WTF Playoffs Coach Save Moments

David68

Who thought it was a good idea to save Tyke in Season 15 over Radha, Kameron, and even freaking Steve. Apparently Adam did cause reasons.

Gwen saving Ryan Sill in S7, complete BS.

I just want to know why Kelly saved Shane Q over Damali.... like wtf? S17

Blake and his save for Cali in S17 as well, pretty much every save in S17 was BS. Cali, Shane, Will, Myracle(Myracle I loved you in the end sis, but still Kyndal was my girl)

S17 PO Saves sucked. Objectively Myracle was the only good one, but Kyndal was still robbed.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, David68 said:

Like why in the world did Adam decide to save {Contestant A} instead of {Contestant B} from elimination in the playoffs?

Contestant A = Tyke James

Contestant B = Kameron Marlowe

Right?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 8/23/2020 at 7:34 PM, QueenMae16 said:

Who thought it was a good idea to save Tyke in Season 15 over Radha, Kameron, and even freaking Steve. Apparently Adam did cause reasons.

Gwen saving Ryan Sill in S7, complete BS.

I just want to know why Kelly saved Shane Q over Damali.... like wtf? S17

Blake and his save for Cali in S17 as well, pretty much every save in S17 was BS. Cali, Shane, Will, Myracle(Myracle I loved you in the end sis, but still Kyndal was my girl)

S17 PO Saves sucked. Objectively Myracle was the only good one, but Kyndal was still robbed.

so agree with this. 

cali is okay but Marina slayed KO and she woulda snatched CS if she didn't get PO. 

will <<<< alex < khalea

myracle <= kyndal

Shane <<<<< damali

honestly im okay with the myracle pick because I woulda bet that kyndal would have gotten the pick over Jake, I *might* have done the same thing in her place. although, kyndal is amazing no doubt.

Edited by QueenCami

S17:

Shane Q over Hello Sunday/Damali - Not that anyone else was deserving of the next round, but Shane was the worst.

Cali Wilson over Gracee Shriver - I do prefer Cali overall but based off of Cali's "Toxic" performance - it was a genuinely shocking moment.

S16:

Mari over Domenic Haynes - Not actually a bad pick, but stunning because we'd mostly pegged Domenic as Adam's fave and his only real shot at going far.

Celia Babini over Lisa Ramey - I didn't really lose any sleep over this, but Celia really didn't deserve to go through. Her only good performance was her audition. Everything else was iffy to tragic. Lisa on the other hand showed improvement/good quality performances.

S15:

Tyke James over Kameron Marlowe/RADHA - Kameron was RIGHT THERE, Adam.

S14:

Spensha Baker over WILKES - I'll fight those who disagree. Spensha was average, WILKES gave something truly special each time.

Jackie Verna over Reid Umstattd/Drew Cole/Mia Boostrom - In order. I genuinely still don't understand Adam's decision here.

S13:

Ashland Craft over Karli Webster/Moriah Formica - Miley what was you doin'....

Adam Cunningham over Emily Luther - Not particularly a big fan of Emily but I thought she rightfully deserved to go through

S10:

Paxton Ingram over Katie Basden/Joe Maye - ugh Blake's sworn loyalty to his original contestants. At least he improved but Katie was the best choice there. She did even better than Mary that night.

S9:

Mark Hood over Darius Scott/Celeste Betton - Darius was such a unique contestant and iirc, Celeste nailed her performance. Mark didn't deserve the top 12.

S7:

Chris Jamison over Taylor Phelan - *deep long sigh*

S3:

Adriana Louise over De'borah/Devyn DeLoera - ugh. I still can't believe that's the hill Christina chose to die on that season.

Edited by Someone648
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Someone648 said:

When Adam saved Chris over Taylor, I was really disappointed . But later on Chris proved me wrong  he showed why he was chosen I mean just listen to WIWYM, Cry Me A River, Jealous

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Someone648 said:

S17:

Shane Q over Hello Sunday/Damali - Not that anyone else was deserving of the next round, but Shane was the worst.

S16:

Mari over Domenic Haynes - Not actually a bad pick, but stunning because we'd mostly pegged Domenic as Adam's fave and his only real shot at going far.

S15:

Tyke James over Kameron Marlowe/RADHA - Kameron was RIGHT THERE, Adam.

S14:

Spensha Baker over WILKES - I'll fight those who disagree. Spensha was average, WILKES gave something truly special each time.

S13:

Ashland Craft over Karli Webster/Moriah Formica - Miley what was you doin'....

