American Idol General Discussion

istersay

1 hour ago, Elliott said:

S6 - Blake and Chris were the IDF favourites. I don’t remember Jordin being super popular since most of the forum preferred Blake & Melinda to her.

S7 - Brooke and Carly were the it girls, but David Cook was the favourite during the latter half of the season iirc.

S8 - Allison was the It girl (obviously), but Kris/Adam/Allison were collectively the favourites. Adam’s fans were the most vocal, though.

S9 is really when the forum shifted dramatically to preferring the women.

S9 - Siobhan was the IDF It girl by a country mile. The meltdowns when she was eliminated were iconic :wub: For obvious reasons, Crystal was the favourite afterward.

S10 - Pia initially, and then Haley after Pia’s elimination. Lauren was moderately popular, but a clear third. For anyone who didn’t know, the “Team Waffle” mantra became a thing after Thia & Naima’s double elimination.

S11 - All of the girls in the finals (sans Shannon) were popular and had vocal fans. From what I remember, Hollie was probably the one this forum rooted for the most since she was one the show liked the least.

S12 - lol Angie was far and away the IDF favourite. Candice was well liked since most people recognized she was the clear objective winner. Kree was well liked, but not as much as those two. Amber wasn’t really popular (as @Weedy Speedy can confirm, lol), and Janelle was until the live shows started.

S13 - Emily was the initial It girl, but then it became Jena and Jessica. I’d say it was Jena as the bigger favourite, but she was more polarizing than Jessica was

S14 - JAX.

S15 - La’Porsha was popular, but Trent was the IDF favourite.

~~~

S16 - Maddie and Gabby had the stan wars, but Jurnee was the favourite.

S17 - Laci initially, then Madison.

S18 - Julia.

S19 - Casey and Grace were both It girls, but Casey was the less polarizing of the two and typically was ranked above Grace

S20 - Leah

S21 - Wé

Who would you say was the IT Girl this season, Elliott?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, QueenKalie said:

Have they signed any of the artists yet? Or does that usually happen later on?

The 19R Idol liaison/manager has been MIA from social media. She hasn’t posted anything about the finale. She’s @elissajf on IG.

The past few seasons we were able to figure out which artists were getting signed because she started following them on IG. So far this year, she hasn’t followed any of them.

5 hours ago, QueenKalie said:

Have they signed any of the artists yet? Or does that usually happen later on?

It happens later. The last few seasons where BBR was the label Chayce was officially signed in Nov. the same year he won. Noah, HunterGirl, & Colin Stough released new music by Oct. of the end of their seasons under BBR. I don't think there was any official news that they signed before that. Haven's news that she officially signed was Nov. of last year. We Ani was on the BBR official website roster only a few months ago. I don't know if there was any news before that she was signed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ptebwwong said:

It happens later. The last few seasons where BBR was the label Chayce was officially signed in Nov. the same year he won. Noah, HunterGirl, & Colin Stough released new music by Oct. of the end of their seasons under BBR. I don't think there was any official news that they signed before that. Haven's news that she officially signed was Nov. of last year. We Ani was on the BBR official website roster only a few months ago. I don't know if there was any news before that she was signed.

Are contestants free to sign with another label? Or, is there a waiting period?

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2024 at 10:25 AM, Elliott said:

S6 - Blake and Chris were the IDF favourites. I don’t remember Jordin being super popular since most of the forum preferred Blake & Melinda to her.

S7 - Brooke and Carly were the it girls, but David Cook was the favourite during the latter half of the season iirc.

S8 - Allison was the It girl (obviously), but Kris/Adam/Allison were collectively the favourites. Adam’s fans were the most vocal, though.

S9 is really when the forum shifted dramatically to preferring the women.

S9 - Siobhan was the IDF It girl by a country mile. The meltdowns when she was eliminated were iconic :wub: For obvious reasons, Crystal was the favourite afterward.

S10 - Pia initially, and then Haley after Pia’s elimination. Lauren was moderately popular, but a clear third. For anyone who didn’t know, the “Team Waffle” mantra became a thing after Thia & Naima’s double elimination.

S11 - All of the girls in the finals (sans Shannon) were popular and had vocal fans. From what I remember, Hollie was probably the one this forum rooted for the most since she was one the show liked the least.

S12 - lol Angie was far and away the IDF favourite. Candice was well liked since most people recognized she was the clear objective winner. Kree was well liked, but not as much as those two. Amber wasn’t really popular (as @Weedy Speedy can confirm, lol), and Janelle was until the live shows started.

S13 - Emily was the initial It girl, but then it became Jena and Jessica. I’d say it was Jena as the bigger favourite, but she was more polarizing than Jessica was

S14 - JAX.

S15 - La’Porsha was popular, but Trent was the IDF favourite.

~~~

S16 - Maddie and Gabby had the stan wars, but Jurnee was the favourite.

S17 - Laci initially, then Madison.

S18 - Julia.

S19 - Casey and Grace were both It girls, but Casey was the less polarizing of the two and typically was ranked above Grace

S20 - Leah

S21 - Wé

Lol @ me not seeing this until now because you tagged my old username. :wub: New one has an underscore instead of a space lol.

I'll add onto this since I've been on here a bit longer than Elliott has:

S2 - It was Clay, aikenforums.com used to be an alternate url for IDF.

S3 - Diana was quite popular, I saw many old usernames in tribute to her back in the day. Jasmine Trias also had fans that took refuge in her contestant forum; it was part of the old "Idol Showcase" for several years.

