The Voice's Unpopular Opinions Thread V2

istersay

20 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

From what I've seen on IDF Todd's not really loved here but  he's certainly less hated than the usual male country singer on Team Blake, and especially compared to his reception in Mj's blog, they hate him to pieces there. 

MJ's though is essentially an un-moderated message board....it largely echos and amplifies the owners opinions.  Hate spews from every crack because it is well tolerated.  It hasn't always been that way.  When my friend Windmills Country (I miss her...God rest her soul) was a blogger there it was far more inclusive. 

• Like 3

Joana and  Allegra are overrated, while Megan and Micah are underrated.

- S16 has the best coaching lineup

- Cedrice was really robbed, along with Joei

- Rod Stokes, Ali Caldwell, Keisha Renée should have made the finals (I know it’s obvious)

my fav performances-

Blinds: Mike

Battles: Thunderstorm and Cesrice

Knockouts: Megan

PO: Micah/Allegra

T9: Megan/Todd

And now comes the most unpopular opinion EVER:

If Thunderstorm wins, he will be one of the weakest winners ever. He is quite overrated, and there are better singers this season that deserve the title more. He just doesn’t strike me as an artist, and he does not connect well with a song.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, echoap said:

Is he popular though? I think he's merely tolerated here. I'm assuming that he has no chance against Thunderstorm so that helps to alleviate the presence of the Team Blake quota. 

His fan thread here has 19 pages, the longest fan thread at IDF this season, so I'd say he's pretty popular. In comparison, Thunderboy's thread has 4 pages!

I don't care for Todd at all, but he's pandering to minivan, and it seems to work.

50 minutes ago, Naira said:

His fan thread here has 19 pages, the longest fan thread at IDF this season, so I'd say he's pretty popular. In comparison, Thunderboy's thread has 4 pages!

I don't care for Todd at all, but he's pandering to minivan, and it seems to work.

Good point. That thread isn't the most populated but seems like its fans are the most enthusiastic here on IDF, which isn't surprising considering that he's doing well on the show. 

4 hours ago, Spurrious said:

I'm with you....he has a couple of rabid fans and despite the facebook mania and being a finals member he's not getting much love on IDF.  It's like there was an oversized brush made during the S16 generic country male trifecta that paints everyone even close to the stereotype with green hateraide.  

Pretty sure he is popular with the audience demo though. 

He isn't hated in idf...

My favorite coaches are Adam (before S15) and Miley! I said it.

- Miley is literally so caring to her contestants, even outside this show. She sang at Janice Freeman’s funeral, mentored the artists more than anyone (except for Kelly) and she genuinely cares about her artists, and she doesn’t  care abt winning like Blake.

- Adam is so funny, and a great addition. I loved him in the earlier seasons because he would always fight to get a contestant, limitless. Although Blake isn’t my favorite, he would be incomplete without him. I love their bromance, and honestly Adam>Nick. 

- Kelly is a close second , I like that she toned her energy a little down  this season bc last season was too much. Now, she’s an excellent coach who has truly grown. She is a great vocalist, coach, mentor and person. I always liked her songs, even before the show and she’s so helpful to the contestants by taking them to tour.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, echoap said:

Good point. That thread isn't the most populated but seems like its fans are the most enthusiastic here on IDF, which isn't surprising considering that he's doing well on the show. 

You're right! I checked out his thread, and yeah, they are the most enthusiastic, although the sudden, unexplained love for Micah here might change that.  :wacko:  Spam much?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Naira said:

You're right! I checked out his thread, and yeah, they are the most enthusiastic, although the sudden, unexplained love for Micah here might change that.  :wacko:  Spam much?

I have no idea how that happened. Perhaps people from the AI forum? :haha:

• Thanks 1

Looking at the Best Coaches thread and poll, a lot of people voted Blake. I said he was solid, but I don’t think he is as good as some people think he is.

His coaching is basically letting the artist do whatever they want most of the time (p.e Chloe) and because of his fanbase they move forward over other artists from different teams regardless of their talent, and his success makes him look as the best coach. 

But when he actually gets involved on his artist’s song choices (p.e Lauren), he screws up badly like most of the other coaches (I would say Lauren’s loss was Blake’s fault, not Chris’ extreme pimping)

He knows what works and what doesn’t better than the others, but his success as a coach is thanks to his appeal and his fanbase, not because he is a good coach.

Edited by Daillon

Just now, Daillon said:

Looking at the Best Coaches thread and poll, a lot of people voted Blake. I said he was solid, but I don’t think he is as good as some people think he is.

His coaching is basically letting the artist do whatever they want most of the time (p.e Chloe) and because of his fanbase they move forward over other artists from different teams regardless of their talent, and his success makes him look as the best coach. 

But when he actually gets involved on his artist’s song choices (p.e Lauren), he screws up badly like most of the other coaches (I would say Lauren’s loss was Blake’s fault, not Chris’ extreme pimping)

He knows what works and what doesn’t better than the others, but his success as a coach is thanks to his appeal and his fanbase, not because he is a good coach.

I gotta disagree here. Apart from maybe her Top 10 performance (which was still pretty good), I dont think Lauren/Blake did anything wrong during her run, she was able to mix her different influences into her singing and even with the aformentioned Top 10 performance,managed to show some versatility, and I'm saying this as a Chris fan who thinks his win was well deserved, and I think it happened because apart from the pimping he got, he brought something totally different on the show, which was dancing, and that definitely appealed to the casual voters as well. That's my two cents.