S10:

Paxton Ingram over Katie Basden/Joe Maye - ugh Blake's sworn loyalty to his original contestants. At least he improved but Katie was the best choice there. She did even better than Mary that night.

S9:

Mark Hood over Darius Scott/Celeste Betton - Darius was such a unique contestant and iirc, Celeste nailed her performance. Mark didn't deserve the top 12.

S7:

Agree with all of this. Particularly in S15, Kameron was the only one on Team Adam that sang on pitch almost the whole time in his PO and for that alone he deserved to go through. Not to mention he had stage attitude for days.

I would like to add:

Ryan Sill over Ricky Manning in S7, although Ricky´s PO wasn´t good, it was still better than Ryan´s, and his KO was phenomenal, so it could have been nerves and the potential was there.

Dave Fenley over Michael Lee in S15. Dave was amazing pre lives, but he was so off in his PO, and apart from the fact that Blake´s PVs were both country, Michael deserved to go through. His KO is still one of my all time favorites.

Jej Vinson over Presley Tennant in S16. Not a huge fan of Presley, but she improved a lot from her blind, and her playoff was good enough to advance, while Jej started to struggle in the CB and couldn´t reach the heights of his fantastic Blind and Battle, and his PO was a mess all around, it was two shaky performances in a row.

Darby Walker over Sophia Urista in S11. I never got into Darby´s voice, and she was a mess all around, whereas Sophia demostrated a lot of control and it would have been interesting to see where she would go in the show. I mean she tackled the Beatles, Pink Floyd and Rod Stewart, so who knows the surprises she would have had.

Koryn Bukowski over Viktor Kiraly in S9. Loved Koryn´s battle, but nerves got the best of her the minute she went live, and Viktor did a great job with a Marvin Gaye classic, I thought he was a clear shot for PV, but since he wasn´t, I expected Gwen to save him, which didn´t happen as well, inexplicably.

Mark Isaiah over Johnny Hayes in S12: Wasn´t that big of a fan of Johnny, but out of all the contestants that didn´t get PV, he was clearly the best.

Adam saving Tyke over Kameron. I usually hate male country singers, and the first one I really enjoy gets eliminated on PO while all the other trash country singers get the fast pass to the finale  :whut:

Edited by Daillon
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Zainab Tufail said:

Gwen saving Ryan over Bryana Salaz

this! lmao. Bryana's PO was not her best, wrong song but Ryan? for heaven's sake. Bryana had a killer KO performance (was really impressed by her). She would've been more loved than Ryan floppin' Sill 😂

P.S. I am glad that Bryana is out and proud 🏳️‍🌈. I like her music and how she fights hard for what is right (ya know what I mean)

Season 5:
Christina picking Josh Logan over the two women on her team that got cut - his version of Crazy had more runs than actual notes and was generally messy as hell, and yet...

Season 7:

Gwen picking Ryan Sill - Bryana had two solid moments in the pre-taped rounds, Ricky's KO was a potential breakout moment, and she still went for the most mediocre member of the team.

Adam picking Chris Jamison over Taylor Phelan - at the moment I was like "Adam, wtf?" but unlike Ryan, he eventually got it together and won me over.

Season 9:

Pharrell picking Mark Hood over Darius Scott - I expected it as soon as we found out neither had gotten the PV, but it still stung. 

Gwen picking Korin Bukowski over Viktor Kiraly - I loved Korin's pre-taped stuff, but her playoffs performance was shaky while Viktor didn't really have a bad moment throughout his time on the show.

Season 10:

Blake picking Paxton Ingram over Katie Basden and Joe Maye - I admire the loyalty to OG Team Blake but am frustrated with Blake over this one.

Season 12:
Adam picking Mark Isaiah over Johnny Hayes - Ryan Sill 2.0 somehow made it to the top 10 after Adam saved his butt in the playoffs, but that last Instant Save performance will haunt me and not in a good way.

Season 13:

Miley picking Ashland Craft over Karli Webster or Moriah Formica - she got it into her head that she'd be able to beat Blake with a country artist, but we saw how that worked out.

JHud picking Shi'Ann Jones over Chris Weaver - Shi'Ann had potential but never quite lived up to it, while Chris was killer from the get-go.

Adam choosing Adam Cunningham over Emily Luther - ...I don't even have the words for this one.

Season 14:

Blake picking Spensha Baker over WILKES - I like Spensha, but WILKES was more interesting as an artist and would've had his own lane on the show had Blake picked him.

Alicia picking Christiana Danielle over the others on her team - I love Christiana, but given Terrence's blind was the most popular of the season and the fact that Johnny is a big-voiced bilingual artist, I was surprised by the pick.

