Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

5b8c6b4003ce641ab2fb97f4

giphy.gif

A horror movie, Mandy was released in 2018 & it was directed by Panos Cosmatos while written by Panos & Aaron Stewart-Ahn. The movie is known for having Nicolas Cage, Andrea Riseborough, Linus Roache, Ned Dennehy, Olwen Fouere, Richard Brake and Bill Duke - out of this ensemble, I only know about Nicolas Cage. And it is Nicolas Cage that is portraying the lead role of Red Miller who wants to have revenge on a cult who murdered his wife - I assume his wife's name was Mandy hence the title of the movie? The movie was also met with positive reviews where Cage's performance receives praises for the way he is capable of conveying emotion in relation to the volcanic outburts. Also praised was the syle driven by Panos Cosmatos & other critics thinks this movie will become a cult favourite. But that being said, I have no interest in watching it and congrats to its fans for getting it this far.

SAVING: HEARTBAEATS

Edited by *Chris

Brave

giphy.gif

I’m gonna guess Le Miz is freaked so RIP in advance (i love the book too much lol) Anyway, this is about Brave. This was Pixar’s try at making a princess, and I would say it’s a mixed bag for sure. Set in Scotland, we follow Merida’s story, a princess that is set on defying customs that she doesn’t agree with and how that makes her clash with her parents (especially the mom). But when her mom turns into a bear due to a curse, she has to find a way to save her before it’s too late. Ok so what are the positives? Merida imo is a great character, Pixar did a fantastic job with her, and her relationship and struggles with her mother, her customs and culture, feel extremely pure especially to an audience that’s set on believing that being a princess is all that due to Disney princesses glossing over all the downsides for decades. Where does it fall apart? Adding a really unnecessary magic plot to try to bring the daughter and mother together and well, almost all the other characters feel like cardboard compared to Merida and Elinor. I feel they tried to poach too much of the Disney formula, instead of sticking to their guns. As it is it’s an interesting movie that could have been much better than what we got, especially from Pixar.

Save: The Artist

Edited by NGM

BIRDMAN OR (THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE)

3VcD.gif

You know, I want to like this movie a lot more than I actually do, and I'm still pretty surprised that it won the Best Picture Oscar because while it's technically a marvelous movie...I've always thought it lacked charm and relatability to make it a top-tier movie. But obviously a lot of people disagree with me (probably some people on this forum). Birdman (I am not typing out the entire title each time, lol) is a 2014 black comedy/drama film that took home four Oscars the year it was nominated, and four major ones at that - Best Picture, Best Director for Alejandro G Iñárritu, Best Original Screenplay and Best Director. It also garnered a pair of Acting nominations - Michael Keaton, Edward Norton, and Emma Stone in her first ever Oscar nom. The acting here is admittedly great and there are some incredible feats in this movie - the movie is sequenced to appear like it was shot all in one single take, which is super cool. There's a lot of interesting humor and some great inter-personal relationships here. Basically this is about a former superhero actor who's way past his glory days and acting in a Broadway play. Interesting concept and well-made, but again I wasn't really attached to it when I saw it and now's a good time to take it out.

Saving: The Hateful Eight

• Sad 2

The Theory of Everything

The Theory of Everything is a 2014 biopic about Stephen Hawking starring Eddie Redmayne as Hawking and Felicity Jones as his ex-wife Jane Hawking. As far as biopics go it's a perfectly fine biopic about a British person and if that's not your thing (as it's not my thing) then you aren't going to be really interested in this movie (as I was not). It details his life and his rise in the field of theoretical physics as well as the progression of his motor neuron disease. It also details the relationship between Jane and Stephen and how the pressures of his ALS diagnosis is both what allowed him to freely think about physics all day and what eventually stressed their marriage too much to survive. As most biopics are, it's probably more kind about its subject than the initial source (Jane Hawking's memoir). Anyway, it's a fine movie. If you are into this sort of thing.

Saving: Scott Pilgrim

Rabbit Hole (2010 dir. by John Cameron Mitchell)

FGxf.gif

An adaptation of the 2006 play of the same name by David Lindsay-Abaire, Rabbit Hole deals with a couple attempting to heal after the tragic death of their four-year-old son. The film premiered at the 2010 Toronto International Film Festival and was produced by Nicole Kidman via her company, Blossom Films. The film stars Nicole Kidman in the lead role of Becca Corbett. The film also stars Aaron Eckhart, Dianne Wiest, Miles Teller, Tammy Blanchard, Sandra Oh, Patricia Kalember, Mike Doyle, Jon Tenney, Stephen Mailer, Giancarlo Esposito, and Rob Campbell. 

There are significant differences between the play and the film, but luckily the playwright is also the screenplay writer for the film. So though the film feels different from the play, at least the new perspective is interesting and faithful to the source material. The movie is really good, but pretty much relies on the strength of Nicole Kidman to do all the work. Not to say that Aaron Eckhart in the role of Howie Corbett is bad by any means. Quite the opposite. His performance is just more understated, which makes sense because he is portrayed in the film to be the parent struggling less with the grief. Whereas Kidman really dives into this role and really carries the weight of the film on her shoulders.

Hence why her performance is the most praised aspect of the film. She received a ton of praise for her performance and earned herself another Golden Globe + Academy Award nomination for Best Actress. The film really is great though and is quite moving. The touches of humor also help to humanize the story and make it feel very real. It's definitely worth the watch if you are able to handle this sort of content. 

SAVING: The Witch

Les Misérables

tenor.gif?itemid=7816031

Anne Hathaway won her Oscar for this scene! This GIF is hilarious. I don't know why. :dead::dead::dead:Les Misérables is a 2012 epic historical period musical based on the 1862 novel of the same name by Victor Huge. There have been multiple adaptations of this book. The film is directed by Tom Hooper and scripted by William Nicholson, Alain Boublil, Claude-Michel Schönberg, and Herbert Kretzmer. There is a large ensemble cast led by Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, Eddie Redmayne, Amanda Seyfried, Helena Bonham Carter, Sacha Baron Cohen, Aaron Tveit, Samantha Barks, and Daniel Huttlestone. Apparently, this film sat in development hell for decades. The film takes place in France during the early 19th Century and tells the story of Jean Valjean, who is being hunted for decades by policeman Javert after breaking parole. Jean Valjean agrees to take care of a factory worker's daughter while being hunted. There are multiple storylines in the film though. The best moment in the film is obviously Anne Hathaway singing "I Dreamed A Dream." The worst part of the film is Russell Crowe attempting to sing. :dead: The film released to positive reviews for the direction, production value, musical numbers, and cast performances, particularly the performances from Jackman, Hathaway, Bonham Carter, Redmayne, Seyfried, and Barks. Russell Crowe was criticized for his bad singing. The film was a major blockbuster that earned $441.8 million at the box office. The film earned eight Academy Award nominations for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Original Song, Best Costume Design, Best Makeup and Hairstyling, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Production Design. It won three, but the only one that matters is Hathaway winning. It won many other awards too, including three Golden Globes. I really love the movie, but it has the worst reviews of all the remaining nominations and that is why I decided to eliminate it. Very hard to eliminate a movie that I love, but had to protect True Grit again.