Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

BRIDGE OF SPIES (2015)

KnobbyDazzlingCoral-size_restricted.gif

We're already nominating Grand Budapest Hotel? 🙂 Bridge of Spies is a 2015 thriller and drama movie that stars Tom Hanks, Mark Rylance, Amy Ryan, and Alan Alda. It's set in the Cold War (a topic which usually really interests me) and centers around a lawyer who is tasked with negotiating the release of a US Air Force pilot who is shot down over the Soviet Union. The supposed trade? A Soviet KGB spy held by the US. A relatively interesting plot but I have never had the desire to see this despite loving Tom Hanks and Cold War related topics. Maybe it is really interesting. Mark Rylance won the Supporting Actor Oscar for his work here. 

Save: Grand Budapest Hotel

My Life as a Zucchini/Ma vie de Courgette (2016 dir. by Claude Barras)

baaa8a7f1074e9f9e83b333d035e0fdd2aceb4a0

A French-Swiss stop-motion animated comedy drama! Only 65 minutes in length, so definitely the shortest film still remaining in the game. This film is the second adaptation of the 2002 Gilles Paris’ novel, Autobiographie d’une Courgette. The film was written by Céline Sciamma. The music for the film was composed by Sophie Hunger. It premiered at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival.

The film received universal acclaim upon release, currently holding a 99% on Rotten Tomatoes and a score of 85/100 on Metacritic. The film received awards attention, earning nominations for Best Animated Feature at the Academy Awards and Golden Globes. The plot of the film is actually incredibly dark. I am super interested in watching this film so I will not be spoiling myself.

Sorry to any fans, but it’s the only film nominated I have not seen, making this cut easy as I am about to run out the door.

SAVING: Hanna
Edited by Deeee

Beach Rats

Beach_Rats_2017_Teaser_Poster.jpg

I watched the teaser trailer for this. I still have absolutely no idea what this movie is about. I cannot find a damn full trailer, but I am tripping over the full movie. 😤 I am not watching it just to do a write up. 

Now onto Wiki for help! This movie came out in 2017. It is written by Eliza Hitmann. It stars people I have never heard of, so we are moving on. 

This movie's main character is Frankie. He has a girlfriend. He also has sex and does drugs with older men he meets on the internet. Come on dude. Cheating and lying are not good for you. Wiki tells me that he doesn't identify as gay or bisexual. He just "has sex with men." Interesting. Not everyone likes labels, but usually movies are fairly clear cut. Really not sure what they are trying to accomplish with this movie, but maybe I will know someday if I decide to watch it.

Saving Peanut Butter Falcon

Isle of Dogs

giphy.gif

I've heard of this movie but I have never got around to actually watch it. Isle of Dog was released in 2018 and is a stop-motion science-fiction comedy-drama adult animated film. It was written, produced and directed by Wes Anderson. The film was distributed by Fox Searchlight Pictures. The movie is set in a dystopian near-future Japan where a pack of banished dogs help a young boy search for his own dog after the species is banished to an island following the outbreak of a canine flu. The film has a stellar voice cast including Bryan Cranston, Koyu Rankin, Edward Norton, Liev Schreiber, Bill Murray, Bob Balaban, Jeff Goldblum, Scarlett Johansson, Kunichi Nomura, Tilda Swinton, Ken Watanabe, Akira Ito, Greta Gerwig, Akira Takayama, Frances McDormand, F. Murray Abraham, Courtney B. Vance, Yojiro Noda, Fisher Stevens, Mari Natsuki, Nijiro Murakami, Yoko Ono, Harvey Keitel, and Frank Wood. The film received praise for the animation and humor. The film gross over 64 million dollars worldwide and has a 90$ on RT. The film received nominations at the 76th Golden Globe Awards, 72nd British Academy Film Awards and two nominations at the 91st Academy Awards, for Best Animated Feature Filmand Best Original Score. If it's ever on a streaming service maybe I'll check it out.

Save: Summer of 84

LOVE, SIMON

MV5BNTMyZDdiMzUtZjcxNS00Mjc3LTljY2UtYjI4YmY5NzJlYjc1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA5OTkwNTc@._V1_.jpg

Love, Simon is a teen rom com about a boy named Simon. He hasn’t told anyone he’s gay yet, but he suddenly gets blackmailed when someone discovers his secret. In addition, he’s fallen for one of his classmates whom he’s been chatting with online. The movie stars Nick Robinson in the title role. The movie had earned praise for being a groundbreaking film. It’s not often there are high school coming-of-age films with a gay protagonist like this one. It seems to be a popular movie with audiences, and the critics liked it too. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 91% approval rating and says, “Love, Simon hits its coming-of-age beats more deftly than many entries in this well-traveled genre – and represents an overdue, if not entirely successful, milestone of inclusion.” Anyway, sorry to any fans. I just cut this one since I’ve at least heard about it, so it took less time to research for this write-up.

Saving Captain Phillips.

Edited by Steven_
  • Sad 2

021bafb4899a7f79-publishing-customer-ser

I am mainly indifferent on these nominations - the only one movie I wanted to be saved got cut so there's that. Anyway, let's talk about the movie that I am cutting - the movie in question is Compliance which was released in 2012. The movie falls into the thriller category, and it was directed by Craig Zobel who also wrote the movie. It stars Dreama Walker, Ann Dowd who we all know due to her appearance in a very popular television show, Pat Healy and Bill Camp. The movie takes place in Mount Washington, Kentucky where the story begins with a strip search phone call scam where the caller is posing as a police office. The victim of this scam call is a restaurant manager where she is essentially forced to do unlawful and intrusive procedures on an employee. Overall, the movie is not really my kind of movie & I am surprised the it was able to sneak through the crack so kudos to Megan for noticing the name of this movie on the front page.

SAVING: THE WAY WAY BACK

Edited by *Chris

anigif_sub-buzz-23237-1510165037-2.gif

The Post

Love me some Tom Hanks-giving and Meryl Streep. I even like Steven Spielberg. But nothing interests me less than a movie about the Washington Post trying to push the Pentagon Papers. Again, I'm just not a huge fan of historical dramas nor like movies about journalism (not that I can really think of many of those off the top of my head). Also just everything about the movie screams "I was designed to be an awards bait movie!!!!!!" and with only nominations for Meryl Streep and Best Picture at the Academy Awards it feels like it fell a bit short on those aspirations. Also, the movie really plays down the New York Times played in the publishing of the Pentagon Papers. Which is weird because the NYTimes actually started publishing the papers first. WhELP. I guess "The Times" doesn't have the same ring as "The Post." And Daniel Ellsberg who made the photocopies of the papers actually went to the Times first. But this isn't a documentary (which would have been more interesting to me!!!!!). 

Saving: Elle