American Idol Unpopular Opinions Thread

countrynineteen

The show needs a big reboot next season because as a die-hard from Season 1, I am BORED. These judges are not good and the show is so stale now. Bring back funny auditions too and also make Hollywood Week good again! I liked the drama.

27 minutes ago, frederick said:

The show needs a big reboot next season because as a die-hard from Season 1, I am BORED. These judges are not good and the show is so stale now. Bring back funny auditions too and also make Hollywood Week good again! I liked the drama.

I agree!

They rush everything nowadays as well. Back and ye olden days of Idol when it was on Tues/Weds (if I remember), after top 12, they eliminated one person a week, and they took their time. Now they have them cut 120 people each episode and make them perform on the same episode. We used to get a lot of quality Hollywood week footage but now it was a blink and a miss. 

10 hours ago, frederick said:

K.

You have a right to not like ABC Idol's format. But if you think the godsend of Idol is making fun of contestants with NO talent, or fake hell week drama... I've got a load of Adam Lambert Rolling Stone magazines to sell ya. lol

I hope Jellyroll, Miley Cyrus, and IDK an older female singer make the judging panel fresh again. But I for one will miss Katy, Luke, and Lionel.

• Like 1

I don't think the original FOX judging panel was all that. NONE of them except Paula when she wasn't medicated or whatever made her loopy. (Looking at sex assaulter Nigel Lythgoe here...) Were worth my time.

Randy became a huge prick. Simon couldn't care less.

I also disliked Harry Connick, JLO, and pitied Keith Urban.

Yet I adored Steven Tyler go figure. lol

I think the best male contestants have outperformed the best female contestants since at least the showstopper round.

Will, Odell, Quintavious, Roman, Ajii have given some of the best performances every round. Not a single meh performance between them.

And Abi is the most disappointing contestant so far. Hasn't really come close to her audition, it's giving Tyson Venegas.

• Like 5
  • Confused 5

43 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

I think the best male contestants have outperformed the best female contestants since at least the showstopper round.

Will, Odell, Quintavious, Roman, Ajii have given some of the best performances every round. Not a single meh performance between them.

And Abi is the most disappointing contestant so far. Hasn't really come close to her audition, it's giving Tyson Venegas.

We don’t always agree, and I’m not even a fan of everyone you listed, but I can’t argue with this. Spot on. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Odell, Quintavious, Roman, Ajii have given some of the best performances every round. Not a single meh performance between them.

Some of these guys have given pretty meh performances so I don't know all about that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hsamid said:

i suppose i agree? but i think the appeal for a lot of the female contestants this season is their unique tones as opposed to strong vocals (though there is no doubt they can do both!) for me, that elevates their performances. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, m1key said:

i suppose i agree? but i think the appeal for a lot of the female contestants this season is their unique tones as opposed to strong vocals (though there is no doubt they can do both!) for me, that elevates their performances. 

I can agree with this. McKenna and Jennifer(another unpop opinion lol) have my favourite tones in the comp.

There's also KB, and last but not least, Kblocks if we're talking unique...

8 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Abi has done far better than what tyson has done, even including the one performance where she was very sick

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

I can agree with this. McKenna and Jennifer(another unpop opinion lol) have my favourite tones in the comp.

There's also KB, and last but not least, Kblocks if we're talking unique...

I agree with the take on McKenna and Jennifer. 

4 minutes ago, StarWalker1 said:

Abi has done far better than what tyson has done, even including the one performance where she was very sick

Yeah we're gonna have to disagree on that. Tyson actually ended up having a few live performances where he put it together vocally. Ofc Abi still has plenty of time to do that.

I'd put Tyson's audition at the same level of abi's. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hsamid said:

Agree with the Abi take, like yeah she has a pretty tone and a good range but vocally she’s been iffy ever since her showstopper. I honestly thought McKenna would be doing better than she is too.

I would add Triston to the consistent males list :ph34rwave: I wasn’t a fan of the audition but everything since I’ve enjoyed

Edited by FloorWax
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Hsamid said:

I think Odell has been the strongest contestant overall tbh :stealth:

I don't expect people here to prefer his style/genre though.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, QueenKalie said:

Some of these guys have given pretty meh performances so I don't know all about that.

We're just gonna have to agree to disagree on that then. I haven't liked all their songs choices. But vocally, they've been on pitch and hitting the right notes, for the most part. 

Unpopular but I thought Julia gave her best performance of the season and I personally loved her song choice for her. It's the type of song she would sing. I don't think Aretha was easier than that? But Julia's performance is in my top 3 favorite of the night honestly. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

I know we like to scream “robbery” at the powerhouse female singers being eliminated but this season it really wouldn’t be that bad if they get cut early based on how they’ve been performing.

Jayna’s past two performances have both been messy, Nya is pretty decent but goes overboard with her rearrangements.

Julia’s audition was one of the best but I haven’t enjoyed a single performance from her since. Like I can’t believe that was what they closed last night with. 

The powerhouse males have been doing better.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, FloorWax said:

I know we like to scream “robbery” at the powerhouse female singers being eliminated but this season it really wouldn’t be that bad if they get cut early based on how they’ve been performing.

Jayna’s past two performances have both been messy, Nya is pretty decent but goes overboard with her rearrangements.

Julia’s audition was one of the best but I haven’t enjoyed a single performance from her since. Like I can’t believe that was what they closed last night with. 

The powerhouse males have been doing better.

The portion of users (not all, but some of them) that love female powerhouses will hardly acknowledge when they underperform and then are deservedly eliminated as a result.

I mean, this also happened in The Voice last week. Oops, there, i said it. :P

Edited by Gustavo527

4 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

The portion of users (not all, but some of them) that love female powerhouses will hardly acknowledge when they underperform and then are deservedly eliminated as a result.

I mean, this also happened in The Voice last week. Oops, there, i said it. :P

Hasn't everyone on The Voice been underperforming this season though? :dead:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/11/2024 at 9:12 AM, frederick said:

I agree. The judges are useless and offer no constructive advice. Telling everyone they’re amazing and could be a superstar does them all a disservice. The days of Simon Cowell-era judging is gone (for good reason), but there’s a happy medium. Shockingly, I thought Keith/JLo/Harry was the best panel because they all had different strengths and offered advice.

I’m fine with the joke auditions being gone, but six audition episodes and one Hollywood episode was a miss.

7 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I agree. The judges are useless and offer no constructive advice.

Katy offered a bunch of constructive criticism last night tho? Luke and Lionel maybe not, but Katy has always been a strong judge imo.

• Like 1