The Voice Australia Season 9

Teraginn

9 hours ago, Someone648 said:

Songs for tonight:

Siala Robson vs. Despina Savva - Teenage Fantasy (Jorja Smith)

Stellar Perry vs. Matt Gresham - Slide Away (Miley Cyrus)

Claudia Harrison vs. Maddy Thomas - Dreams (TBA - can’t hear the preview)

Natalie Gauci vs. Wolf Winters vs. Xy Latu - Old Town Road (I really wish I was joking)

Roxane Lebrasse vs. Ricky Muscat - Queen of the Night

Charlie McFarlanevs. Bo’Ness - Circles (Post Malone)

Loved watching Stellar and Matt's battle preview!!! They're both powerhouses and I'm really looking forward to that song choice.

Wtf was Guy thinking???? Old Town Road definitely suits Wolf WInters in that low register - I can see him doing the 'horses in the back' part but that's a shit song choice for the other 2. Judging from the promos it's another thing all the other coaches disagree on. 

7 hours ago, dioko said:

So Delta posted a picture with her team on instagram and tagged everyone... except Callum LMAO

Haha I don't think she knows he has an Instagram - she follows all of her artists except him. Also note that she followed Clarissa and Bo'Ness - maybe that's her other save?

An interesting start to battles... most of the contestants tonight were ones that I initially thought were fodder tbh.

1. Virginia Lillye (8) vs. Clarissa Spata (9) - Props to both of them for making this memorable! Obviously the song was set more for Virginia, but Clarissa definitely gave 100%. Ranking them individually, you can tell Clarissa was stronger in terms of doing what she needed to do. I feel that on Virginia's part, she could've done slightly better on some lines, which is why I give this win to Clarissa, but it definitely exceeded my expectations from Virginia! Onto the standby team she goes!

2. Stephanie Cole (8.5) vs. Kirby Burgess (7.5) - I went into this battle thinking both of them were fodder with Stephanie having a mediocre audition and Kirby being too theatrical and they both did better than I thought they would. I was especially impressed by Stephanie here. She was much stronger than her audition. I could see her being Guy's lone female contender going into lives now (I'm not too confident about Natalie at the moment, Elyse likely lost to Adam but I hope she got stolen, and Soma doesn't seem to have too much of a chance.)

3. Graeme Isaako (8) vs. Elishia Semaan (7) - Coming in from their blinds, the bar I had for them in terms of vocal abilities was a bit low. I still can't judge this one as much on vocals but they both performed the hell out Dirrty and I definitely enjoyed it! I think Graeme was superior and I'm glad he won. Elishia did great as well and made it fun, but I don't think that this battle in particular needed a save. She's out during the next round for sure. I hope her save doesn't mean that somebody gets robbed in a later round.

4. Alex Weybury (8) vs. Mason Lloyde (7.5) - Really solid although Noah Reid outsold. I was hoping for a bigger finish, but it was mostly even throughout. Alex just sounded a tad bit better, I can't really explain why. Overall, I still feel the same about Alex. Not too impressed, but I just need to hear something different from him.

5. Lyric McFarland (7) vs. Soma Sutton (7) - Love both of these ladies but it didn't feel like either of them brought it here. Pretty disappointing. I'm a fan of Soma's unique voice, but she didn't really go anywhere here. As for Lyric, I was anticipating her to stomp over Soma but that didn't happen either. For now, I'm glad that we'll get another opportunity to hear from both of them, but I'm not sure whether or not this save was worth it.

6. Johnny Manuel (8.5) vs. Bukhu Ganburged (5) - Yeah, Johnny was fantastic here but it was clearly unfair and should have never happened. Bukhu's on the wrong show and was obviously difficult to pair up with anyone else, but Guy didn't even try to make this appear remotely even. Shame on Guy. Still props to Johnny for doing great here though.

Updated My Team:

1. Jesse Teinaki (Delta)

2. Caleb Jago-Ward (George)

3. Clarissa Spata (George Delta; = )

4. Matt Evans (Delta)

5. Stellar Perry (Delta)

6. Chris Sebastian (Kelly)

7. Wolf Winters (Guy)

8. Sapphire Tamalemai (Kelly)

9. Steve Clisby (Delta)

10. Janie Gordon (Delta)

11. Adam Ludewig (Guy)

12. Elyse Sene-Lefao (Guy)

Standby:

13. Matt Gresham (Delta)

14. Johnny Manuel (Guy; up 7 from 21)

15. Lyric McFarland (Kelly; = )

16. Soma Sutton (Kelly Guy; down 2 from 14)

17. Bo'Ness (Kelly)

18. Graeme Isaako (Delta; up 1 from 19)

19. Roxane LeBrasse (George)

20. Virginia Lillye (George; NEWLY ADDED)

21. Xy Latu (Guy)

22. Alex Weybury (Kelly; = )

23. Stephanie Cole (Guy; NEWLY ADDED)

24. Angela Fabian (George)

25. Nathan Isaac (George)

ELIM:

