Jump to content

The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic


bones
 Share

Recommended Posts

Pete was far too moderate for my liking, but it was nice to see him do so well as an openly gay candidate, and I’m glad he saw the writing on the wall to pull out before Super Tuesday.

 

conspiracy theorist in me thinks he was promised something in return. Maybe a VP slot since the front runners are all in their 70s/80s. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, *Chris said:


Amy will drop out on Tuesday after MN - she’s the only one who can stop Sanders there. Plus she’ll be in her home state!

 

I expect Warren to do the same in MA where she won’t finish in first. 

 

That's what I'm hoping for. Then it will be 3 left. And Bloomberg needs to be gone fast. He's actually doing a 3 minute air buy at 8:30 on 2 networks tonight. He needs to quit and put all his money behind Biden.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Pete was far too moderate for my liking, but it was nice to see him do so well as an openly gay candidate, and I’m glad he saw the writing on the wall to pull out before Super Tuesday.

 

conspiracy theorist in me thinks he was promised something in return. Maybe a VP slot since the front runners are all in their 70s/80s. 

 

It was nice to see that Pete's sexuality wasn't much of an issue. Agreed though, I bet the DNC really wanted him out before Tuesday to consolidate the moderate vote around Biden.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Now we need to see Bloomberg humiliated on Tuesday. Amy drop out. Warren drop out.  Then Biden will be where he needs to get the nomination.  I used to think Bernie was the one but no Biden is the only one who can beat Trump.

I dont understand why people think Biden can beat Trump. I do think he is a decent hearted person (although super arrogant in his own right) but he can no longer form a coherent sentence.  Trump cant either but Trump also has a personality and is entertaining. And to half of those on the right being dumb is seen as an asset. It's just not seen that way to anyone not firmly on the right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Mayor Pete is out. Aides are saying he didn't want to be the reason a stronger candidate couldn't emerge to challenge Sanders and keep him from amassing too many delegates. Such a classy person. 

Whoa. I feel bad if you are my age but not a Bernie fan. There is literally no one possibly left to vote for with your issues in mind.

 

I hope some day the millenial generation gets a chance to take charge like the boomers did

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, sneaky said:

Whoa. I feel bad if you are my age but not a Bernie fan. There is literally no one possibly left to vote for with your issues in mind.

 

I hope some day the millenial generation gets a chance to take charge like the boomers did

Didn’t know there was a rule book that if you are in your 20s and 30s, you must support Sanders! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

 

That's what I'm hoping for. Then it will be 3 left. And Bloomberg needs to be gone fast. He's actually doing a 3 minute air buy at 8:30 on 2 networks tonight. He needs to quit and put all his money behind Biden.


4 - Gabbard still in :giggle:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sneaky said:

Whoa. I feel bad if you are my age but not a Bernie fan. There is literally no one possibly left to vote for with your issues in mind.

 

I hope some day the millenial generation gets a chance to take charge like the boomers did


It seems so bizarre to me that younger adults prefer a crazy old man. It must be the promises of all of the free stuff. 
 

I have zero confidence that either Bernie or  Biden would make it through 2 terms without serious health issues or worse. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:


It seems so bizarre to me that younger adults prefer a crazy old man. It must be the promises of all of the free stuff. 
 

I have zero confidence that either Bernie or  Biden would make it through 2 terms without serious health issues or worse. 

 

A young strong VP is essential for either one of them because the chances of the VP taking over or running in 2024 after a retirement is much higher than any administration in decades.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:


It seems so bizarre to me that younger adults prefer a crazy old man. It must be the promises of all of the free stuff. 
 

I have zero confidence that either Bernie or  Biden would make it through 2 terms without serious health issues or worse. 

 

Young people like Sanders because he doesn't take corporate money and won't do their bidding. And they do want the "free stuff" that people in other countries get.

 

I don't necessarily disagree that Sanders and Biden aren't in great shape (Sanders at least seems fine mentally), but Trump is no beacon of health himself. Mental issues aside, it's rare to see someone much older than him who is that overweight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:


It seems so bizarre to me that younger adults prefer a crazy old man. It must be the promises of all of the free stuff. 
 

I have zero confidence that either Bernie or  Biden would make it through 2 terms without serious health issues or worse. 

Its not  the "free stuff" . Its simply that I dont think anyone fundamentally deserves to have to run a go fund me page for cancer or deserves to live in poverty. He also takes no money from special interests or billionaires so his concerns are of the normal, every day working class. The class that despite having less in assets and influence actually works the hardest.

 

Plus most of us realize  taxes go up so its not "free". We just view it as the right thing to do. And honestly, a lot of what Sanders proposes is pretty middle of the road stuff in a lot of Europe.

Edited by sneaky
Clarity
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, *Chris said:

Didn’t know there was a rule book that if you are in your 20s and 30s, you must support Sanders! 

There's no one left who gives a rats ass at all about millenials. (Warren is not viable any longer) Biden literally told them that he doesnt care about their problems. Bloomberg is cool with racial profiling and sexism so most millennials wont go for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, *Chris said:


4 - Gabbard still in :giggle:

 

 

 

Yes, because  ...  Who else will call out the MIC for arming Terrorists? Who will denounce Russiagate? Who will speak out for Assange?  Who else speaks truth to power?  No one, that's who. They're all cowards, or warhawks  (incl Trump)!  And apparently, there are still many of us who want her message put out there, despite the DNC & MSM silencing her. She/we  will NOT be silenced, and will continue to finance her run.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jonathan said:

 

Oh I totally forgot she existed.

