American Idol Season 21 Spoilers - Presented By The Idol Pad

Idol Maniac

8 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

iirc i thought she was slightly pitchy somewhere will have to relisten

I think the first verse had a few problems but once she got through that it was pretty incredible.

This sounds silly, but I feel like my perspective on this season would be very different if Kaeyra was able to make it to at least Top 8? Her presence would've made me more forgiving of other weaknesses the actual Top 8 had. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, nytsch said:

I think the first verse had a few problems but once she got through that it was pretty incredible.

yeah she had some good moments but i just wasn’t amazed 😭 i think part of the problem is that i thought she was just better on the voice lol

like she felt like she had more depth to her voice and more texture (though sometimes she brought some grit to her performances). it just felt like her voice got more “normal” by AI, in terms of texture, tone, depth — even though her range and power were still great.

i also think i’ve heard better covers of the song lol? like i didn’t particularly like some parts like what she did on “tall”

anyway i promise i’m not a hater i totally recognize she’s an incredible singer and belonged in the finale. but she just has become less interesting to me. OTOH, Megan remained interesting to me w her vocal texture and she also finally unleashed the belting i always knew she could do (i recall commenting that it felt like she was holding back on TV).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Some of y'all 👀 say Wé fans are annoying but if you weren't impressed by her version of The Climb idk what to tell you lmao. I'm not even hating on Megan or Iam I like them too but they are not even close to her imo.

I was not particularly surprised to see her miss the finale if I'm being honest, I predicted that, but it doesn't make the result any less bad. Just confirms what we already knew the performances don't matter, the voters already made their mind up.

7 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

So, i'm not the only one that tought that? :stealth:

Oh girl you barely started watching this season, you don’t even know…

I’ve definitely been the annoying Wé fan at some points but like… it’s not unprovoked :stealth:

• Haha 1

Just now, QueenCami said:

This is a little surprising coming from you, because, to me, Grace fans have been far more overbearing than Wé fans.   In fact, I have most of the more vocal ones on ignore lol.

I don't mean this in an unkind way either, I'm genuinely surprised that people would think that Wé fans are overbearing, especially considering how other fan groups can be. I probably don't need to remind you of the criticism that Gwen got after commenting on Morgan's gestures during her Knockout performance. 

And frankly, this isn't just about Grace fans lol. Even on this season of American Idol, I've found some fan groups to be more irksome than Wé's fans (though nothing really particularly bothersome). This is all to say that I think Wé fans have been generally quite tame.

I know exactly what you think about Grace's fans (And Morgan's fans, for that matter). It's not a secret. Yeah, you are right, we are a mess, so it was hypocrital from my part talking about Wé's fans.  Sorry.  

I'm in the fandom Swiftie, my friend. That fandom is tragic on so many levels lol. I know what you are talking about, and i'm aware that i'm personally need to do better.

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, nytsch said:

Some of y'all 👀 say Wé fans are annoying but if you weren't impressed by her version of The Climb idk what to tell you lmao. I'm not even hating on Megan or Iam I like them too but they are not even close to her imo.

I was not particularly surprised to see her miss the finale if I'm being honest, I predicted that, but it doesn't make the result any less bad. Just confirms what we already knew the performances don't matter, the voters already made their mind up.

Angry Bob Barker GIF

(J/k)

Imo, Megan does not have as much vocal issues as Wé in performances which is the main reason why I have had her ranked higher. But I also think Megan's tone is more distinct and I feel her performances more, which I know is subjective.

I agree with Cami that Wé has lost some of the vocal texture, tone and depth that made her really stand out on The Voice. But if her technique back then was unhealthy then of course I would prefer she do what she's doing now.

i think that Wé has kind of moved into the lane of Ali on AI, with a smoother voice.

wondering what y’all’s thoughts are: how would you rank the following:

- Ali (the voice)

- Ali (the four)

- Wé (the voice

- Wé (american idol)

4 hours ago, nytsch said:

Just confirms what we already knew the performances don't matter, the voters already made their mind up.

To be honest, even before live voting started on Idol I thought this was generally true of voters. If voters still were voting in the Top 5, it was likely because they already had made up their mind & had favorites or preferences.

1 hour ago, QueenCami said:

i think that Wé has kind of moved into the lane of Ali on AI, with a smoother voice.

- Ali (the voice)

- Ali (the four)

- Wé (the voice

- Wé (american idol)

Wé on AI > on The Voice.

I'll be honest, I like Wé's prelive performances on the voice more than anything she did on AI, but that might be due to post editing.

Even if I preferred her tone on the voice, she was just too inconsistent in the live shows.

Wé on AI wasn't perfect, but usually its only a few moments of vocal issues as opposed to large sections of vocal inconsistencies she had on TV.

And it's hard to compare Ali On The four and On the voice since one journey was all prerecorded.

Still, I think all her  performances on the four were almost all on par to her best prelive performance on The Voice (no ordinary love)

So Ali on the four > TV for me.

Overall the ranking is.

Ali (The Four)

Ali (TV)

Wé (AI)

Wé (TV)

I will say, I prefer Wé's tone to Ali, and her range nowadays may be bigger. But Ali has consistently killed so many performances with barely a hint of a vocal flaw that its hard for me not to rank her first.

Edited by Hsamid

2 hours ago, QueenCami said:

- Ali (the voice)

- Ali (the four)

- Wé (the voice

- Wé (american idol)

1. The Four Ali

2. American Idol Wé

3. The Voice Ali

4. The Voice Wé

it's really close between 2 and 3 tho

i wonder if Iam is performing with James Blunt who's song he covered during his audition.

