@*Chris - 20/20

@goofycilla90 - 20/20

@*Diana - 20/20

@taylorkat - 20/20

@*Wallace - 20/20

@1234567890 - 20/20

@*Amanda - 20/20

Solaris

iconic performance, personality, semifinalist.  She will prob get last place, but her getting to the Top 20 is a win.  The haters can suck it!

Zoey

Who would’ve thought it?

JC

LOL this was good enough for #7. :giggle:

Alex

Tatiana is brilliant. She is peak AI Trainwreck material. She's so fun and she was nice enough to f*ck off before outlasting anyone we care about. We stan! Y'know what, the performance isn't half bad either! She's got some talent there! She should've gone into acting or something lol.

Derek

she has a nice tone but she also sounds like she just ran a marathon and needs a nap

Hayden

So, I am expecting Tatiana to rank last, but I lowkey quite liked this performance so I’m giving it a mini-boost. I wonder what Tatiana is up to nowadays.

Kevin

Ah Tati Del Taco, congrats for breaking the glass ceiling for semifinalists and making the final vote! She was hilarious and seeing as how I think this season had one of the worst casts, I wouldn't have minded if she actually did make the finals. A Sanjaya-like movement would've made the season far more entertaining.

Richard

Surprisingly, this one isn’t at the bottom for me! I actually thought Tatiana’s tone here was lovely, and there were a few notes she hit that I thought were right on the money. Her presentation was fine, although interestingly enough, I thought she was a bit blank and mechanical; I would’ve liked to see her be more passionate and emotive. As a whole, this was a solid performance, but it wasn’t anything outstanding, obviously.

Steven

Tatiana was treated as a joke with the edit, but she's not a bad singer. Although she did have some good moments here, it was an uneven performance and ranks low for me.

Lily

This is a fine vocal I suppose which felt like it was sung with little emotion, although it went a little off the rails near the end. You can't mess with a Whitney song too much and you also can't sing it while giving such little performance. It was giving me 'high school production audition piece' instead of 'AI semi-finals'.

Chris

I know a lot of people were complaining about Megan included in the Top 20 but I think it's a shame that this performance is the first semi-finalist performance to make it to the end especially when there's some better performances especially this season with Felicia's "No One".

Wally

Sola got us all shook by being able and getting Steven to agree to advance this Tatiana performance. Wow his power. :dead: I will admit I am salty that Tatiana Del Toro is the first semi-finalist to make the finals here. There were many more deserving semi-finalists that should have made the finals here instead. But well done to Sola on getting what he wanted and getting Steven to agree with it. :haha: But cutting Syesha’s version of this song (which was a fair cut  btw - not mad at that) but advancing this to the finals…. is interesting. 🙂

I do like and think this was a good performance but not a Top 20 performance imo. It’s also one of the weak links of this Top 20 so I can’t rank it any higher than this. Actually the opening lower notes…. aren’t really that good or strong? It was a boring lackluster start. But she built this up well on the chorus and bridge sections of the song. Those parts were pretty good. If you ignore the interesting OTT personality she has…. she can certainly sing. But yeah i agree with the judges this performance was all over the place - some not so good but some very good moments there. It was good but far away from one of the standout Whitney covers on this show. Oh and the fact that Tatiana reprise this song for her Wildcard performance and gave a weaker version of it will always crack me up. :dead: I initially had this at #19 but the inconsistency of this performance made me rank this lower. Sorry Sola. :(

