American Idol Season 21 Spoilers - Presented By The Idol Pad

Idol Maniac

8 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

But it might be better to do songs that people recognize than do a song from an obscure film, as Megan did with the one from Onward.  The point about "Into the Unknown" being high-risk still stands, however.

What makes Into The Unknown high risk?

7 hours ago, StarWalker1 said:

Only reason is cause its a very belty song and while We is a great belter, it's risky cause it's consecutive belting.

I mean, it can be done without a lot of belting. Like these contestants from the voice season 22 made it their own without belting a lot 

Edited by xfactor22
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, xfactor22 said:

I mean, it can be done without a lot of belting. Like these contestants from the voice season 22 made it their own without belting a lot 

Idk what you’re talking about because these two are definitely still belting everywhere the original singer does? Anyway, the point is that belted choruses and ending are what make this song and those are the parts you really need to nail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FloorWax said:

Idk what you’re talking about because these two are definitely still belting everywhere the original singer does? Anyway, the point is that belted choruses and ending are what make this song and those are the parts you really need to nail.

Their performance doesn’t seem extremely “belty” to me. I’d that’s how many belts are in the actual song, than I am not sure if it’s a “belty” song

personally, I like the story and of the song and the message, regardless of the belting or not. As long as a singer effectively communicates the message of this song, that’s good enough for me 

• Like 1

I don't get people who think that ITU is not belty. Even the first 15 seconds of that Omar battle is full of belting 😂

Anyway, kinda worried for Wé but I think it's a given that there's only 1 spot left for the girls... I think Megan will edge her out but we'll see I guess

49 minutes ago, KelseyW said:

If Colin beats Iam... Can we shut the f up about Kris beating Adam as the so called WORST THING EVER. lol

Ugh....

They might have Colin in the Top 2, but they still think that Iam will win.  And unlike Adam, Iam's vocal tone and performance style doesn't seem to offend anyone.  But they could be wrong about Colin (unlikely but possible).  And I still have faith that We at least will make the finale.

• Like 3

The thing is, I wouldn’t even be salty about a Colin win if we hadn’t already had Noah and Chayce win. He’s got potential to make it big in the country music scene. But I do not want a third male country winner in a row. Iam will be a breath of fresh air. 

• Like 3

On 5/11/2023 at 2:05 PM, FloorWax said:

I’m not a fan of Wé’s song choices for her tbh. The Climb is sooo overdone and Into The Unknown is very high-risk.

Zachariah’s performances will be… entertaining that’s for sure.

I like both of Megan’s songs for her, especially You Can’t Stop The Girl. I don’t love the song itself but I think it could be good for her voice.

Iam will do his Iam thing. I bet he closes again with the Cat Stevens song.

Me neither. Her "Something's Gotta hold on me" cover was bomb. That is what fits her best not ball room gown belter lite stuff

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

no bc i think Colin has been more interesting than Iam. at least Colin did DOMO lol

I enjoyed Dancing On My Own more than any Iam performance thus far.... but Iam's run has been EXTREMELY consistent and he has yet to have a bad performance imo. Colin on the other hand has had multiple bad performances. 

I was at least ABLE to see the appeal in Chayce and Noah but I just can't with Colin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nytsch said:

You guys really liked Colin's DOMO more than Iam's Bring It On Home?

in a vacuum, Iam’s performance might be (slightly) better than Colin’s, but I actually don’t think it’s that clear. Colin’s performance felt very emotionally tuned-in and also was dynamic (vocal textures, belt/falsetto). on the other hand, Iam’s performance felt very same-y throughout. that being said i prefer Iam’s song choice i think lol so that definitely helps his case, along with no pitch issues and a little more power than i recall usually hearing from him.

on a wider scale, Iam’s performances are pretty much the exact same each week. that bothers me a lot because i haven’t heard him do anything very dynamic? i genuinely don’t get how people have commented “i’m no longer watching if he doesn’t win” because he hasn’t done anything to show me that he deserves the winning title imo — no performances rhat felt like risks, that truly felt like all-timers, changed from the usual. Megan’s shown a big belting range while Wé has been Wé, but Iam has just done the same thing for 3 months and is the clear frontrunner.

if we consider other clear front runners on singing shows, like Jordan smith, Carrie, Alisan — all of them brought to the table an incredible vocal ability. on top of that, Alisan actuallt showed some variety with a few toned down performances, but even without that i’d argue all three surpass Iam in their vocal skill. (i do get the argument that Carrie and Jordan don’t show much emotion when singing, which is something people argue Iam does, but like ??? i’m never moved lol so i think that’s just subjective lol?). ultimately i think this is the big reason he’s so successful; he manages to get to people emotionally. i really enjoy some singers like that, for example Addison Agen of TV13, but she also showed impressive vocal skill with her falsetto alongside great phrasing and an insane tone (subjective ofc). some might say Iam has a cool or unique tone too which is totally valid i just happen to not be super impressed by it lol

ANYWAY: as a final point it’s worth saying that from what i can see on TV he seems like an incredible person and of course he’s a gifted singer, his voice just doesn’t stand out to me in the way it does for many others. i do wish him all the best, he just wouldn’t be my top choice for the winner.

