The Voice's Unpopular Opinions Thread V2

istersay

My problem with Will is that he seems to focus more on his scatting and his physical stage performance than he does on his actual voice, and his vocals suffer as a result. I know from his Blind that he does have a great voice. But he doesn't seem to focus enough on it. If he did that, I would be back to the level of fandom on which I'd been sitting for his Blind.

I mean he scats only a little in each of his performance. He even did some in the blind. It’s part of his charm.

We all know the eliminated contestants had no shot at winning the show, and that sticking around for one more week won't matter for their career in the long run...but it matters to the fans right? I mean, the fans that are just in it for the music and really don't care if their favs win the show or not. Myracle being sacked when she wasn't anywhere near the bottom 2 performance wise deprives her fans of one more performance...one more studio recording. I'd like to think that's where the "outrage" stems from.

We all know the eliminated contestants had no shot at winning the show, and that sticking around for one more week won't matter for their career in the long run...but it matters to the fans right? I mean, the fans that are just in it for the music and really don't care if their favs win the show or not. Myracle being sacked when she wasn't anywhere near the bottom 2 performance wise deprives her fans of one more performance...one more studio recording. I'd like to think that's where the "outrage" stems from.

I agree

People always use the "why do people care when he or she wasn't gonna win anyway" excuse until their favorite goes home. IDF favorites Kyndal and Gracee were eliminated and that same faulty argument applies to them, but that doesn't stop people from still whining about those eliminations. Max's elimination as well. The same thing would've happened if Marybeth went home tonight for example. Watch if Hello Sunday outlast some favorite, this board will be in shambles. All I'm saying is keep the same energy for all eliminations, popular contestants and not so popular contestants.

What would be the point in watching if people aren't invested.

About the above discussion re eliminations, there are 2 different considerations.

- Will it make a difference to the contestant career-wise? Nope. Absolutely not. The show lost whatever clout it had in the music industry many, many seasons ago. Today, the industry says thanks but no thanks.

- Will it make a difference to the fans? Hell yeah. They get another performance, another studio. Fans get invested in their snowflakes. When they're gone, it's a loss.

In a lot of cases, the outrage is manufactured, because that’s what we’ve been conditioned to do. I read in another thread about a Twitter surge of outrage. Did those people vote for Myracle, or did they just decide they were outraged because Shane is still there? She’s clearly not a popular contestant, for whatever reason. As for “another studio”....if she releases a song in 6 months, how may of the “outraged” will download or stream it? Probably very few, if any! Most of them will have forgotten about her by next week.

Edited by TeamAudra

In a lot of cases, the outrage is manufactured, because that's what we've been conditioned to do. I read in another thread about a Twitter surge of outrage. Did those people vote for Myracle, or did they just decide they were outraged because Shane is still there? She's clearly not a popular contestant, for whatever reason. As for "another studio"....if she releases a song in 6 months, how may of the "outraged" will download or stream it? Probably very few, if any! Most of them will have forgotten about her by next week.
Talking about season timeframe only. It's clear most fans will have moved on when the next season starts. That doesn't make their loss less valid in real time.

As for last night's elim, Shane maybe had his best performance to date lol, which isn't saying much, but that didn't help Myracle who didn't manage to attract voters.

Were some people thinking it would be fun to help Shane stick around? I'm guessing: probably. The show is old and has been pissing off enough viewers over the years for something like that to happen sooner or later. Plus the show is now "competing" with Idol, and there's been bad blood between some of the fans of both shows.

We'll see next week if an IDF fav gets eliminated in favor of Shane/Will. Not including HS bc they have too many things going for them when it comes to attracting the demo's votes and should be OK. They don't bother me tbqhr.

I think we’re going to have to agree to disagree on some things. My point is most of the people complaining probably don’t actually care that much when it comes down to it. That’s what I mean by manufactured. I’m not talking about the superfans. I’m not sure Myracle had many of those.

Edited by TeamAudra

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on some things. My point is most of the people complaining probably don't actually care that much when it comes down to it. That's what I mean by manufactured. I'm not talking about the superfans. I'm not sure Myracle had many of those.
I don't think she was #1 for many here, but in the top 3 for quite a few posters judging from previous comments.

I don't think she was #1 for many here, but in the top 3 for quite a few posters judging from previous comments.

In last week’s poll, one person chose her as their favorite in the actual poll. I have no idea who that is, but hopefully they’ll continue to support her career in the future. Two others had her as their third favorite. Most had her mid to low ranked. Again, that’s not what I’m talking about. If her true fans are upset, that’s understandable. It’s people coming out of the woodwork to outrage over a contestant they probably didn’t vote for in the first place.

https://idolforums.com/index.php?showtopic=740978

Edited by TeamAudra

About the above discussion re eliminations, there are 2 different considerations.

