American Idol Unpopular Opinions Thread

countrynineteen

12 minutes ago, hazuki said:

-Iam is incredibly overrated but I understand why people love him and the producers too.  He's got 2nd place written all over him lol. 

-I like We alot, but she's not the best girl of the season, I think Kaeyra or Olivia have the potential to take that spot from her imo.  Still early in the season. 
-Matt Wilson deserves more love. He's got that rich tone that i just love. Likeablity to the max. 

-Emma/Elise are underrated af around here. 

-This might be the best season since season 11. Lets see how it pans out though. 

I hope he wins. Sick of bland white folks winning. Male or female. lmao jk

I know he is more popular online elsewhere, but I guess my unpopular op isn't really.

IAM will win. And if I am wrong meh. :P 

Before someone says. ofcourseyouthinkthatyoustan :lmao: 

Alejandro (shut it) and Iam share one thing in common. I loved them from their audition onward.

If Iam is second who's first??? COLLIN. lol

Edited by KelseyW
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KelseyW said:

I hope he wins. Sick of bland white folks winning. Male or female. lmao jk

I know he is more popular online elsewhere, but I guess my unpopular op isn't really.

IAM will win. And if I am wrong meh. :P 

Before someone says. ofcourseyouthinkthatyoustan :lmao: 

Alejandro (shut it) and Iam share one thing in common. I loved them from their audition onward.

If Iam is second who's first??? COLLIN. lol

I was an Alejandro fan too, still am. Cant wait  for Pieces to drop!

I would be fine with Iam winning but i reall ydont think he will lol just spells 2nd place too me 

• Like 2

I don't expect We to win. She has the best in show label, the one that can do no wrong - which ends up the kiss of death.  Viewers like to champion the under the dog, see a growth arc.

And it could be history repeating itself - with her like finishing in 3rd place on The Voice - and losing to 2 guys.

Edited by mytake1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, nytsch said:

Yeah, I think some people were commenting on him being overhyped but it doesn't really bother me since I only watch the clips anyway lol, plus he seems to be really good 🤷‍♂️

His audition was indeed better I thought the clip title was an exaggeration but maybe not lol.

Definitely doing contestants no favours by giving them hyperbolic titles like that. It just sets an unrealistic expectation.

Although, I will say Tyson's cover of the song is one of the best I've heard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mytake1 said:

I don't expect We to win. She has the best in show label, the one that can do no wrong - which ends up the kiss of death.  Viewers like to champion the under the dog, see a growth arc.

And it could be history repeating itself - with her like finishing in 3rd place on The Voice - and losing to 2 guys.

Her already getting third on the voice is what is having me root against her 

• Like 1

I don’t think a contestant already being on another singing show should be held against them? I mean that’s just my opinion, people can use whatever criteria they want but no one was guaranteeing these contestants they’d be going up against people with no singing experience or something. I’d judge everyone to the same standard 🤷‍♂️

I agree viewers may not gravitate to her for that and other reasons, but we’ll see…

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Carrie_On said:

I don’t see anybody else but Iam winning. He’ll have Hawaii voting for him, which really helped Jasmine Trias even back in Season 3. 

At this point, he might just be my fav in the competition. I'd love if he wins.

We is amazing, but haven't connected much with her this time. I Hope I like her next performances as much as I want to.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

We is amazing, but haven't connected much with her this time. I Hope I like her next performances as much as I want to.

Oop I kinda agree. I have enjoyed all of her performances thus far and she obviously is extremely talented, but I am just not really connecting with her as a contestant. Not sure why though 😕

I am also not really sold on her making the Finale. I think she comes across as an extremely polished and professional performer (as she should tho), which may make her seem less relatable to the main demo. She also doesn't have a story that viewers can sympathize with, which doesn't help. If we look at recent females to make the Finale, you either have to have a story (Grace Kinstler), a relatable personality (HunterGirl), or a growth arc (Leah Marlene). I'm not sure if Wé will be able to check any of those boxes at the moment (though she can glady prove me wrong!)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, m1key said:

Oop I kinda agree. I have enjoyed all of her performances thus far and she obviously is extremely talented, but I am just not really connecting with her as a contestant. Not sure why though 😕

I am also not really sold on her making the Finale. I think she comes across as an extremely polished and professional performer (as she should tho), which may make her seem less relatable to the main demo. She also doesn't have a story that viewers can sympathize with, which doesn't help. If we look at recent females to make the Finale, you either have to have a story (Grace Kinstler), a relatable personality (HunterGirl), or a growth arc (Leah Marlene). I'm not sure if Wé will be able to check any of those boxes at the moment (though she can glady prove me wrong!)

