Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

44 minutes ago, *Chris said:

At least you expected it because some people acting like it was a big deal and a shock to them.

and we are all petty - some people seems to underestimate other people’s pettiness though & they think they’re only one that can be petty :haha:

I always say terrible nominations when people nominate my favorites :haha: 

but it is never personal just so you know :hug:

source.gif

Thelma

If only I had access to my computer at 3:30AM when I formulated most of this write-up in my mind. (Why was I up at 3:30AM? Well I live next to a house filled with undergrads who are back because the school is stupid and undergrads are loud on a Friday night and I forgot to close my windows). Anyway, Thelma is a Norwegian supernatural “horror” film (I put horror in quotes because I don’t think it’s scary but I think Hulu classified it as a horror movie when I watched it). It’s directed by Joachim Trier whose really fantastic film Oslo, August 31st didn’t make this rankdown for some reason and whose less fantastic but still perfectly good film Louder Than Bombs is still in this rankdown. But of the three more well-known films of his, Thelma is my favorite. It was so highly praised in Norway that they submitted it as their entry for the foreign-language film category but ultimately it was not chosen because I can only assume that being comprised largely of straight white men supernatural thrillers about young women coming to terms with their sexuality after being raised by an oppressive religious family aren’t necessarily the favorites of the Academy. We already know that the Academy means nothing anyway since Suicide Squad has an Academy Award.

Thelma is the story of a young woman named Thelma who is attending university in Oslo. This is the first time she’s been away from her parents who are oppressively conservative and religious, particularly her overbearing father. At university she meets a female student and there’s an instant attraction on Thelma’s part. And the movie grapples with Thelma reconciling her very strict upbringing with the feelings she has for this woman. To complicate matters, it also turns out that Thelma has psychic powers that are unstable in part due to her conflicting emotions. And since this is not a comedy, it leads to some very scary things. The movie is directed well and the role of Thelma is beautifully portrayed by Eili Harboe.

I don’t think that Thelma was every going to have a shot at the endgame or even close, but I hope with the horror rankdown and this rankdown that more people were introduced to the movie. It really is very good movie and I believe that it is still available on Hulu. It’s one that I’d give a watch if I had the free time. I will warn that there is definitely a scene that could induce seizures so if you are sensitive to that, it may be a movie to stay away from or at least stay away from that scene.

THE KILLING OF A SACRED DEER

Me cutting this film in two rankdowns and still not knowing a damn thing about it. 😍 Off to Wikipedia, I go...

The Killing of a Sacred Deer is a psychological thriller that was released in 2017. It was co-written and directed by Yorgos Lanthimos, and he also wrote the film with Efthymis Filippou. Starring Colin Farrell, Nicole Kidman (is Chris aware if this????), Barry Keoghan, Raffey Cassidy, Sunny Suljic, Alicia Silverstone, and Bill Camp, the film is based on the ancient Greek tragedy Iphigenia at Aulis and follows Colin Farrell’s character. He’s a cardiac surgeon whose family falls ill after he secretly befriends a teenage boy that apparently has some sort of mysterious connection to his past. Sounds... whatever. If Colin Farrell looks hot in it, maybe I’ll check it out.

SAVE: Into the Spider-Verse

Edited by Elliott

1 minute ago, .Rei said:

I have seen all the movies left but Widows and Girls trip and I love them all.. so I'm gonna cut one of these two so please hurry and tell me what to not cut

I’d prefer Widows being cut over Girls Trip