American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown

Alex95

1 minute ago, Zoey said:

I don’t think someone needs to be discussed on a public online forum when they aren’t part of the conversation tbf. I think it’s rude and wouldn’t want to see it but I didn’t bring him up. I was just defending him because I think it’s ridiculous. 

Well, I have to agree with you with that. I do think QK's comment was just a joke but I do understand how it comes across another way. But we all should just move on from this conversation....we can agree that Elliott is shady and you either love him or hate him, we stan a polarizing icon. (even if he gets under my skin LMAO)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elliott said:

Y’all acting like I also don’t constantly shade Haley and then turn around and rank one of her performances at #1. Maybe I did the same with Jessica!

NARRATOR VOICE: I did not.

I was gonna say, you do the same on Haley too. :haha:

And someone else, but I'm not gonna go into other shows.  :haha:

3 minutes ago, jarmon said:

Well, I have to agree with you with that. I do think QK's comment was just a joke but I do understand how it comes across another way. But we all should just move on from this conversation....we can agree that Elliott is shady and you either love him or hate him, we stan a polarizing icon. (even if he gets under my skin LMAO)

Yeah I wasn't really being serious most of my shade is just in a joking manner. I have nothing against Elliott or anyone here for that manner because it's not like I actually know anyone here personally so it's just whatever.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zoey said:

I knew it was going to be considered one of her best so tanked it to twenty. 

Nearly ten seasons on and she would easily rank in my bottom three least favourite/least talented idol contestants ever. My dislike has never gone away. Lazaro and Briana Ramirez-Rial would rank higher. :haha:

I wouldn't go that far lol, for me I just thought she was so basic/ordinary and yet beat out so many contestants much more talented than her. Just look at her scores on WNTS. Someone like Syesha could never get a single 5-star performance on that site, yet Hollie was handed them like they were going out of style. Oh well, it's all subjective at the end of the day I guess. I didn't purposely tank her because I don't care enough to do that, but neither performance escaped my bottom five.

10. Joshua Ledet "When A Man Loves A Woman"

JHvLXJ3.png

10.3/20

Watch Here

@FrogLenzen - 1/20

@*Wallace - 4/20

@*Chris - 5/20

@Alex95 - 5/20

@*Lily - 5/20

@jarmon - 6/20

@NGM - 7/20

@totes4totes - 8/20

@goofycilla90 - 8/20

@rdhaley96 - 9/20

@*Diana - 9/20

@taylorkat - 10/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 10/20

@Zoey - 11/20

@#jeah - 11/20

@QueenKalie - 11/20

@1234567890 - 11/20

@Crisis - 12/20

@hayden98 - 12/20

@Steven_ - 14/20

@sublymonal - 14/20

@Elliott - 15/20

@*Amanda - 17/20

@JC - 17/20

@Solaris - 18/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 18/20

Wally

I love Joshua and think he's an incredible talent. I am sad that he has only two performances in the finals as I felt he deserved at least one more (I personally would have loved or been most happy with any of "Runaway Baby," "Ready for Love" or "To Love Somebody" making it to the finals here). But at the same time, I'm certainly grateful that my Top 2 performances of Joshua's made the finals here, and I will certainly rank them high. I was strongly hoping for a duo to advance this performance because I don't trust some of y'all when it comes  Joshua - so a big thank you to Priscilla & Chris on advancing this performance into the finals!

What can I say about this performance? This was an amazing and incredible performance from Joshua. Yeah, you can say the song is old fashioned and whatnot, but Joshua truly sold the Passion and essence of this song! His vocal is amazing and so strong through. I love all of his vocal choices he chooses and delivered here! I loved how he sang that opening verse. But I also really loved how he sang that chorus. He makes it all so easy and effortless. I really love how he sings the part:

Tryin' to hold on to your precious love.

Crying Baby, please don't treat me bad.