20. Mason Lloyde (Kelly)

Edited by Someone648
  • Like 1

I'm so excited for Delta's team tonight:

Stellar vs Matt singing Miley Cyrus' Slide Away - their promo sounded epic! Stellar will definitely win but it'll be interesting to see if anyone saves him

Claudia vs Maddy singing Dreams - I can't see Maddy winning this against Claudia but I could be proven wrong! Just glad that Claudia and Janie weren't battling against each other, they seemed to be the likely pairing but I like them both too much for one of them to be gone this early!

Guy's 3-way battle will be very interesting. Wolf will definitely be the winner - but the song choice is questionable if Old Town Road really is their song. Natalie and Xy are not country/rap sounding at all, but Wolf's voice will fit perfectly. I can already imagine him singing the 'I got the horses in the back...' part

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rach88 said:

I'm so excited for Delta's team tonight:

Stellar vs Matt singing Miley Cyrus' Slide Away - their promo sounded epic! Stellar will definitely win but it'll be interesting to see if anyone saves him

Claudia vs Maddy singing Dreams - I can't see Maddy winning this against Claudia but I could be proven wrong! Just glad that Claudia and Janie weren't battling against each other, they seemed to be the likely pairing but I like them both too much for one of them to be gone this early!

Guy's 3-way battle will be very interesting. Wolf will definitely be the winner - but the song choice is questionable if Old Town Road really is their song. Natalie and Xy are not country/rap sounding at all, but Wolf's voice will fit perfectly. I can already imagine him singing the 'I got the horses in the back...' part

That would be sad because I really like Xy and Natalie, hope that someone saves them !!! But yeah Wolf is also amazing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Battles Part 1 Commentary!

Team George - Virginia Lillye vs. Clarissa Spata - "Call Me" by Blondie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cSK5FCaYhQ

A great start to the battles! Definitely the most out-of-the-box song choice of the night, especially for Clarissa. I appreciated that Clarissa preserved her operatic voice and found a way to make it work for this song, and Virginia was so much better here than in her blind. You can't go wrong with either artist.

Personal Winner: Virginia may have the advantage here, but Clarissa was surprisingly fluid and effortless in this song as well. I have to give it to Clarissa.

Actual Winner: Virginia  Delta and George Save Clarrisa,  Clarissa joins Team Delta

Can't complain with the results. Delta loves her classical artists, Clarissa will hopefully excel in her team.

Team Delta - Elishia Semann vs. Graeme Isaako - "Dirrty" by Christina Aguilera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIurdr7FgYk

A perfectly fine, entertaining performance. The dance break was just the right length, and the artists had some cool vocal moments throughout. Would I be replaying this battle anytime soon? Not at all. But it was great. Bonus points for the fresh song choice.

Personal Winner: It was a pretty even battle, but Graeme grabbed my attention more than Elishia, so I'd go for Graeme.

Actual Winner: Graeme, Kelly saves Elishia, Elishia joins Team Kelly

Ooh..... I mean, great for Elishia getting a save, but I think there are a lot more artists still ahead who may benefit more from a save than her. Hope we don't have any big shockers in the next episodes.

Team Kelly - Mason Lloyde vs. Alex Weybury - "(Simply) The Best" by Tina Turner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFLtXR_VEkA

On paper, this seems like a great matchup. And for what it's worth, the performance was really good and showcased their tones well. But for some reason this was pretty underwhelming. Was it Bandzilla rearing its ugly head? Was it the arrangement being too slow for my liking? Or maybe it's the whole thing being overshadowed by Noah Reid's version from Schitt's Creek, which I was expecting when I heard the song choice? Yeah, it's probably that.

Personal Winner: Alex was consistent here, though he didn't really break new ground. Going for Alex.

Actual Winner: Alex, No save for Mason

Nailed it. NEXT!

Team Guy -  Kirby Burgess vs. Stephanie Cole - "Scared To Be Lonely" by Martin Garrix feat. Dua Lipa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn9RiBv62yg

Oof.... I really liked Kirby's audition, but she was out of her element here. Her theatricality did not play well with the pop-iness of the song choice. Stephanie on the other hand felt right at home. All in all, forgettable battle.

Personal Winner: Sorry Kirby, but I have to go with Stephanie.

Actual Winner: Stephanie, No save for Kirby

No complaints. 

