Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

12 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

Widows

Pariah

Logan Lucky

Girl's Trip

Anybody who saves these and doesn't cut anything else on this list I will offer generous help with write-ups!

I would have saved Widows anyways but if you want to do an Okja write up for me it would be greatly appreciated because I won’t be able to get to it for a couple of hours :haha: otherwise hopefully my cut and save stands 

(Also I loved Okja but this is a fair spot for it)

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

tumblr_omm3clm8Er1rrwrx4o3_250.gifv

I'm going to assume this gif is from Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and not Rise of the Planet of the Apes or War for the Planet of the Apes. The set of nominations were tough but since I saw Coco nominated I had to save it since my mom watches it almost every single day since her father passed away last year in September. 😭 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was released in 2014 and is a sequel to the 2011 film Rise of the Planet of the Apes and it was proceeded by Planet of the Apes which was released in 2017. The film is categorized as an American science fiction action film and was directed by Matt Reeves and written by Mark Bomback, Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver. The film stars Andy Serkis, Jason Clarke, Gary Oldman, Keri Russell, Toby Kebbell, and Kodi Smit-McPhee. This movie is the second film in the reboot trilogy of the Planet of the Apes series done by 20th Century Fox. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes takes place 10 years aftet the events of Rise of the Planet of the Apes. It follows a group of people in San Francisco who struggle to stay alive in the aftermath of a plague that wiped out most of humanity, kind of like COVID-19. :giggle:Caesar is back and is the leader of this community of intelligent apes. My favorite part of the previous film was the relationship of Will Rodman played by James Franco and Caesar. Will Rodman died within those 10 years. 😢 It's that relationship that keeps Caesar from being overly primal as he remembers that some humans can be kind. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was met with highly positive reviews, with critics praising its visual effects, story, direction, acting, musical score, action sequences and emotional depth. It was also a box office success grossing over $710 million dollars worldwide with a 170 million dollar budget. The film was distributed by 20th Century Fox (RIP) and it was the 8th highest grossing film of 2014 and the highest grossing film of the series. The film received an Academy Award nomination for Best Visual Effects and has a 91% approval rating on RT. I've enjoyed the reboot series but these were tough nominations.

Save: Coco

Just now, totes4totes said:

you could have saved it but you didn't. i thought you were going to which is why i didn't add it to my list. but this is a fraction of what you deserve for choosing between widows and girls trip to cut.

if you think I'm gonna cut one of my favorites to save yours, you're sadly mistaken 😘

4 minutes ago, #jeah said:

I would have saved Widows anyways but if you want to do an Okja write up for me it would be greatly appreciated because I won’t be able to get to it for a couple of hours :haha: otherwise hopefully my cut and save stands 

(Also I loved Okja but this is a fair spot for it)

cool. i'll DM you

• Thanks 1

TOMBOY

Tomboy2011.jpg

Tomboy is a French drama film released in 2011. The movie is about gender identity, and it is told through the point of view of a child named Laure. When Laure’s family moves to a new neighborhood, Laure befriends a group of kids. However, Laure asks to be called Mickaël and they believe that Laure is a boy. Throughout the film, a series of events occur that threatens to reveal Laure’s identity. The truth comes out at the end in dramatic fashion though, with other kids capturing Laure and one of the kids looking down Laure’s shorts. The film ends with Lauren reintroducing herself as Laure instead of Mickaël. The film is ambiguous whether it’s a story about a transgender boy or a girl pretending to be a boy. According to Wikipedia, the writer and the director of the film said she “made it with several layers, so that a transexual person can say 'that was my childhood' and so that a heterosexual woman can also say it.’” Anyway, the film has a high 97% Rotten Tomatoes approval rating. The site also says, “In tune with the emotion and tribulations of childhood, Tomboy is a charming movie that treats its main subject with warmth and heart.” This seems like a movie that handles its topic well. Apologies to fans of the film for eliminating it from the rankdown.

And I’m saving Pokémon: Detective Pikachu.

giphy.gif

Edited by Steven_

source.gif

Okja

Okja is a very good Netflix movie (which makes it sound like it's not good but I think that there's an existing prejudice against Netflix movies which are now just as good or as bad as any major studio's output) directed by Bong-Joon Ho who we all should know by now is an incredible director. But I think of his three films of the decade included in this rankdown (because I don't think we included Sea Frog), this is the weakest one. Which again sounds like a not good thing but the other two are Parasite and Snowpiercer. The movie stars Ahn Seo-hyun as Mija who takes care of the titular Okja who is a genetically modified super pig. The movie also stars Hollywood actors Tilda Swinton, Paul Dano, and Jake Gyllenhaal. It's an overall good movie with that same kind of eclectic quality that you'd expect from a Bong-Joon Ho movie, but this is a fine spot for it to be cut especially considering its competition. 

