American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown

Alex95

2 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Now That's What I Call Growth.gif ❤️ 

JC's rankings are so easy to predict. :haha: He always puts his favorites higher up and ranks them according to contestant preference, and whoever is the biggest threats to his faves, he puts all their performances at the bottom (Tamyra, Kim Locke, Fantasia/Jennifer). :haha:  

I know idk why everyone gets upset at me, I’m not even trying to trick anyone. Yah know what to expect from me, there are no surprises, I should be everyone’s favorite kind of ranker ❤️ 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 4

Just now, 1234567890 said:

I don’t bother with deals in mini-rankdowns. :dead:

I just watch the performances the night they’re due and rank them how I feel about them in the moment. :haha: itsnotthatdeep.gif

(Until the S10 one comes around I’ll be out for blood)

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Wait, you guys are making deals?

2xscjb.png

No deals regarding the ranking.

Being paired with JC was hard - you think I would have let him advance JPL or Jasmine without a condition? :dead: 

If you're not ignoring all the other rankers and listening to performances using YouTube on your iPhone connected to the car stereo to pass the time while driving across Alligator Alley for Easter weekend and making notes in your Notes app then what are you even doing tbh

Just now, FrogLenzen said:

If you're not ignoring all the other rankers and listening to performances using YouTube on your iPhone connected to the car stereo to pass the time while driving across Alligator Alley for Easter weekend and making notes in your Notes app then what are you even doing tbh

I just look at my LiveJournal posts from 2004 where I talked about the performances.

• Haha 1

10. LaToya London "Ain't Nobody"

Q5ohSKN.png

11.4/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHcmNTuwrVg

@JC - 4/20

@taylorkat - 4/20

@sublymonal - 4/20

@*Lily - 5/20

@~Tom~ - 6/20

@NGM - 6/20

@Solaris - 7/20

@*Diana - 9/20

@Elliott - 11/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 11/20

@*Wallace - 12/20

@Alex95 - 12/20

@Crisis - 13/20

@FrogLenzen - 13/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 15/20

@*Chris - 17/20

@*Amanda - 17/20

@goofycilla90 - 18/20

@#jeah - 18/20

@1234567890 - 18/20

@Steven_ - 19/20

JC

not one of my faves from her, but she's still better than everyone else

Andrew

May be not technically LaToya’s best, but definitely my favourite performance of hers. It’s the performance where I felt just had the most personality and fire.

Lily

Set the bar for the live shows incredibly high! A perfect song for her to perform and command the stage with.

Elliott

Fun performance. :bobo:

Wally

LaToya kicked off the Soul Night episode with a very strong performance of "Ain't Nobody.” I love this classic song and LaToya certainly did justice to this song. She just makes everything she sings and performs so natural and effortless. Funny how I say that as she sings “effortlessly” in the first line of this. :giggle: But yeah I love LaToya’s voice and how she sings & performs this. I love the groove she has and how she gets down & funky with this song. :bobo: She builds this performance up nicely and delivers some big killer notes in this, and she makes it all look so easy. She showcased so much fun personality here too. I also must say she was quite hot in this too. For some reason, I tend to forget how much I love this performance until watching this, so I am glad this is here in the finals and I can recapture my love for this. :wub:

Alex

I love this performance and LaToya certainly killed it! Tbh, I'm in the minority, but I do feel like LaToya runs out of steam a bit at times, which is unusual for her. The performance is still my jam and I enjoy it a lot!

Crisis

A great performance from LaToya and a nice follow up to her breakout All By Myself showing in the semis.

Chris

The vocals that were served on this performance is everything! But that being said, it's not my personal favourite of LaToya's & not one that I find myself thinking about when I think of her Idol journey.

Andy

Idk I don’t really like the way she sounds in the verses, but I can’t tell if it’s just the melody of the song.

Steven

She did a good job, but I wasn't a fan of the song choice.