Season 15:
Blake picking Dave Fenley over Michael Lee - I get sentimentality, but Dave flopped while Michael was at least decent (nowhere near his KO level but still solid).

Adam picking Tyke James over Kameron Marlowe - Adam. Why?

Season 16:

Kelly picking Jej Vinson over Matthew Johnson and Presley Tennant - after Rod, Matthew and Presley had the next strongest playoffs nights, while Jej turned in his second shaky act in a row.

Season 17:

Blake picking Cali Wilson over Gracee Shriver - Cali's KO was solid; her playoffs performance was not. Gracee was solid on both nights and would've been a female country answer to Hoot.

Kelly picking Shane Q over Damali - we know Kelly works well with teenage girls, but instead we got the one act who got done in by his nerves.

John picking Will Breman over Khalea Lynee - look, I'm a big Will fan and am glad he made it as far as he did, but Khalea didn't have a single off night her whole run.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I'm going to go by coach for each season since I started watching:

Season 7

Adam picking Chris Jamison over Taylor Phelan or Mia Pfirrmann, because yes.  Both of them had been consistent before that point.  Chris did get better, though, so there's that.

Gwen dropping Bryana Salaz and Ricky Manning for Ryan Sill, who'd been shaky all season and really only did even reasonably well on his Knockout.  Like, WTF, Gwen?!

Pharrell saving Sugar Joans over Jean Kelley.  I get that Jean's Blind antics (that weren't shown) were always going to kind of hang over her head, but seriously, Pharrell?!

I agreed with Blake keeping Jessie Pitts.

Season 8

Adam saving Brian Johnson over Tanya Boyd-Cannon.  I mean . . . it's Adam, so . . . but Tonya could've given him a bit more of a chance to stay in longer.  (Really, though, Tonya did have it coming.)

Pharrell's team was so stacked that he really couldn't have gone wrong with anyone but possibly Lowell Oakley, so I agreed with him saying Koryn Hawthorne, though I would've been okay with Caitlin Caporale, as well.

Christina's team was also loaded, so any of them would've made sense.  But based on iTunes, it made sense for her to save Rob Taylor.

Blake saving Hannah Kirby over Sarah Potenza.  (Brooke Adee had pretty much bombed, so I wasn't weeping for her.)  One of the biggest-voiced women in the competition and you drop her, Blake?!  WTF?!

Season 9

Adam's team was the loaded one this time, so no one would've been a wrong choice here.  Shelby Brown made sense.

Gwen saving Korin Bukowski over Viktor Karaly, as many have said.  Like . . . I don't get her logic here.

Pharrell saving Mark Hood over Celeste Betton and Darius Scott.  Although I admit that Mark's Knockout was one of his best, his Playoff wasn't.  Darius and Celeste, meanwhile, knocked their Playoffs out of the park.

Blake's team was decent enough that anyone made sense, but I agreed with Emily Ann Roberts advancing.

Season 10

Adam's team was pretty weak that season other than Shalyah Fearing and Laith Al-Saadi, so it was clear that anyone who made it through would've just been eliminated early, anyway.  Still, Owen Danoff over Caroline Burns threw me for a loop.  Adam, the savior of all young girls, dropped her?!  Like, WTF, Adam?!

Pharrell's team mostly flopped in this round other than Hannah Huston.  And they flopped enough that his Comeback got through (not that Daniel Passino didn't deserve it, since he was the only other one to at least be decent on that team).  So Pharrell could've picked anyone, and they'd have been gone quickly.  It just happened to be Emily Keener.

I had no issue with Christina saving Bryan Bautista over Ryan Quinn, even though I'm pretty sure that Christina wanted to take him through, as well.  It's just that Nick Hagelin got through (probably over the sob story of Bash), too, so she couldn't have both.

Blake dropping Katie Basden and Joe Maye for Paxton Ingram has always stuck in my craw as one of his biggest WTF?! decisions.  Yes, Paxton improved, but still . . .

Season 11

Adam's top three that season were actually pretty solid, so whether he picked Brendan Fletcher or Josh Gallagher (I forget which) over Simone Gundy and Riley Elmore didn't matter.

Miley dropping Sophia Urista for Darby Walker was slightly confusing, but she'd also dropped Maye Thomas, the far superior version of Darby, in the Knockouts, so it wasn't totally surprising that Darby's youth would appeal to Miley.

I can't believe that no one's mentioned Alicia dropping Kiley Rothfield for Sa'Rayah!  A rocker woman with her own possible lane dropped for another big-voiced woman?!  Bad choice, Alicia!

