The Voice General Discussion Thread 🧵

istersay

If I could add one post to the Grammys discussion in spoilers, Allison Russell -  a singer I think many here would like - is nominated for Americana Album for her first solo album, Outside Child, and for Americana/Roots Song and Performance for its first single Nightflyer. Love this album. If you like, check out her wikipedia - quite a background story.

Nightflyer on Jimmy Kimmel feat. Brandi Carlile and Brittney Spencer

Edited by WastedinMemphis

17 minutes ago, azwige said:

does anyone remember how was Jackie foster's alone received by idf? I mean it was live and I really think she kill that one especially after doing great with never tear us apart

Jackie was pretty well liked on IDF. More people were in love with Brynn but Jackie's performance minus a couple were well received.

22 minutes ago, azwige said:

does anyone remember how was Jackie foster's alone received by idf? I mean it was live and I really think she kill that one especially after doing great with never tear us apart

Very well recieved if I remember correctly. Especially since that night (and playoffs in general) were pretty criticized.

On 11/23/2021 at 4:27 PM, WastedinMemphis said:

Well, that was fun! Kelly was a beast as always but Ariana singing Cher was a surprise. I don't get the show's premise but it looks to be worth checking out

Kelly is the better singer (although Ariana is great), but Ari is the better impressionist. Her Celine always cracks me up

Kelly's Alanis was fire though

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Very well recieved if I remember correctly. Especially since that night (and playoffs in general) were pretty criticized.

Playoffs were very negatively received that year, but both of Jackie’s playoff performances actually got good reception here. People were nervous for her playoff chances due to her choosing to move to Team Alicia, but her performances proved everyone wrong.

On 11/19/2021 at 6:02 PM, TeamAudra said:

I don’t think anyone expected Chris to get pimped so much, considering Matt was a finale lock. They clearly wanted both of them in the finale. 

They were so weird with Chris. 

He got pimped to high heaven but the song choices, man...someone described it best as the "Magic Mike playlist" 

Years later Chris said he was super uncomfortable with it too. He was just a kid, so I can imagine he was.

Still one of the best male vocalists we had on the show. 

3 minutes ago, Cookie73 said:

Playoffs were very negatively received that year, but both of Jackie’s playoff performances actually got good reception here. People were nervous for her playoff chances due to her choosing to move to Team Alicia, but her performances proved everyone wrong.

Things got rough for her when she chose Team Alicia. I remember her having to make an statement on IG because she got a lot of hate online due to changing coaches despite Adam trying to save her (this is when the KO save was first introduced), and as a whole she was viewed as fodder due to the strength of Team Alicia.

So glad she managed to step up to the plate and deservingly advance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mercfan3 said:

He got pimped to high heaven but the song choices, man...someone described it best as the "Magic Mike playlist" 

Years later Chris said he was super uncomfortable with it too. He was just a kid, so I can imagine he was.

Since he ended up signing with Republic, it could be that they expressed interest while he was still on the show. That would explain the pimping. Those song choices, though….”Velvet”…..yikes!

• Like 1

Just now, deszfan88 said:

someone listen to all of her performances and tell me she didn’t deserve to win…

she literally is one of the best vocalists to grace the voice stage

Honestly, the "Remote Live-Shows" affected her in a very negative way. If there would have been actual Live-Shows (i know it was Impossible, but still), i think she would have actually shined like she did in her audition/knockout. But unfortunately, the clips she made for the "LiVE sHoWS" didn't do any justice for her talent.

I still prefer other female singers of her genre a lot more, though. Her voice was simply not for me.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

Honestly, the "Remote Live-Shows" affected her in a very negative way. If there would have been actual Live-Shows (i know it was Impossible, but still), i think she would have actually shined like she did in her audition/knockout. But unfortunately, the clips she made for the "LiVE sHoWS" didn't do any justice for her talent.

As a Todd fan, I’ll say it: the minute TPTB got their hands on footage of his kids napping while he was singing in the semifinals, it was game over for everyone else, regardless of whether or not they were technically stronger as vocalists.

Toneisha is a contestant who would’ve thrived in the live shows (same with Todd, for different reasons), but her coming in second with Thunderstorm being a heavy favorite online is still impressive. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

As a Todd fan, I’ll say it: the minute TPTB got their hands on footage of his kids napping while he was singing in the semifinals, it was game over for everyone else, regardless of whether or not they were technically stronger as vocalists.

Toneisha is a contestant who would’ve thrived in the live shows (same with Todd, for different reasons), but her coming in second with Thunderstorm being a heavy favorite online is still impressive. 

Yeah, I think Toneisha could have definitely done better in actual Lives, given we didn’t have many powerful vocalists that season. This style of performances definitely allowed the more intimate singers to shine though, and that season was full of them. And Todd’s semifinal performance was basically a formula for winning The Voice (middle-aged white man, 90s country ballad, show all eight kids during the performance). I think the Top 3 would not have changed, but Toneisha could have possibly made a better case for me personally (She didn’t have a performance in the real season that stuck out to me like a few from Thunderstorm or Todd). Having Rose Short on the previous season could have potentially raised the bar though

• Like 3

Toneisha had my favorite KO of the season, personally. That was a killer version of Diamonds.

Other than that, though, she never did much for me, and as a whole I liked Todd and TStorm better.

That being said, the whole "live shows" were boring as hell that season, not because of the contestants, but the virtual format, which wasn´t their fault, and I can´t help but feel bad that all of them got robbed of a chance at performing live on national TV.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

The poor kid went to therapy to deal with the after-effects of his Voice experience, especially the image the show pushed on him. 

2 hours ago, ThrowawayCrayon said:

Is he? 

No (but his mom is), this makes me like Sasha less though 

(Blake’s mom used to post a lot publicly to Facebook about the voice, and was a good proxy for middle aged white southern/Midwest voters. She started posting a ton of trump and conservative stuff though & then went basically private) 

Edited by seak05
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2