37 minutes ago, Daillon said:

I agree with the part that his fanbase votes his contestants no matter what and they robbed many deserving people over the season and just because he had so much success people depict him as a much better coach than others. That's all true, although he's still a great coach. 

This segment though kinda struck me. Isn't that what they're supposed to do? Even though people give Blake sometimes a hard time, at least here, (not excluding myself) for pushing people to do songs he knows are going to work every time (like Let It Be and others). But definitely there are many contestants that he let do whatever they want their entire run and just helped them do it the best they could. I mean he could've pushed Joanna into a more country, folk lane and she would've probably found more success on the show and gathered a larger fanbase but if she doesn't want to do something similiar post-show, what's the point? To win the show? Lmao

30 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

I gotta disagree here. Apart from maybe her Top 10 performance (which was still pretty good), I dont think Lauren/Blake did anything wrong during her run, she was able to mix her different influences into her singing and even with the aformentioned Top 10 performance,managed to show some versatility, and I'm saying this as a Chris fan who thinks his win was well deserved, and I think it happened because apart from the pimping he got, he brought something totally different on the show, which was dancing, and that definitely appealed to the casual voters as well. That's my two cents.

Chris had his appeal and he killed it on finale night, I’ll agree to that. But Lauren’s song choices were so obscure and boring that prevented her from gaining any new fans, and that was the crucial factor in Lauren’s loss IMO. With better song choices, Lauren would have won for sure, even if we take Rhythm Nation into account (Carson said the Top 2 was extremely close in votes, a better run of song choices would have made a difference without a doubt)

Edited by Daillon

6 minutes ago, antikid said:

I agree with the part that his fanbase votes his contestants no matter what and they robbed many deserving people over the season and just because he had so much success people depict him as a much better coach than others. That's all true, although he's still a great coach. 

This segment though kinda struck me. Isn't that what they're supposed to do? Even though people give Blake sometimes a hard time, at least here, (not excluding myself) for pushing people to do songs he knows are going to work every time (like Let It Be and others). But definitely there are many contestants that he let do whatever they want their entire run and just helped them do it the best they could. I mean he could've pushed Joanna into a more country, folk lane and she would've probably found more success on the show and gathered a larger fanbase but if she doesn't want to do something similiar post-show, what's the point? To win the show? Lmao

I do think that is positive to let artists to do whatever they want, which is the reason why I think he is at least a solid coach, but what I meant is that he doesn’t deserve as much credit as he gets for his artists’ good song choices.

He is a very safe coach. No risks, no surprises and you can often predict what his artists are going to sing, which makes Blake hard for me to root for.

Don’t get me wrong, I think going for something safe is a smart decision. But a lot of the best performances from the show come from risks that paid off but at the same time didn’t take away from the artist’s own identity. One example of that is God’s Country by Rose.

• Like 1

John Legend is not a good coach honestly. John Legend has proven time and time again that he sucks at choosing song choices. He doomed Katie Kadan´s chance at winning by giving her crappy songs the last 2 weeks that counted the most. Really Lady Marmalade, then the showstopping ballad” I Don´t Wanna Miss a Thing. This season he dropped Thunderstorm for Mandi Castillo. In the battles he bussed Cammwess only to steal him back after his knockout moment (Interestingly enough, both the guys he dropped for her made the finale over her :haha:).  It was his fault that Beth Griffith-Manley went home because he had to use his save on Jacob (who flopped while she slayed). He only won his first season because it was a Legendary Season”. Maelyn could have literally won with any other coach. 

Edited by Maxwell
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Maxwell said:

John Legend is not a good coach honestly. John Legend has proven time and time again that he sucks at choosing song choices. He doomed Katie Kadan´s chance at winning by giving her crappy songs the last 2 weeks that counted the most. Really Lady Marmalade, then the showstopping ballad” I Don´t Wanna Miss a Thing. This season he dropped Thunderstorm for Mandi Castillo. In the battles he bussed Cammwess only to steal him back after his knockout moment (Interestingly enough, both the guys he dropped for her made the finale over her :haha:).  It was his fault that Beth Griffith-Manley went home because he had to use his save on Jacob (who flopped while she slayed). He only won his first season because it was a Legendary Season”. Maelyn could have literally won with any other coach. 

this isn't really an unpopular opinion tbh. but anyways I wanted to thank you for mentioning Beth because she is an amazing singer and doesn't get enough credit here, or really anywhere

• Like 2

I know right she deserves more credit, robbed asf. 😤

2 minutes ago, ashwinner said:

this isn't really an unpopular opinion tbh. but anyways I wanted to thank you for mentioning Beth because she is an amazing singer and doesn't get enough credit here, or really anywhere

Edited by Maxwell

3 minutes ago, ashwinner said:

Yeah, if anything this season solidified that he´s not a good coach, he just gets the most talent, which sucks, because he often wrongs them.

• Sad 4

32 minutes ago, Maxwell said:

Agreed. I liked John quite a bit in his first season, but I blame Maelyn for that.

He destroyed Katie and Marybeth with song choices (two of my top 3 favorites from that season), let his ego when it comes to Thunderstorm singing one of his sings get in the way of keeping him, and is just not good at long-term strategy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, MatthewPalermo said:

Agreed. I liked John quite a bit in his first season, but I blame Maelyn for that.

He destroyed Katie and Marybeth with song choices (two of my top 3 favorites from that season), let his ego when it comes to Thunderstorm singing one of his sings get in the way of keeping him, and is just not good at long-term strategy.

Honestly John would have probably dropped Maelyn if she sang one of his songs. roll.gif.e9b60ab9c5f2b858f101f55a18a11f5

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1