Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

The Immigrant 

The_Immigrant_2013_poster.jpg

This movie came out in 2013. It stars Marion Cotillard, Joaquin Phoenix and Jeremy Renner. I have it on good authority that Marion is the highlight of the movie. A reliable source tells me it is rather dull besides that. 

Wiki classifies this movie as a drama. Low Life and the Nightingale were two working titles of the movie. Interesting. 

The movie had a 16 million dollar budget and only brought in 5.9 million. That is a shame. I always hope for movies to at least bring back what they cost.  

Rotten Tomatoes gives this movie an 86% approval rating. (out of 110 reviews) The average score being 7.45/10. Metacrtic, as pretty much always, has a pretty similar score of 77/100. 

Saving Rocketman

AAAABQlWb_o6yq5isMF5nxdxyzTJBELN8l-OUeURqPaFRHa6CKCGeGm5ax9z0cOhz2SIQDHuNf1mFkUsoyhIINwa42_Xr9H0V4Fp8t5X.png?r=79f

1-4.gif

Released in 2018, The Old Man & the Gun is a crime movie inspired by a true story. The movie is also directed and written by David Lowery, best known for Ain't Them Bodies Saints. It also stars Robert Redford in the lead role of Forrest Tucker, Casey Affleck, Danny Glover, Tika Sumpter, Tom Waits and the legendary Sissy Spacek.  As it is based on a true story, we follow the life of Forrest Tucker who was best known for being a career criminal as well as an escape artist - throughout his time in jail, he escaped 18 times successfully and 12 times unsuccessfully. The movie was met with positive reviews but didn't really have much of an impact of the general public or on the academy during the awards season. Anyway, I am sure if one loves crime movie this might be for you - I do love my crime movies but I'm not really interested in watching it as the trailer didn't really catch my attention. 

SAVING: HEARTBEATS

Edited by *Chris

LATE NIGHT (2019)

giphy.gif

Late Night is a 2019 dramedy movie starring Emma Thompson and Mindy Kaling. Kaling also did the screenplay for this movie which means it is probably really well-written and really funny. It's about a popular TV host (Thompson) who hires Kaling's character as a new writer to try and prevent her from being replaced. On a less than $10 million budget, this grossed over $22 million which makes it a success. It has an 80% on Rotten Tomatoes and was praised for its heart and its funny screenplay. I'm sure this is a really cute movie with a good story, but I am surprised that it is still in the rankdown tbh. Now seems like a good time for it to peace.

Save: Inherent Vice

A Private War

Aprivatewarposter.jpg

tumblr_pm9pk7hnNj1wkip4uo3_500.gifv

A Private War is a 2018 biographical drama film based on the 2012 article "Marie Colvin's Private War" in Vanity Fair. The film follows Marie Colvin, one of the most celebrated war correspondents of our time who travelled to the frontlines of conflicts and civil wars across the globe to give voice to the voiceless. The film featured Rosamund Pike in the lead role with supporting performances from Jamie Dornan, Tom Hollander and Stanley Tucci. The movie only made $3.8M in the box office but the budget is not listed on the Wikipedia page of the film. Reviews were great by critics with praise giving it to the lead performance and some calling it Rosamund's Pike best role. Tomatoscore of 87% and Metascore of 75. This is the first time I hear about this film but it looks to be a very solid film and one that I think I would enjoy. 

Saving Esteros

8783a643c775aa513b31c30c20f17132cb986598

WARRIOR

55116040259eeb3ea723a2f1e665744f.jpg

Warrior is a sports drama film released in 2011. Starring Tom Hardy and Joel Edgerton as estranged brothers, the film is about them coming to terms with their relationship with each other through a mixed martial arts tournament. Edgerton plays Brendan, a former MMA fighter. Hardy plays Tommy, a former U.S. Marine. Nick Nolte plays their alcoholic father (Nolte was nominated for Best Supporting Actor at the Oscars for this role). Jennifer Morrison and Frank Grillo also star in the movie. This seems like an emotionally charged film, and I don't doubt the performances are great with this cast. After all, it is a movie about two brothers finally confronting their issues in the ring. So, in order for the film to work, the performances have to be believable. As for what the critics thought of the movie, Rotten Tomatoes gives it an 83% approval rating and says, "Warrior relies on many of the clichés that critics of the genre love to mock — and it transcends them with gripping action, powerful acting, and heart." I don't know if this is a film I would seek out to watch, but it does seem like it could be worth watching. Sorry to any fans for eliminating it from the rankdown. I hastily chose a film in order to save War Horse as quickly as possible yet again.

And I'm saving War Horse again.

original.gif

The_Souvenir_(2019_poster).png

The Souvenir

Didn't realize that I didn't know how to spell "souvenir" until just now. Had a vague idea. But my first attempt was definitely incorrect. Why am I cutting this movie? Well on the list it was last and I saved the second to last movie. Therefore easy. Didn't have to think. I have to leave for an appointment in 10 minutes so I'm gonna speed read a summary. "A shy but ambitious film student falls into an intense emotionally fraught relationship with a charismatic but untrustworthy older man." I can already tell that if this were posted on r/Relationships or AITA that my only advice would be get away from him. Red flags. And ending with a "why are men?????" It turns out he's an addict. I'd say that it's a surprise but in this day and age how do you not realize that needle marks on an arm either means medical condition (which your partner should likely disclose to you) or drug addict (which your partner should likely disclose to you). It does star Tilda Swinton and her daughter Honor Swinton Burne as well as Tom Burke. There will be a sequel??????????????? Is Tilda funding this? Should I see it for Tilda?????? 

Saving: Sing Street

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

*LATER*

I think I tried to cut this and Derek was kind (?) enough to flip my save/cut, so yeah let’s do it now. The tl;dr of this: I never cared about this franchise, so I never  even watch them lol. Onto the movie, it was released way back in 2011, and it’s the fourth movie in the M:I franchise. It was directed by Brad Bird and with performances by Tom Cruise, Jeremy Renner, Simon Pegg, Paula Patton, Michael Nyqvist, Anil Kapoor and Léa Seydoux. It made a ton of money and has good reviews in RT and MT. Anyway, still don’t care, out it goes.

Save: Mistress America

Lean on Pete

giphy.gif

I have never heard of either of these movies before so I just chose to cut and save at random. Love & Mercy was sparred but Lean on Pete was not so lucky. Lean on Pete was released in 2017 and is categorized as a British drama. The film was written and directed by Andrew Haigh. The film is based based on the novel of the same name by Willy Vlautin. Lean on Pete stars Charlie Plummer, Chloë Sevigny, Travis Fimmel and Steve Buscemi. The film follows a 15 year old boy named Charley Thompson who begins to work at a stable and befriends an aging racehorse named Leon on Pete. What does @Deeee have against horses? :dead:The film was distributed by Curzon Artificial Eye and A24. Lean on Pete didn't do much at the box office only making 2.5 million dollars there. The film does have a 91% approval rating on RT so maybe it's worth a watch. Unfortunately for Lean on Pete I have yet to watch it.

Save: Love & Mercy

• Sad 1