The Voice's Unpopular Opinions Thread V2

istersay

I haven't been following Rose' s performances very closely but its interesting that so many here love her. In previous seasons, most people here called Kyla and Kymberli screamers. Both seem superior to Rose in ability but similar style wise yet Rose is the most loved

It's not like everybody was rooting for her from the start. At this given stage, there's not much to choose from here; the rest of contestants are either boring or polarizing. :yawn:

Rose has enough charisma to differentiate herself from her previous iterations though.

I haven't been following Rose' s performances very closely but its interesting that so many here love her. In previous seasons, most people here called Kyla and Kymberli screamers. Both seem superior to Rose in ability but similar style wise yet Rose is the most loved

Rose is way more interesting tbh. In the last two weeks, she has done a rock song and a country song. She actually seems to take risk and does the unexpected. God's Country garnered the reaction it did because not only was it good, but it was a song choice no one would have ever thought she would do. Also, Rose has incredible control over her voice. I've noticed people haven't labeled her a screamer and that is because they can't. She is never over the top with her stylistic choices. If anything, Rose shows a lot of restraint. So style wise, Rose is probably the best out of the three for me. Kyla is probably the best out of the three on sheer ability. Kymberli is probably better as well but ability doesn't matter if you can't evoke emotion. I feel it when Rose sings. The build up in her knockout performance of "Big White Room" still gives me chills. Nonetheless, all three were liked on here from what I recall. Sometimes it just depends on the season. Those seasons had Brynn, Kennedy, Mackenzie etc. who all were more or just as liked on here. So it split the attention. This season has...Katie who is way more polarizing. So it looks like Rose is more liked in comparison. I also suspect people don't call Rose a screamer because Katie is here to fulfill the "she screams all the time" role. I've noticed that Rose wins the "who is your favorite" and "best of the night" polls but she doesn't seem to have a vocal fanbase on here. I suspect she is the default favorite for a lot of people on here.

Edited by joe14

Rose is distinctly different. Compare her performances to the other divas and you can easily hear that she does not default to excessive runs and/or adlibs nearly as much as the others. Even with this, she picks a moment in the song to show that she does have vocal chops.

Because there is more louder superior screamer this season, if that screamer didn't exist in this season, Rose would probably get that title instead.

Katie's voice can be a lot, but it is not even her voice that bothers me. She is one of the better ones alongside Ricky and Rose. It's the faces she makes. She just looks ridiculous and it takes away from the performance. She even does it with slow ballads like "Always Remember this way" and "Without You." I really don't feel anything cause her face and emotions never match the lyrics of the songs she sings. It's very theatrical with her.

Katie's voice can be a lot, but it is not even her voice that bothers me. She is one of the better ones alongside Ricky and Rose. It's the faces she makes. She just looks ridiculous and it takes away from the performance. She even does it with slow ballads like "Always Remember this way" and "Without You." I really don't feel anything cause her face and emotions never match the lyrics of the songs she sings. It's very theatrical with her.

she would be great on Broadway

I just rewatched Katie, Rose, and Ricky.

I can’t stand Katie’s song, but I still think she’s the better, more unique performer of the 3. It’s not my preferred style, but I understand why the casuals are voting for her.

I still think she’s the favorite to win it all.

I just rewatched Katie, Rose, and Ricky.

I can’t stand Katie’s song, but I still think she’s the better, more unique performer of the 3. It’s not my preferred style, but I understand why the casuals are voting for her.

I still think she’s the favorite to win it all.

I’m not a casual and I’m voting for her like CRAZY!!!

Hopefully enough of the country does too!! She is different and total exciting. She rocked my house and we couldn’t get enough. That’s what makes a winner! Anything short of that is good, but to be spectacular, you have rock it like this Phenom!! I’m glad you at least see what many of us ADORE! I hope it’s enough after getting opener!

I’m not a casual and I’m voting for her like CRAZY!!!

Hopefully enough of the country does too!! She is different and total exciting. She rocked my house and we couldn’t get enough. That’s what makes a winner! Anything short of that is good, but to be spectacular, you have rock it like this Phenom!! I’m glad you at least see what many of us ADORE! I hope it’s enough after getting opener!

She’s crushing all over social media, so I doubt you have anything to worry about. They probably put her first because it didn’t matter. That opened up the opportunity to put Rose and Jake at the end. They probably needed it more. TPTB may not always get what they want, but they know what they’re doing.

Edited by TeamAudra

She’s crushing all over social media, so I doubt you have anything to worry about. They probably put her first because it didn’t matter. That opened up the opportunity to put Rose and Jake at the end. They probably needed it more. TPTB may not always get what they want, but they know what they’re doing.

Considering the amount of times that Jake has won the iTunes streaming bonus, I really don't think he "needed it." He already has a very sizable fan base, and as a country male on this season, he has zero direct competition left. (Plus, he isn't a bad performer or singer at all, not like Gyth Rigdon was, for instance.) I've felt that he was going to win for a while.

I think it was appropriate to allow Jake to sing last because out of the 3 (Jake, Katie, Rose), he was the only one who hadn't closed a show yet.

I think it was appropriate to allow Jake to sing last because out of the 3 (Jake, Katie, Rose), he was the only one who hadn't closed a show yet.

Katie hasn't, either. Of those three, only Rose has. Ricky and Will have, too. But not Jake or Katie.

Okay, as someone who has absolutely adored all 3 (but especially Kyla, who is among my all-time top 5), I feel like I can speak to why that is.

All 3 of those singers are technically precise, on-pitch all the time, powerful, and have consistently delivered extremely nuanced and dynamic performances. I was always extremely annoyed when people called Kyla and Kymberli screamers, but especially Kyla. No one can listen to "Let It Be" and honestly say that she screamed and didn't employ some of the best vocal control this show has ever seen.

