@jarmon - 15/20

@Alex95 - 16/20

@Crisis - 16/20

@sublymonal - 16/20

@Steven_ - 17/20

@Solaris - 20/20

@NGM - 20/20

Derek

lost steam halfway through, last note started great and then he held on too long. doesn’t help that I hate this song

Gigi

Also underrated and I enjoyed this performance.

Richard

I was surprised to see this place last for season 10, because I really liked the drama Jacob brought to this. It wasn’t necessarily a perfect vocal; he was a bit pitchy in his lower range. But I thought that overall, he did really well and brought it home at the end.

Diana

pretty performance

Wally

Is Jacob's "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word" THE luckiest performance to ever make the finals? It's not a bad performance by any means but I am shook this got into the Final 20. All through the luck of Randomizer putting it in Round 6. Then the vote against one performance where it was against the polarizing Paul MacDonald and we didn't have to vote FOR this performance to get in the finals. This performance is iconic getting in here just for that. :dead: 

With all that said, I really like Jacob and do like this performance but it's not one of my very top faves from him, hence me placing it 19th. Jacob starts off singing this song beautifully. I do like the emotion and passion he pours into the song. It's nice how restraint he was at the start. He really does sing it straight from his heart. Although maybe he's getting TOO into the performance with some of those facial expressions. But sang it, Jacob! And dang he really held it with that long note at the end there. :omg:  Okay, this performance was much better than I remembered....so I moved it up a few more spots.

Reason for this #7 ranking: Lol it's still so hilarious how this performance lucked up into making the finals. But I think this is a fairly good and solid performance from Jacob. I hope it gets some good credit in this round as I do think this is one of the better performances of this group. I liked 6 other performances more than this so 7th fits best for this for me.

Chris

Always thought Jacob was underrated as a vocalist, and while the performance doesn't necessarily do him justice, I must rank it near the top of my ranking out of the performances that we are ranking as it's definitely not one of the worst one. 

Elliott

I remember liking this at the time, but I don't think it's held up too well. Kind of ranked here by default.

QK

Congrats on being the highest ranked guy I suppose that is some what of an honor even if you are only #11 overall. 

Zoey

Where’s No Air?

Lily

I felt like this kept almost going in the right direction but just didn't quite hit the right notes. I really like this arrangement and I felt like his vocal didn't quite live up to it.

Amanda

Jacob had better performances than this. This one was pretty underwhelming.

Akshar

He had me in the first half and then completely lost me and made me so bored with this performance.

Alex

Jacob is lowkey one of my least favorite contestants on the show (excluding the problematic and horrible human beings). He did have his moments, but this certainly wasn't one of them.

Crisis

For the most part, Jacob was either really good or outright unlistenable. This performance, however, lands somewhere in the middle, one of the rare occasions of his run.

Andrew

Was this good? Sure but Jacob overstayed his welcome that season.

Steven

This wasn't a bad performance, but Jacob's voice just isn't my cup of tea. There's something about his diction I don't care for. He wouldn't be someone I would voluntarily listen to sing.

Sola

Absolutely Hideous, 🤮

Nico

I forgot how much his tone annoys me

Oooh good spot for Jacob's SSTBTHW to come in at 13th, although I wouldn't have minded this coming in a little higher. I can get this coming here and the polarizing thoughts.

:dead:  @ Derek having so many negative comments for a performance he ranked 2nd. :haha: But I do agree with the higher up comments on this. lol QK's highest ranked guy comment. And lmao Zoey mentioning "No Air." We definitely didn't need that performance in the S10 Top 20. :dead:

14. Caleb Lee Hutchinson "When Doves Cry"

HmUb094.png

12.1/20

Watch Here

@Elliott - 1/20

@*Wallace - 3/20

@sublymonal - 3/20

@rdhaley96 - 6/20

@Crisis - 7/20

@NGM - 9/20

@Solaris - 11/20

@*Diana - 12/20

@FrogLenzen - 13/20

@*Amanda - 13/20

@*Chris - 13/20

@Zoey - 16/20

@Alex95 - 17/20

@QueenKalie - 17/20

@jarmon - 18/20

@*Lily - 18/20

@Steven_ - 18/20

@taylorkat - 20/20

Elliott

I'm expecting this one to get hosed again, which is a shame. Caleb's probably my favourite of the ABC-era contestants, and this was easily my favourite performance of the season. It was my favourite Prince song, and I loved Caleb performing it as an angsty country ballad. KING.

