The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

9 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

Well all of this further proves my hypothesis that country isn't awful - it's country males that are awful.

There’s an easy solution to that, and we all know what it is! But, I won’t hold my breath. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

I don't see Morgan coming back from that one. That's some career ending stuff right there.

To be fair, this doesnt apply to all country singers, but these are the ones who have prominently more exposure and success, which leads the general public to think that they are all like that. They're giving country music a bad name.

Maybe. I’m keeping a close eye on Twitter, and gradually Nashville people are beginning to speak out. I’ve seen song writers, photographers, radio stations, Maren Morris, Kelsea Ballerini, and of course Micky Guyton go off so far. It’s building, and it will only get worse for him in the coming days. I don’t think there’s anything he can say or do to stop it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

You sure gotta hope that with battles taping later this week, they didn't end up finally using a Morgan Wallen song for battles...

Could end up being a guaranteed montage there.

Double yikes if it resulted in a steal-

I doubt a Morgan Wallen song would incite a steal though. 

Edited by FloorWax
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

Double yikes if it resulted in a steal-

I doubt a Morgan Wallen song would incite a steal though. 

I've heard relatively positive things about his music from non-country fans so I suppose it's possible it could result in a steal. I just haven't made an effort to give him a listen.

Edited by Someone648

42 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

I've heard relatively positive things about his music from non-country fans so I suppose it's possible it could result in a steal. I just haven't made an effort to give him a listen.

I've heard positive things about some of his music too, but good songs don't equal songs suited for battles. I've heard choruses or snippets of some of his songs and none of them seem like a battles type song. But hey, I could be wrong.

• Like 1

I do not know if this is a fair comparison (because music industry vs YT gaming), but this whole thing with Morgan reminds me of the whole Pewdiepie situation back in 2017 (I think) when he said the same word during one of his livestreams. He did apologize for it later on and his YT career still seems fine now. I honestly doubt Morgan's career would end right then and there. However, looking at what his happening now, his popular momentum will slow down for the time being. It might be because he is arguably the biggest country singer at the moment. 

Edited by Gmm99

7 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Wow, I do think this is going to hurt Morgan’s career, at least in the short term. I think this is just the beginning. 

It’s going to be a weird week for him and his team. Radio is pulling his songs, but the predictions are solid that his album will get its 4th week at #1. Since that’s based purely on consumption, I can even see his hardcore fans rallying behind him and pushing his album to a 5th week at the top.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I think Kelsea/Taryn's take here is a bad one. They're right that a double standard exists, but how about, no one should get away with being racist. This isn't actually about you, maybe stop trying to make it about yourself. 

They weren’t talking about this incident specifically though. There’s been a whole series of incidents leading up to this which weren’t racist—they were other kinds of poor public behavior. He was arrested for D&D outside Kid Rock’s bar, he broke COVID protocols, he has a newborn who who he sees only when it’s convenient for his schedule. 

They are right that a female artist couldn’t get away with ANY of that.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Someone648 said:

Well all of this further proves my hypothesis that country isn't awful - it's country males that are awful.

I’d recommend Chris Stapleton and Jason Isbell

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

They weren’t talking about this incident specifically though. There’s been a whole series of incidents leading up to this which weren’t racist—they were other kinds of poor public behavior. He was arrested for D&D outside Kid Rock’s bar, he broke COVID protocols, he has a newborn who who he sees only when it’s convenient for his schedule. 

They are right that a female artist couldn’t get away with ANY of that.

I'm not saying they're wrong....and I'm well aware of the other incidents, but they commented after THIS incident. This incident is about racism first, not drunkeness, and it's really not about you (white female country artist). 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, B-B said:

I’d recommend Chris Stapleton and Jason Isbell

Indeed.  Or others on the current Americana charts.

https://americanamusic.org/radio-chart-singles

https://americanamusic.org/radio-chart-album

Tyler Childers isn't on those charts currently but he is a strong counterweight to views of country males.  His music is more "country" than anything on the mainstream charts, but he is a very different sort.  Check this NPR review.  https://www.npr.org/sections/we-insist-a-timeline-of-protest-music-in-2020/2020/09/18/914469882/tyler-childers-pushes-back-on-southern-values-and-our-long-violent-history

Edited by WastedinMemphis
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I'm not saying they're wrong....and I'm well aware of the other incidents, but they commented after THIS incident. This incident is about racism first, not drunkeness, and it's really not about you (white female country artist). 

Kelsea and Taryn responded to a specific post about this incident. It doesn’t confirm or deny their thoughts on racism. 

2 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

Kelsea and Taryn responded to a specific post about this incident. It doesn’t confirm or deny their thoughts on racism. 

Dude, they responded to this incident by making it about them. It was the wrong take. You want to comment on this incident, your comment should be about the racism...not how it impacts white women. This isn't' hard.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Dude, they responded to this incident by making it about them. It was the wrong take. You want to comment on this incident, your comment should be about the racism...not how it impacts white women. This isn't' hard.

I see where you’re coming from. Black women are treated even worse than white women in the industry, and that’s a fact. They could have had a better response. 😕

Edited by Bk1234