Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Top Five

2obt.gif

So this movie and others were allowed to make it farther well people went after well-known films like The Hunger Games: Catching Fire. Films that they claimed they liked/enjoyed? Make it make sense. Top Five was released in 2014 and is an American comedy film written and directed by Chris Rock. The film was produced by Scott Rudin and Eli Bush and distributed  by Paramount Pictures. The film stars Rock, Rosario Dawson, and Gabrielle Union. It follows New York City comedian and film star Andre Allen played by Chris Rock who has to confront his past and comedic career while doing an interview with journalist Chelsea Brown played by Rosario Dawson.

It received positive reviews. The film was a moderate commercial success at the box office. It grossed $26.1 million worldwide against a $12 million budget. The film has a 86% approval rating on RT. I'm sorry @*Chris for stealing your save and cut but at least now you get to save something else? :haha:

Save: Sing Street

Hell or High Water is a movie I've heard about, but nothing really excited me about it so I never took the time out of my day to watch it. The movie is a neo-western heist film, according to Wikipedia, and it was directed by David Mackenzie while it was written by Taylor Sheridan. It has a good cast with Chris Pine, Ben Foster, Jeff Bridges and Gil Birmingham. In the movie, we are following the tale of two brothers whom are portrayed by Chris Pine & Ben Foster who ends up doing a series of robberies at banks to save the family ranch. Eventually, they get caught and they are pursued by Texas Rangers which are portrayed by Jeff Bridges and Gil Birmingham. Overall, the movie grossed a $37 million and it was seen as one of the best movie of 2016. It was also well received at the Oscars with nominations in the Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor, Best Original Screenplay and Best Film Editing - they went home empty handed. And now, the movie shall not sneak through the cracks any longer.

SAVING : CLEMENCY

23488414.thumb.gif.8c57edc1bb3bc8f5b01e7

A Seperation

Pariah

Amour

Captain Phillips

Boyhood

John Wick

Room

Elle

Esteros

A Fantastic Woman (Una Mujer Fantástica)

John Wick: Chapter 2

If Beale Street Could Talk

Roma

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Ash is Purest White

Widows

Dolemite Is My Name

Harriet

Esteros (2016 dir. by Papu Curotto)

giphy.gif

A 2016 drama film co-produced by Argentina, Brazil, and France, this film follows the story of childhood friends Matias + Jerónimo as they reach adolescence and experience a sexual attraction to one another. F*ck. Seems I am cutting another gay film. A truly horrible homosexual I am. But this movie has been nominated so many times that it just feels like the safest cut to make, considering I think Rei might be the only fan of this film? Or the only one to have seen it? I am really sorry Rei. This was a quick save/cut decision to ensure that Roma advances. I am also in class and Victoria posted the noms as soon as class started. Circumstances separate the two boys from one another, but young adulthood reunites the boys and follows their complicated relationship and sexual tensions as they encounter homophobia.

The two leads are portrayed by Joaquín Parada and Ignacio Rogers. The film seems to have received positive reviews, with an audience score of 76% on Rotten Tomatoes. There are no critic review scores to reference on RT or Metacritic, but the few reviews I do see are very positive. This is a very awesome ranking for a foreign film that deals with issues that are very rampant in Latinx cultures. Great job for bringing it so far Rei. Really sorry to do this, but the noms are really difficult.

SAVING: Roma

Amour (2012 dir. by Michael Haneke)

tumblr_mj5n40Sw2i1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Amour is by far one of the best films of the decade. A French film made by Austrian filmmaker Michael Haneke, who also directed the fabulous Caché and Funny Games, this film tells the story of Anne and Georges Laurent, retired music teachers that suffer great tragedy after Anne suffers a stroke. The film then follows the elderly couple as life as they one knew it slips away after suffering this major health event. Georges deals with taking on the role of Anne's caretaker and reconciling his hopes for her condition with the truth of her physical status + wishes for her directed care. The film is complicated further by the arrival of their daughter Eva, who comes home and wants her mother to go into a skilled nursing facility. 