Didn't have an issue with Blake choosing Courtney Harrell over Dana Harper or Jason Warrior.

Season 12

It's already been said.  Adam choosing Mark Isaiah over any of his other available members was a real WTF?! moment.  Granted, Hanna Eyre bombed, but Josh West and Johhny Hayes had at least done more passable jobs that Mark had done.

Surprised that no one's mentioned this one from Gwen.  JChosen and Johnny Gates dropped for Troy Ramey?!  Troy was good that night, and Gwen does seem to go by that particular round most of the time, but still . . . it was clear that her gut was telling her to go with JChosen.  She kept hesitating every time she addressed him, so it seemed to me like she wanted to choose him.  (The audience sure wanted her to, as well!)  But instead, she goes with the least popular member of her team for no other reason than Alicia pretty much told her to.  And then, Troy gets chopped the next week.  Hope that choice was worth it, Gwen.

No issue with Alicia choosing Stephanie Rice.  The rest of her team had been average to poor that night.  Really, as long as her team had some three-person permutation out Chris Blue, Vanessa Ferguson, Stephanie Rice, and Anatalia Villaranda, she couldn't go wrong.

Although I could see the strategic implications behind it, Blake dropping Casi Joy for TSoul.  (Felicia Temple and Aaliyah Rose had no chance.  Especially Aaliyah once Aliyah Moulden was voted through.)  He'd fawned over Casi quite a bit, so it was a bit startling that he let her go.  But I guess that once he found out that he had Lauren Duski for the female country artist lane, he didn't need Casi anymore.

Season 13

Yes.  Just . . . yes.  Adam dropping Emily Luther, who had her own lane, for Adam Cunningham, who'd be competing with Red Marlow in the country lane just because he was still obsessed with beating Blake with a country singer (something that only Kelly would do twice seasons after this one).

Miley pretty much had lost the game already with her Knockout decision to drop Chloe Kohanski for Ashland Craft, but she all but worsened her chances by also dropping both Karli Webster and Moriah Formica (the latter of whom even her own mother told her to take through!) in favor of Ashland, as well.

Someone mentioned Jennifer dropping Chris Weaver for Shi'Ann Jones.  I was disappointed, but got it since Jennifer probably didn't want Chris to split the votes with Davon Fleming.  I was more disappointed that she didn't take Hannah Mrozak through, since she nailed her Playoff, for the most part.  Shi'Ann just . . . didn't.  Jennifer clearly wanted to mentor her.

Blake had two solid choices in Chloe Kohanski and Keisha Renee.  And then, he had . . . Red Marlow, even though Mitchell Lee was right there.

Season 14

To answer why Adam picked Jackie Verna, he outright said that he'd heard a country song recently that he'd wanted to give to her.  Still, dropping her for Reid Umstattd and Drew Cole and Mia Boostrom?!  Although that season's Playoff format did screw Adam quite a bit, that moment was his own.  An unforced error, if you will.  He was guaranteed to wipe out after that.

Alicia's team was so stacked, she couldn't have gone wrong with anyone.  As sad as I personally was to see her drop Terrence Cunningham, he really had declined, while Christiana Danielle had stayed mostly steady, solid, and strong.  So it made sense.

Kelly dropping Tish Haynes Keys and Dylan Hartigan for D.R. King.  Alexa pretty much no chance once Kelly had her teen girl in Brynn.  But Dylan, while he bombed both Playoffs nights, was still the third-most popular member of Team Kelly.  (I remember the Twitter stats.  He was so close behind Kaleb Lee throughout both nights.)  And Tish could've fulfilled the big-voiced woman lane that Kelly seems to like.  D.R. . . . it was clear to me that no one was feeling him.  I just don't get why Kelly didn't see it.

Agreed that Blake dropping WILKES for Spensha Baker was a real WTF?! move.  But he'd had success with Keisha Renee in the black female country singer lane the season before, so I guess he figured that he could do it again with Spensha.  And Spensha did improve and go farther, so . . . perhaps he was on to something.

Season 15

Adam dropping Kameron Marlow and RADHA for Tyke James.  Yes.  Stupid choice.  (Steve Memmolo was pretty much out of it.)

No issue with Kelly picking Kymberli Joye over Abby Cates or any of the others.  She was just the best choice there and had done the best job in that round over then.

I was all right with Jennifer picking SandyRedd.  Patrique Fortson would've been the only other acceptable choice, since Franc West and Colton Smith had both been average to poor that night.

Blake picking Dave Fenley over Michael Lee.  I mean . . .

