Much of it was nerves. And you’re right. The mom isn’t quite at the level

she needs to be. She was just filling in for the other sister. As for Mia, maybe she can be a soloist, but I’d need to hear her sing songs from start to finish, and show her range and dynamics. 

Given the recent controversies, if you are interested in writers with a different perspective on Nashville music and the music industry, you might try the following - not meant to be an exhaustive list. They are all active on twitter and also offer a decent window into artists outside the Nashville mainstream. 

Ann Powers (NPR)
@annkpowers

Marissa Moss
@MarissaRMoss
https://www.marissarmoss.com/

Natalie Weiner
@natalieweiner

https://dontrocktheinbox.substack.com/p/issueone (with Marissa Moss)

Lorie Liebig
@lorieliebig
https://www.morethanacowgirl.com/

Seak05, it's great you posted the Chapel Hart song.  I just learned about them from an Ann Powers tweet this weekend. They have other really cool songs on youtube.

Edited by WastedinMemphis

27 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

Agreed. Their IG stuff was pretty good so I wasn´t surprised there when I heard they got 4 chairs. I was surprised when I heard the actual audition.

There's a lot of stuff unpacked in this article. Chris Willman talked to several Nashville execs including people on the radio side and other managers for this.

What’s Next for Morgan Wallen? The Country Music Industry Considers His Future… and Its Own | Variety

I'm just going to pull the sales, streaming and airplay portion since that was just talked about a couple posts up. The whole thing though is a good read.

On Wednesday, the day after the scandal broke via TMZ’s webcasting of the video in question, radio airplay for Wallen fell 80% across the nation, according to Country Aircheck. That was to be expected, with all the top chains, including Entercom and Cox, joining iHeartRadio and Cumulus in ordering him off their stations entirely, and many independent stations following suit. But besides calling in angrily to those stations to demand Wallen, fans voted with their pocketbooks by purchasing or re-purchasing his music. On the iTunes charts following the mass exodus of broadcasters, Wallen had all three of the top spots on the album sales chart (for an EP as well as his two full albums) and seven out of the top 10 songs. Results were nearly the same on Amazon Music’s sales chart.

Variety looked at stats provided by Alpha Data for the last few days of sales and streaming. On Wednesday, Wallen’s digital song sales increased from Tuesday’s by 327%. When it came to album sales, the jump was even more staggering: 1221%. The fan base, without a doubt, was making a statement.

What can be lost in looking at those seemingly staggering figures, though, was how tiny a slice of the pie sales are in today’s music market, versus streams, where it’s harder for the most dedicated part of an energized fan base to affect a change. That huge increase in album sales from Tuesday and Wednesday amounted to going from 609 copies sold the day before the scandal broke to 8,044 the day after — not a huge amount on the overall scale of tens of millions of people becoming interested in the story.

Wallen’s pace was much more consistent from day to day this week when it came to streams, according to information provided by Alpha Data. On Tuesday, he had 21,562,03 on-demand audio streams, which increased to 22,826,114 on Wednesday — a 5.86% increase from the day his scandal broke late in the evening to the following day. You could view that as an only modest increase… or you could see it as very much bucking the odds, since the streaming services were almost uniformly removing him from specialized playlists and prominent front-page spots, which pretty much guaranteed that those seeking Wallen’s music out were doing it very purposefully.

Taken in all, the data does suggest that Wallen, if he were to choose to take a defiant stance, probably could try to keep going and engage his fan base directly without the assistance of his label, whoever his next agent will be, or any support to speak of from the mass media or country establishment. That’s highly unlikely, of course. But as the days pass without any additional statement from Wallen beyond the initial, highly unsatisfying apology, there’s more wondering to be done about whether the star is resisting what are surely calls from those closest to him to announce an entry into rehab and a voluntary recess from his professional career.

