The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

So many people said in 2016 after the fact, well Bernie or Biden would have beat Trump. We're about to find out. I honestly don't know who I'm voting for in the NC Primary.  I don't have a deep connection to any of these candidates like I did with Hillary in 2016 and then Kamala this cycle.  I like Amy a lot but she has no chance. Bernie and Biden are so old. Bernie has a rabid cult following like Trump so to me that sounds like he could be the biggest threat to Trump. I like Warren and Pete but neither have a chance. Bloomberg just eww.  I just don't love any of these people like I did Hillary and Obama who are the 2 who really got me into politics.

Tonight's debate should be fought in a mud pit. It should be interesting.

Edited by Jonathan
  • Like 1

I voted today in NC. I voted for Joe Biden. His close connection with Obama is why. I don't have a personal connection with anyone this year like I did Hillary and Obama, so I went with Biden. And I think he still could beat Trump. I just hope Kamala is his VP.

Edited by Jonathan

5 hours ago, Jonathan said:

I voted today in NC. I voted for Joe Biden. His close connection with Obama is why. I don't have a personal connection with anyone this year like I did Hillary and Obama, so I went with Biden. And I think he still could beat Trump. I just hope Kamala is his VP.

I voted yesterday in Ca, did the same, had to narrow it down to someone I think can Beat Trump without screwing up Medicare, and hoping he picks a woman VP

Feels like Joe is gaining a little footing now. Bernie as a frontrunner doesn’t wear well with the overwhelming majority of the party. He has about 30%  in his corner, and has feasted on 2 caucus states and very friendly New Hampshire. Whether his low ceiling becomes the deciding factor might depend on how long others stay in the race. If it was straight up Biden vs. Bernie, I think Biden would win easily. 

538 gives both Sanders and “No One” a 43% of winning more than half of the pledged delegates. Biden is at 11%. Nobody else is above 2%. Pass the popcorn. 

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-primary-forecast/

Edited by TeamAudra

6 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Feels like Joe is gaining a little footing now. Bernie as a frontrunner doesn’t wear well with the overwhelming majority of the party. He has about 30%  in his corner, and has feasted on 2 caucus states and very friendly New Hampshire. Whether his low ceiling becomes the deciding factor might depend on how long others stay in the race. If it was straight up Biden vs. Bernie, I think Biden would win easily. 

538 gives both Sanders and “No One” a 43% of winning more than half of the pledged delegates. Biden is at 11%. Nobody else is above 2%. Pass the popcorn. 

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-primary-forecast/

Overnight, “No One” has taken the lead. 

No One: 47%
Sanders: 39%
Biden: 12%

All others are at 2% or less. 

Too many of them have already said they'll stay until the convention. 

Not sure whether actual Dems should just consolidate around Biden, or if Pete should stay in too. 

Pete can't get the majority. He's slacking in minority support. However, I think too much is being said about Pete stealing Biden's white voters. I'm not sure he is. The fact that he was so close to Sanders in NH, and beat Sanders in Iowa, suggests Pete is taking some of Sanders voters too. Pete staying in may keep Bernie from reaching the threshold. 

I've gone back and forth between Joe and Pete. I've been loving the way Pete is going after Bernie. Took someone five years. (No, I don't like the way Bloomberg is doing it - it's petty.) But Joe hinting strongly that Harris will be his VP pick could win me over. 

Although, in actual voting, I'll go with whoever has the best shot at beating Bernie. 

Edited by mercfan3

I don't think Trump literally called the coronavirus a hoax at his rally, but the prospect of the people in his administration having to handle this in an election year is terrifying to behold.

On 2/23/2020 at 9:13 PM, mercfan3 said:

It was in the Mueller report for 2016. For whatever reason, Putin wants Bernie. Bernie has some sketchy votes, but I don't actually think he's connected to Putin. This is news that broke here this week. I literally posted the link. Putin just wants chaos in American politics. Both Trump and Sanders are polarizing. 

The other thing - Bernie doesn't have to be doing anything, but getting support from Russia, and Republicans will go scorched earth over it. Hypocrticial? They impeached a guy over a blowjob while calling our current President with his extramarital affairs a Christian hero. 

Of course he's not connected to Putin. Yes Putin probably prefers candidates who aren't in good standing with the DNC and have non-interventionist foreign policies. That shouldn't mean they're an "asset"--at least as the term is used in intelligence circles (having a personal/financial connection to a foreign government). And last weekend's reporting about Russian interference in this campaign was likely nonsense.

Edited by RWG

Not a good night in South Carolina. Bernie needs to put all his eggs in TX--he may do better there as its a higher hispanic population like Nevada

On the bright side, Steyer dropped out who was the only person taking votes from Bernie besides maybe half of Warren voters.

Klobuchar, Buttigieg, and Biden can continue to beat each other up. I know all three will stay in beyond Super Tuesday to blok Bernie from the 50% threshold but I think its funny. They all have such big egos but if only one stayed in that one would have a better chance.

Mayor Pete is out. Aides are saying he didn't want to be the reason a stronger candidate couldn't emerge to challenge Sanders and keep him from amassing too many delegates. Such a classy person. 

15 minutes ago, Drew said:

Mayor Pete is out. Aides are saying he didn't want to be the reason a stronger candidate couldn't emerge to challenge Sanders and keep him from amassing too many delegates. Such a classy person. 

His time will come, and he made history with his bid. 

Now we need to see Bloomberg humiliated on Tuesday. Amy drop out. Warren drop out.  Then Biden will be where he needs to get the nomination.  I used to think Bernie was the one but no Biden is the only one who can beat Trump.

1 minute ago, Jonathan said:

Now we need to see Bloomberg humiliated on Tuesday. Amy drop out. Warren drop out.  Then Biden will be where he needs to get the nomination.  I used to think Bernie was the one but no Biden is the only one who can beat Trump.

Amy will drop out on Tuesday after MN - she’s the only one who can stop Sanders there. Plus she’ll be in her home state!

I expect Warren to do the same in MA where she won’t finish in first. 

• Like 1