American Idol Unpopular Opinions Thread

countrynineteen

9 minutes ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

Yeah well, I tell people all the time that the reason I quit watching Idol for years is because I felt like I'd seen everything there is to see. Jayna apparently gave us the 14th(!!) cover of IHN on American Idol, you legit can't get more "been there, done that to death" than that. Maybe if she'd made more inspired song choices like the Foo Fighters song, she could've stuck around longer... or not. I just know that doing decent covers of Mariah and Whitney songs on a talent competition isn't gonna cut it these days, unfortunately.

I mean yeah I guess it depends how much you care about the songs being overdone? Diamonds was a bad choice (not like she was likely to survive that round anyway) but despite so many covers I think her versions of The Climb and IHN were some of the best I’ve heard so I’d definitely call that better than decent.

Of course those song choices didn’t do her any favors with the voting but that doesn’t change the fact she deserved way better imo. Also fwiw I think that’s the first (good) All I Wanted cover we’ve gotten.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

The rest of the top 5 performances are as follows.

McKenna was robbed, I'd add "Iris" as well.

Edited by QueenMae16
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Speaking of McKenna, what did you all think of her "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" performance? I noticed the discussion thread didn't quite care for it, and it's definitely not her best vocal (understandably so), but idk, something about her smokey tone in combination with that song really clicked for me. Someone like McKenna will probably rely on song choice to decide how much I enjoy her performances, anyway.

Edited by Weedy_Speedy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

Speaking of McKenna, what did you all think of her "Hard to Say I'm Sorry" performance? I noticed the discussion thread didn't quite care for it, and it's definitely not her best vocal (understandably so), but idk, something about her smokey tone in combination with that song really clicked for me. Someone like McKenna will probably rely on song choice to decide how much I enjoy her performances, anyway.

i originally didn't enjoy it, but after re-watching it a bunch, it has slowly became one of my personal faves from her. 

• Like 1