9. Fantasia Barrino "What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life?"

HfFgE76.png

11.1/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgRJImdIloo

@Elliott - 2/20

@~Tom~ - 2/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 4/20

@#jeah - 7/20

@1234567890 - 7/20

@FrogLenzen - 8/20

@*Chris - 9/20

@goofycilla90 - 9/20

@taylorkat - 10/20

@Crisis - 11/20

@JC - 13/20

@*Amanda - 13/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 13/20

@NGM - 13/20

@*Wallace - 15/20

@Solaris - 15/20

@Alex95 - 15/20

@sublymonal - 15/20

@*Lily - 16/20

@Steven_ - 17/20

@*Diana - 20/20

Elliott

Fantasia doing this song dedicated to her daughter after all the negative press she received for being a single mother on Idol. Queen sh*t. One of the most under appreciated performances on Idol, imo. It always makes me feel emotional.

Andy

I would rank this higher but I want to spread the love for my top ranked performances….this is so transcendent and I’m in love with her voice.

Chris

Like some people mentioned in the thread before, this performance is incredibly underrated. It is one of my favourite of Fantasia, and I just love the emotions that she poured into her delivery of this song.  Hoping it does well!

Crisis

I’m glad I re-watched this performance because I planned to rank this one lower. I think this is one of her most underrated Idol performances because it’s her most subdued one. As it is, it barely misses my Top 10.

Wally

This was an absolutely gorgeous performance from Fantasia. :wub: She really connected to this song so beautifully. She sang and emoted this straight from her heart….. it’s so bone chilling. :omg: I love how she tells the story of this song and slowly builds this up. One of my favorite parts from this is where she sings: 

I want to see your face in every kind of light

In fields of gold and forests of the night

And when you stand 

Before the candles on a cake

Then I also really love the part where she sings:

Through all of my life

Summer, Winter, Spring, and Fall of my life

:omg:

And then that last whistle note was divine! ❤️ Fantasia proving she can do subtle performances so beautifully! I initially had this a little lower at #17 but forgot how much I loved this so I pushed this up to #15. I wish I could have pushed it up even higher though.

Alex

While this may be far from a perfect vocal, this performance is all about the emotion and how well Fantasia connected to the song. She really moved me with the performance and it's one of her most lovely!

Andrew

I mean, to say this is Fantasia’s “worst” performance in the final vote is laughable because this is still a beautiful performance, but if you’re not a fan of Fantasia’s tone, then this is probably the performance where it’s the most apparent. 

Lily

This was definitely a sound which was so perfectly fit for Fantasia. It's not one of my top performances of hers but as always, a gorgeous vocal.

Steven

She delivered an emotional performance, but I didn't find it to be particularly memorable. The dedication to her daughter was sweet though.

8. Jennifer Hudson "I Have Nothing"

yxoMAsV.png

9.7/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKHgeagFUoU

@1234567890 - 3/20

@*Amanda - 4/20

@*Diana - 6/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 6/20

@Elliott - 7/20

@FrogLenzen - 7/20

@~Tom~ - 8/20

@*Lily - 8/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 9/20

@taylorkat - 9/20

@Steven_ - 10/20

@goofycilla90 - 10/20

@Crisis - 10/20

@#jeah - 11/20

@NGM - 11/20

@Solaris - 12/20

@*Wallace - 13/20

@Alex95 - 13/20

@sublymonal - 13/20

@*Chris - 15/20

@JC - 18/20

Elliott

Iconic.

Lily

To go from this excellent performance to then become friends with Whitney and perform tributes for her following her untimely passing..Jennifer truly one of the Idol greats.

Steven

A tough song to sing, but she delivered. This was a solid vocal.

Crisis

One of the best versions of the song on Idol and a great follow up to Circle of Life.

Andy

Okay wait, this was better than I remembered. Her voice is so powerful.