And since Luke Combs was a topic earlier today, here's this part

How the country music industry addresses the scandal going forward is a separate question. But it will be addressed at the upcoming Country Radio Seminar, the biggest annual gathering of industry pros, which is happening virtually instead of at its usual Nashville Renaissance Hotel location Feb. 16-19. Although most of the program was set in stone and a few panels had even been pre-recorded before Wallen became a topic of national discussion and furor, at least one radio panel is being reconfigured to address how radio responded to the startling development.

Moreover, Maren Morris and Luke Combs. plan to address it in a joint interview they’re doing for Country Radio Seminar. Previously, they’d been slated to take on less provocative matters in their panel. Morris has been the more outspoken of the two stars — and has already made her feelings about Wallen letting country down public on her social media — but it was Combs who spoke up first to suggest they address a much bigger elephant in the room than their careers.

“We have been working with Luke and Maren to do a featured artist interview session,” says RJ Curtis, the executive director of Country Radio Broadcasters and the annual convention they host. “You’ve got these two different kind of artists, Luke steeped in mainstream country and Maren with one foot in pop, who’ve reached the top as the CMAs’ top male and female vocalists in the past year, and we were going to talk about, ‘How are you building your career?’ But this week Luke Combs woke up and saw that news and was very disturbed by it, and called Maren, who’s cutting an album, and together they said, ‘We want to change the topic of this conversation. We think this is more pressing’ —  not just for a segment of those 50 minutes but the whole thing. They renamed it ‘Accountability, Responsibility and What the Future of Country Music Looks Like.” They want to take it on. Luke may have strong feelings about things, but we haven’t really seen him express that as much in print, yet he instigated it.

“CRS is a good place to have that conversation,” continues Curtis. “In the past as an organization we’ve kind of skirted the heavy stuff, but last year we finally had an entire session on female airplay. We didn’t solve anything, but we brought it to the floor. Since then the racism in country music thing has been bubbling under. These two artists took control of this and said they want to talk about it. They are the male and female leaders in the format right now, and they don’t want to avoid it; they want to step right in. I applaud that.”

^

According to that article, WME dropped him too. That was a very interesting read. I tend to agree with the execs that the opportunity to come back will likely be there, as long as he handles it the right way. Celebs have done much worse things, and managed to stage a successful comeback. 

The discussion around whether the punishment fits the crime was particularly interesting to me, because I was thinking about that today. Many people are basically saying....”wait a minute, he said this to a white friend,” while many black people throw the word around all the time, including at each other, and they don’t get cancelled.” In no way am I suggesting what Wallen did should be excused, but there does appear to be a double standard that a lot of people are having a difficult time wrapping their head around, me

included. My expectation is that nobody uses the word. 

Anyway, this is probably too controversial for a general discussion thread for a reality show, so I’m just going to leave it at that. 

Edited by TeamAudra

3 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

The discussion around whether the punishment fits the crime was particularly interesting to me, because I was thinking about that today. Many people are basically saying....”wait a minute, he said this to a white friend,” while many black people throw the word around all the time, including at each other, and they don’t get cancelled.” In no way am I suggesting what Wallen did should be excused, but there does appear to be a double standard that a lot of people are having a difficult time wrapping their head around, me

Anyway, this is probably too controversial for a general discussion thread for a reality show, so I’m just going to leave it at that. 

white people, y'all... lmao

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

^

According to that article, WME dropped him too. That was a very interesting read. I tend to agree with the execs that the opportunity to come back will likely be there, as long as he handles it the right way. Celebs have done much worse things, and managed to stage a successful comeback. 

Well it's because white people enslaved Black people, and then put up no N** allowed signs, and Black people didn't. 

Really though, as a Jew I can make Jewish jokes that people who are Muslim and Christian (etc) shouldn't make. But I don't make the same jokes about Muslim, as my Muslim friends can make. Words don't hit the same coming from all groups. 

And especially in this country, racially charged words don't count the same coming from a white person as a Black person. Also consider this, he used it in a derogatory way towards his white friend. Suggesting that calling someone a N** is an insult, and implying their Black is an insult. 