19. Megan Joy "Put Your Records On"

N0SiDxG.png

14.6/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmLHwC_Ix9I

@*Chris - 3/20

@goofycilla90 - 4/20

@*Diana - 4/20

@JC - 9/20

@1234567890 - 11/20

@Zoey - 12/20

@hayden98 - 13/20

@taylorkat - 17/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 17/20

@totes4totes - 18/20

@FrogLenzen - 18/20

@Steven_ - 18/20

@*Amanda - 18/20

@NGM - 19/20

@Alex95 - 19/20

@Solaris - 19/20

@*Wallace - 19/20

@*Lily - 20/20

@rdhaley96 - 20/20

Chris

I might have been more willing to rank this lower but since some people were complaining about it being included then might as well rank it high on my ranking - I absolutely love Megan and I always thought she never got the appreciaiton she deserved; I will say it over and over but she was truly over her time & she walked so contestants like Joey could run, in my opinion. While I wish "Walking After Midnight" or "Black Horse and The Cherry Tree" would have been here over this one, I still like this performance especially the quirkiness of it.

JC

LOL I legit cannot :rofl: Good enough for #9!

Zoey

This was absolute trash.

Hayden

Megan is such an interesting contestant. I feel like she was before her time – she’d be right at home if she’d auditioned three to five years after season 8. She’s also very raw – I don’t think she had ever taken vocal lessons – and it showed at times, but this was a really infectious performance! I felt her whimsy and I’m glad that this performance allowed her a second chance!

Kevin

I like Megan well enough, but this was just ok in my books. If she had a performance in the final vote, I would've preferred "Walkin' After Midnight."

Derek

wow I remembered her as waaaay way better than this. She became enjoyable later when she sang more upbeat songs and gave fewer f*cks. This is a hot ass wrong mess. Fergie singing the national anthem. Ryan Starr levels. Caw caw deserves to be here over this lol.

Steven

Megan did a good job here. Her voice is an acquired taste though. I'm not a huge fan of her style, so that's why her performance ranks low for me here.

Alex

This performance is very bad and probably the second worst performance to make the endgame behind Ryan Starr's.

Solaris

If she was going to be represented it should have been Rockin Robin.

Wally

Well done to Diana (& Gigi too) on getting Megan Joy here into the Top 20 here. I like Megan well enough’ish but she’s not anyone that I would consider amongst my faves nor would any of her performances be in my Top 20. But I respect we all have different opinions. I do like “Put Your Records On” but think this was my 2nd favorite performance of hers - I like “Walking After Midnight” more so would have probably prefer that to represent Megan but eh not crying about it. :haha: This was a cute fun and quirky performance from her. She has that weird and quirky stage presence and….. her dancing there is interesting. But she’s doing her thing and having fun with this…. so that’s cool. :haha:

I do kinda love the part where she belts out Girl, put your records on towards the end of the performance. I also like how she ends this with the softer high notes where she sings: You're gonna find yourself somewhere, somehow. Cute ending there. I can get how Simon felt she got shouty and over-sang it at the end but I did still like it.

Lily

Honestly the first time I listened to this after it got advanced I let out a laugh. I thought it was a pretty tragic performance and that's coming from someone who usually comments on most of the performances like 'I'm ranking this at #20 but it was still cute and fun!'. Idk maybe my loss of taste symptom is starting to kick in because I don't hate this as much as I did the first time. Look I'm sure Megan is a lovely girl. I like that she had a style and sound about her. But I found this to be just painfully average and not a top 20 performance.

Richard

Megan’s singing here wasn’t that bad, and I did like the song choice for her, but this was just an awkward performance. This could have been a lot better if she reined it in a bit and tried to present herself in a more composed way, but the visuals were weird. Definitely not a top 20-worthy performance for me.

18. Danny Gokey "Come Rain Or Come Shine"

g1HEtP7.png

14.4/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc1EcfSHmeE

@goofycilla90 - 1/20

@Zoey - 1/20

@1234567890 - 4/20

@rdhaley96 - 10/20

@Solaris - 11/20

@JC - 12/20

@*Wallace - 13/20

@*Chris - 14/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 16/20

@FrogLenzen - 17/20

@taylorkat - 18/20

@*Lily - 18/20

@*Diana - 19/20

@*Amanda - 19/20

@NGM - 20/20

@Alex95 - 20/20

@totes4totes - 20/20

@Steven_ - 20/20

@hayden98 - 20/20

Zoey

Fantastic performance from Danny. One of his finest from his time on the show. It’s a shame there’s so many haters who just wanted his performances gone.

