The Voice Australia Season 9

Teraginn

Tonight's episode had some great moments! Stellar and Matt were fantastic, Stellar just solidified her position as a frontrunner and my personal favorite this season ❤️

Siala and Despina were amazing! George with the A+ songchoice, glad both of them are through.

Claudia and Maddy were so nervous but there were some lovey moments there, and Delta's really bringing it with the songchoices this season.

Roxane properly ate Ricky alive, and Bo'Ness were adorable tbh lol

The Old Town Road thing... was a mess. Guy's team's a mess.

And the promo for next week showed it's Matt vs. Janie 😭 we know already both of them are most likely through, but I really hope they both stay on Delta's team. But between them and Jesse vs. Steve, I can see Delta's moment of just not being able to choose a winner being for either one of these battles.

(And both Matt and Jesse confirmed they're on next Sunday)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dioko said:

And the promo for next week showed it's Matt vs. Janie 

What is the twist that they're talking about for next week? Is Delta forming a duo or something?

Edited by anonymouskid_35
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

What is the twist that they're talking about for next week? Is Delta forming a duo or something?

Also, so that means it is Emmagen vs. that kinda joke guy right? Great, just great. I thought for sure they were fodders 😑

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

It shows Delta talking to producers about just not being able to choose a winner, my guess is she takes both artists through without declaring a winner with that counting as her last save.

Edited by dioko

My thoughts for this episode

Bolded are my personal winners.

Despina vs Siala : This is definitely not my cup of tea, but it's a very good match up. I gotta be honest, I couldn't finish watching their performance, their style of singing makes me cringe. Couldn't pick a winner between the two and also can't understand why both had to stay.

Maddy Thomas vs Claudia : Claudia was the clear winner on this one. She was much more consistent and that head voice was very beautiful. 

Wolf vs Xy latu vs Natalie Gauci : First of all, why this song LMAO. I'm a fan of Wolf, but I have to give this one to Xy latu, he did the best vocally. Wolf had clear advantage from the song choice, but his vocals were pretty rough. About Natalie, she had no chance and deserved better. I'm happy that Wolf got through, but sad to see Xy didn't get the save he deserved.

Charlie vs Bo'Ness : Thought the battle was a bit awkward. There's part where Charlie's vocals were pretty shaky, so I'll give this one to Bo'Ness.

Roxanne vs Ricky Muscat : Ricky improved so much, but Roxanne slayed and dominated this battle.

Stellar vs Matt Gresham : I think it was an even battle. I was expecting more, but it was still a good battle. Stellar did better vocally, but I just can't ignore Matt's gorgeous tone on this song. Happy that both got through.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dioko said:

It shows Delta talking to producers about just not being able to choose a winner, my guess is she takes both artists through without declaring a winner with that counting as her last save.

I really hope that's it and they didn't make Delta do something more controversial. Enough of the drama this season!

Battles 2 commentary. Bolded are my picks for winners, italics are worthy of a save. All in all, I enjoy tonight more than last night. 

1. Stellar vs Matt: Pretty sure Stellar's TCO to win now, if that hasn't been clear enough since the auditions. I didn't think she could top her audition but she might have just done that right here. Matt did a good job too, but there was no way he was gonna win this one. He managed to keep up with Stellar for the most part but his voice falters every now and then. I'm glad he's still in but I'm not sure how to feel about him being on Guy's team.

2. Despina vs Siala: Both are much better than I remember them to be, and the song choice fits them perfectly. One aspect they can improve, though, is diction. I'm giving the win to Despina here because while Siala is also good in this battle, I have a feeling that she doesn't have much versatility going forward, while Despina seems to be able to tackle a more variety of songs. But I'm open to be proven wrong. 

3. Charlie vs Bo'Ness: I find Charlie to be more reserved and timid on stage while Bo'Ness have more personality. They are also very likeable. Vocal-wise, I enjoy this battle. While Charlie is the type of voice that I prefer, I'd give it to the duo for their harmonies and presence.