There's this phenomenon on reality singing shows where black women are always accused of "screaming" because people don't like their vocal stylings, and it's extremely annoying because it simplifies and dismisses what they're really doing with their voices. Black women who tend to use a lot of runs are also accused of "screaming," and it's fine and a valid opinion if runs aren't your thing, but runs aren't automatically "screaming." They're a technique that requires precision.

However, what Rose does that Kyla and Kymberli didn't is that she sings songs that generate cross-cultural appeal. She doesn't sing traditionally black songs, gospel, or convert well-known rock songs into styles that appeal to traditionally black audiences. She has done rock, country, and pop songs with straightforward arrangements that are very loyal to the originals. And she tends to avoid runs. That's a choice that makes her far less divisive and alienating to viewers who don't like runs. It also helps that she hasn't had a single weak performance on a season where everyone else has.

Also, on this season, Katie is undeniably "the screamer" and no one can honestly accuse Rose of being the same. It's funny that viewers like what Katie does and refrain from calling it "screaming" when oftentimes, Katie resorts to screaming more than any other singer on this show has. But that's not important, I guess :ph34r:

Katie hasn't, either. Of those three, only Rose has. Ricky and Will have, too. But not Jake or Katie.

Yes, Katie has closed. She closed the Live Playoffs. It isn't a traditional live show, but it still counts.

Agree 100%. She's just too much basically all the time.

Jmo.

Okay, as someone who has absolutely adored all 3 (but especially Kyla, who is among my all-time top 5), I feel like I can speak to why that is.

All 3 of those singers are technically precise, on-pitch all the time, powerful, and have consistently delivered extremely nuanced and dynamic performances. I was always extremely annoyed when people called Kyla and Kymberli screamers, but especially Kyla. No one can listen to "Let It Be" and honestly say that she screamed and didn't employ some of the best vocal control this show has ever seen.

There's this phenomenon on reality singing shows where black women are always accused of "screaming" because people don't like their vocal stylings, and it's extremely annoying because it simplifies and dismisses what they're really doing with their voices. Black women who tend to use a lot of runs are also accused of "screaming," and it's fine and a valid opinion if runs aren't your thing, but runs aren't automatically "screaming." They're a technique that requires precision.

However, what Rose does that Kyla and Kymberli didn't is that she sings songs that generate cross-cultural appeal. She doesn't sing traditionally black songs, gospel, or convert well-known rock songs into styles that appeal to traditionally black audiences. She has done rock, country, and pop songs with straightforward arrangements that are very loyal to the originals. And she tends to avoid runs. That's a choice that makes her far less divisive and alienating to viewers who don't like runs. It also helps that she hasn't had a single weak performance on a season where everyone else has.

Also, on this season, Katie is undeniably "the screamer" and no one can honestly accuse Rose of being the same. It's funny that viewers like what Katie does and refrain from calling it "screaming" when oftentimes, Katie resorts to screaming more than any other singer on this show has. But that's not important, I guess :ph34r:

Nailed it.

Considering the amount of times that Jake has won the iTunes streaming bonus, I really don't think he "needed it." He already has a very sizable fan base, and as a country male on this season, he has zero direct competition left. (Plus, he isn't a bad performer or singer at all, not like Gyth Rigdon was, for instance.) I've felt that he was going to win for a while.

“Needed it” more than Katie. They have a history of giving the bloodbath pimp spot to the one who needs it the most. And I doubt they would have put John’s only shot at the finale 1st in the order if they felt she was in danger.

Have you seen how hard he works his people on all social media platforms to stream? He has what 99% of other Voice contestants have been unable to figure out....a consistent marketing strategy. My point is his streaming could have overstated his votes because of how effective he is at rallying a relatively small group of fans to stream. I think he took a giant step forward this week, by choosing a song that sounds country enough, but also has cross-over appeal. He very well could be winning at the moment.

Edited by TeamAudra

I highly doubt Jake needed the pimp spot. It's very obvious they are saving it for Katie next week. They just couldn't give it to her two weeks in the row.

You may be right, but we also highly doubted that Britton needed it. And 1/2 of IDF thought Kirk was a slam dunk winner. Maybe he needed it too.

You may be right, but we also highly doubted that Britton needed it. And 1/2 of IDF thought Kirk was a slam dunk winner. Maybe he needed it too.

Yeah Jake is by no means a slam dunk. Katie has been up there with him the entire comeptition. They have never really struck me as pushing Jake. Even with everything, I still think they would want Katie over Jake. She has been pushed from the start. I just think they are trying to not make it obvious.

Edited by joe14

I love Katie-=I love her even more that she kinda looks like a drag queen in her on stage get up :haha:

I think she can have a great career on Broadway but I do think she needs to show some more subtlety in her performances. If she makes the final four i think she needs to show different textures in her voice like head voice.

I wonder if she would've chosen KElly if she wasnt blocked. I think Kelly would have been the best for her because Kelly has a huge voice but uses it strategically and also has a beautiful head voice. That could've rubbed off on Katie

Now that John's coaching without a safety net, we're finally getting a glimpse of his poor coaching abilities. Those song choices last night said it all. :|

Agreed, he doesn't deserve the finale with his tragic decisions. Rose should win because it looks like Marybeth has the worst coach.

Although I still voted for Marybeth along with Rose.

Edited by QueenMae16

Agreed, he doesn't deserve the finale with his tragic decisions. Rose should won because it looks like Marybeth has the worst coach.

Although I still voted for Marybeth along with Rose.

3 tragic song choices from the same coach FOR THE SEMIS has gotta be a record lol.