Richard

Yeah… I wasn’t expecting to be advancing Danny into the top 20, either. But even though I’m not a fan of him as a person, I thought this was his one great performance from the show and that it deserved to make it in. 

The first 2/3rds of this performance were solid, if a bit unspectacular. But he really brought it home in the last third with tons of energy and power. He definitely captured the spirit of the song near the end, and honestly, I thought he kind of slayed it. Overall, I really liked this one! I don’t expect it to place above like #19 at best, but I think if people looked past their hate for Danny, they probably would see this performance in more of a light that I think it deserves.

JC

Alright, who put through a performance by this guy? He was my actual least favorite on the season. I found him so overrated and just could not deal with him. I hate him less now because he is just irrelevant. I do have to say his voice is not bad. I just found him, his story, and his vibe to be a bit preachy and self-righteous. I am just not a fan of the person, but his singing is not terrible.

Wally

Oooofff… it’s crazy to see how Danny Gokey is one of the most polarizing contestants on here. He is someone I do like (but not a stan of) and feel is kinda underrated and not treated harshly on here….. and I don’t reallly get it? I was hoping he would get a performance in the finals as I believe he deserves that and i am so glad it was this one. "Come Rain Or Come Shine" is one of Danny’s best performances and I honestly love his take on this song. I would say this was my favorite performance of Danny’s so yay for this making it here. 

I do feel like this song and genre suited Danny really well. He showcases such a rich and soulful quality to his voice while singing this. The opening part is really good. But I do love it where he sings the next part of the song where he sings:

I guess when you met me, it was just one of those things

But don't you ever bet me, 'cause I'm gonna be true if you let me

Reallly good! I do love how he takes his time with each lyric and line there. I do really like/love how he sings the next part of the song:

You're gonna love me like nobody's loved me

Come rain or come shine

Happy together or unhappy together

And wouldn’t it be just fine?

😮

He really does deliver some great and powerful ad-libs and runs as the performance progress. And wow he got really into it but it was alll great to see! I love how he sings the last part of the song:

The days may be cloudy or sunny

You’re in or out of the money

I'm with you always

Come rain or shine

Yeaahhhh

Rain or Shine

Danny was sangng it there! I am hoping that my #13 ranking his enough to keep Danny out of last place. I know he’s going to get a lot  of #20 rankings coming but fingers crossed this doesn’t land there.

Chris

I would have preferred another performance of his in the Top 20 but glad he is represented despite not being a fan of his. 

Kevin

One of the most overrated/mediocre white bread contestants to ever be on the show. This was one of his best I suppose but who cares?

Derek

If Katharine McPhee couldn't make this song work then how is Danny supposed to? Bye. This is not a singing competition song. It barely has a melody. Bye again. Hey at least this inspired me to watch Dream On again so I could have a nice hearty laugh and feel better

Lily

Damn I ALMOST forgot about him on this season until I saw this next on my list to rank! It's definitely a good performance for his standards, but it still leaves me not really feeling anything if I'm honest.

Alex

I look forward to the day I finally descend into hell and meet Danny there so I can punch him in the face.

Steven

Yeah, I'm not going to re-watch a Danny Gokey performance. Sorry, but I wasn't a fan of Danny at all.

Hayden

If I’m being totally honest, I was left kind of bored with this performance until the last 20 seconds. I would’ve much preferred WHTM for Danny’s top performance. This was fine, but I just don’t really care for this.