Team Kelly - Lyric McFarland vs. Soma Sutton - "Rehab" by Amy Winehouse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6qGBpPld6U

I like the song choice for both of them. Lyric sounds much smoother here compared to her audition. Soma is being Soma, and for what it's worth, I like the sultriness of her voice for this song. She just has a very meek stage presence for such a unique tone. Lyric on the other hand, came off as assured but tentative.

Personal Winner: It's interesting. My head wants to go for Lyric, who had the better vocals, but Soma is just more intriguing and memorable than her. I just feel like Soma will pale in comparison to the other unique AND vocally impressive contestants this season. Going for Lyric.

Actual Winner: Lyric, Guy saves Soma, Soma joins Team Guy

Oof, another questionable save for me. Especially since Guy has so many people on his team that might need a save. 

Team Guy - Bukhu Ganburged vs. Johnny Manuel - Earth Song by Michael Jackson 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gbZh-CbdkA

Oh man, where to start..... the song was a good one on paper because it has plenty of moments where BOTH artists could showcase his talent. Bukhu clearly can sing more traditionally, he could have started the first verse normally and did his throat singing during the chorus like he did in actuality. But for some reason, Guy completely turned him into background accompaniment for Johnny.  That alone is shady AF, but Guy's defensiveness and nonsensical comments when the other coaches rightly point out the imbalance of the battles was just in poor taste. They are really giving him the villain edit this season, which I guess is the show's way of giving him a personality, because he's pretty bland compared to the other coaches. That being said, I fully believe this is all pre-planned and in the script for this season. Why else would they not show the results till tomorrow? Hope Guy is getting paid enough for all the heat coming his way.

Personal Winner: Johnny by default, although what little of Bukhu's throat singing I heard didn't impress me either.

A pretty uneven episode to say the least, but I will say there is improvement with the artists across the board, except maybe Bukhu, who we barely heard. Hopefully tomorrow will have a better lineup.

PERSONAL TEAM STANDINGS:

Green means they won their battle, Red means they lost, Orange means they lost but got saved.

Stellar Perry vs. Alex Weybury

Matt Gresham vs. Timothy James Bowen

Clarissa Spata vs. Claudia Harrison

Mark Furze vs. Jesse Teinaki

Elyse Sene-Lefao vs. Kirby Burgess

Caleb Jago-Ward vs. Johnny Manuel

No matchups can be decided as of now, we will know the results of at least two pairings tonight!

Edited by mjdolorico
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, mjdolorico said:

Team Guy - Bukhu Gangburged vs. Johnny Manuel - Earth Song by Michael Jackson 

Oh man, where to start..... the song was a good one on paper because it has plenty of moments where BOTH artists could showcase his talent. Bukhu clearly can sing more traditionally, he could have started the first verse normally and did his throat singing during the chorus like he did in actuality. But for some reason, Guy completely turned him into background accompaniment for Johnny.  That alone is shady AF, but Guy's defensiveness and nonsensical comments when the other coaches rightly point out the imbalance of the battles was just in poor taste. They are really giving him the villain edit this season, which I guess is the show's way of giving him a personality, because he's pretty bland compared to the other coaches. That being said, I fully believe this is all pre-planned and in the script for this season. Why else would they not show the results till tomorrow? Hope Guy is getting paid enough for all the heat coming his way.

I have got to say your comments pretty much hit the nail on the head!! It was a pretty underwhelming night of battles for me, but tonight there's some interesting battles with great voices.

Totally agree that Bukhu should have started without any accompaniment - he only needed a verse to really assert his place in the battle but wasn't even given that by Guy. The more Guy tried to defend himself the worse it became for him

Making it a TV moment rather than a competition? That tells us Bukhu had no chance of winning and was purely there for entertainment.

Saying that Bukhu didn't put his hand up wanting to sing more and didn't label himself as a 'pop' artist - Guy, your job is to mentor them, you should have given them fair playing ground instead of relying on Bukhu to speak up for himself when it's his first time having any face-to-face contact with you. Nobody was labelling Bukhu as a pop artist, the coaches were only saying that the battle was imbalanced because Bukhu only got to sing a few measly lines in the middle whilst Johnny sang pretty much the whole song.

• Like 1

I'm listening to the studio version of Natalie/Xy/Wolf on Spotify

Covering Mouth GIFs | Tenor

(RIP anyone expecting Natalie to go through)

Also Claudia vs. Maddy is The Cranberries' Dreams. So Delta continues to have taste.

Edited by Someone648
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Rach88 said:

I have got to say your comments pretty much hit the nail on the head!! It was a pretty underwhelming night of battles for me, but tonight there's some interesting battles with great voices.

