American Idol Unpopular Opinions Thread

countrynineteen

Megan is the best contestant this season. And also, my favorite as of right now (Iam is second). Her ability to emote is phenomenal.

Btw, Can't believe I'm saying this bc I didn't like her AT ALL on The Voice. (I preferred Micha over her by A LOT)

• Like 4

This might be an unpopular opinion, but thus far this season, I've actually really appreciated some of the song selections that the contestants have made more than I thought I would have. I love some of the songs that Warren, Oliver and Iam have covered this season. I just hope they'll keep on selecting songs like that to cover heading forward.

Edited by Winterfan
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 2:40 AM, chrisaba said:

I still think Megan has a huge chance at making top 3. Although I love We amongst the remaining girls, Megan has been the most consistent vocally and emotionally. She is also gaining momentum on social media.

yeah i think she has the growth arc that people have been referencing. also country + ccm vibes

On 4/24/2023 at 4:43 AM, Hsamid said:

Unpopular opinions tonight.

- Haven gave a very good performance

- Olivia was very good karaoke.

- Nutsa is overrated

-dawson was one of the best male singers on the show

I agree about Dawson! I thought his performance was one of the best!! He showed both dynamic range and emotional range!!

1. I would be enjoying this season slightly more if Wé and Megan were "original" contestants that Idol found on their own. While them having exposure from The Voice would never stop me from rooting for them, I'm never going to be able to support them on the same level as "original" Idol talents I have stanned like Leah, Casey, Grace, etc. 

2. Some of y'all are doing way too much with the Haven hate. I understand why people don't like her and that's fine, but she is nowhere near as bad as she is made out to be. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, m1key said:

1. I would be enjoying this season slightly more if Wé and Megan were "original" contestants that Idol found on their own. While them having exposure from The Voice would never stop me from rooting for them, I'm never going to be able to support them on the same level as "original" Idol talents I have stanned like Leah, Casey, Grace, etc. 

2. Some of y'all are doing way too much with the Haven hate. I understand why people don't like her and that's fine, but she is nowhere near as bad as she is made out to be. 

I like Haven when she is playing the piano and singing ballads. When she tries to belt, she goes all over the place. Her ending to Living On A Prayer last night sounded like someone stepped on a cat’s tail. :(

• Haha 1

-Iam had his best performance last night Imo. The pimpage is warranted but maybe a tad bit much. 

-Megan still hasn't topped Up to the Mountain but she had my second fav performance last night. 

• Like 2

I have mixed feelings about Megan’s take on AFM. While it was technically good, that particular song needs a more nuanced vocal and I don’t think that was it. I get the praise tho

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, xfactor22 said:

I see a lot of negativity about this season but I quite enjoy this season even if I would’ve had the elimination order play out at least slightly differently

I've enjoyed it too but it had potential to be the best of the ABC era with different results imo.

Edited by Hsamid
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

I've enjoyed it too but it had potential to be the best of the ABC era with different results imo.

I enjoy the season, though I don’t think I’d go that far: While the top 26 this season are all good, I don’t think this season could top Maddie Poppe’s  season. High bar. 

Edited by xfactor22

4 minutes ago, xfactor22 said:

I enjoy the season, though I don’t think I’d go that far: While the top 26 this season are all good, I don’t think this season could top Maddie Poppe’s  season. High bar. 

Fair enough. I didn't watch that season. Resumed watching Idol during season 17.

Edited by Hsamid

2 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Fair enough. I didn't watch that season. Resumed watching Idol during season 17.

Oh. To be fair I may be slightly biased because my top fav of the season 16 (Maddie Poppe) won her season 

Edited by xfactor22
  • Like 1

We Ani has a gimmicky voice and appearance; Tyrus has a pure sound that (sadly) won’t be nurtured on Idol, but will be discovered elsewhere; he’ll be a star. Iam is a sad story that seems popular on Idol, but has no musical future.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

6 hours ago, xfactor22 said:

Oh. To be fair I may be slightly biased because my top fav of the season 16 (Maddie Poppe) won her season 

I like Maddie as well and Michael J. Woodard from that season. 

Agree that this season could potentially be the best in the ABC era - I already see it as better than last season, which I stopped watching. Only 2-3 carried the show for me last year so I only watched them on Youtube. 

On 4/26/2023 at 9:30 AM, QueenCami said:

yeah i think she has the growth arc that people have been referencing. also country + ccm vibes

Tbh, this is unpopular so im

in the right place, but personally I have enjoyed her a lot more in previous weeks. She’s waning on me this week. It feels more like a downward than upward climb. She’s still good though

8 hours ago, Fritzy said:

We Ani has a gimmicky voice and appearance; Tyrus has a pure sound that (sadly) won’t be nurtured on Idol, but will be discovered elsewhere; he’ll be a star. Iam is a sad story that seems popular on Idol, but has no musical future.

Ok. The voice thing I can sort of understand where people are coming from even though I don't agree since it's by all accounts her actual voice and there's nothing she can do about it

Her appearance though? How? I never thought there was anything standout about her appearance, at least anymore so than the other contestants.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Ok. The voice thing I can sort of understand where people are coming from even though I don't agree since it's by all accounts her actual voice and there's nothing she can do about it

Her appearance though? How? I never thought there was anything standout about her appearance, at least anymore so than the other contestants.

Yeah that was a rather weird comment to make by that person ...

Edited by StarWalker1

Not sure if this will be controversial but...

Idol needs to start doing a Top 20 again like they did in S17/S18, as opposed to a Top 24 or Top 26. All it does is just give us more fodder and worse mass eliminations. If we had a Top 20 this season, the format could've been something cute like 20 -> 16 -> 12 rather than the messy format of 26 -> 20 -> 12.

The semifinals is where minorities and women struggle most to get votes if they were given a bad edit in the pre-recorded rounds. Having a better semifinals format could actually give them a chance to survive and become undersogs.

I'm also perfectly content with the 10 -> 7 -> 5 -> 3 format. If single eliminations returned I feel like it would somehow backfire and give WGWG more of an advantage idk.

Edited by m1key
  • Like 4

- I don’t like Wè’s voice or style. She’s nothing new and we’ve had far better vocalists in her style over the years who have been far more exciting than what she’s bringing.

- Megan Danielle has been the most consistent performer this season. She’s consistently been great and hasn’t faltered yet.

- I will never understand the hype around Iam. He’s another guy with a guitar.. there’s nothing new or fresh about what he brings. He makes every performance the same which bores me.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, Zoey said:

- I don’t like Wè’s voice or style. She’s nothing new and we’ve had far better vocalists in her style over the years who have been far more exciting than what she’s bringing.

- Megan Danielle has been the most consistent performer this season. She’s consistently been great and hasn’t faltered yet.

- I will never understand the hype around Iam. He’s another guy with a guitar.. there’s nothing new or fresh about what he brings. He makes every performance the same which bores me.

agree w all this

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Iam winning would be a breath of fresh air and almost redemption for Alejandro (I KNOW THEY AREN'T THE SAME. LOL) getting second place to :/ Laine...

ANYWAY. He has a great tone. I want his original music. I know that's not a popular take so yeah...

• Like 1