American Idol Unpopular Opinions Thread

countrynineteen

11 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

Colin has the everyday man, discovered from obscurity narrative.  He's not a professional singer or has competed on other TV singing shows.  Sure, Mary Beth is good - but she has done this before.

Honestly I feel like Warren is his competition, and arguably might have better chances long term in making if farther than him

14 minutes ago, StarWalker1 said:

Honestly I feel like Warren is his competition, and arguably might have better chances long term in making if farther than him

Warren is older.  And there may be confusion with him and Oliver Steele.  Colin fits into the age group of Caleb H, Laine, Noah.

Edited by mytake1

I’m sensing an Iam VS Colin final two, with Iam winning. I think a woman will finish in third. Not sure if it’ll be Wé, Marybeth, Haven, or Megan. Zachariah could even take the third spot. He’s giving Taylor Hicks vibes (but I loathed Taylor lol.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Carrie_On said:

I’m sensing an Iam VS Colin final two, with Iam winning. I think a woman will finish in third. Not sure if it’ll be Wé, Marybeth, Haven, or Megan. Zachariah could even take the third spot. He’s giving Taylor Hicks vibes (but I loathed Taylor lol.)

I think eventually the audience will get bored by Zach doing the same performance over and over again

The casual viewers probably view Iam as the underdog right now, not Colin. He has minimalistic vocals, wears a t-shirt/shorts/flip flops every performance, and has an emotional story. When they see he is competing against women who have powerhouse vocals, goregous looks/outfits, and no sob stories (Kaeyra, Olivia, Elise, etc.) they assume that HE is the underdog because he is competing against others who are so "perfect." On IDF, we obviously know that Iam is the fronrunner and the girls are the underdogs. 

Edited by m1key
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Unpopular opinions tonight.

- Haven gave a very good performance

- Olivia was very good karaoke.

- Nutsa is overrated

-dawson was one of the best male singers on the show

I thought Haven redeemed herself, some inconsistencies, but it's not as bad as her previous performances (except her original ofc)

Hoping she will fix these soon.

Edited by allistr
  • Like 2

As a Wé fan. If there's one (and largely subjective) critique on my end besides the occasional bum notes in her performances. It's that I don't really "feel" her. There's a bit of an emotional disconnect for me with her performances. I suppose you could apply this to Olivia as of recently as well. But I thought her audition was pretty convincing.

I think this is something Lucy (and on occassion, Emma) has over the other powerhouse singers pretty consistently with the exception of her MYFML cover.

Edited by Hsamid
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

As a Wé fan. If there's one (and largely subjective) critique on my end besides the occasional bum notes in her performances. It's that I don't really "feel" her. There's a bit of an emotional disconnect for me with her performances. I suppose you could apply this to Olivia as of recently as well. But I thought her audition was pretty convincing.

I think this is something Lucy has over the other powerhouse singers pretty consistently with the exception of her MYFML cover, and on occassion Emma.

Yeah Lucy is kind of different from the other powerhouses. Her strength is giving emotional performances. She's a lot more inconsistent vocally then most of the other powerhouses but if you can make some one feel a certain way then that doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

I think this is something Lucy has over the other powerhouse singers pretty consistently with the exception of her MYFML cover, and on occassion Emma.

Idk I guess I'm the opposite

I FELT her audition, showstopper, and this recent performance ... her vocal choices alone are moving but her eye contact and how she caresses those lyrics always move me

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nytsch said:

Thought Michael was better than Marybeth last night

I don't disagree. But this was Marybeth's weakest vocal (although I did feel her performance), so not too surprising.

Edited by Hsamid
  • Like 1

If you're male, be young, be cute, try to be white and country. Dang, a cowboy hat is better than a platinum ticket! If not country, at least keep it bland and pop, jazz and soul ain't gonna cut it, they're so... so... unfamiliar. But if you're black, try not to be too black, and, whatever your color, try not to sound very gay, because the teeny bopper girls who do the voting seem to think that if they vote for you they're going to end up dating you. Now if you're female, it's a little easier... not to win, of course, that's harder... but to do well. It's still way better to be young, cute and country, but it's kind of okay to be black, it's more, um, acceptable.  And remember: second best is always best. << sarcasm

Unpopular opinions after tonight's episode.

- I'm as disinterested in Colin as much as the next person, but he gave one of the best performances tonight. 

- Zachariah > Nutsa in terms of stage presence + vocals

- Megan is the best contestant remaining taking into account vocal consistency + ability

- really like Nailyah and Olivia but their performances tonight were rough. (Didn't deserve to be in that position to begin with tho)

- Mariah also gave one of the best performances tonight.

• Like 3