17. Kris Allen "Man In The Mirror"

RletJE9.png

12.6/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6KGPav4UmU

@Steven_ - 5/20

@JC - 5/20

@taylorkat - 6/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 7/20

@*Chris - 9/20

@goofycilla90 - 12/20

@Solaris - 12/20

@hayden98 - 12/20

@NGM - 14/20

@*Amanda - 14/20

@Alex95 - 15/20

@totes4totes - 15/20

@1234567890 - 15/20

@FrogLenzen - 16/20

@*Diana - 16/20

@*Lily - 16/20

@Zoey - 16/20

@rdhaley96 - 17/20

@*Wallace - 18/20

Steven

I didn't have a favorite contestant going into the live rounds of Season 8, but I really enjoyed Kris' "Man In The Mirror." I liked his voice, and he delivered a strong and confident performance. I wasn't sure if he'd get the votes, but I was hoping he would maybe have a chance since presumed favorite to advance Matt Giraud didn't do well with "Viva La Vida." So I was pleasantly surprised when Kris did make it through, and I rooted for Kris for the rest of the season.

JC

I loved this early performance from Kris, obviously he is cute, but I also fell in love with his voice. He slayed this like he slayed all his performances. He truly won me over early on, and every single performance of his just made me love him more and more. This gives me so much nostalgia because it started his underdog journey to becoming the AI champ! :kickawesome:

Kevin

I know Kris is probably the prototypical WGWG contestant, but he had personality and charisma, and I think he exuded it in his first showing. Definitely one of my favorite underdog contestants.

Chris

The performance that made me fall in love with Kris - everything about it was how a semi-finals performance should be done. He probably hate himself that he didn't keep the song for MJ week though :haha:

Hayden

Kris came into the live shows as fodder, only being shown in passing (even though he seemed to have excelled during the auditions and Hollywood Week) so he really needed to prove himself with only 3 people advancing from each semifinal (because you know that he probably would’ve been left out of the wildcard). Kris came out and really impressed me! Some of Kris’s success is luck because previous frontrunners Jasmine and Matt imploded, but Kris still gave a stellar performance that set things in motion for him to eventually win.

Alex

It was a good performance. Nothing about it blew me away, but it was fine! I stand by bringing this to the top 20 over SWHFTM which is my second least favorite Kris performance.

Derek

holy sh*t he starts right off the bat with two awful wrong notes lmao. The whole beginning is a struggle. He is praying that chorus gets there faster. I can't excuse a whole verse being garbage

Lily

I'll be honest I didn't really care what Kris song made it into the final vote lmao. Both are fine to me. I therefore just decided to stand by and show my love for the late, great Donna Summer where I could! And also - I kinda just hate "Man in the Mirror"!. Well I don't hate the original I suppose but it can be filed under a song I just do not care to hear performed on a singing show. I thought this was a pretty great vocal in all fairness, but looking back I can't really imagine watching this and being like 'wow, we're watching the making of a star' like you could do with a lot of great first performances we've ranked so far.

Zoey

Hello mediocrity.

Richard

As miffed as I was that this one made it over “SWHFTM,” I can’t deny that this was a very solid performance from Kris. The start was a bit pitchy, but his tone was really smooth the whole way through. He hit his stride at the key change and really brought it home once the big note came. Something else that struck me is that he looked very natural and comfortable on stage, and that definitely added to the performance. While I wouldn’t say the performance itself was top 20-worthy, it was a great start for Kris and the right performance to kick off his underdog journey on the show.

Wally

"Man In The Mirror" is a really good performance from Kris Allen. It has this big moment of setting Kris off as a surprise contender as he had 0 airtime prior this performance. But I feel the backstory of this performance beginning Kris’ run as a contender is kinda more memorable and a bigger deal than this actual performance. I was definitely disappointed this beat out “She Works Hard for the Money” on the Kris battle round - because that was my 3rd favorite of Kris’ where I would have ranked it 6th or 7th. This performance is probably…. my 8th/9th favorite from Kris and will get my 18th ranking instead. :closedeyes: I love Kris (my 2nd fave of the season) but I could have done without this performance here tbh.

