Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

32 minutes ago, #jeah said:

WAR WITCH (2012)

tumblr_o96tsqW5Uy1qa3emao1_500.gifv

Hopefully I'm not stepping on any toes by cutting this movie :ph34rwave: War Witch is a 2012 Canadian war film written and directed by Kim Nguyen. Set in Sub-Saharan Africa during a brutal Civil War, this movie focuses on a child soldier forced into fighting. This sounds like a really heavy subject and it received great reviews, even garnering an Academy Award nomination for Best International Feature Film. The film garnered critical acclaim, with focus on its intense subject matter portrayed in a very sympathetic light through the lens of a character that which we could empathize with. This actually sounds like a movie that I would enjoy but would have to be in the right state of mind to watch. Anyways, I feel kind of bad cutting this but we have already trimmed a lot of the fat in this game so many of the remaining cuts will be great movies.

Saving: Frances Ha

it is a really great movie. I definitely recommend it 

• Like 1

Beginners

Beginners_Poster.jpg

If I had seen the trailer for this in real time, I would have checked out this movie. It stars Ewan McGregor. I am honestly not sure what the focus of the movie is. It might be his new girlfriend Anna. (whose actress I actually remember from a Tarantino movie) It might also be that after his mother passed away, his father came out as a gay man.  That second part can be a movie in of itself. Either lying to yourself or repressing a part of yourself through most of your life must be difficult. Finally accepting yourself and feeling accepted by others has to feel fantastic. 

This movie received mostly favorable reviews. Compared to it's budget, it did relatively well at box office. 

Saving Martha Marcy May Marlene 

Louder_Than_Bombs_(film).jpg

Louder Than Bombs

Two Joachim Trier movies in a row! You'd think I hate the man! I do not but like I mentioned in my Thelma write-up, it's not as good as his other two films released in the decade so it's an easy cut. I feel that the ambitions of Louder Than Bombs exceeded the actual final product and thus you end up with something that you know could  be better but just isn't. That's truly it's greatest failing. It's still a good movie though but by far one of the fairest cuts at this point. The movie is about the Reed family whose matriarch Isabelle (played by Isabelle Huppert) was a conflict photographer who died by suicide a few years before the movie's beginning. However, it turns out that the mother's life is more complicated than it seemed at first glance and when the father (Gabriel Byrne) is tasked with writing an obituary about his wife's life work, which puts the family in crisis. The movie also stars Jesse Eisenberg and Devin Druid as the two sons in the family. It's an interesting movie but not as good as his Norwegian films (one of which wasn't even included in this rankdown! An oversight of mine!) despite the all-star Hollywood cast.

Saving: Attack the Block

75662cfea41e6bbd0e30b28120166eaf.gif

Clouds of Sils Maria

1400850092425_0620x0435_0x0x680x477_1574

Just another random cut, don’t mind me. This movie, released in 2014, is a drama movie directed and written by Olivier Assayas, with performances by Juliette Binoche, Kristen Stewart, and Chloë Grace Moretz. Filmed in Switzerland (hence the name), the movie focused on Maria (played by Binoche), an actress who gets casted to play the older role of the play and movie that gave her her big break. The movie works in between echoes of Maria’s past, present and the plot of the movie, which ngl looks incredibly interesting at least from a plot perspectivean it got a great reception upon release. This sounds like a movie Megan might like (sorry in advance if that’s the case) but well, I had to cut something.

Save: Gloria

Edited by NGM

3 hours ago, NGM said:

Clouds of Sils Maria

*later*

Just another random cut, don’t mind me. This movie, released in 2014, is a drama movie directed and written by Olivier Assayas, with performances by Juliette Binoche, Kristen Stewart, and Chloë Grace Moretz. Filmed in Switzerland (hence the name), the movie focused on Maria (played by Binoche), an actress who gets casted to play the older role of the play and movie that gave her her big break. The movie works in between echoes of Maria’s past, present and the plot of the movie, which ngl looks incredibly interesting at least from a plot perspectivean it got a great reception upon release. This sounds like a movie Megan might like (sorry in advance if that’s the case) but well, I had to cut something.