But then that big note he sang and transitions into a whistle note? That was such an EPIC moment. :omg: Danf that was incredible! I was blown say and impressed by that! :dead: Joshua TOOK US TO THE CHURCH at that moment. And well he did for this whole performance. But then....who does he think he is when he took off that jacket? Oh Joshua. :dead: But then the rest of his vocals and belting was all amazing slayage! :yes: I also love how he added "this change is gonna come" and "this man's world" at the end. It was like he was demonstrating his future song choices! :giggle: But this performance deserves all the love and all of the praise!

Chris

Joshua absolutely nailed every aspect of this performance - I am ranking it a tad bit higher than I originally would have had as I am afraid that he's about to get done dirty in this final ranking. 

Alex

Me. Also I know this site loves to thirst over their white guys, but Joshua taking off his jacket was hotter than anything Phillip or Colton could ever dream of doing.

Lily

YOU BETTA SANG!!! The way that if I was in the competition and heard this I would simply quit.

Richard

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I thought this performance was somewhat overrated, and while I still do feel that way, I have more positive feelings for it after my most recent rewatch. 

Technically, this was a very masterful performance, even throughout that slightly uneventful first half. None of Joshua’s notes landed wrong, and he maintained good stage presence all the way through. Once Joshua nailed that high note, though, the performance was taken to a completely different level, and his conviction on display throughout that last third of the performance really sold it for me. 

Perhaps the lack of Joshua love on this forum clouded my judgment on this one a bit, because this performance is only my 4th favorite of his. I’m definitely still pretty salty about two of the three performances I preferred not making it in when in my book, they so clearly deserved to. But no, we had to advance “Decode” and “Gunpowder and Lead” instead… smh.

Kevin

Great vocals, wouldn't give it a standing o, basically (almost) every Joshua performance in a nutshell for me.

Andy

I appreciated Joshua well enough when the season aired but I felt like there were more exciting performers and artists in such a stacked group of finalists...and I still feel that way. But you can’t deny his voice is something else. This is stellar.

Crisis

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

Considered to be one of Joshua’s best performances and I believe the first of the millions of standing ovations he received. It was a great performance but one I would rank about third or fourth as far as his performances are concerned.

Steven

Excellent vocal performance from Joshua. "When A Man Loves A Woman" has been overdone on talent shows, but Joshua's rendition is one of the best. He delivered a lot of passion into his vocals here, and he earned that standing ovation.

Elliott

Why is he shouting.

JC

the irony of this performance is not lost on me, perhaps if the song was called when a man loves a man.

Sola

Nope bye.

9. Hollie Cavanagh "Rolling In The Deep"

9Zchhgk.png

10.2/20

Watch Here

@*Amanda - 1/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 2/20

@QueenKalie - 2/20

@*Diana - 2/20

@hayden98 - 3/20

@totes4totes - 4/20

@Steven_ - 4/20

@Crisis - 5/20

@goofycilla90 - 7/20

@taylorkat - 8/20

@1234567890 - 8/20

@*Wallace - 9/20

@Solaris - 10/20

@*Lily - 10/20

@jarmon - 11/20

@Elliott - 12/20

@sublymonal - 12/20

@JC - 14/20

@FrogLenzen - 14/20

@Alex95 - 15/20

@NGM - 15/20

@rdhaley96 - 18/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 18/20

@Zoey - 20/20

@#jeah - 20/20

@*Chris - 20/20

Steven

There are other Hollie performances I like better, such as "Bleeding Love," "River Deep Mountain High," "All The Man That I Need," and "The Power of Love." However, "Rolling in the Deep" is still a great performance. It was a turning point for Hollie too. She started off the competition strong, but she faltered for a couple of weeks. "Rolling in the Deep" was her comeback performance, and it was great to see her regain her confidence.

Crisis

That a cappella intro of the chorus let everyone know this was going to be something to watch. I think this was the turning point for Hollie after a few rough weeks and avoiding the B3 the week before after getting ripped for her underrated performance of Perfect. I found myself rooting for her after that and was happy she gave a performance like this and was able to make it farther in the season afterwards.

