American Idol Season 21 Spoilers - Presented By The Idol Pad

Idol Maniac

Why would they need to limit country singers? If they do that, then they’d need to limit the amount of pop, R&B, blues, indie, and rock singers too. People kill me with this “I hate country music so the voters are just stupid!” outlook. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

14 minutes ago, Carrie_On said:

Why would they need to limit country singers? If they do that, then they’d need to limit the amount of pop, R&B, blues, indie, and rock singers too. People kill me with this “I hate country music so the voters are just stupid!” outlook. 

Yeah I obviously have my personal biases, but I still respect country artists and they are just as valid as any other genre lmao

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carrie_On said:

Honestly, i'm noticing that the outrage in social media about country singers making it far on American Idol is awful. To the point that people always complain when a singer that is country advances over a non-country singer, even if the non-country singer deserved to be eliminated. 

• Like 1

Also, can someone please tell me how many country winners really are?? Because, according to Wikipedia, the only male winners that are actually classified as country are Scotty Mccrery, Laine Hardy and Chayce Beckham. Trent Harmon is classified as country but i kind of followed that season and i don't remember him being country during the show. The others WGWG are classified in other genres such as folk and folk-rock. If we add Carrie Underwood, the only female country singer that has won, that would make only 4 or 5 country winners, am i right?? Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

9 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Or limit the number of country singers who make the semifinals.  Like no more than 2.

I'm fine with the number of country singers but why do they ALWAYS receive massive edits? Why do women and POC always get 3/4 of their pre-live performances cut out? Everybody in the Top 11 this season other than Lady K (surprise, the only WOC of those 11!) had all their performances aired. All 3 Top 14 cuts had almost all of their performances cut.

Edited by redwood79
  • Like 4

41 minutes ago, redwood79 said:

Everybody in the Top 11 this season other than Lady K (surprise, the only WOC of those 11!) had all their performances aired.

Mike too 💀

According to ABC: "There are singers, then there are idols." People mistakenly think that American Idol is primarily a vocal competition. It's meant to be an entertaining television series about the search for the next American Idol / unsigned recording star.

Unaired, montaged, and shortened performances can occur for a variety of reasons. They might be vocally subpar. They might have low entertainment value. They might be deemed problematic to show. They might be unimportant to the storyline of an episode or the season. Viewers aren't privy to behind-the-scenes information, so we shouldn't automatically make the divisive assumption that TPTB based their decision on a contestant's race. 

Edited by RTV

8 hours ago, RTV said:

According to ABC: "There are singers, then there are idols." People mistakenly think that American Idol is primarily a vocal competition. It's meant to be an entertaining television series about the search for the next American Idol / unsigned recording star.

Ok. That's fair

13 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

Also, can someone please tell me how many country winners really are?? Because, according to Wikipedia, the only male winners that are actually classified as country are Scotty Mccrery, Laine Hardy and Chayce Beckham. Trent Harmon is classified as country but i kind of followed that season and i don't remember him being country during the show. The others WGWG are classified in other genres such as folk and folk-rock. If we add Carrie Underwood, the only female country singer that has won, that would make only 4 or 5 country winners, am i right?? Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

No, this is absolutely correct.

I think it just FEELS like there is more country overload because there's been a recent string of strong country contestants.

For instance, as far as winners go, Country winners make up 21% of all winners.

But, if you broaden that out to the Top 3, Country winners make up only 17.5%!

But, if you look at ABCs Idol (S16-S19), 50% are country winners and 25% in the Top 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, thenghreport said:

No, this is absolutely correct.

I think it just FEELS like there is more country overload because there's been a recent string of strong country contestants.

For instance, as far as winners go, Country winners make up 21% of all winners.

But, if you broaden that out to the Top 3, Country winners make up only 17.5%!

But, if you look at ABCs Idol (S16-S19), 50% are country winners and 25% in the Top 3.

That might be in part because Luke Bryan is one of the judges, and he's a country singer.