Wally

I really love Jennifer’s version of "I Have Nothing.” I’ll admit that I do prefer a few other versions of this song, but Jennifer’s is up there as…. maybe my 3rd favorite version on this show? This is a big song but it’s so perfect for her big powerful voice. I liked how it started off low and sultry on the opening verse and pre-chorus. She slowly builds it up and really powers through that chorus. And that chorus? She is  SANGING THAT SONG there! :omg:

I would say my favorite part of this performance is the middle part where she transitions from the verse to the chorus singing: 

Can't run from myself

There's nowhere to hide

Don't make me close one more door

That part is SO good! :omg:

But then I love all of the power belting she does at the end of this too. ❤️ I also often go back and forth on this or “Weekend in New England” being my 2nd favorite from Jennifer. I am still unsure which I prefer but I am glad we got at least one of those in here.

Alex

I love this performance and Jennifer really made herself a contender to win here (only to get brutally robbed the following week :broken:). My only problem ranking it higher is that it came a season after Trenyce's flawless rendition of it and I think Trenyce was better than J-Hud. Still love it though!

Andrew

Beautiful, but we’ve seen better versions on the show.

Chris

Always enjoyed Jennifer Hudsons' cover of this song, but it simply does not measure up to Trenyce or Vonzell's rendition of it. Also, can we talk that it's a joke that Gabby Barrett's performance of "I Have Nothing" have a higher score than Jennifer's version on WTNS #choices. Anyway, this performance really showcased her chops although not her best performance or vocal delivery - I would have preferred Weekend In New England in the Top 20 over this song.

7. George Huff "Take Me To The Pilot"

11Yh9yO.png

8.7/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KemCdev6MgQ

@#jeah - 3/20

@Elliott - 4/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 4/20

@Steven_ - 5/20

@NGM - 5/20

@1234567890 - 5/20

@Crisis - 6/20

@JC - 7/20

@*Wallace - 7/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 7/20

@goofycilla90 - 7/20

@sublymonal - 8/20

@*Lily - 9/20

@*Amanda - 10/20

@~Tom~ - 10/20

@Alex95 - 10/20

@*Chris - 11/20

@Solaris - 11/20

@taylorkat - 17/20

@FrogLenzen - 17/20

@*Diana - 19/20

Andy

Perfection. So much fun to watch, I mean look at how happy he is to be up there lol. That vocal run at the end, though *chefs kiss*

Elliott

George Huff was done so dirty in this game, smh. One of the most fun, upbeat and cheerful performances ever ❤️ The way people were worried George would flop on Elton John week and then he did this. ❤️ Absolutely loved this and it's my one of my all-time favourites.

Steven

This was George's best performance of the season. He was in-the-pocket and delivered a very enjoyable performance.

Crisis

I go back and forth between this and Ain’t Too Proud To Beg as far as my favorite George performance is concerned; however, I’m giving this the slight edge. It’s so fun to watch and listen to. Unfortunately, George would get sick after this and his performances suffered, but this is definitely one of his best moments.

Wally

George delivered such a great fun standout performance with “Take Me to the Pilot” on Elton John night, which I love enough to rank at #7. I am not familiar with the original version of the song but I absolutely love George’s version. I also consider this my favorite performance of his. I love George’s energy in how he performed this song and the joy & fun he brought in this performance. He just has that ability with his performing to make you smile, get up and dance. :bobo: He puts his all into this and really made it like it was his own song. I know i always mentioned his performing, but he delivered a strong vocal here too. I liked how he started the song a bit on the slower side but then loved it even more when the tempo kicked up.

Take me to the pilot

Lead me through the chamber

Take me to the pilot

I am but a stranger

Take me to the pilot

Lead me through the chamber

Take me to the pilot

I am but a stranger

Nanana nanana na na na nana nanana

This is alll sooo fun! :bobo: He brought so much happiness to this performance, and this always makes me smile!

Andrew

I honestly had a tough time picking which George performance was my favourite, but I think this one edges out ATPTB by just a tiny bit.