Wally

I do wonder how often it will be brought up that Hollie's “Rolling In The Deep” made the finals but Haley's version didn't? I'm still sad Haley's version missed out but really happy that Hollie's version made it as this has always been my favorite performance from Hollie. It was nice seeing this feisty and fiery side of her here. I mean, maybe she could have given a little more fire in the performance but eh she did really well here. And I do think this was the most intense power formate she's given. What I do really love about this performance was that a Capella opening. She sounded amazing and sang with a lot of power there! But she continued to deliver a great vocal throughout. I can't really think of any major standout out parts but I really love how she sang that chorus - where she would go from belting it out to transitioning to falsetto notes. I also love how she sang and power through the bridge too! I do think she connected strongly to the song and gave a great rendition here.

Lily

She held her own well on a very difficult song for the mostpart, so props to her for that.

Elliott

Really enjoyed it.

JC

i'm a huge adele fan but this is objectively probably hollie's best performance, she slayed this.

Derek

I'm mad that this is in the finals but Haley's was robbed. Anyway this is not a very original rendition

Alex

Vocally this is probably Hollie's strongest performance. Unfortunately, she didn't quite nail the right attitude for it. "Bleeding Love" gave me vocals and emotion so I'd take that over this, but this is still my second favorite Hollie performance and like I said, she did sound amazing.

Richard

When I created my initial season 11 ranking thread all the way back in 2012 (Anyone remember that? I doubt it xD), I was very hard on this performance and barely placed it inside my top 100. Since then, this performance has risen much higher in my book, but it still doesn’t quite crack my top 50 (even though it was close!).

Positives first, the acapella beginning was fantastic. She gave just the right amount of power and conviction and really sold that part of the performance. I also thought that vocally, she killed the chorus. All that said, this performance had a lot of pitch problems, mainly in the first verse but also near the end. Without those pitch issues, I’d probably have this performance a lot higher, but such is life.

Kevin

A girl with no soul covering one of the most soulful singers of today's industry? Lolno. I thought about being a b*tch and ranking her performances dead last, but I don't do petty rankings--I just stay true to my honest feelings. #edgelordfordays

Andy

Her voice just does nothing for me, I’m sorry :( Vocally she sang on key and her voice is above average so there’s that? I’m sorrie Hollie fans! 

Chris

Elise Testone did Adele better 😘 

8. Jessica Sanchez "I Will Always Love You"

gYEmlXa.png

9.12/20

Watch Here

@Solaris - 1/20

@JC - 2/20

@*Lily - 2/20

@FrogLenzen - 2/20

@*Wallace - 3/20

@1234567890 - 3/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 5/20

@jarmon - 5/20

@Zoey - 6/20

@#jeah - 6/20

@goofycilla90 - 6/20

@Alex95 - 7/20

@rdhaley96 - 8/20

@*Amanda - 8/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 9/20

@QueenKalie - 9/20

@*Diana - 10/20

@taylorkat - 12/20

@Steven_ - 13/20

@*Chris - 16/20

@totes4totes - 17/20

@Crisis - 17/20

@Elliott - 17/20

@hayden98 - 17/20

@sublymonal - 17/20

@NGM - 19/20

Sola

My favorite of the season

JC

QUEEN she slayed! absolutely PHENOMENAL! the flavor, tone, taste, just perfection. It was not overdone like most covers of this, and the pitch was PERFECT!

Lily

Jessica could have picked any Whitney song and done a good job. She goes for the biggest song and knocks it out of the park. It is a flawless moment especially for such an early stage of the competition.

Derek

not an original arrangement but flawless. I'd like to hear her sing a longer version with more unique ornamentation 

Wally

It was both a beautiful and sad moment seeing the Season 11 women honoring Whitney Houston on this show, but it was sad as she had just recently passed nearly a month before this episode aired. :broken: There was lots of buzz and speculation on who would get the BIG song in “I Will Always Love You." With Jessica being my favorite, I was hoping she would get the song. I was very happy she got the song but not only that, she absolutely nailed it and delivered such an outstanding performance here! Her vocals were absolutely beautiful and stunning here! :wub: I also thought Jessica owned the night and had the best performance of this episode! I love this performance a ton,many thank you Lily & Hayden in advancing this forward!

