Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

20 minutes ago, Elliott said:

It was also one of @Deeee’s favourite films, as he had a really cute bonding moment with his RA + dorm upon the film’s release. He also feels it’s a good film on his own! I hope he knows this cut is nothing against him since I never knew that, and also he + Megan continue to have the only opinions I trust in this rankdown. Nonetheless, it was the first film I saw to cut, though it was mostly because I thought it was the other film. Oopsie!

I ❤️ you

Young Adult

TWYo.gif

Young Adult is the second Jason Reitman directed, Diablo Cody screenplay collaboration following their first successful movie together Juno. The movie stars Charlize Theron as Mavis Gary who is a 37-year-old divorced alcoholic who makes her living by ghostwriting young adult novels. After learning that her high school boyfriend (Patrick Wilson) just had a baby with his wife, Mavis takes this as a sign that she and Buddy were meant to be together and goes back to her hometown with the mission of destroying his marriage to win him back. The movie is good and funny and definitely elevated by Charlize Theron (who often elevates every movie she's in) who plays a very complicated character very well. As a protagonist she's hard to root for because she's so awful but that's one of the wonderful things about this movie. She was rightfully praised for her performance which resulted in a Golden Globe nomination. But the remaining four movies are all good so this was a tough cut to make no matter what.

Saving: Martha Marcy May Marlene