On 5/20/2022 at 10:16 PM, CarmenSandiego said:

That might be in part because Luke Bryan is one of the judges, and he's a country singer.

I don't think its that Luke is a country singer. It's the type of country singer he is (bro-country). Keith Urban was an Idol judge & country singer, but during his judging Candice Glover, Caleb Johnson, Nick Fradiani, & Trent Harmon won. Not 1 country winner. I'm not considering Trent because he wasn't country on the show (despite going country post-show). I think Keith was more open to non-country contestants & so was his fanbase.

12 hours ago, ptebwwong said:

I don't think its that Luke is a country singer. It's the type of country singer he is (bro-country). Keith Urban was an Idol judge & country singer, but during his judging Candice Glover, Caleb Johnson, Nick Fradiani, & Trent Harmon won. Not 1 country winner. I'm not considering Trent because he wasn't country on the show (despite going country post-show). I think Keith was more open to non-country contestants & so was his fanbase.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Keith being a country singer and an Idol judge.  Yeah, Luke is a bro-country singer, so he's more partial to country contestants, especially bro-country singers.  And his fan base is definitely more partial to country singers.  I'd rather have Keith Urban than Luke for that reason.

Edited by CarmenSandiego

Part of the problem is when you have winners who really did not represent themselves as Country singers on the show - but ended up being marketed as such.  Very obvious from Season 15 on.

Then there's the problem of Luke telling Mike Parker he belongs in Country.  Mike actually had a great R&B sound.  But he was doomed trying to compete with Noah and Huntergirl. 

Overall, there was more musical diversity with the winners with Pop, Country, R&B, Rock, singer song writer at FOX.

• Like 1

Well... only 5 more months until Judges auditions begin! Who's ready? :haha: 

Jokes aside, it was fun overthinking and overanalyzing everything with you all in the other spoiler thread. Cheers to another season of overanalyzing everything just for a WGWG to win... again! See y'all later this year 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 hours ago, m1key said:

Cheers to another season of overanalyzing everything just for a WGWG to win... again!

all 3 judges comment on viewer support for contestants like Noah:

https://hollywoodlife.com/2022/05/23/american-idol-judges-reaction-noah-thompson-winning-season-20

Winning comes down to a combination of things. But it's more about being relatable and having a story that resonates with viewers than simply about being a WGWG. Several of those audition for American Idol and The Voice every season, yet they don't all garner enough voter support to advance far or win.

2 minutes ago, RTV said:

all 3 judges comment on viewer support for contestants like Noah:

https://hollywoodlife.com/2022/05/23/american-idol-judges-reaction-noah-thompson-winning-season-20

Winning comes down to a combination of things. But it's more about being relatable and having a story that resonates with viewers than simply about being a WGWG. Several of those audition for American Idol and The Voice every season, yet they don't all garner enough voter support to advance far or win.

So it's about being a good looking white guy with a good back story. That isn't any better really.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, m1key said:

Cheers to another season of overanalyzing everything just for a WGWG to win... again!

Agreed. A girl will never win Idol again if the audience and teenage girls have it their way with the voting next year. And they even made a downfall parody about Noah winning with HunterGirl finishing 2nd.

2 minutes ago, CandiceFan12 said:

Agreed. A girl will never win Idol again if the audience and teenage girls have it their way with the voting next year. And they even made a downfall parody about Noah winning with HunterGirl finishing 2nd.

It's not teenage girls that are voting it's women 50+ oh and Elliott. :giggle:

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

So it's about being a good looking white guy with a good back story. That isn't any better really.

FROM THE SOUTH TOO. Why do you all forget that part??

Comparing the first ABC season of Idol...

Gabby was from Pittsburgh, PA.

Maddie was from Iowa and Caleb from Georgia...

Noah is from Kentucky and Huntergirl from Tennessee. Not really shocking how they ended up the favored Top 2. IMO