The film is equal parts romance and tragedy and literally made me bawl like a baby after I first watched it. As somebody who has dealt with the question of how to deal with the suffering of a loved one, this film really, really hits home. This film is about suffering, more so than it is about aging and dying. Haneke was inspired by the suicide of his 90-year-old aunt suffering from rheumatism, refusing to go into a nursing facility and wanting euthanasia. This should sort of hint at what transpires in the film. 

The film was screened at the 2012 Cannes Film Festival, winning the Palme d'Or. A truly brilliant accomplishment. The film was met with widespread critical acclaim, currently holding a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes and holding a score of 94/100 on Metacritic. The film is highly intelligent with one of the most gut-wrenching scripts ever. The film is full of heart and responsibility. It transcends simple storytelling, and that is absolutely due to the lead performances from Emmanuelle Riva and Jean-Louis Trintignant. Earth-shattering performances. The film is a masterpiece and topped so many year-end lists. It received a ton of award nominations - I will just point out that it won the Golden Globe and Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. 10000% believe that Emmanuelle Riva deserved the big Actress awards, but she unjustly lost to Jennifer Lawrence. 

Please watch this film if you have not done so already. I know that Haneke's style might not be for everybody, but the performances from Riva, Trintignant, and Huppert are worth the watch alone.

SAVING: Room

• Sad 2

DOLEMITE IS MY NAME (2019)

ClutteredActiveHorsechestnutleafminer-si

I am now at the point in the rankdown where many of these movies I cut have me thinking "how tf did this get to the top 200 when (insert name of my favorite movie) is already cut???" Prime example: Dolemite Is My Name, a movie that came out last year, distributed by Netflix. Okay it actually received pretty good reviews, so I guess it does have some fans. It stars Eddie Murphy as Rudy Ray Moore, a filmmaker who became best known for portraying the character Dolemite. The title makes sense now 😮 It seems like much of the praise for the movie went to Eddie Murphy in what is deemed as one of the best roles of his career. Wait, Tituss Burgess is in this so maybe I will have to watch it. :haha: Anyways it had a good run here, but lots of great movies were nominated so this is a fair place for it.

Saving: If Beale Street Could Talk

JOHN WICK: CHAPTER 2

At this point of the rankdown, I feel that this cut is more than justified - it's not a movie that I particularly care for, and I never understood its appeal. Now onto the movie, part of the John Wicks series, John Wick: Chapter 2 or John Wick 2 was released in 2017 as a sequel to the first movie. It is considered to be a neo-noir action-thriller movie. It was also directed by Chad Stahelski and written by Derek Kolstad, and it stars Keanu Reeves, Commons, Laurence Fisburne, Riccardo Scarmacio, Ruby Rose, John Leguizamo and Ian McShane. And as expected, the movie continue to follow the life of John Wick, a hitman, who is on a run following a bounty placed on him. The movie was also acclaimed by many, and it was a huge hit at the theatre. To conclude, good job to the fan of the movie for bringing this movie all the way to this spot.

SAVING: HARRIET

John Wick

220px-John_Wick_TeaserPoster.jpg

I threw a random first option from my phone but changing to this since I'm on pc now and I can see what to do. I think I nominated it previously (? would have to check to make sure) but while I think its a perfectly fine movie, it's not something I really love or care for (plus I have a beagle and I spent like an hour annoying my own dog so it wouldn't leave my side after watching this LMAO). The film was released in 2014, and is the directorial debut of Chad Stahelski. The story focuses on John Wick (...duh) who goes on a revenge tour against the men that broke into his home, stole his vintage car and killed his puppy. This is true relatable content.The film has 2 sequels (JW4 is set 2 be released in 2022) and the original was met with solid reviews and commercial success. As I said, these are solid movies, but not ones I care for (also RIP Amour I would have saved it if I could)

Save: Una Mujer Fantástica