6 hours ago, QueenCami said:

in a vacuum, Iam’s performance might be (slightly) better than Colin’s, but I actually don’t think it’s that clear. Colin’s performance felt very emotionally tuned-in and also was dynamic (vocal textures, belt/falsetto). on the other hand, Iam’s performance felt very same-y throughout. that being said i prefer Iam’s song choice i think lol so that definitely helps his case, along with no pitch issues and a little more power than i recall usually hearing from him.

on a wider scale, Iam’s performances are pretty much the exact same each week. that bothers me a lot because i haven’t heard him do anything very dynamic? i genuinely don’t get how people have commented “i’m no longer watching if he doesn’t win” because he hasn’t done anything to show me that he deserves the winning title imo — no performances rhat felt like risks, that truly felt like all-timers, changed from the usual. Megan’s shown a big belting range while Wé has been Wé, but Iam has just done the same thing for 3 months and is the clear frontrunner.

if we consider other clear front runners on singing shows, like Jordan smith, Carrie, Alisan — all of them brought to the table an incredible vocal ability. on top of that, Alisan actuallt showed some variety with a few toned down performances, but even without that i’d argue all three surpass Iam in their vocal skill. (i do get the argument that Carrie and Jordan don’t show much emotion when singing, which is something people argue Iam does, but like ??? i’m never moved lol so i think that’s just subjective lol?). ultimately i think this is the big reason he’s so successful; he manages to get to people emotionally. i really enjoy some singers like that, for example Addison Agen of TV13, but she also showed impressive vocal skill with her falsetto alongside great phrasing and an insane tone (subjective ofc). some might say Iam has a cool or unique tone too which is totally valid i just happen to not be super impressed by it lol

ANYWAY: as a final point it’s worth saying that from what i can see on TV he seems like an incredible person and of course he’s a gifted singer, his voice just doesn’t stand out to me in the way it does for many others. i do wish him all the best, he just wouldn’t be my top choice for the winner.

I think it's a case of people just really loving his tone and the emotion he conveys. He makes every song he sings stripped down to highlight it.  The closest type of run I can think of is Chloe Kohanski on The Voice.

If you don't like his tone or feel it from him though then you aren't gonna get much 

11 hours ago, StarWalker1 said:

She thrives in ballads too (ain't no way, skyfall, I have nothing)

UO, but honestly, Ain't no way is her only ballad I was truly impressed by.

I kind of think Skyfall and This Is Me were some of her weaker performance.

I have nothing was objectively fine, but it's been so done to death and she didn't bring anything new to it. 

Idk I feel like Iam, Megan, and Collin are so locked in to their respective niches that merely doing a ballad, two Disney ballads at that, isn't really gonna cut it. The Climb is already a meh song choice so everything is riding on Into the Unknown. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, QueenCami said:

no bc i think Colin has been more interesting than Iam. at least Colin did DOMO lol

You could literally give DOMO to the last few winners (Chayce, Noah, Laine) and it probably would have turned out the same. Heck, you could have given to Oliver and Warren and it probably would have turned out the same as well. Iam, at least, doesn't sound like any contestants I've heard time and time again in the past even if people don't find him all that exciting. And unrelated, but I kind of feel like DOMO is one of those songs that can make anyone sound decent. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, QueenCami said:

Yeah I would highlight that performance from Iam because compared to his other performances I thought he did some cool stuff with it vocally, and it was a good song choice that I wouldn't really expect from him. I do feel like he's had some cool song choices (T26 is virtually unknown afaik) plus perhaps the only one choosing something out of the box on Alanis night. I guess you could say it's the emotional connection, but for me it's just more of the way his tone glides over those songs that sells it.

Colin's DOMO was good but I'd still take Iam's T12 all the way. Plus I don't think Colin was going for much vocally either and still bombed on Pretty Heart and HIMP.

Iam isn't my top favorite (we all know who lol, and I think Megan has convinced me more lately too). I'd also say apart from T12 I don't think, at least since I started watching he's had something as good as Lucy's original or Radioactive. But I can't say I'd be mad at all if he wins. I could say that about Colin lol.

I do think Iam is pretty versatile to an extent. His uptempo performances ("Stuck On You", "Don't Let Go") are not as uptempo as other contestants uptempo performances, but he was still able to command the crowd and get them to vibe with him. 

The main part of his artistry is his "storytelling" abilities, which shines best on ballads or midtempos. He's not gonna go out there and sing a demanding, uptempo song when that's not who he is as an artist.

If Colin makes the Finale I'll be voting for Iam because Megan or Wé would be dead on arrival at that point.

• Like 3