Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Widows

Widows_(2018_movie_poster).png

200.gif

Widows is a 2018 heist thriller film based upon the 1983 British television show of the same name. The movie follows the story of four women that become widows, as they husbands end up dead after a police shootout in an armed robbery attempt in Chicago. The widows are left with a big debt behind by their spouses criminal activities which lead them to join forces and trying to pull off a heist. The cast of the film included: Viola Davis, Michelle Rodriguez, Elizabeth Debicki, Cynthia Erivo, Colin Farrell, Brian Tyree Henry, Daniel Kaluuuya, Jacki Weaver, Carrie Coon, Robert Duvall and Liam Neeson. The movie was a success by making $72M against a budget of $42M. The movie received critical acclaim and currently holds a Tomatoscore of 91% and a Metascore of 84/100. The movie sounds interesting and since Viola Davis is in it, I'm sure the acting is just top-nocht. I would like to watch this sometime in the future.

Saving A Separation

tumblr_lwsjtsRxXE1qawrzyo2_250.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=15204392

Captain Phillips

Choosing between Pariah, Boyhood, and Into the Spider-Verse is difficult but I chose Boyhood to save because I'm counting on @Elliott to save Into the Spider-Verse which is probably the best animated movie of the past decade and the fact that it keeps getting nominated is WTF. Anyway, I chose Boyhood over Pariah because while both are special to me, I saw Boyhood right after I learned that a kid who was my brother's age passed from cancer when he was 16. So a movie about a kid growing up was something that I watched to comfort myself. It's not something I like to talk about because it childhood cancers really suck and it's something that still makes me incredibly emotional despite it being just over six years. Maybe when Boyhood is finally eliminated, I'll say more. Because unfortunately that seems like an inevitability now since Victoria has nominated twice. 

Anyway, this write-up isn't my impassioned plea to keep Boyhood around until the finals, it's about Captain Phillips. Since I'm apparently just continuing to cut Tom Hanks movies, Captain Phillips is a Tom Hanks movie from 2013. It's a biopic about Captain Richard Phillips and the Maersk Alabama hijacking where Captain Phillips and his crew were taken hostage by Somali pirates in the Guardafui Channel. The movie was well-received and Barkhad Abdi received an Academy Award nomination for his portrayal of the lead Somali pirate Abduwali Muse. Unfortunately for Captain Phillips (and not unfortunate in general) it was competing against the very very good and better Biopic 12 Years a Slave in the more general categories and the less good but technically outstanding Gravity in the technical categories that year at the Academy Awards and won 0 awards despite 6 nominations. 

Saving Boyhood

PARIAH

Pariah_FilmPoster.jpeg

Pariah is a film that I'm not too familiar with, though the title sounds familiar. It's about a 17-year-old by the name of Alike, who discovers she is a lesbian and learns to embrace that identity despite her upbringing. Originally premiering at the Sundance Film Festival in 2011 where it was awarded the Excellence in Cinematography title,  Pariah is a 2011 American drama film written and directed by Dee Rees. It tells the story of Alike (Adepero Oduye), a 17-year-old African American embracing her identity as a lesbian. It premiered at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival and was awarded the Excellence in Cinematography Award, before showing at the Toronto Film Festival later that year. It currently has a 95% at Rotten Tomatoes, and a 7.9/10 at MetaCritic.

SAVE: Into the Spider-Verse

Edited by Elliott

ELLE

220px-Elle_poster.jpg

Elle is a thriller film released in 2016. Starring Isabelle Huppert, the movie is about a woman named Michèle Leblanc. She is the CEO of a video game company, and she gets raped in her own home. However, due to her bad experiences with the police, she does not report what happened. She tries to figure out the identity of the rapist herself. And when she finally finds out the identity of the man who raped her.....she starts having a relationship with him. However, the guy has to feel like he's raping her to get any sort of pleasure out of it, so she consents to roleplay. So, the line is blurred between consent and rape for these two. Yikes, this plot did not end up going where I thought it would. It seems very problematic. Anyway, Michèle finally admits this relationship is unhealthy and she will call the police. However, her feelings are still ambiguous as he takes her home and she takes her time walking inside and makes it clear she left her gate unlocked. So, it seems like she's inviting the rapist back into her house? The rapist then follows her inside to rape her again, even though she maybe is consenting to it? However,  Michèle's son is there, and he attacks the rapist and kills him. The film ends with Michèle talking to the rapist's wife, and she thanks her for being able to satisfy his needs since she was seemingly unable to. What?! She learns her husband is a rapist, and her first reaction is to thank Michèle for letting him rape her? I can't say this is a movie I have any interest in seeing. Despite the critical acclaim (especially for Isabelle Huppert who was nominated for Best Actress at the Oscars), the way rape is treated in this film is problematic. A film critic thought so too, and she said, "In a vicious insult to all survivors of men’s sexual violence, the filmmakers have recast the perpetrator and his victim as being in some kind of relationship or affair driven by her masochism, in which his abusiveness is simply a necessary fuel... It’s a classic, malicious lie: that rape awakens women’s sexuality." Anyway, out Elle goes from the rankdown.

And Ash is Purest White is saved by default.

NOMINATIONS

Never Let Me Go (2010)
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010)
50/50 (2011)
Martha Marcy May Marlene (2011)
Young Adult (2011)
Looper (2012)
Gloria (2013)
The Wind Rises (2013)
The Babadook (2014)
Obvious Child (2014)
The Blackcoat’s Daughter (2015)