FloorWax

Best Grace West performance so far?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one.

• “Maybe It Was Memphis” - Audition
    • “I Told You So” - Battle
    • “Here You Come Again” - Knockout
    • “Love Is Alive” - Playoffs

Just curious what people think because while I like her, I think she’s yet to have that one performance that stands out among the rest. I’d appreciate it if you explain your choice.

Edited by FloorWax

• FloorWax changed the title to Best Grace West performance so far?

I usually never pick a contestant’s battle to be their best unless they do something otherworldly so I’m choosing from the three solo performances here.

Honestly, HYCA was kind of a letdown for me :ph34rwave: I guess I expected it to be… prettier than it was? Her blind was good but I thought Danielle Bradbery did the song better.

I liked her Playoff performance the best personally because I thought the song allowed her tone to shine more than in her past showings.

You guys may be surprised to find out I’m this lukewarm on her run so far despite her being my favorite this season but it seems I just have no snowflakes this time around unfortunately.

• Like 1

Her tone on I Told You So was so fantastic, so I had to pick that. Loved the part, "And we'd live and love forever, and that I'm your one and only. Or would you say the table's finally tu-uu-urned." She kinda did the same in the part, "Love is Alive, and its made a happy woman out of me" as well.

I want to hear more of that.

1. Love Is Alive

2. I Told You So

Edit: not sure why tbh? I guess I found those songs to be a better fit for her voice than for example the BA. If she had a full solo version of ITSY maybe that would’ve been #1.

Edited by nytsch

There is something about her audition that captivated me since the moment she sang the first word. The whole performance felt so pure and she displayed a lot of genuine emotion. I loved it.

Her battle was beautiful, her voice fit that song like a glove, but the difference of the level of talent between her and her opponent was very noticeable :ph34rwave:. He still made a good battle partner and their voices still somehow complemented well with each other (despite her being way better). And no, i wouldn't use genre as excuse, based on their auditions, it's clear that she is the better vocalist. It is what it is.

Her Knockout has been her weakest. That is not a song to showcase your vocals but her tone still shined through. She is a country singer in all sense of word. (And that song pretty much represents my feelings for my current crush so i could relate to it a lot, which i appreciate 🤭

And her Playoffs performance was great as well. I think i liked her audition better because i felt more emotion in that one. 

With al that said, yeah, none of these standout that much between each other. But i can't stress this enough, i don't think a "moment" has been needed from her, at least not so far. She is showing who she is as an artist with these song choices, and that is more important to build a faithfull fanbase than "having a moment". But i still hope she gets a very emotional classic country song in the Semifinal. That will help her now that the audience can vote. 

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, jem128 said:

Love is Alive is the one I keep coming back to. I get why people don’t think it’s showy enough for that moment in a competition show, but that doesn’t make her vocal any less flawless (imo). 

And probably more difficult to pull off than a lot of people realize. 

I also get the impression that if she likes a song or performance, it doesn’t matter much to her what some other people think about it. She wanted to sing HYCA, and I doubt she has any regrets about the choice. 

1 hour ago, Gustavo527 said:

There is something about her audition that captivated me since the moment she sang the first word. The whole performance felt so pure and she displayed a lot of genuine emotion. I loved it.

Her battle was beautiful, her voice fit that song like a glove, but the difference of the level of talent between her and her opponent was very noticeable :ph34rwave:. He still made a good battle partner and their voices still somehow complemented well with each other (despite her being way better). And no, i wouldn't use genre as excuse, based on their auditions, it's clear that she is the better vocalist. It is what it is.

Her Knockout has been her weakest. That is not a song to showcase your vocals but her tone still shined through. She is a country singer in all sense of word. (And that song pretty much represents my feelings for my current crush so i could relate to it a lot, which i appreciate 🤭) 

And her Playoffs performance was great as well. I think i liked her audition better because i felt more emotion in that one. 

With al that said, yeah, none of these standout that much between each other. But i can't stress this enough, i don't think a "moment" has been needed from her, at least not so far. She is showing who she is as an artist with these song choices, and that is more important to build a faithfull fanbase than "having a moment". But i still hope she gets a very emotional classic country song in the Semifinal. That will help her now that the audience can vote. 

👀

• Haha 1

All Grace's performances sound great to me. "I Told You So" showcases her warm, pretty tone well. I hope she eventually uploads a full-length solo cover of it. I didn't vote in the poll, because I also really like "Love Is Alive."

The format is probably the reason for the apathy people are feeling. We've heard just three solos and a duet from six of the eight semifinalists and two solos and a duet from the pass recipients. Viewers can't easily form an attachment when they've briefly seen a contestant three or four times. Since I've read a lot about Grace and listened to her available music online, I'm very invested in her.

Seems like the consensus here is Playoffs, which is nice to see because it shows she’s trending upward. I hope TPTB lets her have a moment in the Semis.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

1. She's Got You
2. Love Is Alive
3. Til I Can Make It On My Own
4. Here You Come Again 
5. I Told You So
6. Maybe It Was Memphis
7. The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia

Edited by allistr

1. She’s Got You

2. Til I Can Make It On My Own