I loved the opening a Capella of the song. She took her time with each lyric and put so much meaning into each word she was singing. Her vocals were just out of this world there. But I love how she gradually built this song up with the first "Aaannnndddd Iiiiiiiiii." ❤️ She sang the "I will always love you" parts in such a lovely way as well. But wow after that, she got right into the bridge, which is such a big part of the song. I really love how she takes her time with the first part of the bridge of the song. And of course, all of her vocal dynamics...... are all so wonderful to listen to. And then, she absolutely nailed the big and epic part of the song with her belting out that final chorus! :omg: I can't stress it enough, but her vocal range is just so outstanding and out of this world! :omg: I love the mix of belting and softer falsetto notes she sings here! It's really all so beautiful to listen to. Jessica nailed this song and I'm sure she made Whitney proud here! ❤️

Andy

Slaughtered. Every single note was perfection

Alex

Whew, perfection! Jessica truly has one of the best voices in Idol history. I think the time constraints really hurt the performance though and I don't think she had enough time to build it up. But still. Amazing.

Richard

People definitely expected a lot from Jessica this week, especially considering the gravity of her song choice. In my book, she absolutely met those expectations, arguably even exceeding them. Every aspect of this performance from Jessica worked for me. The staging was lovely, she looked beautiful in that blue dress, everything was in place for her to deliver a magical moment, and I believe she did just that. 

The acapella beginning was a perfect choice, even if I wished she had gotten to sing the second half of the verse. The chorus was beautiful, with Jessica maintaining those lovely, velvety vocals from the verse, and as the performance went on, she brought exactly the right dynamics to the song. The key change was great, and overall, she just pulled off the song very nicely. I wouldn’t necessarily say I was blown away by the performance, but from a technical and visual perspective, Jessica did just about everything right, so I’m happy to rank it as high as I did.

Kevin

This was good, but I had developed immunity to this song by the time Jessica did it, so it ranks here.

Steven

Jessica's "I Will Always Love You" was so good that she made it look easy. Not many people can do justice to the Whitney version of this song, but Jessica rose to the occasion and delivered a standout vocal performance.

Chris

There's something about this performance that didn't connect with me. Vocally speaking, this was great but it was lacking some emotions for me - it was very predictable performance and I totally expected her to nail it the way she did. In other words, this performance is nothing special beside Jessica showing that she can sing. 

Crisis

Eh, it’s a song I’m tired of hearing and besides, I never cared for Whitney Houston’s version because I always thought she overdid this song. Jessica didn’t bring anything new or interesting to this song. I’m just meh to this performance overall.

Elliott

It was alright.

7. Phillip Phillips "Volcano"

rWjlqAr.png

9.08/20

Watch Here

@totes4totes - 1/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 2/20

@rdhaley96 - 3/20

@Crisis - 3/20

@JC - 3/20

@Elliott - 3/20

@FrogLenzen - 3/20

@Steven_ - 3/20

@sublymonal - 3/20

@#jeah - 5/20

@NGM - 5/20

@hayden98 - 7/20

@Solaris - 8/20

@Alex95 - 9/20

@*Chris - 10/20

@1234567890 - 10/20

@*Amanda - 12/20

@QueenKalie - 13/20

@*Wallace - 15/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 15/20

@Zoey - 16/20

@taylorkat - 16/20

@*Lily - 16/20

@goofycilla90 - 18/20

@*Diana - 18/20

@jarmon - 19/20

Kevin

What even WAS this performance? Even as someone who came to appreciate Phillip more over the years; even if I still hated him, this would still be on that whole other level. His best vocal by far, proved he can really sing, and the lighting/staging with the ICONIC backup singer all added up to a moment that was just magical. I will always associate Phillip with this song for the rest of forever, I don't want to hear anyone else sing it.

Richard

In 2012, I was not at all a Phillip fan. I thought he was out of his league vocally (which he definitely still was a bit) and that he did not deserve to outstay other favorites, especially since he had quite a few duds throughout the competition and was often shouty in his performances. Since then, I’ve grown to appreciate Phillip a lot more. Some performances of his that I previously disliked I now actually really like, and one of those performances even placed in my own personal top 20 (“Beggin’” at  #19).