4. Roxane vs Ricky: Simply put, Roxane ate Ricky alive. When they're singing together, you can barely hear him. Not necessarily because she's louder (which she is), but her voice is tailor-made for the song. She's also a more natural performer on stage. I believe this battle is a done deal before they even sang a note. Poor Ricky, at least he tried.

5. Maddy vs Claudia: I expected to like this battle but then I just didn't. At least not as much as I wanted to. They took too much liberty with the melody that it really threw me off. Claudia is the clear winner though; her head voice is really pretty. Maddy's decent too but she's not as polished. That'll come with experience.

6. Xy vs Nataie vs Wolf: What a joke of a song that didn't do anyone any favor. Vocally, Xy was the most consistent from start to finish, while Wolf was pretty much all over the place. I don't even know what to say about Natalie... she was there? I can see her trying to establish herself within the performance but like Kelly said, she was done the dirtiest by that song. I don't really get why Wolf wins to be honest, since his singing here just sounds like aimless and desperate bellowing. 

I think all the right decisions were made tonight and some of those from the middle of the pack are starting to rise.

1. Siala Robson (8.5) vs. Despina Savva (8.5) - This was such a wise song choice from George! It forced both of them to show what they didn't in their blinds and I loved it! Despina's more of a vocalist than Siala, but what Siala brings to the song is just so special. This was a very deserving save and both of them did fantastic!

2. Stellar Perry (8.5) vs. Matt Gresham (8) - A strong performance from both, but I think I prefer both of their auditions. This was clearly set up for Stellar to win and she did a fantastic job, but Matt took the song that I imagine wasn't really in his wheelhouse and did great as well. Good to see both of them move through.

3. Bo'Ness (7.5) vs. Charlie McFarlane (7.5) - This was super even for most of the song but I think Bo'Ness took it by just a hair by the end. Their rendition didn't pack too much power, but it was overall satisfactory. I'm don't think the brothers have much of a chance moving forward, but I think that Kelly did pretty well with them on this song since I think they're one of the acts in the top 48 that need the most guidance overall. The twin stumbling on stage was pretty funny, too lol.

4. Roxane LeBrasse (8) vs. Ricky Muscat (6.5) - I imagine this was the easiest decision from the night. Even with the unusual song choice for Ricky, I see what George was going for but I don't think Ricky was up for it at all. He brought the same energy from his blinds - which was nothing. Roxane stepped it up for sure and I'm glad to see she was able to prove more of what she was capable of.

5. Claudia Harrison (7.5) vs. Maddy Thomas (7) - This is one of my all-time favorite songs and I didn't mind the changes they made to the song, but it didn't quite hit the mark for me. Claudia was clearly superior and sounded more comfortable than Maddy. Ultimately a forgettable battle for me, but at least it wasn't completely butchered and was at least a FAIR battle...

6. Wolf Winters (6.5) vs. Xy Latu (6.5) vs. Natalie Gauci (5) - I'll be reasonable - I expected much, much worse. It feels like Guy intended on just doing Wolf vs. Xy but decided to throw Natalie to the wolves (punpunpunpun) for no reason at all. It's so unfortunate because all 3 are obviously fantastic singers. I think on a technical level, Xy was the most comfortable here but didn't take it anywhere else. Wolf stayed pretty much within his comfort zone but it was better to hear, Natalie's part here was just karaoke. It just felt like drunken karaoke, but that's Guy's fault for picking the song, not theirs. What a shame. I do think he picked the right winner based on the performance, however.

1. Jesse Teinaki (Delta)

2. Caleb Jago-Ward (George)

3. Clarissa Spata (George Delta)

4. Matt Evans (Delta)

5. Stellar Perry (Delta; =)

6. Chris Sebastian (Kelly)

7. Wolf Winters (Guy; =)

8. Sapphire Tamalemai (Kelly)

9. Steve Clisby (Delta)

10. Janie Gordon (Delta)

11. Adam Ludewig (Guy)

12. Elyse Sene-Lefao (Guy)

Standby:

13. Matt Gresham (Delta; 😃

14. Johnny Manuel (Guy)

15. Siala Robson (George; NEWLY ADDED)

16. Despina Savva (George Kelly; NEWLY ADDED)

17. Roxane LeBrasse (George; up 2 from 19)

18. Lyric McFarland (Kelly)

19. Soma Sutton (Kelly Guy)

20. Bo'Ness (Kelly; down 3 from 17)

21. Graeme Isaako (Delta)

22. Virginia Lillye (George)

23. Alex Weybury (Kelly )

24. Stephanie Cole (Guy)

25. Angela Fabian (George)

26. Nathan Isaac (George)

ELIMINATED/REMOVED:

21. Xy Latu (Guy)

I'm dreading next week because 9 of my top 12 still haven't gone, there's 3 saves left... and 8 of the 9 are paired up against each other lol (Jesse/Steve, Matt/Janie, Adam/Elyse, and Chris/Sapphire). Here's to Caleb for being the reliable one with an easier pairing.

10 minutes ago, CufaFanvoice26 said:

What do you think about Elyse? Because she was one of my favorite auditions of the season, but against Adam I don't know how she'll do, hopefully she'll win or advance somehow.

I'm a fan! She was unexpectedly strong in her blind.

I believe Adam won based on a spoiler that Rach88 gave us, but I do hope that she gets stolen.

1 hour ago, Someone648 said:

I'm dreading next week because 9 of my top 12 still haven't gone, there's 3 saves left... and 8 of the 9 are paired up against each other lol (Jesse/Steve, Matt/Janie, Adam/Elyse, and Chris/Sapphire). Here's to Caleb for being the reliable one with an easier pairing.

Watch them use a save on Sebastian Coe lmao

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Rach88 said:

Anybody have spoilers as to what the twist is next week? I could see Matt Evans and a girl (not sure who it was)? My guess is maybe she'll form a duo?

That’s what I would guess. Maybe she wants to move both forward and eliminate an extra person next round like guy did this round also.

So Battles next week are

Adam Ludewig vs Elyse Seno

Josh Pywell vs Jimi the Kween

Timothy Bowen vs Luke Biscan

Janie Gordon vs Matt Evans

Jesse Teinaki vs Steve Clisby

Emmagen Rain vs Callum Gleeson

Sebastian Coe vs Nathan Issak

Caleb Jago Ward vs Andy Dexterity

Angela Fabian vs Jonathon Welch

Chris Sebastian vs Sapphire T

Ella Monnery vs Masha Mnjoyan

Emma Mylott vs Mark Furze

1 hour ago, thevoiceisthetop said:

So Battles next week are

Adam Ludewig vs Elyse Seno

Josh Pywell vs Jimi the Kween

Timothy Bowen vs Luke Biscan

Janie Gordon vs Matt Evans

Jesse Teinaki vs Steve Clisby

Emmagen Rain vs Callum Gleeson

Sebastian Coe vs Nathan Issak

Caleb Jago Ward vs Andy Dexterity

Angela Fabian vs Jonathon Welch

Chris Sebastian vs Sapphire T

Ella Monnery vs Masha Mnjoyan

Emma Mylott vs Mark Furze

This lineup looks much more promising than this week's.

13 hours ago, antikid said:

I really hope that's it and they didn't make Delta do something more controversial. Enough of the drama this season!

I do agree that it's most likely her choosing to take them both through - Janie and Matt would make a very unlikely duo so she wouldn't pair them up.

Depending on whether George steals someone on Sunday or leaves it until the last ep of battles, I don't think the decision will be too controversial.

Kelly and Guy have already used up their 2 saves and I highly doubt George is wanting to save either Janie or Matt.

I'm so torn about Steve Clisby being out so quickly!! Jesse will definitely win in that battle - I don't see Steve winning it especially since Jesse was such a recent All-Star and there's obviously a lot of love for him, especially now that Natasha passed away. 

4 hours ago, B-B said:

Bukhu was robbed ugh. I hate Guy

He's also quite rude, I didn't like what he said to Mason Lloyde. What an arrogant mess of a coach. I hope Johnny gets stolen before the lives cause i see Guy not making the finals again. 

Just now, Theleaguan said:

He's also quite rude, I didn't like what he said to Mason Lloyde. What an arrogant mess of a coach. I hope Johnny gets stolen before the lives cause i see Guy not making the finals again. 