Save: Gloria

I almost cut this movie.

i have a VERY refined palate when it comes to lesbian movies 

Killing Them Softly

tumblr_ovx825UYtA1vjdt8po1_500.gifv

I have heard of this movie but have never got around to actually watching it. I haven't seen anyone say they love this film so I figure it's an easy cut compared to what's left at this point? I hope so. Killing Them Softly was released in 2012 and is an American neo-noir crime film. The film was written and directed by Andrew Dominik. The movie was distributed by The Weinstein Company. No, that's not the reason for my cut but if it helps it be more justifiable than so be it. The movie stars Brad Pitt, Scoot McNairy, Ben Mendelsohn, Richard Jenkins, James Gandolfini, Ray Liotta and Sam Shepard. The film is based on George V. Higgins' novel Cogan's Trade which was released in 1974. The film is about three small-time crooks who rob a Mob-protected illegal gambling operation which prompts the Mob to send in two hitmen, Jackie (Brad Pitt) and Mickey (James Gandolfini) to deal with the perpetrators. I tend to like these types of movie so maybe I will get around to watching it one day. The film received positive reviews and has a RT score of %73. The movie made $37.9 million dollars against a $15 million dollar budget so the movie wasn't a commercial flop. This movie made it kind of far considering some movies that have already been cut but it ends now.

Save: Blockers

THE WORLD'S END

The World's End is a science-fiction comedy film that is considered the third and final instalment of the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy, which also features Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. I f*cking loved Shaun of the Dead and felt pretty meh on Hot Fuzz, so I guess it was fitting that my feelings on this entry were somewhere in the middle of those two. The film was written by Edgar Wright (who also directed) and Simon Pegg (who also portrayed one of the leads). It also starred  Nick Frost, Paddy Considine, Martin Freeman, Eddie Marsan and Rosamund Pike. As Shaun of the Dead focused on a group of friends who discover a zombie outbreak amidst a pub crawl, The World's End naturally follows a group of friends who discover there's an alien invasion amidst a pub crawl. The film is the lowest-rated one at Rotten Tomatoes (I disagree), but is tied with Hot Fuzz as the best of the trilogy at MetaCritic (making Shaun of the Dead the lowest rated of the trilogy, of which I also disagree). Though the film made $46 million at the box office, it also had the highest budget of the three with $20 million, thereby making less of a profit than its predecessors.

SAVE: You're Next

download.php?type=download&image=122578&section=3

WaterloggedPositiveBighornedsheep-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_nxkvpnPi5w1tqtt3wo2_540.gif

Knowing the plot of the movie, I wish I would have known prior to cutting but it wouldn’t have survive against 50/50. The movie is considered to be a comedy and drama, it was released in 2015  where it was directed by Sean Baker who also wrote the movie. And jt stars Kitana Kiki Rodriguez, Mya Taylor, and James Ransome. The movie follows the story of a transgender sex worker who has discovered that her boyfriend & Pomo been cheating on her - id assume that it had a huge impact on the storyline of the movie. The movie was well received especially for shooting the movie in its entirety with three IPhone 5S - be the quality would be excellent now. It was also well received especially for the portrayal of transgender characters - the fact they were portrayal by individual from the community is a huge step.

SAVING: LOVE & MERCY

Edited by *Chris

The Fits (2015 dir. by Anna Rose Holmer)

source.gif

Not a cut I want to make, but here we are. The Fits is a drama film directed by Anna Rose Holmer in her directorial debut. Interestingly enough, the ideas for the film were developed on Tumblr by Holmer and her co-writer and producer, Lisa Kjerulff, as well as her editor and co-writer, Saela Davis. The film is inspired by real-life stories of communities succumbing to fits of mass hysteria. Holmer researched cases of mass psychogenic illness and conversion disorders, specifically focusing on outbreaks of seizure-like attacks and uncontrollable spasms that dated back to the Middle Ages. Really, really cool stuff! The Dancing Plague of 1518 specifically inspired this film, which focuses on the story of Toni, an eleven-year-old tomboy that struggles to fit into a girls' dance troupe, which begins to experience inexplicable fits of violence. 

I will not get into how this works in the film because I really want most of you to watch this movie. The wonderful cast of very talented girls was found after Holmer discovered the Q Kidz Dance Team on Youtube. The film was produced with this specific group in mind, considering their dance forms in the process. The coach of the team was hired on to the film as a producer, and casting for the film was opened up to the troupe. The lead actor, Royalty Hightower, was cast from the Q Kidz. 

While the film is a drama, there is some aspect of mystery and thriller to it imo. Maybe because the film functions as a deep exploration of such a psychologically complex condition. The film received widespread critical acclaim upon release. 90/100 on Metacritic + 97% on Rotten Tomatoes! With a first-time woman director, women as producers and writers, and a young Black girl as the lead! THIS IS WHAT WE LIKE TO SEE.

The film received a lot of awards attention because duh! It's amazing. The film can be watched for free on Tubi and is also on Prime Video. Watch it!

SAVING: 50/50