All of this to say that despite me not quite getting Phillip back then, this was the one performance he gave that I’ve always loved, and it’s risen even higher in my rankings since then. I thought this performance was absolutely stellar. Phillip finally did what I had been waiting for him to do all season, which was to strip everything back and go super minimal. I LOVED the staging here. The cello player, backup singer, and Phillip all enshrouded in darkness, with the latter two facing different directions. I loved the choice to make the backup singer visible only during the chorus, and seeing her appear suddenly, gently swaying to the beat really added this dreamlike feeling to the performance that just captivated me.

Phillip himself did a fantastic job. While he didn’t exactly have any standout vocal moments, his husky tone here was really beautiful, and his voice blended perfectly with that of the backup singer. I really loved the instrumentation with just the guitar and cello, too, and having such a minimal backup “band” drew even more focus to Phillip.

Overall, this performance was just a gem. While Phillip’s sort of one-note performances sometimes frustrated me, getting to experience Phillip at his best here made up for them.

Crisis

PP’s previous few performances were on the rough side (Top 5 night was especially not one of his better nights to put it lightly). However, he rebounded nicely with Volcano. It wasn’t as grand or showy as the other performances that night, but it was still big enough for a moment. Granted, the background singer gets kudos for keeping him on pitch; nonetheless, it’s my favorite performance of his.

JC

STUNNING, probably my favorite phillip performance on idol.

Elliott

Iconic.

Derek

omg thank goodness, I was afraid he was all bad. When he stays in his lane it all makes more sense

Steven

This was an amazing performance from Phillip. It was a subdued performance compared to performances with more powerhouse vocals, but it was still very impressive. Phillip was connected to what he was singing and delivered something really special with "Volcano." It was a compelling performance with a cool arrangement. It's performances like this that prove that Phillip was a deserving winner of the season. 

Andy

Yes please. Shoutout to the background vocalist, their voices are so beautiful together

Sola

Damien Rice on American Idol ❤️

Alex

What else is there to stay? Phillip was completely in his zone here and he knocked it out of the park. And I'm glad we're all praising the iconic backup singer because she brought this performance to another level.

Chris

Always enjoyed this performance and still think it's a tad bit underrated - it's exactly who he is as an artist. 

Wally

Ugh, as much as I don't like to give Phillip credit, this was a really good performance and certainly one of his best. I'm sure many people actually view this as his best performance, which I can't really argue but I just prefer another from him. I didn't know this song before he sang it but it's a very good song choice that suits him well. This performance has this dark and haunting quality to it. I do like how he sings the chorus, which was very cool. Although my favorite part is that part where he sings "what I give to you, it's just what I'm going through. Is this nothing new?" and that whole part there. I really like how he sings that whole part. He also really connects with the emotion of the song. Really good moment from Phillip.

Lily

Backing vocalist elevated this for me. Had it just been him throughout I'm not quite sure if I'd be quite as big on it, but their voices blended really well.

6. Jessica Sanchez "Sweet Dreams"

WMuJEyi.png

8.8/20

Watch Here

@jarmon - 1/20

@#jeah - 4/20

@*Amanda - 4/20

@JC - 4/20

@Alex95 - 4/20

@1234567890 - 4/20

@Solaris - 5/20

@rdhaley96 - 6/20

@*Wallace - 6/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 6/20

@*Lily - 6/20

@*Chris - 7/20

@QueenKalie - 8/20

@hayden98 - 8/20

@goofycilla90 - 9/20

@Crisis - 10/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 10/20

@NGM - 11/20

@*Diana - 11/20

@taylorkat - 13/20

@Zoey - 14/20

@totes4totes - 15/20

@FrogLenzen - 15/20

@sublymonal - 15/20

@Elliott - 16/20

@Steven_ - 17/20

Andy

One of my favorite Beyonce songs, love love loooove this arrangement. Jessica’s voice is top notch here per usual and the song builds to a beautiful climax. Definitely one of my favorite performances this season.