Season 16

Really, thanks to the DeAndre Nico/Reagan Strange debacle in the previous season, Adam was doomed no matter what he did, so any of Mari, Domenic Haynes, Betsy Ade, or Kalvin Jarvis wouldn't helped him.

John dropping Lisa Ramey for Celia Babini.  Enough said.

I actually don't have the problem with Kelly picking Jej Vinson that others do.  Her whole team pretty much flopped that night (might've been nerves), so just pick the one who'd had immense popularity from the start.

Blake had a treasure trove of artists thanks to that season's Playoff format and the Cross-Battles ending up in his favor.  But it was still somewhat shocking to see Battle steal Oliv Blu get the nod over original members Selkii and Kendra Checketts.

Season 17

I don't have an issue with Kelly dropping Damali.  She wasn't going to win, anyway.  But picking Shane Q over Hello Sunday was a bit surprising.  It worked out for Hello Sunday, anyway, since they won the Wild Card and still outlasted Shane, but still . . .

If Jake HaldenVang and Kyndal Inskeep hadn't bombed the way they did in the Playoffs, I'd have had an issue with Gwen choosing Myracle Holloway over them.  But Myracle was the only other one besides Rose Short and Joana Martinez (the two voted through, by the way) who'd been solid that night.  So her choice made sense.

John picking Will Breman over Khalea Lynee.  Though he might've been on to something, since Will did prove to be popular, even if he wasn't always consistent, while Khalea, while consistent, had proven fairly unpopular.  So much so, that Alex Guthrie got the Wild Card vote over her.

Blake picking Cali Wilson over Gracee Shriver, as others have said.  The country female artist lane was over, and he kept his devotion to his original members.  Plus, with the homophobic voters out in full force, there was no way Cali was going to get far.

Season 18

Kelly's choice of Megan Danielle made sense, so no issue there, especially after the rest of her team underperformed.

Nick's choice of Allegra Miles also had merit, as the rest of his team had bombed, too.

John couldn't go wrong with Zan Fiskum, though I was shocked (though pleasantly so) that he finally let go of Mandi Castillo over her.

Blake's popularity was going to help him no matter whom he chose, so Toneisha Harris was pretty obvious, even over Joanna Serenko, who won the Wild Card vote, anyway.

Whew.  A lot to note, but those are my picks.

1 hour ago, Grey_Raine said:

Damali deserved to be in the Top 13?

Everyone DOES remember that she had an incredibly poor song choice for that round, and was also more than likely the lowest overall vote getter, right?

Team Kelly's two least tragic members had gotten the public vote, so it's not like there was really a sensible choice among the three remaining - plus going off her past history of doing well with younger female artists, Damali made more sense to me than Shane Q despite her being a one-chair turn to Shane's four chairs.

18 hours ago, Grey_Raine said:

Damali deserved to be in the Top 13?

Everyone DOES remember that she had an incredibly poor song choice for that round, and was also more than likely the lowest overall vote getter, right?

Out of HS, Damali and Shane you don´t really have much of a good option honestly, but I would have gone with Shane as well just because of his blind and battle, which were good , while the others hadn´t had that good moments yet.

10 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Out of HS, Damali and Shane you don´t really have much of a good option honestly, but I would have gone with Shane as well just because of his blind and battle, which were good , while the others hadn´t had that good moments yet.

None of them did good on that night. Damali and HS were kinda hated for their battle and many thought they shouldn't have turned a chair so I see why Kelly chose Shane over them even if Damali and HS had much better knockout performances. Also, if Kelly chose HS for the save, I don't think they would've lasted as long. All by Myself really was their standout moment

On 8/24/2020 at 11:19 PM, VintageVoice said:

Alicia picking Christiana Danielle over the others on her team - I love Christiana, but given Terrence's blind was the most popular of the season and the fact that Johnny is a big-voiced bilingual artist, I was surprised by the pick.

Terrence wasn't really popular in the latter rounds, fans hated him for just doing safe performances. While Johnny's KO is super solid, he was unfortunately receiving poor support that time, so it made sense why Christiana was chosen, she had a pretty consistent pre-lives and fans love her unique voice.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

Terrence wasn't really popular in the latter rounds, fans hated him for just doing safe performances. While Johnny's KO is super solid, he was unfortunately receiving poor support that time, so it made sense why Christiana was chosen, she had a pretty consistent pre-lives and fans love her unique voice.

I definitely get Alicia's logic, so it was a pleasant shock rather than an unpleasant one - like, say, Adam picking Tyke in S15.