Isn’t We’s story that no one takes her seriously because of her Betty Boop speaking voice?

I do think in general the most overhyped contestant or the frontrunner usually doesn't win.

The audience usually likes contestants with growth arcs which win. 

The problem is I don't know if this is a typical season. If what the audience typically likes or votes for is true, than Iam or We won't win. It would likely be Colin. However, as others have said I don't think he's as liked or as good as previous country/country adjacent contestants. He reminds me more of a Caleb Lee Hutchinson which gets far (possibly in the finale), but doesn't win. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

Isn’t We’s story that no one takes her seriously because of her Betty Boop speaking voice?

I consider it more of a quirk than a "story." It's something that makes her stand out, but it is not something that viewers will ultimately sympathize with when compared to the stories that contestants like Iam, Lucy, Oliver, Elijah (etc.) have.

She could turn it into a story by detialing the struggles and adversity she has faced throughout life because of her voice, but idk if she feels comfortable with that.

Edited by m1key

2 hours ago, BlkCountryFan said:

I hope Iam does win so he can be saddled with that Idol contract. Look how that's going so great for Noah, Chayce, Just Sam, Maddie Poppe, Laine Hardy etc.  

I hope Idol proves us wrong and spends $$$ on promoting him and Noah. 

6 hours ago, BlkCountryFan said:

I hope Iam does win so he can be saddled with that Idol contract. Look how that's going so great for Noah, Chayce, Just Sam, Maddie Poppe, Laine Hardy etc.  

Non-winners such as Alejandro & HunterGirl have also been signed by the Idol label. Alejandro is no longer signed. In general, no one (winner or not) should want to sign with the Idol label. They don't really seem to be helping any of the contestants.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 8:35 PM, FloorWax said:

Colin not only will not win, but he won't make the finale. He's just not good or likable enough. Noah at this point in the competition was much, much better.

Missing the finale?  I wouldn't bet on that.  He's very popular on Faceback.  Colin is from the Southern part of the Country.  And it is rare not to have someone from there in the finale.  He also has the underdog narrative, that viewers root for.

Edited by mytake1

2 hours ago, mytake1 said:

Missing the finale?  I wouldn't bet on that.  He's very popular on Faceback.  Colin is from the Southern part of the Country.  And it is rare not to have someone from there in the finale.  He also has the underdog narrative, that viewers root for.

Marybeth is also from the South and she has even more likes than Colin did on Facebook for her performance.  I agree that it's rare not to have a country singer from the South in the finale, but between her and Colin, I think that she's more likely to get there than Colin.  That said, I do believe that Colin will make it to the Top 5 -- I just no longer think that he's going to make it to the finale.

2 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Marybeth is also from the South and she has even more likes than Colin did on Facebook for her performance.  I agree that it's rare not to have a country singer from the South in the finale, but between her and Colin, I think that she's more likely to get there than Colin.  That said, I do believe that Colin will make it to the Top 5 -- I just no longer think that he's going to make it to the finale.

Has Mary Beth been consistent in having more likes than Colin - or is this week?

Also, are you bias towards a female?  Because looking at voting patterns for the last 5 seasons - there has always been a male Country singer in the Top 2 - except for the pandemic season.  But the voting was already closed when the show aired in prime time on the West Coast - where Dillon James was from.

Edited by mytake1

13 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

Has Mary Beth been consistent in having more likes than Colin - or is this week.  Also, are you bias towards a female.  Because looking at voting patterns for the last 5 seasons - there has always been a male Country singer in the Top 2 - except for the pandemic season.  But the voting was already closed when the show aired on the West Coast - where Dillon James was from.

I concede your points -- up to a point.  I do vaguely remember that Marybeth had more Facebook likes than Colin at one point but I could be wrong.

5 hours ago, mytake1 said:

What exactly makes Colin an underdog? I don't see that at all...

Edited by m1key
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, m1key said:

What exactly makes Colin an underdog? I don't see that at all...

Colin has the everyday man, discovered from obscurity narrative.  He's not a professional singer or has competed on other TV singing shows.  Sure, Mary Beth is good - but she has done this before.

Edited by mytake1