JC

loved her version of this, her voice is stunning. Such interesting inflections, she sounds just like Beyonce, what a queen!

Alex

I am obsessed with this performance. Unpopular opinion, but it's actually my favorite Jessica performance. My biggest complaint with Jessica's biggest moments is that they just feel too short and it makes the songs feel incomplete. This one had a beginning, middle, and end. We got light moments, and we got to see Jessica belt it out with her big and beautiful voice. Just a stunning performance all around.

Sola

Amazing ❤️

Richard

If I had to use one word to describe this performance, it would be “DRAMA.” Jessica brought something really special and theatrical to Idol with this performance, and I absolutely loved every second of it. 

I’ve seen people gripe about the staging before, but for me, I don’t think this performance would have been the same without all the fog and ominous red doors. Jessica’s ensemble here was also absolutely stunning; definitely one of her best looks from the whole show, if not her best. All of those things complemented her vocal and performance beautifully.

The performance itself was incredible. I love how she started very delicately and built up the intensity as the song went on. Her vocal precision was on point; perfect pitch, beautiful vibrato, not a run out of place. And she got to the bridge and absolutely annihilated those high notes, all while amping up the theatrics and intensity even more. That high note on “part” especially was phenomenal. And then she ended the performance by walking back through the door, capping off the performance with a simple close. 

Simply put, this performance was sensational. In any other season, it’d be a shoe-in for at least my top 4 or so, but just because this season in particular was stacked doesn’t take anything away from how great Jessica was here.

Wally

I wish I could remember my initial reaction to Jessica singing this song. I'm positive and am sure I was here for her singing Beyonce, of course. She's a huge fan of Beyonce, which duh....as she sang a song of hers on Personal Idol week. I would have loved it if she sang it in the original arrangement but this softer acoustic arrangement was the much better approach and a genius move on her end! This performance was incredible, amazing and such a showstopper from Jessica! I really love the harp arrangement and how well it compliments Jessica's vocals here! She sings this song in such a mature, vulnerable way. She takes her time with each lyric and line she sings. The vocal range and dynamics she sings here is simply fantastic. I love the softer textures of her voice here. ❤️ The way she sings the chorus.... Is fantastic! I love how it starts off so soft and pretty, but then on the latter half of the chorus, she gets all gritty and raw with it! I'm referring to the "my guilty pleasure, I ain't going nowhere. Baby long as you're here, I'll be floating on air" part. That's actually my favorite part of this song on the Beyonce original, but I just really love it how Jessica sings it here! ❤️

But my favorite part of the performance is how she sings the bridge of the song:

Tattoo your name across my heart

Not even death could make us part

Flipping INCREDIBLE! :omg::dead: Dang, Jessica killed it at that part! But then again, she did with this whole performance! This is just incredible.... Thank you Richard & Andy for advancing this masterpiece into the finals. I would have cried had it gotten cut.

Kevin

Isn't this where the "BB Chez" persona came from? Lmao. I really enjoyed this, one of my favorite performances from Jessica.

Lily

Such a beautiful take and arrangement on this song, which really highlighted her vocals brilliantly. I love how it starts slightly more angelic and then starts to really build up and almost feel quite dramatic near to the end.

Chris

My favourite performance of Jessica - everything about it was perfection, and I really loved how it was not a super predictable song choice. 

Crisis

Well, BB Chez took her nickname literally with this one. :haha: This is one of the few Jessica performances I can say I liked and one I don’t mind having in the Top 20. I liked how she turned the song into a slower ballad version (I have never cared for the original; not one of my favorite Beyonce songs :ph34rwave:).

Derek

I appreciate the different arrangement but it needed to be like 2 clicks faster

Elliott

Still waiting on her to become the next Beyoncé like IDF was convinced she would be.

Steven

This was a nice performance from Jessica. She sounded great as always, but it wasn't a performance that really impressed me as much as the performances I'm ranking higher. 

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 11 - 10-6 Posted)