Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

THE ENDLESS

The_Endless.png

The Endless is a sci-fi horror film released in 2017. The film stars Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead as two brothers (they also play characters with the same first name) who go back and visit a cult they used to be a part of after receiving a video cassette in the mail. Aaron remembers Camp Arcadia (the group's name) as a friendly place, but Justin claims it was a UFO death cult. Nonetheless, Aaron convinces Justin to go back for at least one day. The first day goes by fine enough as they are welcomed back, but the people there apparently have not aged. However, it is when the brothers decide to stay an additional day when strange occurrences start happening. This seems like an interesting film, but I can't say learning about the plot is enough for me to seek out this film to watch. As for what the critics thought of the film, Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 93% approval rating and says, "The Endless benefits from its grounded approach to an increasingly bizarre story, elevated by believable performances by filmmakers Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead." Sorry to any fans, but out it goes from the rankdown.

And I'll save Ben Is Back.

giphy.gif

• Sad 1

Upgrade

UpgradePoster.jpg

I know nothing about this film so I'm the most comfortable cutting it out of the remaining nominations, simple as that. So it's a cyberpunk action film released in 2018, directed and written by Leigh Whannell, about a guy losing his wife and mobility after a mugging, getting implanted with  chip that basically allows him to become way too OP, and goes on a sorta revenge tour. The movie has performances by Logan Marshall-Green, Betty Gabriel, and Harrison Gilbertson. It had a solid critical reception and there are talks about this mavie getting a tv show sequel, so maybe it might be worth watching. As it is, idk the movie so I'm fine cutting it over the remaining nominees,

Save: Amour

STILL ALICE

Still_Alice_-_Movie_Poster.jpg

I saved Selma since Megan was the first one to get to me, and decided to cut Still Alice since it also had a name in it and I assumed it was Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland sequel. According to Wikipedia, I was incorrect, so #oops. At any rate, Still Alice is a drama film from 2014 that stars Julianne Moore as our title character Alice Howard, a linguistics professor who is diagnosed with Alzheimer's after her 50th birthday. The film co-stars Alec Baldwin, Kristen Stewart, Kate Bosworth and Hunter Parrish as her husband and children. Made on just a budge of $4 million, the film received critical praise, with Julianne Moore even receiving nominations and eventual wins for awards. According to the trivia section, she researched Alzheimer's for four months prior to the beginning of production.

SAVE: Selma

Edited by Elliott

Julia’s Eyes

60412546dd9ec81bfa656b79976c4fbdd98d9cbd

I really don't have any preference so I just chose the first two and made a save and cut based those options. :haha: I've never heard of any of the films so there was no preference really. Julia's Eyes was released in 2010 and is a Spanish horror thriller film. I take back what I said. I quick Google search will tell me that I do know the film Never Let Me Go. :haha: Good thing I saved it then. The film was directed by Guillem Morales and written by Morales and Oriol Paulo. It was produced by Guillermo del Toro, Joaquín Padró and Mar Targarona. The film was disturbed by Universal Pictures.  The film was released in Spain and is in Spanish. In Spanish the film translates into Los ojos de Julia. The film has a 90% approval rating on RT. I'm sure the movie is good but I have never seen it so out it goes.

Save: Never Let Me Go

The Kindergarten Teacher

The_Kindergarten_Teacher.jpg

I have never heard of the Kindergarten Teacher let's see what this is about. It came out in 2018. It was directed by Sara Colangelo. It is classified by wiki as a drama. Hmm. It came out on netflix. Now I am a little surprised I do not recognize it. I am always looking through what is available on Netflix. 

This movie stars Maggie Gyllenhaal. It also stars a bunch of other people I am not familiar with, so no listing for them! 

Because of it being a Netflix movie, I have no idea how many people have actually seen it. It does have some generally favorable reviews. It has an 91% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. That is with an average score of 7.4/10. Metacritic has the score of 75/100. Can always rely on those scores being close. 

Did not go too far into the plot because I will probably check this movie out. Sorry to any potential fans. 

Saving Mistress America 

19716d9a-f1c5-40fb-89b8-c345403affcc.png?r=2x1&w=300

source.gif

A musical drama film, Wild Rose was released in 2018 where it was directed by Tom Harper. The movie stars the following actors & actresses : Jessie Buckley, Julie Walters, Sophie Okonedo, Jamie Sives, Craig Parksinson, James Harkness, Janey Godley, Daisy Littlefeld, Ryan Kerr, Adam Mitchell, and Nicole Kerr. The movie was met with positive reviews with Jessie Buckley, the lead actress, receiving a nomination at the BAFTA for Best Actress in a Leading Role.

The movie follows the life of Rose-Lynn Harlan, a single mother of two, who has big dreams of becoming a country singer. She had to deal with a few obstacles to realize her dream - she lost her job in a house band due to the time spent in prison, and her mother telling her to give up to take care of her family. She finds a job as a housemaid where the boss essentially encourage her to chase her dreams. But the dream was short lived and she must go back to working full-time & spend time with her family - luckily for her, her mom soon realize how much the dream of becoming a country singer meant to Rose-Lynn & tell her to go Nashville. Will she make it in Nashville? Watch the movie to find out!

Overall, I have a feeling that I would love this movie - a musical drama with a country music touch to it? Sign me up! I'll definitely check it out - if I had known about the movie before cutting it, I probably would have saved it.  But no big loss - considering the limited release of the movie, this is a good spot.

SAVING: YOUTH