The Voice of Holland began airing on RTL4 on 09/17/10. The show's twelfth season was scheduled to run for 15 episodes. Twelve of those have already been recorded. The last three would have been broadcast live. The season premiered on January 7, and the second episode of blind auditions aired on January 14.
Having the show suspended so suddenly over these serious allegations must be a shock for fans excited about watching the new season and for the current contestants, as well as their families and friends. It would be especially disappointing for those who advanced through all the pre-recorded rounds.
summary of the documentary:
In spring 2021, Dutch TV news program BOOS heard about sexually inappropriate behavior at The Voice of Holland and decided to investigate the claims in August. Journalist Tim Hofman asked people to contact BOOS with any information. "Numerous reactions followed from people who said they were victim or witness." BOOS sent emails on January 12 about the alleged misconduct to Dutch broadcasting company RTL, current producer ITV Studios, former producer Talpa Network, John de Mol Jr., the accused men, and a few more individuals. ITV immediately started an external investigation into the allegations, led by reputed Dutch law firm Van Doorne. RTL also requested the reported abuses be investigated by the Public Prosecutions Department.
To date, 19 young women have come forward with similar stories and accusations about Jeroen Rietbergen, pianist and band leader on The Voice of Holland. The events took place from 2010 to 2021. These women are either participants, employees, or former employees on The Voice of Holland. Rietbergen (50) issued a statement to the press on January 15 admitting he'd had relations with participants and expressing "sincerest apologies" to the women involved for his wrong behavior. He announced that he will cease to work for any The Voice show effective immediately. Rietbergen is married to the sister of John de Mol Jr., billionaire creator of The Voice concept. Linda de Mol split from her husband last weekend and is taking a break from her own television career.
John de Mol Jr. (66) spoke with Tim Hofman on January 19 after viewing the BOOS video. John claims he learned in April 2019 of inappropriate texts Rietbergen sent to one young female contestant. Because he had been working with Rietbergen for 11 years and "believes everyone deserves a second chance," John reprimanded his brother-in-law that same day and warned him to never text another female participant or colleague. John states he was only responsible for The Voice of Holland the rest of that year and did not hear of any other instances of misconduct during those months.
Fifteen women came forward independently with similar stories about the same director, whose name has not yet been revealed. This director made sexual remarks in the workplace and touched people without permission.
Dutch singer Marco Borsato (55) was a coach on The Voice of Holland from 2011 to 2015. From 2012 to 2020, he was also a coach at The Voice Kids. Borsato was linked to having affairs and touching underage girls. On December 14, a 22-year-old woman reported Borsato to police and pressed charges for obscene and inappropriate touching. She was 15 when the alleged abuse started. Borsato pressed charges on December 17, accusing the woman of fabricating the story and defamation and her mother of incitement and complicity. Two additional victims came to John van den Heuvel. Three young women also told BOOS that Borsato touched them without permission. One of them was an employee at The Voice of Holland. Three participants of The Voice Kids also came forward. Two girls (ages 13 and 14) were touched on the bottom. A third witnessed the behavior regularly on the set. Borsato denies all the accusations.
Rapper Ali B (40) became a coach in 2013, and he's been a coach at The Voice Kids since 2016. He is also co-owner of management agency SPEC and record label Trifecta. It has been said that he has shown aggressive behavior behind the scenes, has had an affair with a contestant, has regularly been unfaithful to his wife, and has assaulted two women. Two victims filed official police reports against the coach on January 11 and 18. BOOS spoke with two women who detailed their accusations of Ali Bouali in the video. The first was an 18-year-old contestant on The Voice of Holland eight years ago. She pressed charges against Ali B for raping her at his studio in Almere weeks after her elimination. Ali B allegedly visited the other woman in her home after her elimination. She asked him to leave the second time he told her he wanted to have sex, and he left without saying anything. Ali B responded to the message from BOOS by saying, "First, I am 100 percent convinced that I am innocent of any abuse of power or any sexual misconduct whatsoever. That means that I deny the anonymous, vague imputations from BOOS completely. I cannot possibly respond to the gossip and insinuations that BOOS collected. This is scandalmongering, and I am unsure what it is I should defend myself against." After saying it apparently happened "a long time ago," he adds: "I reiterate that this allegation cannot be true."