Totally agree that Bukhu should have started without any accompaniment - he only needed a verse to really assert his place in the battle but wasn't even given that by Guy. The more Guy tried to defend himself the worse it became for him

Making it a TV moment rather than a competition? That tells us Bukhu had no chance of winning and was purely there for entertainment.

Saying that Bukhu didn't put his hand up wanting to sing more and didn't label himself as a 'pop' artist - Guy, your job is to mentor them, you should have given them fair playing ground instead of relying on Bukhu to speak up for himself when it's his first time having any face-to-face contact with you. Nobody was labelling Bukhu as a pop artist, the coaches were only saying that the battle was imbalanced because Bukhu only got to sing a few measly lines in the middle whilst Johnny sang pretty much the whole song.

Guy just kept digging himself deeper with every defensive comment he's making, and it's cringeworthy and hilarious at the same time. He definitely got his TV moment, just not with the battle itself. 😅

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

I'm listening to the studio version of Natalie/Xy/Wolf on Spotify

Covering Mouth GIFs | Tenor

(RIP anyone expecting Natalie to go through)

Also Claudia vs. Maddy is The Cranberries' Dreams. So Delta continues to have taste.

Man.... Guy really does suck as a coach huh? What a shame.

Delta on the other hand.... between her battle last night and Stellar vs. Matt... she remains the best coach.

• Like 1

Just now, mjdolorico said:

Guy just kept digging himself deeper with every defensive comment he's making, and it's cringeworthy and hilarious at the same time. He definitely got his TV moment, just not with the battle itself. 😅

He flat out said that he didn't turn for Bukhu for his voice :haha:

Poor Bukhu. He deserved a better coach. Delta or George would've done right by him (or at least tried). Kelly might've tried too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, mjdolorico said:

Man.... Guy really does suck as a coach huh? What a shame.

Delta on the other hand.... between her battle last night and Stellar vs. Matt... she remains the best coach.

Delta stays winning. Even the contestants I thought were her fodder are killing it, too.

There's no way Stellar's going anywhere, but I need Jesse and both Matts to go through to the next round (although Matt Evans doesn't seem to be getting that much love on here)

Janie and Steve deserve it, too. God she's stacked this year. And now she stole Clarissa. Her whole team has my heart. :haha:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

Delta stays winning. Even the contestants I thought were her fodder are killing it, too.

There's no way Stellar's going anywhere, but I need Jesse and both Matts to go through to the next round (although Matt Evans doesn't seem to be getting that much love on here)

Janie and Steve deserve it, too. God she's stacked this year. And now she stole Clarissa. Her whole team has my heart. :haha:

I would die for a Top 4 of Clarissa, Stellar, Jesse and Matt G on her team.

If one of them has to go, they can be replaced by Timothy, who I hope will get out of that sinking boat that is Guy's team. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Someone648 said:

Poor Bukhu. He deserved a better coach. Delta or George would've done right by him (or at least tried). Kelly might've tried too.

Exactly! It would have been a difficult battle for any coach, but it was worth an attempt by Guy - Kelly's battle with the opera singer and rapper last year was a great example.

Guy didn't even try with Bukhu, he let Johnny shine and Bukhu was his accompaniment

• Like 1

Oh gosh just looking at the promo again for the battle (and knowing how that awful 3-way battle sounds) - I'm getting a bit confused that the are coaches talking about cheating and how there's 3 people in the battle. Of course Guy was going to have a 3-way battle - the main problem is more so that the song choice clearly didn't suit some of the contestants. Perhaps they've cut bits and pieces of the coaches arguing but Guy has shown once again this season that no matter how strong your team is after the blind auditions, crap song choices can ruin your entire team.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Honestly, I really like Delta, I mean, even though her team wasn't the strongest at the start, she always manage to have a powerful finalists at the end. It would be good if Guy will be replaced next season, as much as I love him as a person, he really have a bad role as a coach 😬

• Like 5

I really felt for Natalie in particular because I believe that even if you don't win you have an ability to expose others to your music, and I feel like Natalie didn't really get to do that because unlike XY she didn't have a great audition.

after battles night 2

Guy

Stephanie colE

Johnny  Manuel 

Wolf winters 

soma sutton 

Matt Evans 

delta

Graemo Isaako 

Claudia Harrison 

stellar Perry 

clarissa Spata 

George 

Virginia lillye 

Siala Robson 

roxane lebrasse 

kelly 

Alex weybury 

lyric McFarland 

Bo’ness
Elishia Semaan 

Despina Savva 

• Like 1

Haven't watched it yet but giving Old Town Road to Natalie? That was a choice.

Anyway, I hope Natalie being on the show give her new exposure & people actually try to sign her. I am glad she was on, after all that went on in her life. 

• Like 1