I have always really loved this song from Michael Jackson.. and I also really like Kris’ version. He has such a pleasant and easy listening voice and this performance is just that for me. He starts off and sings well at the start but he also builds this up nicely. I really love how he sings the chorus of the song especially the second time around.

I'm starting with the man in the mirror

I'm asking him to change his ways

And no message could have been any clearer

If you wanna make the world a better place

Take a look at yourself and then make a change

You gotta get it right

While you got the time

You can't close your your mind

:bobo:

Alright… well this was actually better and more impressive than I remembered (particularly that ending). The start was good but the end was really good. 

Oh I’m shocked at Kara saying this was the wrong song for him and not caring for this.

Certainly a good enough performance for Kris to move on the finals with but not really a Top 20 performance for me.

16. Adam Lambert "The Tracks Of My Tears"

JnYSOOe.png

11.84/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjbP2F4lGUc

@NGM - 2/20

@rdhaley96 - 3/20

@FrogLenzen - 5/20

@*Amanda - 9/20

@totes4totes - 10/20

@Steven_ - 10/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 10/20

@Alex95 - 12/20

@*Lily - 12/20

@Solaris - 13/20

@*Diana - 14/20

@taylorkat - 14/20

@JC - 14/20

@Zoey - 14/20

@goofycilla90 - 16/20

@hayden98 - 16/20

@*Wallace - 16/20

@*Chris - 17/20

@1234567890 - 18/20

Richard

Going into this ranking, I thought I would prefer “Mad World” to this, but it actually ended up being the opposite. Adam was phenomenal in this performance. From beginning to end, his vocals were sensational. He was very delicate, and I love how he took his time with the song. He didn’t stray too far from the melody, but at the same time, he was still able to bring the “Adam” flair to what he did sing. 

Vocals aside, I feel like he really embodied the spirit of his song choice, too. The performance felt very authentic and almost conversational, which took it to a more profound place emotionally. It didn’t feel showy or inaccessible. It felt real. And that’s what I love about Adam. He can be very bravado at times, and that’s great, but I love seeing the more subdued, personable side of Adam shine, too.

Derek

the f*cking audience clapping I cannot. Anyone clapping at an idol performance should be escorted out of the building immediately and killed. This being here over other Adam performances is truly annoying

Steven

I was glad when Adam finally did a more stripped down performance. He delivered a strong and emotional performance with "The Tracks Of My Tears," and it's probably my favorite Adam performance of the season (although I do like "Black or White" a lot too). This was a terrific performance.

Kevin

Overrated, but good.

Alex

Lol I really wanna know what Adam did to piss this entire site off. Obviously this is a great performance from Adam. I personally prefer his more upbeat performances, but unfortunately we don't have any of those. Obviously not a bottom five performance...but here we are.

Lily

I think of Adam being such a high-energy, electrifying performer that it always kinda shocks me when I remind myself how well he also fits a stripped back, pure vocal like this lol. I'm not sure why I'm shocked, his voice is great and it showed here. I honestly don't listen to a lot of his post-show stuff but I'd be down to hear more stuff like this from him.

JC

He is so talented, now listening to his performances, I can objectively say that he is quite an amazing singer and this was a great performance. I was very much against him during the season, but his post-idol music also really slayed for me, so now I am a fan of Adam, but in terms of this season's performances, I am not a fan. However, I will not be mad if this performance wins.

Zoey

No thank you sir.

Hayden

This was a great performance no doubt, but I’ve never been the biggest Adam fan so this is where I’m ranking this performance.

Wally

I had quite conflicting thoughts regarding Adam on the first half of his Idol run - where I would either love or dislike a performance of his every other week. :dead: It was a crazy but fun journey to watch. :haha: But Adam’s “The Tracks Of My Tears" was one of those performances I loved from Adam. It’s one of my favorites from him so I am glad tis found its way into the finals. I’ve always liked the original version from Smokey Robinson but love how Adam changed this song and stripped it down to a beautiful acoustic arrangement. I do prefer his more understated performances like this. He sound really nice here. I love how he sings the chorus here.

