Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

BOOKSMART (2019)

giphy.gif

This is actually a movie I started and never finished :ph34rwave: I know it's really popular and I like the concept, but the humor really didn't jibe with me and I wasn't crazy about it. Booksmart came out in 2019 and centers around two nerdy high school seniors who finally decide to make up for lost time and party hard on their last day of high school. That's literally the plot of this movie. It stars Beanie Feldstein and Kaitlyn Dever. Beanie in particular is really charismatic and fun and she was the best part of this movie for me. There are a lot of other really big names in this movie - Lusa Kudrow, Will Forte, Jason Sudeikis, three names that I really love! But the movie, again, just didn't really do it for me. I've avoided cutting it up till now but we're at the point in the game where the cuts are getting harder (and more #choices are being made imo). Anyway, sorry to any fans of this movie but its time is up.

Saving: Obvious Child

• Sad 1

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Scott_Pilgrim_vs._the_World_teaser.jpg

500full-scott-pilgrim-vs.-the-world-scre

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World is a 2010 comedy film based on the graphic novel of the same name. The movie follows Scott Pilgrim, a 22 year-old wannabe rockstar who falls in love with a delivery girl called Ramona. In order to date her, Scott must face seven evil exes. The movie is famous for using video game and comic book imagery and extensive visual effects. The cast of the film included: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kieran Culkin, Chris Evans, Anna Kendrick, Allison Pill, Brandon Routh and Jason Schawartzman. The movie was a box-office bomb making $48M against a budget of $85M, the film would later however earn a following cult who appears to be all of them in this rankdown as it has been saved a million times. The film received good reviews for his visual style and humor and it currently holds a Tomatoscore of 82% and a Metascore of 69. The film is fun to watch but nothing outstanding and nowhere near as one of the best film of the 2010's.

Uhm. The film is one of the most widely analyzed and discussed from a technical standpoint in the film world because it's one of the most innovative films ever made. It appears on a plethora of best films of the decade lists. The amount of accolades it has received and the legacy the film has speaks to the fact that maybe it is one of the best of the decade.

I just edited this to say that don't like the film that much instead of stating something that according to Dee is not true! 🙂

Saving: Moonlight

giphy.gif

Edited by .Rei

Mistress America (2015 dir. by Noah Baumbach)

8b35314f3cab2d5acd3cc9aa908b65555e3e93a3

Another collaboration from Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig. A good film, but definitely one that has lasted a bit too long in this game imo. The film stars Greta Gerwig, Lola Kirke, Heather Lind, indy Cheung, Jasmine Cephas Jones, Matthew Shear, Kathryn Erbe, Michael, Chernus, Rebecca Naomi Jones, and Mickey Sumner. The film made its premiere at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival and released to positive reviews. The movie contains the usual charm and dark wit of any Baumbach + Gerwig collaboration. Gerwig feels right at home in the lead role, which was very obviously written specifically for her. I know a lot of critics and fans are divided on the screwball-comedy section that takes place in the character Mamie-Claire's mansion, but Gerwig is so strong in her performance that I kinda love it.

The film currently holds an 81% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes with an average rating score of 7.35/10. Its Metacritic score is 75/100. The film is witty and really takes an interesting look at art and betrayal. A good watch, a fun watch, a light watch. But this is more than a generous ranking.

SAVING: The Babadook

4 minutes ago, .Rei said:

The film is fun to watch but nothing outstanding and nowhere near as one of the best film of the 2010's.

Uhm. The film is one of the most widely analyzed and discussed from a technical standpoint in the film world because it's one of the most innovative films ever made. It appears on a plethora of best films of the decade lists. The amount of accolades it has received and the legacy the film has speaks to the fact that maybe it is one of the best of the decade.

Just say you don't like the film that much instead of stating something that is not true! 🙂

1 minute ago, Deeee said:

Just say you don't like the film that much instead of stating something that is not true! 🙂

I love Scott Pilgrim, but using your arguments you've used against other films, what about Scott dating a 17 year old high schooler?

Sing Street

:*later*

This game is getting harder but well it was bound to happen by now (most of this huge, broad topic ones get really bad around 200 imo), so after my moment of panic this is the cut that works best for me. Released in 2016, and written and directed by John Carney, the movie tells the story of guy starting a band to impress a girl (it’s very cliche but done well). It has performances by Starring Ferdia Walsh-Peelo, Lucy Boynton, Maria Doyle Kennedy, Aidan Gillen, Jack Reynor, and Kelly Thornton.