Saving: Widows

Thanks to my Ghost Writer Dr. Megan

Girls Trip

Girls_Trip_film_poster.png

giphy.gif

Girls Trip is a 2017 comedy film directed by Malcolm D. Lee and written by Kenya Barris. The movie revolves around four girlfriends that take a trip to New Orleans for an annual festival and, during the trip, rediscover their wild sides and strengthen the bonds of sisterhood. The cast of the film included: Regina Hall ❤️, Queen Latifah ❤️, Jada Pinkett Smith ❤️ and Tiffany Haddish ❤️. It is seriously a great female cast. The movie made and oustanding $140.9M against a budget of $20M. It also got great reviews with a Tomatoscor of 91 and a Metascore of 71. Sounds like a good movie so I will try to watch it someday.

Saving John Wick

8a47827edbb79a5a92503b1e28ee2cf1.gif

It: Chapter Two (2019 dir. by Andy Muschietti)

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

tumblr_pr8xcxeiSn1qh1qauo5_500.gif

665617a5d55f9a51392e0e3d50b49db4.gif

These nominations were actually garbage. Horrible. Everything in between. I would never cut It: Chapter Two myself, but these nominations were so ridiculous that this movie stands out as the weakest option. This is the right thing to do, even if not what I want to do. Hopefully I give this film some justice in my write-up, which needs to be completed in 30 minutes before Us falls in danger. Here we go.

After the phenomenal success of the predecessor, I was really looking forward to Chapter Two. With the return of Andy Muschietti as the director and the return of Gary Dauberman as the screenplay writer, the film really was set-up to be just as much of a mega-success as the first. The badass Bill Skarsgård returning as Pennywise the Dancing Clown. The return of the same fabulous children that made up the Losers Club. An all-star adult cast: Jessica Chastain, James McAvoy, Bill Hader, Isaiah Mustafa, Jay Ryan, James Ransone, and Andy Bean. Benjamin Wallfisch on the score. Chapter Two had all the ingredients to be a perfect sequel.

Except as a fan of the novel, successfully portraying the story of the Losers Club as adults, 27 years later, is honestly an insurmountable challenge. There is just too much content!!! There is catching up with each of the individual members of the Losers Club and seeing what life has been for them away from Derry. Except if you're Mike. There is Stan's suicide. There is the reunion of the Losers Club. There is them slowly remembering the events of the past, considering they are now back in Derry. Pennywise wreaking havoc on the town of Derry. Mike explaining the Ritual of Chüd to the group and all of them coming to terms with having to fulfill the promise to defeat Pennywise. Each Loser searching for their artifact. Then the final battle with It and the completion of the Ritual.

It: Chapter Two takes on the interesting task of shoving a ton of content from the novel into one movie. The result? A 3-hour film that is faithful to the source material in terms of content, but loses a lot of the heart and soul that made its predecessor such an impactful film. I think that is where the sequel goes awry. The palpable chemistry between the kids of the Losers Club injected heart into the story. The stakes were so real. The rules of the dangerous game played between the Losers and Pennywise felt real. The message of the novel is perfectly conveyed in Chapter One. 

Chapter Two ditches the emotional impact for content. A lot of content. And sure, most of the scenes work wonderfully. Every individual scene of the Losers searching for their artifacts are pretty incredible. Bill Skarsgård absolutely demolishes his role as Pennywise once again, and he really carries this film on his back. The scares are still there. But the film is really missing a deep emotional impact. The suicide of Stan really is glossed over in about 0.2 seconds because the film has to carry on in order to fit everything into the running time. 

The film is just full of frustrating detours. The casting is perfect. Skarsgård is perfect. The visual effects are stunning. The acting is great. All of the components of the film are set-up so well! But the scattershot attempt at the plot makes the film meander along with no true sense of urgency. And the film should feel urgent!

The best moment of the film (besides Skarsgård - do you guys realize how good he is by now) is James Ransone as Eddie + Bill Hader as Richie. The two of them really bring everything and more to the film. So much so that the death of Eddie and Richie's subsequent reaction really is the most heartbreaking scene in the entire movie. I cried my eyes out in the theatre more than once at these scenes because wow. Just so good. Eddie and Richie have always had the best chemistry, and I am so glad that this film at least respected Eddie in his demise. And respected Richie as he grieved the loss of his friend and true love. UGH. Crying all over again.

I could write so much more about this film. But I have to do things so I need to get off the computer for a moment. It: Chapter Two is not a perfect movie, but still one that I love beyond words. There is still something special about it, even if it sacrifices way too much of the emotional heart that drives this story along.

Losers Club forever.

SAVING: Us

• Sad 2