So take a good look at my face

You'll see my smile looks out of place

If you look closer, it's easy to trace

The tracks of my tears

Really nice! But then I love the next part of the song - I think the bridge where he sings:

Outside I'm masquerading

Inside my hope is fading

Just a clown

Since you put me down

My smile is my make up

I wear since my break up with you

Baby baby baby baby

That’s a reallly good part! I also love how he closes out the performance with those: 

I need you, I need you, I need you.

It was alll a really nice showcase of his falsetto vocals. And he really delivered a great emotional connection to this song too.

Chris

Adam was always on point and I thought he did good on this song but I was never able to connect with him on this performance; I would have taken a few other of his performances over this one.

Edited by Alex95
  • Confused 1

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 8 - 20-16 Posted)
13 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

This whole reveal is a clown show so far of performances that don’t deserve top 20 and then a performance that doesn’t deserve bottom 5 

I know. :( Man In The Mirror didn't deserve being in the Bottom 5. :closedeyes:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, rdhaley96 said:

Yeah, there's no universe where Lil Rounds should ever rank above "Tracks Of My Tears." :fail:

Hopefully she bounces before top 10, but at this point, I'm not optimistic. :closedeyes:

Church Sunday GIF

The Church of Latter Day Lil Rounds disagrees. 👼

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Yayy S8 results being posted now! 😄 

Ooh not too surprised about Tatiana’s SAMLFY coming in 20th here. I did struggle on this with putting it at 20 or 19 but I liked it less than I remembered. LMAO JC’s shad comment…. i know what he did there lol. I do agree on Richard’s and Steven’s comments here in particular. Ooh and also agree on Chris’ semi-finalist comment too.

Fine with Megan’s PYRO coming in at #19 as well as this wsas the other performance I was struggling on putting at #19 or #20 but ended up liing this more than I remembered. OMG Zoey’s comment yet she put this at #12. :dead: Agreed with those that “Walking After Midnight” should have been her representative if a Megan performance had to be here though. OMGG Derek’s commens has me in stitches here. :dead: Oh and forgot to mention this but I am kinda shocked Alex’s dislikes Megan and doesn’t enjoy her in an ironic kind of way. :haha: omg lol Lily’s comments has me cracking up too.

Well Danny’s CROCS beat out Tatianna and Megan so… mission accomplished for me here lmao. :haha: And actually wow I am shocked this managed to make 18th as I was expecting 19th at best :haha: OMG LMAO I am crying at all of the polarizing rankings here but definitely not surprised. 2 #1s and 5 #20s…. lmao oh wow. :lmao: Not surprised with the lower ranks. I do think this deserved a little better but I’m not a Danny stan so not gonna be upset over it since he did beat out the other polarizing types. Once again I do find myself agreeing on Richard’s comments… and Hayden’s too. OMG Alex’s comment…. omg that left me speechless. Wait up there’s two Haydne’s I’m guessing the first comment is Zoey’s? If so then I agree with her lol. :haha:

Yikes I hate that I’m the lowest ranker of a Kris performance with MITM…. Sorryyy. But that should be the only time that happens. But yeah this is good but I am glad it didn’t rank higher than 17th as I feel all the other performances remaining are stronger. Still bummed SWHFTM missed out though.

Hmm I was kinda expecting Adam’s TTOMT to make it into the next set but I’m fine with it coming in 16th as I ranked it there (and nearly put it at 15th). OMG LOL Derek’s comments… omg you guys are killing me with these heated comments. :dead: A great performance and glad it made it into the finals though. I do feel his other 2 performances will make the Top 10 though not sure where exactly.

A good first set. Not surprised none of Allison’s showed up yet. :haha:

• Like 2