Lily

I had a lot of performances from George that I really enjoyed but this is probably my #1, I just think he sold this one especially well and sounded great.

Alex

Definitely my favorite George performance and deserving to be the top male performance of the season. I wish I could rank it higher but I have too many performances I love more. George still crushed it, and it's also one of my favorite Elton John songs ever. But now I think about Taron Egerton and Richard Madden having sex when I hear it thanks to Rocketman lol.

Chris

While I prefer the Divas + Diana to George, this performance was incredible!  While not my favourite of his - that title belongs to (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay - but it remains an excellent performance by George & often consider one his best. Glad two performances of his were able to make it into the Top 20. 

6. Diana DeGarmo "Don't Cry Out Loud"

Ke37084.png

7.7/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Eb1xFiac7c

@Steven_ - 1/20

@Solaris - 1/20

@*Amanda - 1/20

@goofycilla90 - 1/20

@taylorkat - 2/20

@*Chris - 4/20

@*Diana - 4/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 5/20

@*Wallace - 6/20

@FrogLenzen - 6/20

@JC - 8/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 8/20

@Alex95 - 8/20

@Crisis - 8/20

@NGM - 10/20

@#jeah - 13/20

@1234567890 - 13/20

@*Lily - 14/20

@~Tom~ - 15/20

@Elliott - 16/20

@sublymonal - 17/20

Steven

This was a show-stopping performance from Diana. She showed off her big voice and delivered a terrific vocal.

Solaris

This is high school Sola’s performance of the season

Chris

One of my favourite performance from this season - it easily my third favourite of the season; my love for the performance kinda faded over the years but I still love it so I am ranking it in this spot. And this is certainly Diana's best vocal performance of the season - she nailed every aspect of this song, and she can certainly thank Clive Davis for selecting this song for her. 

Wally

Diana’s "Don't Cry Out Loud" is often viewed as her best performance, and this always stands out to me as my favorite performance of Diana’s. I am placing this at 6th but really wish I could have pushed it up a spot higher into my Top 5 but I feel I really love my Top 5 slightly more than this, so it lands here. Clive Davis chose this for Dian a and wow, what a genius choice for her. Diana sounded gorgeous and the best she’s ever sounded, imo. She sung the verses so well but the shining moment of this s definitely the chorus.

Don't cry out loud

Just keep it inside

And learn how to hide your feelings

Fly high and proud

And if you should fall

Remember you almost had it all

I especially love how she belts out certain words in this, such as how she sings “loud,” “feelings,” “proud” and “all.” All soooo incredibly good! I also really loved her big epic long note she held and hit at the end of this. :omg: This was fantastic from Diana, and am certain this will rank high especially amongst her fans.

Alex

Such a mature performance from such a young girl. And that last note, whew! Diana's best performance by a country mile. I'm sorry to her fans this couldn't make the top five, but also not that sorry because I ranked the top five above it :giggle:.

Crisis

Diana’s signature performance. It was a song that suited her voice perfectly, and to this day I am still impressed at how long she held that note towards the end.

Andy

Probably the best performance of Diana’s, and that glory note is very impressive - but like all of her other performances, I can’t get into this TOO much because I don’t love the tone of her voice. Having said that, this is great.

Lily

Happy with this being in the top 20 as I think it's an excellent showcase of her vocals, to contrast with her other upbeat numbers which made it here.

Elliott

I've said my peace about Diana in this thread, but this was a solid performance from her. Her tone/twang was still grating at times, but the length she held that last night was legit.

Andrew

One of the two Diana performances I really liked at the time, but I don’t want her to win this so.

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 3 - 10-6 Posted)
1 minute ago, 1234567890 said:

Well considering where you ranked DCOL I think fair is fair. :giggle:

I ranked DCOL 12 spots lower than she did. WAYDTROYL and TMTTP were ranked 18 and 15 spots lower than I ranked them. 💅