- Will it make a difference to the contestant career-wise? Nope. Absolutely not. The show lost whatever clout it had in the music industry many, many seasons ago. Today, the industry says thanks but no thanks.

- Will it make a difference to the fans? Hell yeah. They get another performance, another studio. Fans get invested in their snowflakes. When they're gone, it's a loss.

I agree with everything you've said in this thread. To your first point, I think I realized that this show would NEVER produce a star on its own back in Season 7. I was 100% POSITIVE that Craig Wayne Boyd would be the first successful breakout star after he won; he had the aesthetic, the voice, and his entire season had been crazy successful at charting on the Billboard Hot 100. But then he faded into obscurity. That was the last straw. They literally had a superstar right in their hands, and didn't do squat with him. (Arguably same with Matt McAndrew and Chris Jamison, even though they didn't win.) When the exact same thing happened with Sawyer Fredericks, and then Jordan Smith, and then Alisan and Sundance and finally Chris Blue, I was pretty sold. This show is not in the business of making stars. (Arguably, neither is the new iteration of Idol because they haven't done anything timely with Maddie or Laine. I think there's an argument to make that TV talent shows just flat-out don't produce stars anymore like they used to. It's been a LONG time since we last had a real one on any of these shows, and most of them, like Fifth Harmony and One Direction, are manufactured by someone who already has a massive wall of power and influence behind them, like Simon Cowell, and then splinter pretty rapidly anyway. People who find any success after these shows tend to do so IN SPITE of the shows or REGARDLESS of the shows, not because of them - like RaeLynn, Melanie Martinez, Morgan Wallen, Morgan Frazier, Hannah Mrozak, Gabby Barrett, etc.)

I agree to an extent with TeamAudra, but not fully. I can explain my perspective as a Myracle fan.

Myracle was in my top 3 this season, but she clearly didn't register on others' radars. While Shane is my second least favorite performer left (behind Kat Hammock), I don't hate Shane at all, and I do think some people take it too far by using words like "hate" and "talentless." Shane is a very talented singer; he just really struggles live, and I think most of that can be blamed on his low confidence. But it does translate into weak performances that I find hard to watch.

As I said above, I don't watch these shows thinking that anyone is going to be successful, and I don't think someone's chances of success outside of the show are magnified for how long they last. In fact, I think that some people are even negatively affected by having long runs on these shows instead of disappearing quickly. But it's more about being able to hear them on TV for one more week. It's more about the entertainment factor and feeling invested in a contestant's journey on the show, and it's always sad when that journey ends, especially if it feels like it ends prematurely or unfairly when one singer seemingly performs better than others, but just doesn't have the popularity or fit into what the viewing demographics tend to be attracted to. I wouldn't call the social media outrage "manufactured." I think it's just a bunch of people who feel powerless to affect the results, and they're lashing out in ways that can be unproductive and hurtful, but they're genuinely frustrated. Maybe the majority will forget about it in a week, since that's just the nature of reality TV, but it doesn't make their feelings now any less valid.

I don't know, I hope I explained myself well. Hopefully someone found something in that wall of text that made some sense. :haha:

Assuming TPTB has a goal of having each coach represented in the finale, that likely means a bus is coming for Marybeth, either next week, or in the bloodbath. Same can be said about either Ricky or Kat, depending on which one of them is in the lead. They seem to be trying to prop up Ricky, so that likely means Kat will be bussed if necessary. I doubt Hello Sunday is in a position to compete for a finale spot, but if they are, they’ll get run over too. They’ll try to get Rose to the middle 3, for a chance to sing her way in.

I doubt will see all 4 coaches in the finale. I am betting on Team Gwen missing out. Either Blake or John will get 2 in I think.

Why is everyone always so sure that it'll be Gwen? With the bad choices she's made this season, it could easily be Kelly.

Do producers really care about anything else in the finale as long as their TCO is in there? Yes TPTB manipulates to try and get the winner they want, but do they really care how many of the other contestants are which teams coach or if they’re is an uneven/even # of coach representation?

Do producers really care about anything else in the finale as long as their TCO is in there? Yes TPTB manipulates to try and get the winner they want, but do they really care how many of the other contestants are which teams coach or if they’re is an uneven/even # of coach representation?

Yes.

I think they prefer it sure. But it doesn't happen all that frequently.

I mean they will try to get all coaches represented if they have a frontrunner on each of their teams I assume.

Season 10 was the only successful shot in which they got Laith for Adam since all the other coaches got their frontrunners in.

Season 13 TPTB tried as well with Noah for Jennifer, but him not tweeting himself/wanting out and team minivan rushing to make twitter accounts to save the last generic country artist, unfortunately lost him the spot in the finale.