It has a pretty solid critical reception and did well for its budget. Sorry I’m heading to lunch and this is about as decent as it’s gonna get lol

Save: Gloria

tumblr_nhflrkpuil1ru4tifo1_500.gif

Never Let Me Go

I'm a little shocked this movie made it this far. I think it's mostly because I've been carrying it on or pleading for it to be saved. But in this set of noms, it's simultaneously a personally difficult but easy cut to make. Starring Carey Mulligan, Andrew Garfield, and Kiera Knightley, Never Let Me Go is a 2010 film based on the 2005 novel by Kazuo Ishiguro. (Which is one of my favorite novels by the way. One that touched me really deeply). The film was directed by Mark Romanek with a screenplay by Alex Garland who would go on to direct two of my favorite films of the decade. And I wonder what this movie would have been if he had been the director instead. It's a fine adaptation of a remarkable novel, but because it's a truly great novel, the movie is also very good. But it may only resonate if you've read and loved the novel like I did. For those of you who do not know, the film centers around the love triangle between Kathy (Carey Mulligan), Tommy (Andrew Garfield), and Ruth (Kiera Knightley). Early on in the film, the trio of characters learn that they and their classmates are all actually clones whose purpose in life is to serve as organ donors for the non-clone humans to extend their natural lifespans well past 100 years. Like many of my favorite movies, it deals what it is to be a human when you are not exactly one. I'd suggest watching the movie, but I'd really suggest that you read the novel it's based on first and then watch the movie.

Saving: Portrait of a Lady on Fire

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, .Rei said:

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Scott_Pilgrim_vs._the_World_teaser.jpg

500full-scott-pilgrim-vs.-the-world-scre

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World is a 2010 comedy film based on the graphic novel of the same name. The movie follows Scott Pilgrim, a 22 year-old wannabe rockstar who falls in love with a delivery girl called Ramona. In order to date her, Scott must face seven evil exes. The movie is famous for using video game and comic book imagery and extensive visual effects. The cast of the film included: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kieran Culkin, Chris Evans, Anna Kendrick, Allison Pill, Brandon Routh and Jason Schawartzman. The movie was a box-office bomb making $48M against a budget of $85M, the film would later however earn a following cult who appears to be all of them in this rankdown as it has been saved a million times. The film received good reviews for his visual style and humor and it currently holds a Tomatoscore of 82% and a Metascore of 69. The film is fun to watch but nothing outstanding and nowhere near as one of the best film of the 2010's.

I just edited this to say that don't like the film that much instead of stating something that according to Dee is not true! 🙂

Saving: Moonlight

giphy.gif

EDITED

50/50

50-50-poster.jpg

Well 50/50 isn’t (500) Days of Summer for anyone who was wondering. 50/50 stars Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later’s Joseph-Gordon Levitt as Adam, a young 27-year-old radio DJ who is diagnosed with a form of cancer that has a survival rate of only 50% (hence the name). It also co-stars Seth Rogen in a serious role, with Bryce Dallas Howard and queen Anna Kendrick in supporting roles. The film was received positively by critics, and became a success at the box office. It was also one of @Deeee’s favourite films, as he had a really cute bonding moment with his RA + dorm upon the film’s release. He also feels it’s a good film on his own! I hope he knows this cut is nothing against him since I never knew that, and also he + Megan continue to have the only opinions I trust in this rankdown. Nonetheless, it was the first film I saw to cut, though it was mostly because I thought it was the other film. Oopsie!

SAVE: 🐓

Edited by Elliott
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

I love Scott Pilgrim, but using your arguments you've used against other films, what about Scott dating a 17 year old high schooler?

This is a fair point that I would be open to discussing. The situation in Scott Pilgrim with Scott and Knives is FAR different from the situations that I pointed out in films like Call Me By Your Name and The Diary of a Teenage Girl, which are extremely and graphically sexual in nature. Plus, Scott Pilgrim is portrayed and understood to be a hugely piece of crap person, a step-up from other films that sort of just happily and wonderfully portray these relationships with minors in a far more romantic tone.

I do see your point though. My issue was more so referring to the film as "not that good" or "one of the best of the decade" when both of those are sort of contrary to the truth. :haha:

50/50 is one of my absolute favorite films. The day that I moved into my dorm for undergrad, all of us + our RA went to the movies together to see it. We mostly all cried together and it was a great bonding experience. So the film holds a special place in my heart, but it's also incredibly good on its own merits.

Another fun fact: our RAs in undergrad had to pick a theme for our dorm and were asked to decorate our dorm according to said theme. My RA picked Scott Pilgrim as our dorm theme. It was incredible. So, the film also holds many special meanings for me. Despite loving the video game, the graphic novels, the film itself, I just have a connection with the movie. 

AKA these noms sucked and hit me right in the gut. LOL.

Dope

DopeTeaserPoster.jpg

This movie came out in 2015. Rick Famuyiwa is both the writer and the director. It is a comedy drama coming of age film.  This poor movie. It had to compete against Jurassic World, Inside Out, Spy and San Andreas at Box Office. It still pulled a respectable 6.1 million. That's against a 7 million dollar budget. It eventually earned 18 million. 

Despite a somewhat smaller release, this movie was well received. It has an 89% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes. It has an average rating of 7.3/10. Metacritic also gives it a 72/100. Cinema Score gave it an A- grade. Now that is quite the difference. The Guardian also gave it a 5 out of 5. Wonder which ones are closer to the truth. Not every movie is geared towards every person. Perhaps the people it was geared towards loved it. 

Saving the Blackcoat's Daughter 

• Sad 2