6 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Angry Bob Barker GIF

(J/k)

Imo, Megan does not have as much vocal issues as Wé in performances which is the main reason why I have had her ranked higher. But I also think Megan's tone is more distinct and I feel her performances more, which I know is subjective.

I agree with Cami that Wé has lost some of the vocal texture, tone and depth that made her really stand out on The Voice. But if her technique back then was unhealthy then of course I would prefer she do what she's doing now.

I actually didn’t enjoy Megan’s tone but I’ve come to like it a lot. I think just like I said in another thread, she needs a very specific type of song for it to stand out. If she was consistently on the level of Angel from Montgomery and Go Rest High then I might say it was close, because I did really feel her in those performances, but in a song that doesn’t fit as well I don’t get that much from it even if she’s technically good.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, QueenCami said:

- Ali (the voice)

- Ali (the four)

- Wé (the voice

- Wé (american idol)

I'm gonna be honest, I didn't care for We on The Voice which was why I was kind of like "whatever" when everyone was excited about her return (honestly felt that way about all The Voice alumni. None of them were exactly my favorites). She definitely improved on idol, mainly in stage presence and performing, but I think after both of her runs, I've pinpointed my issue with her. UO, but I don't find her to be a compelling ballad singer. She clearly hits all the notes, but idk, it always feels like she's going through the motions when she sings them. Now when she goes uptempo, you can tell that's more her element. I still go back to "Something's Got a Hold On Me" because something just clicked there. Even with "Edge of Midnight," she looked and performed like a star. Her hollywood original with everyone singing along etc. Those were her strongest performances. Other than Ain't No Way, none of her slower songs hit me, and it's probably cause Ain't No Way is a soul song which allowed her to "go off."

Ali is one of my favorites contestants ever so it's definitely Ali > We in any scenario. Ali's problem on the Voice was song choice. Like none of her songs made sense. She sang a Dolly Parton song? I actually remember think two of the songs We sang that season should have gone to Ali: No More Drama and Love on the Brain. Funny because Ali ended up singing No More Drama on The Four. But like We, I think Ali was able to show more on her second TV appearance. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, joe14 said:

I'm gonna be honest, I didn't care for We on The Voice which was why I was kind of like "whatever" when everyone was excited about her return (honestly felt that way about all The Voice alumni. None of them were exactly my favorites). She definitely improved on idol, mainly in stage presence and performing, but I think after both of her runs, I've pinpointed my issue with her. UO, but I don't find her to be a compelling ballad singer. She clearly hits all the notes, but idk, it always feels like she's going through the motions when she sings them. Now when she goes uptempo, you can tell that's more her element. I still go back to "Something's Got a Hold On Me" because something just clicked there. Even with "Edge of Midnight," she looked and performed like a star. Her hollywood original with everyone singing along etc. Those were her strongest performances. Other than Ain't No Way, none of her slower songs hit me, and it's probably cause Ain't No Way is a soul song which allowed her to "go off."

Literally my thoughts exactly omg.

Her performances of "Something Got A Hold On Me", "Edge of Midnight", and her Hollywood original showcased her artistry and identity. The rest of her songs made her feel like a generic powerhouse singer, which is kinda how I felt about her on The Voice as well. Great vocals, but who are you as an artist outside of singing songs from the Powerhouse Songbook?

i think i'd probably like Wé's run on TV more now than before because I really appreciate a nicely textured voice, like the non-power/range stuff pops out to me more now than before. For that reason I suspect I'd find Ali a little less interesting, though she hit such insane notes especially during her time on The Four that it would be hard to place her low....

I think probably

TV Wé > AI Wé

The Four Ali > TV Ali

hard to place them otherwise, and would need to relisten to do so, but probably smth like

TV Wé > The Four Ali > AI Wé = TV Ali

i know Wé was really inconsistent on TV and i even found that i didn't really like one of her performances that seems to be well liked but i think it's such an asset to have the depth her voice had there

Ugh I wish The Four stuck around for more than two seasons. The format of the show was entertaining to watch and there was always drama. I also loved how they heavily showcased R&B, rap, and soul (as well as POC artists), which typically tend to suffer on the formats of The Voice and Idol :( 

Edited by m1key
  • Like 3

So it's probably the top 10

My Predictions

Zachariah Smith - Pitbull

Haven Madison - Ellie Goulding

We Ani - Jazmine Sullivan

Oliver Steele - Kylie Minogue

Warren Peay - REO Speedwagon

Iam Tongi - James Blunt

Marybeth Byrd - Lainey Wilson

Tyson Venegas - TLC

Megan Danielle - Lauren Daigle

Colin Stough - Jelly Roll

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, thevoiceisthetop said:

So it's probably the top 10

My Predictions

Zachariah Smith - Pitbull

We Ani - Jazmine Sullivan

Oliver Steele - Kylie Minogue

Warren Peay - REO Speedwagon

Iam Tongi - James Blunt

Tyson Venegas - TLC

Colin Stough - Jelly Roll

I would think REO Speedwagon fits Zachariah. I don't know who Pitbull or Kylie fits.

My Predictions:

Colin Stough - Luke Bryan

Iam Tongi - James Blunt

Wé Ani - Jazmine Sullivan

Zachariah Smith - REO Speedwagon

Oliver Steele - Katy Perry

Warren Peay - Jelly Roll

Tyson Venegas - Lionel Richie

Lucy Love - TLC

Nutsa - Pitbull

Not sure where Kylie Minogue goes lol. 

If Oliver is with Katy he better slay because the Katy Finale Duet always ends up being one of my fave performances of the season.