He's certainly made some very questionable song choices, however just based on Johnny and Adam's talent/voices they will be contenders to make it into the grand finale. Both don't have the same 'baggage' as Jack Vidgen and it really seems like Johnny's a favourite.

Unfortunately, the next rounds don't allow for swapping contestants. I think they get wildcards after playoffs which is just picking a contestant from their own team who didn't win their playoff.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rach88 said:

Both don't have the same 'baggage' as Jack Vidgen and it really seems like Johnny's a favourite.

Yeah gotta agree though, and for me Johnny is way better than Jack for some reason. But scary thing is Guy might pick bad song choices for Johnny, and even though he's a favorite right now, this might result him falling short in the Finale. 

But yeah I guess I really can't tell who's gonna take it all. Stellar seems a pretty pimped artist, however there's just many who can take the crown this year, it all just matters on the consistency and song choices

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Theleaguan said:

didn't like what he said to Mason Lloyde.

Yeah, I got the chance to talk to Mason, and he told all of the happenings that were showed in the tv, is what really happened in the show. He said that he just wanted to explain that he can be what they want him to be, and others took it just bad and made him sound like rude, when in fact, Guy's should be the one to blame.

I am reading the comments on FB, and I gotta say, Guy's a favorite of them, they're defending him continuously 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

Yeah gotta agree though, and for me Johnny is way better than Jack for some reason. But scary thing is Guy might pick bad song choices for Johnny, and even though he's a favorite right now, this might result him falling short in the Finale. 

But yeah I guess I really can't tell who's gonna take it all. Stellar seems a pretty pimped artist, however there's just many who can take the crown this year, it all just matters on the consistency and song choices

Absolutely! I do remember Guy screwed around with his artists last year in the finals when there were some strong contenders on his team to win. Johnny just seems so unproblematic and his voice suits so many different genres.

I think Stellar's got a good chance! Her vocals are so strong but she also has so much rawness and emotion in her voice as well. If Delta gives her the right song choices like Boy George did for Diana, I can definitely see her winning or at least making it right till the end. I do think the winner will be from Delta or Guy's team - there's no-one I've seen so far from George and Kelly's teams that really stands out yet. 

4 minutes ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

Yeah, I got the chance to talk to Mason, and he told all of the happenings that were showed in the tv, is what really happened in the show. He said that he just wanted to explain that he can be what they want him to be, and others took it just bad and made him sound like rude, when in fact, Guy's should be the one to blame.

I am reading the comments on FB, and I gotta say, Guy's a favorite of them, they're defending him continuously 😂

Guy seems to be the can-do-no-wrong coach in a lot of people's eyes! Maybe it's because he doesn't have as strong a personality as the other 3, so Aussies like the laid-back persona. Facebook definitely seems to be on his side but Twitter was absolutely slamming him on Sunday.

I think what Mason said was fine - Darren had asked if he had anything to say to the coaches before they chose whether or not to save him. Seeing as they criticised the way he performed and felt like he wasn't giving it everything, it makes sense that he wants a coach to teach him how to be more 'passionate'.

In my opinion, that's definitely something you can teach - you could see Delta teaching the girls last night how to be more confident and look as they were meant to be up onstage. Maybe because Mason's a bit 'older', they thought it wasn't possible? Age doesn't necessarily equal experience though.

Interesting to see how snarky Guy was last night when apologising to his contestants. He should have apologised for his behaviour instead of blaming the other coaches and saying they didn't know what they were saying. I absolutely laughed when the coaches could hear what he was saying!

I found it annoying that they ended the episode on Sunday with Kelly walking off. I know it's all for the drama and ratings, but it made Kelly look like such a villain, when in fact she had literally left for a few moments to say that the whole fight was pointless and that they should all just move on. 

I wonder what the so-called 'twist' will be - it'll most likely just be Delta picking both of them to move on, seeing as she still has 1 save left. Can't wait to see what everyone's reactions will be 😅 - I think it'll be fine seeing as Kelly and Guy have used up both their saves and George only has 1 left.