Oh, and I 100% would be fired from my job if I used the term in a personal or professional capacity. How about we stop centering the conversation around the white person who screwed up's feelings? And instead consider all the Black artists who haven't received even one chance, despite not screwing up. They're the ones who have been cancelled. 

Edited by seak05
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Well it's because white people enslaved Black people, and then put up no N** allowed signs, and Black people didn't. 

Really though, as a Jew I can make Jewish jokes that people who are Muslim and Christian (etc) shouldn't make. But I don't make the same jokes about Muslim, as my Muslim friends can make. Words don't hit the same coming from all groups. 

And especially in this country, racially charged words don't count the same coming from a white person as a Black person. Also consider this, he used it in a derogatory way towards his white friend. Suggesting that calling someone a N** is an insult, and implying their Black is an insult. 

Oh, and I 100% would be fired from my job if I used the term in a personal or professional capacity. How about we stop centering the conversation around the white person who screwed up's feelings? And instead consider all the Black artists who haven't received even one chance, despite not screwing up. They're the ones who have been cancelled. 

:yes: to everything.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

The discussion around whether the punishment fits the crime was particularly interesting to me, because I was thinking about that today. Many people are basically saying....”wait a minute, he said this to a white friend,” while many black people throw the word around all the time, including at each other, and they don’t get cancelled.” In no way am I suggesting what Wallen did should be excused, but there does appear to be a double standard that a lot of people are having a difficult time wrapping their head around, me included. My expectation is that nobody uses the word. 

1 hour ago, seak05 said:

The first thing I'm going to say is that not knowing something is okay, as long as the person is willing to be educated. 😉

Anyways, since that word is a reclaimed slur, it's okay to use it if the user is a black person. If the user is white, it's absolutely unacceptable. The reason is simple: power relations b/w black and white people. White people historically and currently have more power/privilege in our society. 😌

Edited by disney1024
  • Like 3

If Wallen really wanted to, he could become defiant, act out a persecution complex and probably make a good chunk of change appealing to the Kevin Sorbo, Rand Paul, Laura Ingraham, Rush Limbaugh types in America. It would kill any long-term growth aspirations though. And so far he doesn't appear to be that type of person anyway.

26 minutes ago, visitor22 said:

jamhLq8.jpg

mcBbMiA.jpg

EtgWMTvXYAAtUud.jpg

EtmBin1XUAAC7ga.jpg

These backwards female b***** are all cancelled.

Danielle Bradberry lmao, I hope she goes back in her fairytale land where racism doesn't exist.

Miranda can stay salty that Blake dumped her a**

Carly Pearce.... she can leave and never come back.

Lauren Alaina.... Taryn outsold her "Three" song and made her irrelevant so who gives a s*** 

Lmao Raelynn, who was she again? Useless S2 artist to never be seen.

If I made a mistake, tell me, but as far as I know, country females can be just as backwards. Glad to see the highest ranks aren't here tho(Dolly, Martina, Faith, Carrie)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TeamAudra said:

I believe it’s this post. She happens to be AA. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CK67MuohXxl/?igshid=7t4q37jvnej7

I feel like she’s trying to say that he needs improvement and that people should try and help him rather than give up on him. That part is fine in my opinion and is what I feel the artists who commented were focusing on. The main negative thing about this are the words “he does not deserve this.” While he doesn’t deserve to be cancelled (no one does), getting dropped and having his songs pulled off the radio (as well as a few other things) are all fair punishments for what he did.

• Like 2

Just now, Bk1234 said:

I feel like she’s trying to say that he needs improvement and that people should try and help him rather than give up on him. That part is fine in my opinion and is what I feel the artists who commented were focusing on. The main negative thing about this are the words “he does not deserve this.” While he doesn’t deserve to be cancelled (no one does), getting dropped and having his songs pulled off the radio (as well as a few other things) are all fair punishments for what he did.

Yeah, I’m not going to disagree with anything you said, but this is another example where artists are being dragged through the mud (by Maren this time) without context. She should have included the IG post, so people can make up their own minds. 

• Like 1