S4 - Carrie, obviously.

S5 - As I'm sure will come as little surprise, Katharine was essentially a goddess to many users on here. Kellie was also popular, as was Chris Daughtry. Daughtry's shock elimination was the original "day the music died". :haha:

S6 - I'd actually say Jordin had a more devoted IDF fanbase than Melinda. Her contestant forum was very active for a number of years.

S7 - The forum turned against Brooke once she started her downward spiral. That's when Syesha's ghosts became a force to be reckoned with. ❤️ In addition to David Cook, Jason was also popular, and Archie fans weren't unheard of.

S10 - When Pia was eliminated, people on here legit acted like someone died. Then Haley became IDF's messiah and Pia was completely forgotten about.

S11 - I'd say Jessica was a smidge more popular than Hollie, but they were far and away the top 2.

S12 - Candice was popular, but she had a very vocal hatedom because certain sectors of IDF have always been racist #notsorry. Angie was absolutely the queen bee, though. Overall, the forum was very pleased with the top 3.

S13 - Oh, certain posters on here couldn't stand Jessica and were soooo nasty about it. I don't wanna knock the Jena fanbase too hard bcuz ya'll are cool, but the Alex Preston stans were completely unhinged.

Edited by Weedy_Speedy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Idol's Finale had the best ratings of the season - 5.64m viewers and a 0.65 in the demo (seems bad, but for today's standards it's good!)

4/5 of the Top 5 most viewed episodes this season were the Sunday episodes once Finals (Top 14) began. hopefully the producers see that as a good sign to keep our current format with more live shows. 

Meanwhile The Voice Finale had 5.56m/0.41 on Night 1 of the finale and 5.11/0.40 on Night 2... the drop says all you need to know about viewers actually being invested in the artists imo. 

Edited by m1key
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Are contestants free to sign with another label? Or, is there a waiting period?

I don't think we can use past Idol history. There used to be a waiting period for contestants. However, the end of the waiting period for contestants to be signed to non-affiliated 19 labels was the same time contestants they were "free" to release any music.  

I think the end of the waiting period used to be sometime in Aug. when contestants were "free" from the contract. I remember starting to see music releases from contestants starting Sep. Also, with BMG's current deal which sounds more like a development artist deal I don't know how it works. We Ani just was officially put on the website's artist roster. Is that because under the development deal it took almost a year to realize they wanted to sign her?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptebwwong said:

I don't think we can use past Idol history. There used to be a waiting period for contestants. However, the end of the waiting period for contestants to be signed to non-affiliated 19 labels was the same time contestants they were "free" to release any music.  

I think the end of the waiting period used to be sometime in Aug. when contestants were "free" from the contract. I remember starting to see music releases from contestants starting Sep. Also, with BMG's current deal which sounds more like a development artist deal I don't know how it works. We Ani just was officially put on the website's artist roster. Is that because under the development deal it took almost a year to realize they wanted to sign her?

It’s difficult to earn those advances in this environment, and they could end up in debt to the label. I’d gladly take the “development deal.” It doesn’t surprise me that the label would wait a bit, so they can observe for a while. Success stories will likely be few and far between, and they’ll be less excited about signing the contestants as time goes on. Hopefully, they’re not at that point yet. 

Just for fun, here are the numbers for their singles after one full week. 

Spotify:

Will 126,549

Abi 94,178

Jack 79,451

Triston 55,298

Emmy 44,079

Itunes: 

Will 39

Abi 141

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Jacob Lusk performs for Elton John. Btw I had no idea he was on AI until now, but the tone and range!  Absolutely devoured that song. 

Awesome!! 

Posted (edited)

https://heavy.com/entertainment/american-idol/winner-noah-thompson-loses-record-deal/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1ZdQqsLTWQ-HGVuRgHxf1SArvG-028aE5kvE4lhyaU9wxnsS-yv_radlU_aem_AbwzRpoXIbls50-n9Cm0OQEoskVFoxwUfLGqf3kwGub1wINVhXQvpkAQUf_p1RzPQOCWyKpCC49ga8ifoO4nnL7b

guess those false rumors from earlier in the season of him being dropped weren't false after all, lol. 

i'm not surprised. Noah was cute and had some good performances, but of that seasons Top 5, he clearly had the least experience and drive necessary to launch a career. 

Edited by m1key
  • Sad 1

It’s hard to leave your kid behind to go out and try to become a famous music artist. Out of all the winners, only Noah and Fantasia were parents. You’ve gotta sacrifice so much and it probably wasn’t worth it to him. I know I wouldn’t be willing to do it. 

• Like 3

Being dropped from your label doesn't mean you quit the music industry though. That was the rumor that he quit and doesn't do music anymore but you can take one look at his page and realize that wasn't accurate.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

Being dropped from your label doesn't mean you quit the music industry though. That was the rumor that he quit and doesn't do music anymore but you can take one look at his page and realize that wasn't accurate.

It also states in the article that he hasn’t quit music. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Jacob Lusk performs for Elton John. Btw I had no idea he was on AI until now, but the tone and range!  Absolutely devoured that song. 

I actually had enjoyed this song without even realizing it was him at first.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Also idk if you've seen anything yet but he kinda has these 2 iconic moments (for very different reasons lol)

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, nytsch said:

Also idk if you've seen anything yet but he kinda has these 2 iconic moments (for very different reasons lol)

• Like 1