I mean they will try to get all coaches represented if they have a frontrunner on each of their teams I assume.

Season 10 was the only successful shot in which they got Laith for Adam since all the other coaches got their frontrunners in.

Season 13 TPTB tried as well with Noah for Jennifer, but him not tweeting himself/wanting out and team minivan rushing to make twitter accounts to save the last generic country artist, unfortunately lost him the spot in the finale.

It should be noted that season fifteen was probably another season in which they wanted all four coaches represented. I'm pretty sure that they wanted Kirk for Blake, Kennedy for Jennifer, Chevel for Kelly, and almost certainly Reagan for Adam. But then, the big controversy happened, and Adam pretty much sank Reagan's finale chances, so I suspect that TPTB just wanted to get a second person in for Jennifer in the form of MaKenzie (since she was very popular, as well). Unfortunately, I don't think they saw it coming that Chris would turn out to have the stealth fanbase that he did. (I don't think that even Chris himself saw it coming!)

Edited by Rodney

I agree with everything you've said in this thread. To your first point, I think I realized that this show would NEVER produce a star on its own back in Season 7. I was 100% POSITIVE that Craig Wayne Boyd would be the first successful breakout star after he won; he had the aesthetic, the voice, and his entire season had been crazy successful at charting on the Billboard Hot 100. But then he faded into obscurity. That was the last straw. They literally had a superstar right in their hands, and didn't do squat with him. (Arguably same with Matt McAndrew and Chris Jamison, even though they didn't win.) When the exact same thing happened with Sawyer Fredericks, and then Jordan Smith, and then Alisan and Sundance and finally Chris Blue, I was pretty sold. This show is not in the business of making stars. (Arguably, neither is the new iteration of Idol because they haven't done anything timely with Maddie or Laine. I think there's an argument to make that TV talent shows just flat-out don't produce stars anymore like they used to. It's been a LONG time since we last had a real one on any of these shows, and most of them, like Fifth Harmony and One Direction, are manufactured by someone who already has a massive wall of power and influence behind them, like Simon Cowell, and then splinter pretty rapidly anyway. People who find any success after these shows tend to do so IN SPITE of the shows or REGARDLESS of the shows, not because of them - like RaeLynn, Melanie Martinez, Morgan Wallen, Morgan Frazier, Hannah Mrozak, Gabby Barrett, etc.)

I agree to an extent with TeamAudra, but not fully. I can explain my perspective as a Myracle fan.

Myracle was in my top 3 this season, but she clearly didn't register on others' radars. While Shane is my second least favorite performer left (behind Kat Hammock), I don't hate Shane at all, and I do think some people take it too far by using words like "hate" and "talentless." Shane is a very talented singer; he just really struggles live, and I think most of that can be blamed on his low confidence. But it does translate into weak performances that I find hard to watch.

As I said above, I don't watch these shows thinking that anyone is going to be successful, and I don't think someone's chances of success outside of the show are magnified for how long they last. In fact, I think that some people are even negatively affected by having long runs on these shows instead of disappearing quickly. But it's more about being able to hear them on TV for one more week. It's more about the entertainment factor and feeling invested in a contestant's journey on the show, and it's always sad when that journey ends, especially if it feels like it ends prematurely or unfairly when one singer seemingly performs better than others, but just doesn't have the popularity or fit into what the viewing demographics tend to be attracted to. I wouldn't call the social media outrage "manufactured." I think it's just a bunch of people who feel powerless to affect the results, and they're lashing out in ways that can be unproductive and hurtful, but they're genuinely frustrated. Maybe the majority will forget about it in a week, since that's just the nature of reality TV, but it doesn't make their feelings now any less valid.

I don't know, I hope I explained myself well. Hopefully someone found something in that wall of text that made some sense. :haha:

Bravo :thumbsup::clap:

This was so very well said

I too agree with everything you said. :thumbs:

The point you made about contestants who've outstayed their welcome: I agree it's a negative and they'd be better off leaving early. All it does is foment animosity from other fanbases and viewers in general, and often turns them into an object of ridicule.

Sucks for them, but probably something the producers don't mind encouraging bc strong negative reactions are better than indifference, and create buzz just the same. No such thing as bad publicity and all that.

Not really sure how “unpop” (or not) it is, but... Marybeth is free falling. She’s been pretty underwhelming since the lives started. I keep expecting a moment from her, but every performance of hers is just so “just there”. John isn’t really helping either. I thought she was some kind of pop-ish country leaning artist, but her journey with John doesn’t sign at that direction at all. IDK, I guess I was just expecting something very different from her and it’s probably on me anyways.