Wally

"When Doves Cry" is easily my favorite Caleb Lee performance and the only performance of his that I really like. But with the ABC seasons, I'm fine with throwing my objectivity thoughts + rankings out the window and do some fun tanking. :kissbye: I'm certain the big Caleb Lee fans will rank Gabby's performance last, so I won't help Caleb here and I will just return that last place ranking in return. :kissbye: Although if I were to rank this performance realistically, it would probably be in the 12th/13th range? Anyway, this performance was kinda genius from Caleb Lee. I worried about him and thought he would have made such a mess of himself on the Prince theme - but him taking "When Doves Cry" and spinning it into a haunting country ballad, this worked perfectly for him. The arrangement was great and he delivered a really good vocal. He was heartfelt and so emotive in his emotion here.  But yeah, this was great. His best performance. His best vocal performance (imo). I'll always give him props for this performance, even if my ranking doesn't show that.

Reason for this #3 ranking: LOL I will admit that I was extremely petty with my ranking of this performance the first time. I felt bad ranking this last and it still coming in last anyway. Had I known that, I would have ranked this fairly maybe. :dead: But yeah I don't think this performance deserved to come in last for Season 16 - that's one of the few performances I can say that about of these performances. I thought this was great from Caleb Lee. This is kinda interchangeable with my #2, but I'm more have more nostalgiamy #2, so I put this 3rd.

Andrew

I know this will probably get tanked but this is one of my favourite performances of the season and my favourite of Caleb’s 

Richard

I loved the staging on this one, and I think the performance could have been close to being an Idol moment. Ultimately, I feel like his delivery was a little too lacking in dynamics, and the performance itself didn’t show as much versatility as I would have liked.

Crisis

Caleb isn’t one of my favorites, but this was a strong performance and easily his best of the season. It’s one of the stronger vocal showings in this ranking, so it gets a place in my Top 7.

Nico

I feel like there is a really cool idea here, but he doesn't really put it off

Sola

I petty ranked this in last place the first time. I actually like this performance. I do think its possible this does well in the finale ranking.

Diana

pretty song, his recent comments about winning idol were kinda a turn off to me though

Derek

no thanks lol. Really dull through the entire first part, got interesting for 8 bars and then fizzled and ended.

Amanda

This was easily his best, but also I couldn't bring myself to care for anything he did, as I was much more invested in Maddie and Jurnee that season.

Chris

My favourite performance of his but it still remains a middle of the road performance. 

Zoey

Who’s this?

Alex

This is not something I would ever go out of my way to listen to in real life. In fact if it came on the radio I would actively change the channel. I hate everything about this performance.

QK

This just wasn't good but then again I guess you can say the same for most of the stuff here. 

Akshar

Yeah, this is just not it for me. I never cared for Caleb and I still don't. His performances are just so boring and bland for me so yeah whatever.

Lily

Personally I'm not sure I ever want to hear a country cover of Prince again.

Steven

I guess he tried to put his country spin on it, but I don't think it really worked that well.

Gigi

Probably his best performance and I like the song, but I can't stand his voice.

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Last Placers - #14 Posted)

Oooh we went from #13 to #14? 😮 

I never really cared for Caleb Lee, but do really like and think his WDC should have ranked higher. But also not surprised it came in 14th and don't really care that much. :haha: At least it wasn't last here again though, lol. :haha: All of the comments are understandable on this one. 

I'm curious what Diana is referring to in her comments as Caleb Lee didn't win? Maybe that was about Caleb Johnson?

7. Clay Aiken "Someone Else's Star"

pSmpYkl.png

9.3/20

Watch Here

@FrogLenzen - 1/20

@rdhaley96 - 2/20

@*Amanda - 6/20

@*Chris - 6/20

@sublymonal - 6/20

@Solaris - 7/20

@*Lily - 7/20

@Steven_ - 7/20

@taylorkat - 9/20

@*Diana - 11/20

@Zoey - 11/20

@NGM - 11/20

@Alex95 - 12/20

@jarmon - 12/20

@Crisis - 12/20

@QueenKalie - 15/20

@*Wallace - 16/20

@Elliott - 17/20

Derek

y’all there was nothing majorly wrong with this. Kind of didn’t go anywhere but his voice is so pretty

Richard

He hit a few flat notes, and the song itself was eh, but otherwise, I thought this was a very solid performance. His delivery for the most part was great. I’m not sure why this placed last for his season.

Amanda

Far from Clay's best, but it was still a good vocal.