 

Really?  Well, here … let me remind you, of what she is capable of  (ending presidential runs), and why the DNC keeps her off the debate stages.    🙂 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, sneaky said:

Its not  the "free stuff" . Its simply that I dont think anyone fundamentally deserves to have to run a go fund me page for cancer or deserves to live in poverty. He also takes no money from special interests or billionaires so his concerns are of the normal, every day working class. The class that despite having less in assets and influence actually works the hardest.

 

Plus most of us realize  taxes go up so its not "free". We just view it as the right thing to do. And honestly, a lot of what Sanders proposes is pretty middle of the road stuff in a lot of Europe.

We aren't Europe though. 

 

There's also a difference between giving to a go fund me page by choice and being forced to pay for "free" healthcare and "free" college with higher taxes. The tax cuts helped a lot of Americans too, despite what people on the left say. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/1/2020 at 9:11 PM, psterina said:

 

 

 

Yes, because  ...  Who else will call out the MIC for arming Terrorists? Who will denounce Russiagate? Who will speak out for Assange?  Who else speaks truth to power?  No one, that's who. They're all cowards, or warhawks  (incl Trump)!  And apparently, there are still many of us who want her message put out there, despite the DNC & MSM silencing her. She/we  will NOT be silenced, and will continue to finance her run.

Tulsi is the only one I like out the Democrats. 

 

If Bernie wins the nomination the best thing he could do (IMO of course) is choose her as VP. Because there are Trump supporters that actually like her. 

Edited by DiFan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DiFan said:

We aren't Europe though. 

 

There's also a difference between giving to a go fund me page by choice and being forced to pay for "free" healthcare and "free" college with higher taxes. The tax cuts helped a lot of Americans too, despite what people on the left say. 

I I mean I'm not gonna change your mind but fundamentally someone shouldnt have to form a go fund me page to save their life.

 

Plus although my taxes may go up a few hundred bucks I wont be wasting 150 a month out of my paycheck on an insurance I cant really use due to the deductible. Thats a net positive for me.

 

I Used to be against tuition free college but I realized that to be competitive in today's world you need to have some sort of post high school training. The program would cover trade schools which we need more people to go to. Its not just to be a doctor or lawyer. Plus that is paid for using a tax on stocks and market speculation. Those things aren't a big part of most Americans day to day life

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As much as it pains me to have to somewhat agree with DiFan, I do. America isn't Europe. That's not to say that what works in Europe can't work in the USA, it absolutely can and would. However it would take a large shift in mentality among moderate voters across all party lines, and that's just something I can't see happening right now. As time passes and millennial and Gen Z voters grow in numbers sure, but there are too many middle-aged Americans who are okay with the status quo. Nothing Bernie is proposing is Earth shattering, and is the norm in a lot of countries which have significantly higher quality of life than the USA, but America is often stuck in the "our way is the best way" mentality, and that's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, ButterflyEffect said:

As much as it pains me to have to somewhat agree with DiFan, I do. America isn't Europe. That's not to say that what works in Europe can't work in the USA, it absolutely can and would. However it would take a large shift in mentality among moderate voters across all party lines, and that's just something I can't see happening right now. As time passes and millennial and Gen Z voters grow in numbers sure, but there are too many middle-aged Americans who are okay with the status quo. Nothing Bernie is proposing is Earth shattering, and is the norm in a lot of countries which have significantly higher quality of life than the USA, but America is often stuck in the "our way is the best way" mentality, and that's not going anywhere anytime soon.

True but we can try to influence change in the interim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amy is out. And will be endorsing Joe.

Quite surprised as I thought she would wait until tomorrow to do so. But this proves that she was in it for the right reason & not for her ego - she was one of the most authentic candidate, in my opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This will be Bernie's true test now. Klob and Pete both dropped out in a 24 hour period and are both going to endorse Biden. Sanders is still in pretty good standing in Texas and California per the latest polls, but who knows what will really happen since Polls can be super hit or miss.

 

Obviously, not everyone of Pete or Klob's supporters will go to Biden, but an endorsement from candidates who had pretty significant followings (Pete primarily) are never anything to scoff at.

 

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Biden picks Klob as his VP pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, TeamAudra said:


It seems so bizarre to me that younger adults prefer a crazy old man. It must be the promises of all of the free stuff. 
 

I have zero confidence that either Bernie or  Biden would make it through 2 terms without serious health issues or worse. 


 

It’s about anger. Young people are angry. Heck - I’m angry at the situation older generations have left us in, but I can look at Sanders policies and past and know what he’s saying is ridiculous. Add to it the narcissism and behavior of his supporters, and he’s just toxic. 
 

Pete on the other hand..I started off thinking it was ridiculous that a mayor was running for President, but he won me over. This is, yet again, an example of his high character. He could have held on and took his case to a brokered convention - and given the age of the other two, he might have had a case for himself. I sincerely hope he has a great political career. 
 

This moderate idea is cute though..what people mean is real Democrats vs Tea party Of the left. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...