Chris

This one was certainly an odd choice to have in our Top 20 of Season 2 as it is often seen as one of his weakest vocal performance & it's quite dull but out of the performances here ? This is one like a flawless vocal performance :haha: . I would say that #5 and #6 are equal but #5 edged this one out as it was more fun & entertaining. 

Andrew

Clay got done dirty in the S2 Rankdown and even if he’s not my favourite nowadays I loved him and his performances back then

Sola

I liked this performance but didn’t love it.

Lily

Nice enough but incredibly boring.

Steven

Good vocals, but I thought this was kind of dull. But Clay's strong vocals here are enough for this performance to outrank most of these other performances.

Gigi

Solitaire over this.  This one doesn't really stand out.

Diana

is it a secret how I feel about Clay at this point?

Zoey

it was good.

Nico

Dull as hell, but sung well enough? I will forget this in 10 seconds

Alex

Obviously Clay is talented so he ranks higher than most of these out of tune performances. Just so unbelievably boring.

Akshar

Yeah, I actually really liked this performance from Clay. He handled this song with such class and ease and his voice sounded lovely on this. Kind of a boring performance overall but the vocals were good.

Crisis

This advancing to the S2 Top 20 was surprising considering Clay had better performances still available. Nonetheless, while this isn’t terrible, it was boring and not one of Clay’s best during the season.

QK

Never liked or cared for Clay Aiken so I won't be ranking him high either. 

Wally

Ugh JC, why couldn’t you have advanced the amazing “Solitaire” rather than "Someone Else's Star”? I think I would have put “Solitaire” in my Top 6 area or so. :broken:  Sadly, I never cared for Clay’s “Someone Else's Star" and this was an easy #20 ranking for me. I suggested this as a cut suggestion for mine and Derek’s cut but we went for something else. Clay sang this well (as he always does) but I found this performance boring from him. It’s amongst one of my lesser faves from Clay and one I tend to forget about from him. :( But I also blame it on me not really knowing or caring for this song. 

Reason for this #16 ranking: A nice vocal as always from Clay but it's a performance that's always bored and never grabbed me. I do think it's objectively better than the performances I ranked lower + maybe some I ranked higher, but I was entertained more by those I ranked higher. So 16th woks here.

Elliott

Boring and bland, like everything Clay did that season.

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Last Placers - #7 Posted)
On 2/13/2021 at 8:27 PM, Alex95 said:

Last Place

Ryan Starr "You Really Got Me"

Carrie Underwood "Independence Day" (Reprise)

Lisa Tucker "I Am Changing"

Haley Scarnato "Tell Him"

Carly Smithson "Total Eclipse of the Heart"

Breanna Steer "Bust Your Windows"

Sam Woolf "We Are Young"

JAX "Piece of My Heart"

Dalton Rapattoni "Bird Set Free"

Laine Hardy "Hey Jude"

Dillon James "Change the World"

Cadence Baker "Something's Got a Hold on Me"

The top six and bottom six

Edited by Alex95

Hmm I kinda can't fault Clay's Someone Else's Star making it to 7th. This is a nice performance and I do think I ranked it maybe too low but just was super boring to me. But nearly everyone's comments pretty much says it all. I do wonder how this would have done if JC participated, and if it could have made the Top 5.

58 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

The top six and bottom six

So 8 girls and 4 guys remaining. So I'm guessing all of the remaining guys are probably in the Bottom 6.

I guess Ryan and Cadence will also make up the Bottom 6?

Meaning Carrie, Lisa, Haley, Carly, Breanna makes the Top 6.

Though maybe Haley and Cadence could be swapped? But I think Haley will have some strong support to get her a higher ranking. Oh wait, I forgot about JAX.... I could see her being in the Top 6 or Bottom 6 as I see her having lots of high and low rankings.... I don't know how to predict her, actually. :dead: 

Hmmm now I think Cadence makes Top 6 and JAX in the Bottom 6.

3 hours ago, QueenKalie said:

This seems like the more likely scenario.

Agreed. :haha: 

2 hours ago, Zoey said:

I don’t know what’s going on. Is 20 what we think is least deserving of the losers?

Yeahh. #20 is like the worst of the worst of these performances (which I think is kind of the real winner of this round) while #1 is the best of these performances.  :haha: 

2 hours ago, Elliott said:

Discover No Way GIF by ADWEEK

LMAO I'm totally with you on this too.... but this is IDF, so you know it's to be expected. :dead: